User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:05:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It went away with sir/ma'am, Mr./Mrs./Ms. etc...
View Quote

We still use all of those in the South.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:06:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Who needs life skills?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:16:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I forgot how. I went to a Catholic grade school and we learned it or got smacked. LOL. After not using it for 4 years of high school, college, and 15 years working with computers I forgot how to do it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:18:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You went to state university for no charge? Why am I saving for my kids' college?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went to a State University... I perhaps misunderstood the nature of that institution as well...

You went to state university for no charge? Why am I saving for my kids' college?

In Florida we have something called the Bright Futures Scholarship, if you have a 3.5 average in high school you get your tuition to any state university or community college paid for.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:30:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I have been thinking the handwriting is obsolete for a while now. Friggin kids can text 100 wpm So there is always somebody around who can type now while typing 25 years ago was rare unless you were a secretary. With the advent of smart phones regular typing must be swirling around the drain also as most younger types don't even own a laptop.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:48:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
the key words are Assign and Choose.

High school used to be training to get a job.  Shop class was so you could have some basic skills to build on when you started a trade apprenticeship.  He's not arguing against training for specific jobs he's arguing against assining those jobs to people without their choice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
*snip*
Quoted:
The purpose for PRIVATELY FUNDED education may be for whatever reasons suit the purchaser, be it culture, self fulfillment, whatever.

The purpose for PUBLICLY FUNDED education is so your rug rat isn't a drag on society and has a way to make a living.

I'm not paying for your kid to feel good about himself or to understand life's finer points. I'm paying now so I'll have a better chance and not paying later.

If this is the case, then why not just assign the kids to a profession and an apprenticeship?  It would guarantee they have work skills without wasting all that time and money on actual education.  

I thought the purpose of public education was to provide our nation's children with the tools to learn and excel with the hope that they would push our country and our civilization to greater cultural and technological heights.  I guess I misunderstood.

Yeah, that's exactly the same thing as giving them the basic education that will allow them to choose their own career.

I don't give a shit if your kid is well rounded or has a chance to be a rocket surgeon or president. I care that I don't have to pay for him to sit on his ass and stuff his face with McDonalds for the rest of his life. It's YOUR responsibility to see that he reaches his potential, not mine or ours.

Public education should be just that. Not sports or art or music or chess club. If you want your kid to play tuba or football, that should be on your dime, not mine.

So you do want public education to do more than allow them to not be a drag on society? It seems that you are arguing both sides...  An apprenticeship would allow a child to have the ability to assume gainful employment almost immediately without all of the cumbersome public education, thus allowing them to earn their own way and not be a drag on you and yours.  But you see that as crazy talk.  

the key words are Assign and Choose.

High school used to be training to get a job.  Shop class was so you could have some basic skills to build on when you started a trade apprenticeship.  He's not arguing against training for specific jobs he's arguing against assining those jobs to people without their choice.

Maybe that's the difference between a high school and a College Preparatory school. We didn't have shop or typing for that matter, they were considered vocational skills.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:02:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Cursive is much faster than block printing.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:24:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Cursive was taught when I was a wee lad, but when I got in the Navy it was "write in all caps perfectly", which is what I still do twenty+ years later. Other than signatures, I never use it.
View Quote

yup

I can still write cursive, but I type most things and when I do hand write its usually in block letters
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:34:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I don't want your field notes in cursive because you suck at it and I can't read them.  You can suck at printing and I can still read it.

View Quote
This. Times change, move on people (this is from a 55yr old)

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:51:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Useless like calligraphy
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:17:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I had a conversation recently with a lady at work.  I say cursive is worthless, she says, "what about writing a check?"

I look at her .

She says checks have to be written in cursive.

I told her, to her surprise it seems, that for the last 40 years I have printed out my checks and have not had one returned yet.
View Quote

Checks are way more antiquated than cursive writing.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#12]
A friend who works for a mortgage broker can tell me a ton of stories on the amount of people she encounters who can't sign a basic document with block printing looks like a 3 yr old on crayons.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:19:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Sometime in 2001 I was introduced to block lettering.  2 years later I was writing in architect because I was drafting.

Now doing 4473s on a daily basis, block lettering is a great thing to have as there's plenty of opportunity to clearly see what gun is being sold via S/N.

I do cap and base the letter I, however.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#14]
For stuff like that...yeah I totally agree but I am in the sense talking about personal documents or personal letters and various other informal writing setups.

But I do agree with stuff like 4473's.....block writing like architecture style makes sense.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

He's right. People will judge you, and poor handwriting is one thing that will cause people to think less of you.

Penmanship is a class marker.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's pretty much the same as grooming, if you care about your appearance you will work at it.
Penmanship truly is an extension of your appearance to others.  If you cant write ........

Full on retarded has been reached.

He's right. People will judge you, and poor handwriting is one thing that will cause people to think less of you.

Your on crack..
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:40:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Learned cursive, haven't used it since I was 9 (I'm 23 now).  I only use cursive to sign my name.  I can't read most peoples cursive because it's sloppy and formless, even for cursive.  I think kids should learn it just so they can read it, but that is about it.  Antiquated and useless.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#17]
My daughter is in third grade and learning it.  Her handwriting is better than mine ever was.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#18]
They have state and national competitions for penmanship man, if your daughters is great, sign her up for competition, it will be interesting for her.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:47:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Your on crack..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's pretty much the same as grooming, if you care about your appearance you will work at it.
Penmanship truly is an extension of your appearance to others.  If you cant write ........

Full on retarded has been reached.

Your on crack..

Your vs. You're.

Grammar is also a class marker.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:20:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Big waste of time.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:47:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:48:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top