Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/5/2014 3:38:02 AM EDT
So, I seem to have a part time job with Walmart to supplement my income. Ive worked retail before so I pretty much know what to expect. Other than the normal retail bullshit, what special hell have I opened myself up to by taking this position? I will be working the electronics department.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 3:45:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I think checking out THIS SITE may answer many of your questions
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 3:52:46 AM EDT
[#2]
The real money will be in all the 22lr you will be reselling.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 3:57:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/5/2014 4:07:41 AM EDT
[#4]
where is the batteries?
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 4:21:00 AM EDT
[#5]
They try to run Wal-marts on 1/4 of the people they should be so you'll probably be spread out not in just electronics and used to unload trucks, do inventory, throw freight, run register, and other shit that has nothing to do with what you were hired for. Wal-mart was ok to work for maybe 10 years ago. But now? There is a reason they all look pissed off and disgruntled. I used to do Inventory Control there. Prepare to get yelled at for the "Score Card" and be on the offensive even if you did nothing wrong. At least that's how the wal-marts are around here.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 4:21:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I worked for Walmart back in the late 80's for a year or so while I was going to college. Thirty years later, and the employees haven't changed. The weirdest ones will be stocking at night. (When I worked for them, the store was closed at night) It's funny, I visited the store I worked at in Texas last year, about half the people were still there, 30 years later. My position there was called "Modular" crew. A few of us would change the layout of the departments nightly.

My brother (RIP) started the same time I did. He made it all the way to store manager and was making good money before he passed.

It's a paycheck.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 4:38:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 4:47:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I am heading in now for my employee orientation. They already stated I will be working electronics. They also hired me with a 85 cent raise above normal due to past retail experience. I hate retail, but its a job. My full time job does not pay enough sadly.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 4:50:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Your user name will be appropriate.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 4:54:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I worked there for almost 9 years. (God help me). be prepared for management not to know what the hell is going on, and some of the most f***** up reasoning you can ever imagine. prepare for having to work in 4 or 5 different departments at the same time due to being short staffed,having to go out and push shopping carts in, people treating you like shit.

I don't know how it is now, but when I started, on Sundays you got an extra dollar premium. The extra 10 percent is nice but you don't get it on food, tobacco or alcohol

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 4:57:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Prepare for the most DERP you have heard in your life from other employees and shoppers.

Link Posted: 1/5/2014 5:03:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Shopping cart detail, remember we are all a team.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 5:24:28 AM EDT
[#13]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W2IHrZw3s0

Find a safe place to hide and call your own...............  

Link Posted: 1/5/2014 5:50:58 AM EDT
[#14]
My Father Inlaw works there and I don't think he likes it to much, he doesn't get into great detail and I don't really ask, just a impression he gives, I know this year they wanted him to work 12-8 on Thanksgiving(he was able to modify that a bit) and he worked like 6hrs New Years day, The fact that they expect them to work major holidays tells me they don't give two shits about there employees, nobody should have to leave there family on days like that, I also know a guy who works at the local Distribution center and he hates it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 6:00:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Keep good attendance throughout the year and call in sick on Thanksgiving, Christmas, July4th or whatever holidays they want the stupid assed store open.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 6:01:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Worked in receiving for 2 years

Also pushed carts
Worked layaway
Worked as a cashier

Yeah be ready for management to have no idea about anything
Walmarts chain of command always baffled me

Kinda reminded me of a battle
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 6:09:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Walmart also is a great opportunity for you to advance in the chain of command and they will send you to school on their dime if you want to go down that path.

Look at the competition you have from other employees, just about none, and it should be easy to get to  a management position.

Link Posted: 1/5/2014 6:23:06 AM EDT
[#18]
If you could get a job in Sporting Goods, you could make a fortune selling ammo to the reselling gypsy trolls.... that's a good paying gig. Make sure to sell it to them out the back door and hide it well... that's the secret.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 6:34:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Ask me anything.

AP is the best job and highest associate pay grade.  CBL's suck ass.  Pay close attention to when you take your breaks and do so within the time frame, so states are more strict on this than others.  You will never have enough coverage in yourndepartment (most likely).  

You can actually make good money careers wise if you move up in the company but it's all about who likes you.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 6:44:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Walmart also is a great opportunity for you to advance in the chain of command and they will send you to school on their dime if you want to go down that path.

View Quote

Look at the competition you have from other employees, just about none, and it should be easy to get to  a management position.

This, I've seen some of your other posts and you seem like a smart guy.

You should be a star there.  Just have the patience to put up with the initial silliness.

BTW if you could let me know when they have .22lr in Canton MI, I'll say other nice things about you.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 6:50:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Do you get a discount card?

~10% off will come in handy...

I have known a few people who worked for Wal-Mart. Some of them liked it. A friend got a job at the "bottom" with them working a part-time job in college, then when he graduated with a degree in business, they moved him to Arkansas to work in management. He loves the company.

A guy in our Ward works as the eye doctor at the one here. He likes it. Horrible hours, but he gets paid decent...

The promotion potential is there...

Yeah, I have had some encounters with borderline-retarded Wal-Mart employees. I hate dealing with Wal-Mart employees because they are getting sucky pay, management has one expectation, and then I come-up and ask them to help me...

In one instance, this summer, a WM worker was stacking shelves from boxes a few isles away from the ammo counter. I ask them, "can you help me at the ammo counter." The WM worker says, "when I am done here." Then he goes about his sweet time. Then another guy comes up, and asks for ammo. So there we stand while the guy -slowly- unloads boxes, and stacks the shelves. I grab a box, and say, "let me speed things up." The WM worker loses it at me. Yells at me. "I will get to the ammo counter when I am done here." The other guy waiting nods at me, whispers to his wife/gf, she disappears. She shows up 30 seconds later with a manager. The manager and the worker have words. The worker said, "you told me to have this done by xx time." The manager appologized to us.

Just yesterday, coming-back from Denver we stopped at a WM we don't usually use. I thought I'd swing-by the ammo counter to see if they had .22. Boom! They had some of the 50rd Federals. $2.50. I don't turn down .22 since things got weird. So, to the *TWO* WM workers behind the counter, I said, "I will take the limit on the .22." There was a guy and a girl behind the counter. The guy says "Sir, you are going to have to wait." They were organizing the knife display. I thought for a second... No effing way am I going to wait *at* the ammo counter for these two retards to finish their other task while I stand and watch. There was one guy there already waiting. He was just standing, watching them. I thought... No way am I going to stand here with this guy and watch these two work while I wait. I said, "I want to give WM my money today, and  my wife is waiting for me, pause your other stuff to help the customers standing right in front of you." The MW worker turns red, and says, "you might not have heard me say you are going to have to wait." I said, "you might not have heard me tell you I want to give your company my money. I will go get a manager, if you are not capable." I couldn't believe this guy couldn't take 5 seconds to open the ammo counter. The WM guy was beet red, and his veins were showing. He got me and the other guy ammo, and as I walked away, said to the WM lady, "see what I put up with."

Neither worker cared at all... --None at all--about customer service, or treating the customer right... Being confrontational to the customer... Unbelievable. There was a time you would walk into WM, see a big American flag "Made in America!" posters, and "customers came first" posters. I remember back when there wasn't any difference asking a WM employee for help, or asking a high-end store clerk for help... They both wanted to help customers. WM has gone down-hill for service. I hate dealing with WM workers now. I remember a WM worker over 10 years ago walking me around the store to help me find something I was looking for. They smiled, and were friendly and helpful. You would have thought they were earning a commission... They probably spent 15 minutes helping me... Weird thinking back on that positive experience after the horrible negative experience I had yesterday...

Yeah, it is a big company with promotion potential. Store managers earn six-figures, and all of them I have met worked their way up in the company. That is a good thing... Management has excellent pay and benefits if you can get there...

And the discount will come-in handy...
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 6:59:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Do you get a discount card?

~10% off will come in handy...

I have known a few people who worked for Wal-Mart. Some of them liked it. A friend got a job at the "bottom" with them working a part-time job in college, then when he graduated with a degree in business, they moved him to Arkansas to work in management. He loves the company.

A guy in our Ward works as the eye doctor at the one here. He likes it. Horrible hours, but he gets paid decent...

The promotion potential is there...

Yeah, I have had some encounters with borderline-retarded Wal-Mart employees. I hate dealing with Wal-Mart employees because they are getting sucky pay, management has one expectation, and then I come-up and ask them to help me...

In one instance, this summer, a WM worker was stacking shelves from boxes a few isles away from the ammo counter. I ask them, "can you help me at the ammo counter." The WM worker says, "when I am done here." Then he goes about his sweet time. Then another guy comes up, and asks for ammo. So there we stand while the guy -slowly- unloads boxes, and stacks the shelves. I grab a box, and say, "let me speed things up." The WM worker loses it at me. Yells at me. "I will get to the ammo counter when I am done here." The other guy waiting nods at me, whispers to his wife/gf, she disappears. She shows up 30 seconds later with a manager. The manager and the worker have words. The worker said, "you told me to have this done by xx time." The manager appologized to us.

Just yesterday, coming-back from Denver we stopped at a WM we don't usually use. I thought I'd swing-by the ammo counter to see if they had .22. Boom! They had some of the 50rd Federals. $2.50. I don't turn down .22 since things got weird. So, to the *TWO* WM workers behind the counter, I said, "I will take the limit on the .22." There was a guy and a girl behind the counter. The guy says "Sir, you are going to have to wait." They were organizing the knife display. I thought for a second... No effing way am I going to wait *at* the ammo counter for these two retards to finish their other task while I stand and watch. There was one guy there already waiting. He was just standing, watching them. I thought... No way am I going to stand here with this guy and watch these two work while I wait. I said, "I want to give WM my money today, and  my wife is waiting for me, pause your other stuff to help the customers standing right in front of you." The MW worker turns red, and says, "you might not have heard me say you are going to have to wait." I said, "you might not have heard me tell you I want to give your company my money. I will go get a manager, if you are not capable." I couldn't believe this guy couldn't take 5 seconds to open the ammo counter. The WM guy was beet red, and his veins were showing. He got me and the other guy ammo, and as I walked away, said to the WM lady, "see what I put up with."

Neither worker cared at all... --None at all--about customer service, or treating the customer right... Being confrontational to the customer... Unbelievable. There was a time you would walk into WM, see a big American flag "Made in America!" posters, and "customers came first" posters. I remember back when there wasn't any difference asking a WM employee for help, or asking a high-end store clerk for help... They both wanted to help customers. WM has gone down-hill for service. I hate dealing with WM workers now. I remember a WM worker over 10 years ago walking me around the store to help me find something I was looking for. They smiled, and were friendly and helpful. You would have thought they were earning a commission... They probably spent 15 minutes helping me... Weird thinking back on that positive experience after the horrible negative experience I had yesterday...

Yeah, it is a big company with promotion potential. Store managers earn six-figures, and all of them I have met worked their way up in the company. That is a good thing... Management has excellent pay and benefits if you can get there...

And the discount will come-in handy...
View Quote

And this is what happens to any company after the founder is gone and no longer overseeing.
Do you think Ray Kroc ever would have allowed McDonalds to get rid of the delicious fried apple pie and replace it with that two for a buck garbage they push all the time? not on your life.
I have low expectations at Walmart stores so I am never disappointed with them. Rude employees are just one more symptom of a society where we no longer seem to teach kids any values at all.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 7:02:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a good buddy who used to work there.

Continuous line of derps all day long, I think Walmart really draws all the derps out of their hiding places.  He also commented that even though he managed Sporting Goods, he commonly had to work 2 or 3 departments because they were always short handed.

It's a job...
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 7:03:27 AM EDT
[#24]
why is the return desk line always so long at almost midnite?

why is the return desk person always look so frazzled and beaten up?

OP, I see alot of employees there look to be in bad shape physically. Start a trend and help these people. They are our source for cheap-er ammo.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 7:14:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I am heading in now for my employee orientation. They already stated I will be working electronics. They also hired me with a 85 cent raise above normal due to past retail experience. I hate retail, but its a job. My full time job does not pay enough sadly.
View Quote

As easy as the word "hero" is thrown around these days.......... I'm going to go ahead and call you a "hero".  Seriously.  Imagine how different this country would be today if your attitude and willingness to work was contagious. This country rose to greatness by the sweat of people willing to what had to be done. If anonymous internet pats on the back carry any weight with you at all, you are welcome to mine.

(I know hero is a little strong, but you are heads and shoulders above 90% of what is called heroic today)
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 7:16:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Do not try and disarm someone carrying a gun

Link Posted: 1/5/2014 8:16:19 AM EDT
[#27]
You have to wait 90 days before you can get your discount
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 10:29:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Well I am back from orientation. Already saw lots of Derp. The Electronics Dept in this particular store is also next to sporting goods , toys and home improvement. The HR lady already stated I will probably be covering all of the departments. Now here is the herp. The manager of all these departments was there alone today, not one employee working in any of those departments. He was running the floor by himself. I saw the schedule, they have 2 full timers and now two part timers (including me) covering all of those departments. So basically even when there is someone there to cover those departments, that person is alone with no help. Well at least the time should go quickly lol

And now for the Derp. She set me up to work with the other part timer next week for "training". And in the next breath stated that other departments pull him all the time to unload trucks, do shopping carts etc. So it sounds like I wont really have any training other than watching some videos. If anyone knows anything about selling cell phones (part of my job), they will know that you cant just jump in and start doing contracts, there is a lot to learn. Oh my this should be fun. I just feel sorry for the customers that need my help over the next few months. At least my background in computers and being a USCC agent should help some.

The people so far seemed decent enough.

Just color me apprehensive, the night before I start my first shift I doubt I will be getting much sleep.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 10:31:58 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Ask me anything.

View Quote

AP is the best job and highest associate pay grade.  CBL's suck ass.  Pay close attention to when you take your breaks and do so within the time frame, so states are more strict on this than others.  You will never have enough coverage in yourndepartment (most likely).  

You can actually make good money careers wise if you move up in the company but it's all about who likes you.
Sorry, I had a ton of abbreviations thrown at me today. What is AP and CBL?

Even though I am not a fan of retail, I am already seeing the good potential for advancement. I will have to sit tight for 6 months and keep my eyes and ears peeled to see whats what.

Link Posted: 1/5/2014 10:35:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
They try to run Wal-marts on 1/4 of the people they should be......
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 10:47:08 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask me anything.

Even though I am not a fan of retail, I am already seeing the good potential for advancement. I will have to sit tight for 6 months and keep my eyes and ears peeled to see whats what.

CBLs are the videos you watch on the computer

Link Posted: 1/5/2014 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So, I seem to have a part time job with Walmart to supplement my income. Ive worked retail before so I pretty much know what to expect. Other than the normal retail bullshit, what special hell have I opened myself up to by taking this position? I will be working the electronics department.
View Quote

Retail at Walmart is not easy in some respects, the worse is dealing with irate stupid customers and bad Managers.

I spent almost 3 years on the floor ( Paper/Chemicals and the Garden Center as a Dept. Manager for both. )

I had fun, but I burned out and left.
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 10:51:25 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask me anything.

CBLs are the videos you watch on the computer

I start those on Wednesday, she said it would take about 8 hours.

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:20:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask me anything.

Computer Based Learning (I think, forget that one sometimes).  You'll have to do them every so often and it's required.  They're dumb as shit.  Mine took a week.

AP is asset protection or what walmart calls loss prevention.  Or sometimes known as the bored person walking around the store a million times a day.

Link Posted: 1/8/2014 4:12:27 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask me anything.

Computer Based Learning (I think, forget that one sometimes).  You'll have to do them every so often and it's required.  They're dumb as shit.  Mine took a week.

AP is asset protection or what walmart calls loss prevention.  Or sometimes known as the bored person walking around the store a million times a day.

I asked about that, the store I will be working at doesn't have one.

Link Posted: 1/8/2014 4:17:37 AM EDT
[#36]
CBL's suck.  I think they find people with the most monotone, boring voice to narrate them.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 4:22:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Keep a close eye on the powerwashers.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 4:25:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Good to see you have a positive attitude going in to the new job.  Suck it up, change your attitude and become the next manager.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 5:06:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Good luck. They had a company come in a few years ago and determine how long a job should take. So now everyone is on a timer. Customer service went to shit. The return desk person gets yelled at by angry customers all day, hence their appearance. The current stooges are hired in because no one else wants to work there. Our store uses a temp agency.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 5:12:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

What is the difference between the $100 Samsung and $50 RCA sound bars you sell? I just need something for sound, not home theater.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 5:15:13 AM EDT
[#41]
In the day, didn't Wal-Mart give stock and that stock was growing. Sam wanted people to feel like they were part of the business.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 5:19:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Asset Protection is the most fun you can have at Walmart.  

OP prepare for a week or two of sitting in front of computer screens at orientation.

Good luck in your new career.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 5:59:00 AM EDT
[#43]
I worked there for almost 2 years about ten years ago.  It was fun when I worked sporting goods but everything else sucked shit.  I made some bad choices in life so I still work retail albeit a different chain.  No matter how hard I work or how much I get done most days can be summed up as a big shit sandwich of derp.   Its a progressives circle jerk masturbatory wet dream utopia.  Accountability is sliding scale based off of your physical capability/how much you suck up to the person above you/how many protected classes you fall under so basically as a physically fit white heterosexual male without bastard offspring you will be judged by very strict standards and no amount of ass busting will earn you a decent eval or raise.  The worst examples of society will show up pretty much nonstop to try and con you for free shit, steal, and generally be a pain in the ass and not take one damn bit of genuine advice when you are trying to help them but that's understandable because your coworkers are mostly so stupid anyone trusting you for wearing the uniform has questionable sanity and intellect at best.  The supreme law of the land, however, is DO NOT GET A CUSTOMER COMPLAINT!!! ABOVE ALL ELSE DO NOT GET COMPLAINED ON!!!! So prepare to bend over and kiss the ass of the worst of the worst.  So yeah basically I drink myself to sleep at night.  Thanks for reading.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:03:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Get EuroPacific Investment Adviser and economic commentator Peter Schiff to go outside and solicit donations to help supplement your income.  

I think Schiff got some death threats for this stunt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLr5oWfoWRY
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:05:36 AM EDT
[#45]
shitty hours, and your towns finest citizens wanting sudafed.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:07:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what I would do.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:12:18 AM EDT
[#47]
No one else but me mourns the passing of the fried apple pies at McDonalds? I am shocked.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:17:59 AM EDT
[#48]
expect to preform the duties of 3+ jobs but only getting paid for 1.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:22:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If you store has a TLE (Tire and Lube Express) work in that department.

I worked at a Walmart TLE for a while, it wasn't the lowest or highest paying garage around, but it was the least annoying. In the TLE your job is to change oil, install tires and once in a while install a battery or windshield wiper blade. No snake oil sales drives, no shelf stocking (once a week or so you have to stock the oil filter supply down in the oil pit), the TLE closes in the evening even if the store doesn't. I was never tasked with anything outside of the TLE, ever.

The pay was also a couple of bucks an hour more than any other department as well. At the Walmart I worked at starting pay for most departments was a bit above minimum wage ($8.50IIRC), in the TLE is was right around $10.
View Quote

I worked in a Walmart TLE as a Service Technician, and my experience as not like yours AT ALL. Quite the opposite actually. Literally everything you said in your post that you didn't have to do, I had to do every day. I can be more specific if you want.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:23:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
expect to preform the duties of 3+ jobs but only getting paid for 1.
View Quote

also this.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top