Site Notices
10/30/2014 3:55:04 PM
Author
Made it home safely
NRA
Posted: 1/3/2014 9:15:31 AM
Link

Now they really have reason to be stressed out.
More than 100 suspected scammers — most of them retired city cops and firefighters — could be arrested as soon as next week for making bogus claims of stress-related illnesses to bilk Social Security for big bucks, the Daily News has learned.

They allegedly maintained that they were too wigged out to work when, in reality, they were mentally and emotionally fit, sources told The News.
At least some of the former NYPD and FDNY members targeted in the probe benefit from 9/11 pensions, according to sources.

"Too wigged out to work"? Who wrote this?
"You do realize that you are agreeing with Extorris. When it comes to lowest common denominators...he's number 1. Good people ask themselves "What would Extorris do?" then do the opposite"- Dehammer
aquaman67
Just Let It Go
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2014 9:17:53 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Extorris:
Link

More than 100 suspected scammers — most of them retired city cops and firefighters — could be arrested as soon as next week for making bogus claims of stress-related illnesses to bilk Social Security for big bucks, the Daily News has learned.

They allegedly maintained that they were too wigged out to work when, in reality, they were mentally and emotionally fit, sources told The News.
At least some of the former NYPD and FDNY members targeted in the probe benefit from 9/11 pensions, according to sources.

Rocco Parascandola , Shayna Jacobs AND Corky Siemaszko

No matter what your station in life, stride through the world without apology or excuse.
Shenanigunz
Cheeky and fun!
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2014 9:18:17 AM
That's a good start. Now if someone would go after the millions of other people scamming Social Security and Medicaid for bogus disabilities...
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Robert J. Hanlon
1srelluc
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2014 9:18:40 AM
I'm guessing the getting caught part is the news here.
"George, I am an old man, and most people hate me. But I don't like them either so that makes it all even." .....Henry F. Potter
argunrunner
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2014 9:26:05 AM
As I fire fighter I sadly see this as only getting worst across the job spectrum , and there are no excuses for it. Wait till some cops or fire fighters start claiming PTSD and want disability, do you really think all these vets on disability truly have it? We had a woman just leave our department, she was in the navy and got disability for PTSD. If the federal government starts stating something is worth disability the local governments follow sooner or later. Also please don't think I am putting down all veterans as I am grateful to those whom truly serve, but we all know there are millions that mooch of that system as well.
Extorris
Made it home safely
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2014 9:32:26 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By 1srelluc:

I think it's more that so many got caught at once. They nail individual retirees all the time. I know of one who got out on a shoulder injury and was caught on video working his roofing company job going up a ladder with bundles of shingles on his "bad" shoulder.
"You do realize that you are agreeing with Extorris. When it comes to lowest common denominators...he's number 1. Good people ask themselves "What would Extorris do?" then do the opposite"- Dehammer
G-REM
Don't insinuate with me, dude
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2014 9:34:03 AM
Link

Getting nervous, extorris? I'll IM directions to my upstate place, you can lay low for a bit.
NRA GOA NYSRPA JPFO CCRKBA 2AF. Join to protect your rights
Sgt911
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2014 9:36:01 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By argunrunner:
As I fire fighter I sadly see this as only getting worst across the job spectrum , and there are no excuses for it. Wait till some cops or fire fighters start claiming PTSD and want disability, do you really think all these vets on disability truly have it? We had a woman just leave our department, she was in the navy and got disability for PTSD. If the federal government starts stating something is worth disability the local governments follow sooner or later. Also please don't think I am putting down all veterans as I am grateful to those whom truly serve, but we all know there are millions that mooch of that system as well.

This is a trend. A retired Lt friend of mine said they were going to give it away anyway, why not him?
"Is the Poop Deck really what I think it is?" - Homer Simpson

"A man can't just sit around" - Larry Walters. 1982
Extorris
Made it home safely
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2014 9:38:21 AM
[Last Edit: 1/3/2014 9:38:52 AM by Extorris]
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By G-REM:
Getting nervous, extorris?

Not in the least. One of the benefits of having a physical injury with MRI results.
Plus I don't get SSDI.
azjeeper
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2014 9:38:32 AM
This can't be, they're heroes.
ggee87
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2014 9:41:45 AM
As a FF I'm ashamed at what some of our people stoop to. They give the rest a bad name. . I hope they get the book thrown at them.

We are paid to handle stress better than other people both physical and emotional.
TrijiCog
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2014 9:45:41 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By azjeeper:

This is the most confusing part,heroes aren't supposed to lie.
azjeeper
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2014 9:54:21 AM
[Last Edit: 1/3/2014 9:54:51 AM by azjeeper]
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By TrijiCog:
Originally Posted By azjeeper:

This is the most confusing part,heroes aren't supposed to lie.

TheRealSundance
Field Marshal
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2014 9:58:58 AM
Link

Are you really surprised? Worked for a local government and the ex police chief was now the county executive. Busted a police officer with a PI scamming workers comp...know what the County Executive did...made it so he had to be informed before any surveillance could be put on an officer and only he could order it.

He's a liberal douche.
"You got to lick it, before you stick it."©
What would you die for? Unlikley for the average dipshit. Most people just ain't worth it.--drjarhead
I'm SNARKY with the moderator
Dehammer

Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2014 10:07:20 AM
After reading the thread title I knew who the author was before my eyes could slide over to read it.
fighter443
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2014 10:10:48 AM
Originally Posted By 1srelluc:

I think it's more that so many got caught at once. They nail individual retirees all the time. I know of one who got out on a shoulder injury and was caught on video working his roofing company job going up a ladder with bundles of shingles on his "bad" shoulder.
I know of a firefighter who did the same thing. People like that make it tough for you and me to get disability if we really need it.
1srelluc
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2014 10:13:43 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Dehammer:
After reading the thread title I knew who the author was before my eyes could slide over to read it.

Yeah, Extorris always delivers on the NYPD fail.

Sorta surprised he missed the "Unarmed mentally challenged man in shootout with the NYPD" though in his defense the story was a bit under-developed.
"George, I am an old man, and most people hate me. But I don't like them either so that makes it all even." .....Henry F. Potter
TheRealSundance
Field Marshal
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2014 10:17:46 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By fighter443:
Originally Posted By Extorris:

I know of a firefighter who did the same thing. People like that make it tough for you and me to get disability if we really need it.

There was a 60 minutes story ob NYC school janitors...they found some that were receiving full medical disability claim that were life guards at the beach. when confronted, they found nothing wrong with what they were doing.
"You got to lick it, before you stick it."©
What would you die for? Unlikley for the average dipshit. Most people just ain't worth it.--drjarhead
I'm SNARKY with the moderator
maximumj
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2014 10:21:31 AM
When are they going after all the juiceheads getting free roids through insurance?
Hamel
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2014 10:28:23 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By TheRealSundance:
Originally Posted By fighter443:
Originally Posted By Extorris:

There was a 60 minutes story ob NYC school janitors...they found some that were receiving full medical disability claim that were life guards at the beach. when confronted, they found nothing wrong with what they were doing.

I'm sure every major city there's stories of this.

FF in Boston on disbility for a back injury was nabbed in a body building contest a few months later. FD told him to return to work, he refused and was fired and charged with fraud but he was aquitted of that charge
VA-gunnut
Because I said so, that's why!
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2014 10:50:14 AM
"Site Staff remembers when you could buy a keg of musket balls for $1.75"

I'm never wrong. I thought I was once, but I was mistaken.
Extorris
Made it home safely
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2014 11:03:12 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By 1srelluc:
Originally Posted By Dehammer:

Yeah, Extorris always delivers on the NYPD fail.

My old partner who's still working sends me links every day for a good laugh.
Extorris
Made it home safely
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2014 11:04:13 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By maximumj:
When are they going after all the juiceheads getting free roids through insurance?

NYPD fired a bunch of guys a few years back for that. (Except the Chief who was also busted, my shocked face )
49north
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2014 11:17:34 AM
It's a tough job being a role-model and hero.
Yeah Police!
556therapy
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2014 11:22:04 AM
Must depend on location because I know cops and firefighters who legitimately need and can't get it. A couple have sued and received but it took about 2 years.
SS109
Ted Cruz 2016
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2014 11:26:59 AM
In Denver, it seems like more firefighters and cops retire with disability than without.
When They Knock Down Your Front Door, How You Going To Come? With Your Hands On Your Head Or On The Trigger Of Your Gun?
Bassist Paul Simonon-The Clash
Extorris
Made it home safely
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/3/2014 11:42:52 AM
[Last Edit: 1/3/2014 1:20:28 PM by Extorris]
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By 556therapy:
Must depend on location because I know cops and firefighters who legitimately need and can't get it. A couple have sued and received but it took about 2 years.

I worked with guys who tried for over 5 years before getting it.
ETA: Disability pension not SSDI.