Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 21
Posted: 1/24/2014 5:18:46 AM EDT
Not mine, I didn't write it, but it is relevant to our political discussions here:

http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2014/01/23/rebuttal-to-another-why-wont-the-social-conservatives-just-shut-up-post/?singlepage=true

My friend Roger Simon writes that social conservatives are the only thing that can “save liberalism.” Social conservatives should just accept the wisdom of coastal, unchurched 18 year olds and surrender our core beliefs. Surrender on marriage, and allow it to be redefined by people who harbor nothing but contempt for the institution. It’s a recurring theme among a certain set within the larger conservative-libertarian movement. Shut up and surrender, they explain.

Where do the surrenders end? Those who share the shut-up sentiment never say. They just tell social conservatives to shut up already and give up on the issues that for many are the very reason that they got into politics in the first place. So we surrender on marriage, then we give up on life, and pretty soon, they’ll be telling us to give up on the Second Amendment, then the First, then something else. Always retreat, ever surrender, because they say so, never offering a glimpse of what might be the end game.
View Quote

The fact is, telling us social cons to shut up is a recipe for demoralizing and destroying the GOP at its base. It would take the cornerstone of the Right out of the movement. Coastal libertarians are not the base of the Republican Party. They don’t man phone banks (sorry for being gender normative there), they don’t conduct block walks, they don’t even usually run for office. They can’t even build a viable movement in their own states. They tend to just tell the rest of us why we’re wrong, when we’re doing those organizational things that make the party tick and give it some power. The lectures are getting old. Tell me that California’s Republicans have a single useful thing to offer Texas’ Republicans. Go ahead.
View Quote

I guess what vexes me in all this is that people in my own party, friends and allies, keep telling me to just shut my mouth on issues that animate me and millions like me. If these admonitions continue, then at some point I will disengage, and so will millions of my fellow evangelicals. In fact, many evangelicals have already given up. That’s one reason that the GOP is struggling. Elements within it keep telling its base that it does not want us. They keep acting like we’re an embarrassment.
View Quote

Mark my words: Without the core organization, finances, manpower and ideological support that social conservatives provide to the broadly defined Right, support which the libertarians can never provide just because the numbers aren’t there, what’s left of the Right will end up as gravel embedded in the road to serfdom. Don’t say you weren’t warned.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:20:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Saw it this morning. Fantastic column.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:20:42 AM EDT
[#2]
This.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:27:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

From reading your post history, I'm surprised by your comment.

I agree, the column is excellent.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:32:57 AM EDT
[#4]
It's certainly true. The social conservatives are the true believers.

So is the concept of the "libertarian revolution" in our ranks a good thing or not?
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:34:01 AM EDT
[#5]
coastal, unchurched 18 year olds
View Quote

Texas Gulf coast checking in. GTFO of my bedroom. Government should get out of the marriage business altogether. Also stop paying to kill babies.

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:34:24 AM EDT
[#6]
NO NO No.  We that hold any type of traditional values are what is wrong with this country.  Every problem with the US is our fault.

Everyone knows that the GLTB crowd is the epitome of righteousness.  The Pro Abortion crowd has the moral superiority over everything.  

Everyone knows that
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:34:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

NO NO No.  We that hold any type of traditional values are what is wrong with this country.  Every problem with the US is our fault.

Everyone knows that the GLTB crowd is the epitome of righteousness.  The Pro Abortion crowd is has the moral superiority over everything.  

Everyone knows that
View Quote

You mean LGBTQAIA.

Check your privilege.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:35:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm surprised that you're surprised.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:38:46 AM EDT
[#9]
" Coastal libertarians are not the base of the Republican Party. They don’t man phone banks (sorry for being gender normative there), they don’t conduct block walks, they don’t even usually run for office. They can’t even build a viable movement in their own states. They tend to just tell the rest of us why we’re wrong, when we’re doing those organizational things that make the party tick and give it some power. The lectures are getting old."

Bingo - for the most part, they don't do dick other than run their suckholes - taking pot shots at whomever the GOP is running, while not saying jack about the Dems... I don't doubt that Gary Johnson is probably a good man - BUT, he didn't do jack shit to get himself nominated, let alone elected... I mean, really - did he even campaign AT ALL???

And don't even get me started about that senile old fuckstick, traitor supporting Ron Paul - the people that supported that dipshit need to choke themselves... IMO, *most* of the people here claiming to be "libertarians" are actually moby piece of shit, 5th columnist liberals...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:38:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

It's certainly true. The social conservatives are the true believers.

So is the concept of the "libertarian revolution" in our ranks a good thing or not?
View Quote

The libertarians have some good, valid points.

Unfortunately, so many of them seem hell bent on slamming their ideology (the points we DISagree on) down our throats, rather then emphasizing where we do agree.

I hope that made sense.

Nick

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:41:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Since Roe vs Wade 50,000,000 million unborn children have been murdered,that's more than Stalin,Hitler,Mao,and other despotic tyrannical dictators have murdered COMBINED . It makes me sick to think that in this country people care more about their damn pets I.e. PETA,ASPCA,and whatever other animal "rights" assclown groups are out there! . Wake up America! How many of those children could have been the next Mozart,Beethoven,Chopin,Einstein, etc?
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:41:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mark my words: Without the core organization, finances, manpower and ideological support that social conservatives provide to the broadly defined Right, support which the libertarians can never provide just because the numbers aren’t there, what’s left of the Right will end up as gravel embedded in the road to serfdom. Don’t say you weren’t warned.
View Quote
View Quote

He's right.

If we don't do it their way, and only their way, the way that has been so successful as of late, we're going to be gravel on the road to serfdom.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:43:57 AM EDT
[#13]
If only Romney had been elected, or McCain before him.... we'd be well along the path to greatness already.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:45:22 AM EDT
[#14]
The only use I have for social conservatives lies in the fact that they are the enemy of my enemy.

Social conservatives are just as wrong about marriage (and many other issues) as the lefties are and that article is full of misconceptions and false portrayals. The author does make some valid point though.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:45:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:51:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The only use I have for social conservatives lies in the fact that they are the enemy of my enemy.

Social conservatives are just as wrong about marriage (and many other issues) as the lefties are and that article is full of misconceptions and false portrayals. The author does make some valid point though.
View Quote

I'm a Republican because I'm pro-business, pro-military and pro-gun.

I don't care how much weed somebody smokes in their off time, and I don't feel like teh gheyz are a threat to my own freedoms in any way. While I don't like abortion itself, I don't think it is a hill I want to die on, and the pessimistic side of me doesn't want to interrupt political adversaries while they're willingly reducing their own numbers.

Of course, I also believe that the US Military is stronger overall due to their (admittedly socially conservative) principles, so it's hard for me to pick a side and stick with it there.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:51:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You mean LGBTQAIA.

Check your privilege.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone knows that the GLTB crowd is the epitome of righteousness.  The Pro Abortion crowd is has the moral superiority over everything.  

Everyone knows that

You mean LGBTQAIA.

Check your privilege.

yeah I always get that confused
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:51:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

IMO, *most* of the people here claiming to be "libertarians" are actually moby piece of shit, 5th columnist liberals...

View Quote

you should name names!
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:51:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Great blog. I really liked the way he explained that libertarianism could be a tool to divide and conquer the Right. In the end we need to focus on what we agree on, not disagree on.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:53:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:55:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:56:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Im against social-conservatives because I am for the murder of those who do not contribute to the mighty state.

Undesirables must be ripped out of their womb. The unfit must be sterilized via government provided birth control.

Long live the state, death to the weak.

Wait…… I mean MY BODY MY CHOICE!!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a Republican because I'm pro-business, pro-military and pro-gun.

I don't care how much weed somebody smokes in their off time, and I don't feel like teh gheyz are a threat to my own freedoms in any way. While I don't like abortion itself, I don't think it is a hill I want to die on, and the pessimistic side of me doesn't want to interrupt political adversaries while they're willingly reducing their own numbers.

Im against social-conservatives because I am for the murder of those who do not contribute to the mighty state.

Undesirables must be ripped out of their womb. The unfit must be sterilized via government provided birth control.

Do this, but in your PAKI TAPE style. Please.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:56:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Since Roe vs Wade 50,000,000 million unborn children have been murdered,that's more than Stalin,Hitler,Mao,and other despotic tyrannical dictators have murdered COMBINED . It makes me sick to think that in this country people care more about their damn pets I.e. PETA,ASPCA,and whatever other animal "rights" assclown groups are out there! . Wake up America! How many of those children could have been the next Mozart,Beethoven,Chopin,Einstein, etc?
View Quote

Justin Bieber is today's Mozart and you're wanting 25 million more of him
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:57:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:59:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Great blog. I really liked the way he explained that libertarianism could be a tool to divide and conquer the Right. In the end we need to focus on what we agree on, not disagree on.
View Quote

No.

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:59:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I decided a long time ago that I was against abortion and I knew that day that I personally would never get one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I decided a long time ago that I was against abortion and I knew that day that I personally would never get one.

yeah, but you're going to get one of them gay marriages, right?
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:59:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Serfs worked less for their masters.

The only right you have that they didn't is you can move. However all land is owned by the government so it doesn't matter.

Lol, "Conservative." "Liberal." "Representative government"

Gross.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:we're going to be gravel on the road to serfdom.

Serfs worked less for their masters.

The only right you have that they didn't is you can move. However all land is owned by the government so it doesn't matter.

Lol, "Conservative." "Liberal." "Representative government"

Gross.

Mind blown...  
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:00:13 AM EDT
[#28]
I am so glad the  Social Conservatives are president now

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:03:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I live by my core values, what I refuse to do is attempt to apply my values to others. That would be morally wrong of me.

The question I have is why do so many ARFCOMMERS feel they are surrendering some of their values to others.

If you have a problem with something and it violates your core principles, don't do it. Quit worrying about other people so much. You will be much happier.

I know...I can't believe you didn't think of that either.
View Quote

THIS.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:04:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:05:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Well reading the tea leaves, it seems that a good portion of the GOP believes that a legitimate role of government is enforcing a certain cultural values is more important than actually cutting government.  I wonder how well this will turn out.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:06:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:07:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:08:16 AM EDT
[#34]
TL;DR  

cliff notes?
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:08:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Texas Gulf coast checking in. GTFO of my bedroom. Government should get out of the marriage business altogether. Also stop paying to kill babies.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
coastal, unchurched 18 year olds

To be fair they only got into the marriage business to force the gay marriage issue.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:08:33 AM EDT
[#36]
"Paki tape style" is a thing now?

Some sort of schism is already occurring.  I don't know that it can be stopped. I guess since I don't care if gays can marry or not, and think that weed should be de-scheduled and controlled by the states, it makes me one of the libertarians. I'm pro-life, pro gun, pro-defense, and anti-welfare and anti-amnesty though.  I don't know if I belong in the GOP. Since the GOP cares more about ideology than winning elections, I don't think it matters much. Just hoping we survive Hilary, and a true conservative leader comes along before I die.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:08:57 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Well reading the tea leaves, it seems that a good portion of the GOP believes that a legitimate role of government is enforcing a certain cultural values is more important than actually cutting government.  I wonder how well this will turn out.
View Quote
Hillary 2016 sure as shit

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:09:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:09:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:10:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Since when does "don't make stupid statements on hot button issues" mean surrender your core values?    If Social Conservatives can be confused that easily they certainly should not be elected to represent anyone.

It is a dumb article by dumb social conservatives who need to take a page from the Democrat handbook on discussing gun control and STFU!

Most Dems have learned not to poke the sleeping bear of gun control by staying quiet about it.  But everyone here knows they are still going to vote for the gun control.  What happens when Feinstein gets on the news talking about gun control?  It rallies the second amendment supporters to take action.  Social Conservatives yelling about abortion, marriage, or sex are no different than Feinstein poking the bear on gun control.  The end result is they have motivated their opposition and gain no new supporters.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:11:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep yep
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:12:31 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In the end what we believe in is inconsequential and we are only along for the ride, which is why I continue to look at homes in Costa Rica and work on my Spanish.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:13:05 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote
You realize this is the party founded on ending slavery right? You can huff and puff all you want but the party was founded on a social issue platform. Millions of humans each year are denied their constitutional rights and the libertarians are upset when the only good and honorable people left in this country stand up and say it is wrong and fight against it.

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:13:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would you vote for Hillary over a social conservative?
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:14:21 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't vote D

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:14:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
In the end what we believe in is inconsequential and we are only along for the ride, which is why I continue to look at homes in Costa Rica and work on my Spanish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

why costa rica? I hear belize is nice on the radio
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:15:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:15:42 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I don't vote D

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't vote D

Does not sound like you vote R either.

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:16:00 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

You realize this is the party founded on ending slavery right? You can huff and puff all you want but the party was founded on a social issue platform. Millions of humans each year are denied their constitutional rights and the libertarians are upset when the only good and honorable people left in this country stand up and say it is wrong and fight against it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, conservatism would be conserving status quo and keeping slavery as it was a long held custom and a long held value.

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:17:33 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Great article.

My core beliefs are just that.

Don't agree with me?  I don't care.

View Quote

If you do not brow beat the public with your own core beliefs does that mean you have surrendered them?  That's the whole basis of the article.  If the social conservatives can't make a scene then they can't vote in support of their core beliefs.  That's whole lot of .  

How about social conservatives just not poke the bear on hot button issues?  That's all that people are asking.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top