Quoted:
Who shops at Target?

View Quote

MILFs
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was at costco getting a screaming deal on a laptop - last one at the price - get to the register, chase wont transact it... fuck

luckily the wife unit had her debit card also and she hadnt done business with target in the affected date range..

wish Chase had notified me instead of just jacking my card.  I spent about an hour on the phone waiting to get a person who could help me to send a new card.
View Quote

Its been all over the news like a rash.  I'm not affected and I can't help reading the news on it over and over and over.  Its not like affected customers don't know they shopped there.  You could have called your card bank and possibly avoided the issue.

You want your bank to call several hundred thousand (conservative estimate) customers?

I love how you don't mention Target as you are spreading blame elsewhere.

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:07:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Who shops at Target?

View Quote

I do.

They take pieces of paper with pictures of dead presidents on them as payment. Somebody has to physically steal it out of my pocket if they want it from me without earning it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#5]
chase has done me right so far... EXCEPT (and its a HUGE except) for my home loan... man o man they fucked the dog on that one... im happy with the terms but holy fuck it took 68 days to approve and every paper they needed they had within the first 72 hours of my starting the whole process..

any for the first time in over a year i purchased something in a store that wasnt a grocery store or homedepot using my debit card... of course it was target... we will see how this goes in the end
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#6]
My card from my local credit union was getting beat up, so I just went ahead and replaced it. Took 10 minutes at the branch. Forgot to make sure there's no link between checking and savings (e.g., overdraft protection). We had bad credit card debt and the one I have now is literally only for car rental purposes.

I could live without what's in the checking account for 10 days.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:25:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Who shops at Target?

View Quote

People with teeth that haven't made children with blood relatives.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Local news just showed a story of Chase opening many branches today because of the Target issue.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:46:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Capitol One called us early Friday AM. Have new card as of yesterday.

someone wanted a flight to middle east but they caught it early.

kudos to Capitol One.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You are lucky Chase just didn't cancel your card and make you wait for a new one.  
View Quote

true story
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:54:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who shops at Target?

So there are no stores in az, I assume?
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So I go out to do some shopping and I swing by the ATM. Suddenly I discover that I can 't take out more than $240 bucks. So I call Chase to find out what the fuck their fucking problem is. Apparently, I was fucking identified as an At Risk Customer because I bought shit from fucking Target with my goddamn debit card. So Chase fucking lowered my goddamn ATM limit to $250.

I don't know whether I am pissed at Chase, Target, the fucking piece of shit hackers trying to steal my goddamn money or all three! Alls I know is that I can 't have my fucking money now because some jerkoff with a computer thought he was going to fucking score.

I knew these goddamn debit cards were bad fucking news! I refuse to get one until they flat eliminated the ATM card and forced their bullshit on everyone. Fucking bankers!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Actually I'm pretty sure they did score....

This really has nothing to do with debit cards and everything to do with incompetent IT people.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 11:12:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Would you rather bitch about loosing all your money?
View Quote
My money?

THEIR money. If they get ripped off then it's THEIR money that gets stolen. I get my money back.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 12:41:11 AM EDT
[#14]
op, why are u using a debit card?  

you like to be raped?  Do n't use a faux credit card bro.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 12:51:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So I go out to do some shopping and I swing by the ATM. Suddenly I discover that I can 't take out more than $240 bucks. So I call Chase to find out what the fuck their fucking problem is. Apparently, I was fucking identified as an At Risk Customer because I bought shit from fucking Target with my goddamn debit card. So Chase fucking lowered my goddamn ATM limit to $250.

I don't know whether I am pissed at Chase, Target, the fucking piece of shit hackers trying to steal my goddamn money or all three! Alls I know is that I can 't have my fucking money now because some jerkoff with a computer thought he was going to fucking score.

I knew these goddamn debit cards were bad fucking news! I refuse to get one until they flat eliminated the ATM card and forced their bullshit on everyone. Fucking bankers!

View Quote

They did you a favor. Now wait for your new card.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 1:19:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
chase put out a notice on limits a couple days ago.......
View Quote

Yeah, it's not like it's YOUR money anyways, whatya bitchin' about? Just get a credit card and go into debt like every other good slave does.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 2:12:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'd be pissed too if my card was compromised. My brother's was.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
First world problems

I'd be pissed too if my card was compromised. My brother's was.

Read the post. His card was NOT compromised. He is bitching he can only withdraw so much cash.

RIF
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 2:17:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 2:29:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Yeah, it's not like it's YOUR money anyways, whatya bitchin' about? Just get a credit card and go into debt like every other good slave does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Right, because it's absolutely impossible to use a credit card responsibly and only spend what you can afford to pay off

Link Posted: 12/23/2013 2:46:46 AM EDT
[#20]
I do a lot of work in Banks. Chase can make you a new card on the spot at several locations and possibly increase that daily limit while you are there. I know this because that damn card machine is often in my way.

I was also working in a small Credit Union Saturday and overheard that they were / had issued 600+ new cards because of Target.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 4:04:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 4:10:16 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

This is also one of the reasons it's a good idea to keep a fund of emergency cash at home, just in case you can't access your accounts for a while.
View Quote

Power outages & other possibilities could make debit/credit down for a weekend, or a week, or so.

I remember being in stores with back-up lighting, and they announced that only customers with cash were good to go

Link Posted: 12/23/2013 4:18:05 AM EDT
[#23]
how about we blame the hackers that did it instead of the victims?
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 4:21:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Who the fuck uses Debit for purchases? That's what Amex is for,
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 4:21:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My money?    

THEIR money. If they get ripped off then it's THEIR money that gets stolen. I get my money back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would you rather bitch about loosing all your money?
My money?    

Interesting.  Maybe that explains why they don't want to give you that much of THEIR money until YOUR problem is sorted out.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 4:23:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Right, because it's absolutely impossible to use a credit card responsibly and only spend what you can afford to pay off

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looking around at the mess we are in as a country, and your typical American, you'd almost think so.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 4:26:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You are lucky Chase just didn't cancel your card and make you wait for a new one.  
View Quote

Which is exactly what they did to a buddy of mine.  He was Christmas shopping last week, swiped his debit card, clerk said she was instructed to take possession of the card.  Buddy refused, called Chase, Chase tells him the card is dead and must wait 7 to 10 days to receive his new one.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 4:32:52 AM EDT
[#28]
A.)  Who the hell shops with a debit card?

B.) Who the hell shops with a debit card?

C.) They might have saved you from the real perils of shopping with a debit card.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 4:33:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Which is exactly what they did to a buddy of mine.  He was Christmas shopping last week, swiped his debit card, clerk said she was instructed to take possession of the card.  Buddy refused, called Chase, Chase tells him the card is dead and must wait 7 to 10 days to receive his new one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 4:34:17 AM EDT
[#30]
So your bank recognizes a valid risk to one of their depositors and takes action to protect them from a major loss, and this is somehow a bad thing?  In a day and age when most bankers wouldn't cross the street to piss on you if your head was on fire I can't believe this is even an issue.  Didn't they notify you by email or text?  My little podunk regional bank does when they have an issue of any kind with my account.

My bank just killed my debit card on the spot and is issuing a new one.  Yeah, no debit card over a holiday that is sure to cost me lots of money.  Am I bitching?  Nope, because at least I'm not getting ripped off by some creeper who stole millions of account numbers from Target.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 4:48:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Chase is protecting Chase from losing money, since that is ultimately who would pay for fraudulent charges.  They're leaving the cards on in a minimal way so you don't starve to death in the mean time. That's a sign it's going to take a while to print and mail 10 million new debit cards...

Situations like this is why I use credit cards for purchases.  In my quest to harvest credit card rewards, I think I have 10 different active accounts with 5 different banks.  Some of the cards are infrequently used, so if one gets burned, I could always transition to the next.

Stop by the bank and get $1,000 to fill your wallet.  That way you can be your own ATM.  No fees too :)
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 4:50:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

WTF?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?

Yep.  Actually, she was instructed to take both debit cards, but she didn't and told my friend to call Chase.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 4:57:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Did you not get the email from Chase regarding this?

I did, yesterday.

And I am quite pleased.  

I had no idea, they did, and they let me know.

View Quote

This. I am impressed with Chase's proactive approach on this. It is a pain in the ass, but Chase is handling it well. If you want to be angry, focus that at the hackers, Target, or the company who produces their card machines.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 4:58:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Who shops at Target?

View Quote

I do for the random shit that I need bc they is one right up the road form my house.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 4:59:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Damn, this guy Steve is mad as hell.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:04:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Chase is protecting Chase from losing money, since that is ultimately who would pay for fraudulent charges.
View Quote

Might be true. However, in the case of debit cards I do not believe they are obligated to replace the lost money. I'd still say they are handling this as well as can be expected.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:08:03 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Who shops at Target?

View Quote

Was that sarcasm?  They're one of the biggest retailers in the world.

Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:08:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
May be a State by State deal but the wife and I have  ATM only cards at Chase in NV.
The day they change it is the day I get a different bank.
I have heard too many horror stories with debit cards. At a minimum you are having to wait to have your money returned into your account in the Target type scenario. With a CC they have to try to collect it first.
View Quote

No debit card for me  either.  Still have Chase ATM card they made in the branch while I waited

Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:09:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:13:34 AM EDT
[#40]
For their credit cards, it looks like they're doing a wait-and-see approach.  They just advised us to continue using our card as normal and to please check online regularly for unusual activity.  Glad it was our credit card and not our debit card we used.  If there was even a possibility of the debit card being compromised, I'd get a new one immediately.  Credit card, I'm not that worried.  If someone uses it, at least it's not my money that's tied up.

Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:17:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Who shops at Target?

View Quote

No kidding. I shop at target about once every 10 years. The last time I did I bought a child's toy piano for a birthday present for my newish nephew. It took less than a week for them to sell my spending habits to Gerber, who then congratulated me on my "new baby" to try and tried to sell me life insurance for babies.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:47:39 AM EDT
[#42]
The morning it hit the news, wife went to the bank, who cancelled and re-issued her debit card (she'd shopped at Target twice during the problem time frame).
In the meantime, we can:
Use credit cards
Write checks
Pay cash

Easy.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:48:36 AM EDT
[#43]
I don't blame chase for their handling of the situation.....However what pissed me off was receiving the email regarding limiting my transactions at 6 pm on saturday, pure inconsiderate bull shit imho.

Oh Yea and not listing any reference as to which of my accounts the email was regarding.

When I called and talked to someone I was told the 100/300 limit had been rethought and changed to 250/1000

Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:51:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Would the OP feel better if they offered to let him take as much money out as he wanted so long as he would agree to cover any fraudulent charges?
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:52:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Who shops at Target?

View Quote

tons of MILFs and hot college ass there.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:57:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

MILFs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who shops at Target?

MILFs

And this appears to be the result of insufficient cash reserves not a bank policy. Never be so low on cash that you have to plan to withdraw some with an ATM to do your Christmas shopping.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 6:03:36 AM EDT
[#47]
How many threads like this do we have to have, before we stop having threads where people insist that using a debit card offers you the same protections as a credit card?
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 6:06:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Go inside the bank
Go to teller
Ask for amount above $240 dollars
Put in wallet
Shop
Profit
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 6:43:15 AM EDT
[#49]
I use their Chase credit card and shopped at Target during the hack. Was thinking about buying a new Vette with it today.

Debit cards are for suckers...
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 6:46:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
How many threads like this do we have to have, before we stop having threads where people insist that using a debit card offers you the same protections as a credit card?
View Quote

C'mon BA... gotta toe that Dave Ramsey line.

Useful idiots will always be useful idiots.

Meanwhile I earn mad rewards on my completely secure-no-my-money credit card that I don't pay a dime of interest on.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top