BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's funny until they foreclose on your house for $300.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The HOA next to me thinks we should live by their rules.....

Going to be real hard, I don't live in it... I own my own land, I mow my own weeds with a tractor and look at the snow, cause I have Jeeps and don't need to shovel
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 10:40:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I grew up in LR and my mom lived there until this year.  This is pretty funny, but I usually find the problem is the old folks playing in the street, not the kids.

ETA Most people won't give a shit.  And they'll get all sorts of letters threatening to sue them.  If you don't keep your driveway pressure washed, they send a letter threatening litigation within 30 days.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
easy, dont live in a HOA
View Quote

Or, just maybe, don't play in the street?
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You never played street hockey, basket ball, or baseball in a cul-de-sac as a kid? Even on outlet streets, we played.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never encouraged my children to play in the street.  Seems a little dangerous...

You never played street hockey, basket ball, or baseball in a cul-de-sac as a kid? Even on outlet streets, we played.

yep it goes like this,,,CAR,,stop move the hockey goals, wait ,move em back, GAME ON. repeat as needed
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#5]
LOL @ the people who think they own the street. either the HOA does, in which case, it is completely justified in making its own rules OR the city does, in which case, the HOA probably ISNT justified in banning it outright (though they may still attempt to enforce fines).
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#6]
nickel and dime empires, everyone to be the mayor of something even if it is a portapotty
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 11:39:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Their HOA, their rules. Don't like it? Don't live there.
View Quote

Kids play in street. Kids get hit by car. Parents sue HOA for substandard road.

Kids play in street. HOA says "NO!" Kids play in street anyway, get hit by car. Parents sue HOA for substandard road. HOA says, "Hey, we told them NO!"

Life in a litigious society.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#9]
somehow I knew this was FL just based on the headline.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I loves me a good HOA thread.

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 11:52:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Some HOAs wont sell without approving the buyer.

Check your fine print.

No sympathy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Honey pack your shit, we are moving."

"I'm sorry, but the HOA does not permit one to move from this neighborhood."  

Check your fine print.

No sympathy.
Keeps out the trash.

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 11:58:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Username and post do not compute.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People signed a contract when they moved in allowing the HOA to dictate a certain levels of rules and requirements. I'm sure that contract also included a provision requiring acceptance of any future rules passed.

They were freed to not sign that contract OR better yet, purchase elsewhere. They were also free to run for a board position in the HOA themselves. Plenty of options other than just bitching about how unfair it is.

Libertarian doesn't mean you get to do whatever you want to whoever you want in any location you want. Libertarian means people get to make their own choices and enter agreements out of their own free will.

Nice try.

Please explain how anyone's rights were violated here. I'm not aware of any "right to play in the street".... are you?
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 12:00:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He gets that a lot.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Streets are for driving.

Pets and kids in the street tend to get hit by cars more often then kids and pets in the park.

I'm failing to see the problem with the rules.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Such is life. Know what you're getting into before you move in.....

I am on my condo board just to level set stupid ideas. The amount of little hitlers running around everywhere in life would astound you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The fact that you even have to entertain their stupid ideas is ludicrous, IMO.  Imagine if they were to sway a few others to their side, and one of your friends moved out of the hood?  Then it would be hell and you could do nothing about it.

Such is life. Know what you're getting into before you move in.....

I am on my condo board just to level set stupid ideas. The amount of little hitlers running around everywhere in life would astound you.

I am on the HOA board.  All but one of the members are there solely to stop any bullshit in its tracks.  The one oddball is about to have his red wagon fixed...........
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I swore up and down I'd never live in an HOA ...Then earlier this year I lost my house in a Tornado..5 months later wy wife and I can't agree on a new house after months of looking ...we finally found ONE in the country that we both liked..we were both so happy we barely noticed it was in an HOA ..So far so good..hadn't heard a peep from them yet...not even any contact info
View Quote

I guess "in the country" means something different to me, cause this sounds .
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Knowing Lakewood Ranch, since I live in the area, this does not surprise me.

The Ranch is full of retirees and soccer mom's that live well beyond their means.  The housing market crash's epicenter could be pinpointed there. The greatest increases in in the country were in LWR.  That was followed by the largest home devaluation in the country.  You could not pay me enough money to live or work in that neighborhood.

Lots of old people that had nothing better to do than attend an HOA meeting to restrict the actions of minors.

Fortunately, I can't see how that rule will be enforceable.   They won't be able to fine kids or their parents for playing.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Usually I think HOAs make up some pretty goddamn stupid rules, but this one? Eh mixed feelings. If it's a high traffic/high speed road (ie 30 or higher) road, then yea kids should not be out in the road. But if it's just a cul-de-sac, meh, let the kids have their fun.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 12:36:39 PM EDT
[#19]
My kids (and all the other neighborhood kids) play in our cul-de-sac every day.  If cars come down to the end of the street where the kids are playing, they go slow, if they don't go slow we yell at them (or worse - one of my neighbors threw a trash can at a car of teenagers speeding up and down our cul-de-sac.  I don't necessarilly condone that kind of behavior (the speeding or the trashcan throwing) but it does tend to keep our street safe).

Don't like it, don't drive on our fucking street.

Here in Vegas, if you don't want to live in the hood or in the 50 year old parts of town, you will be dealing with an HOA.

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I swore up and down I'd never live in an HOA ...Then earlier this year I lost my house in a Tornado..5 months later wy wife and I can't agree on a new house after months of looking ...we finally found ONE in the country that we both liked..we were both so happy we barely noticed it was in an HOA ..So far so good..hadn't heard a peep from them yet...not even any contact info

I am in the country and then an HOA moved in next to me, I prefered the trees and animals... started with big machines clear cutting, that was not a good sign
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 1:49:08 PM EDT
[#21]
GET OFF MY STREET YOU YOUNG WHIPPERSNAPPERS,...OR I WILL CALL THE HOA AND HAVE YOUR PARENTS HOUSE REPOED!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 1:49:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Check your fine print.

No sympathy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"I'm sorry, but the HOA does not permit one to move from this neighborhood."  

Check your fine print.

No sympathy.

Your love of statism has already been verified in the Snowden thread, so this is no surprise coming form you.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Why on earth would you want your kids to play in the street?

View Quote

Christ...I grew up playing touch football, softball and street hockey in the street in front of my house. There were about 10 of us that lived on both sides of our street in our block. Our parents could keep an eye on us just by looking out the living room window.

The concrete slab joints made great boundaries and goal lines.

There's a big difference between a residential neighborhood street and a 4 lane high-traffic street in a commercial area.

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 1:55:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is even funnier when you lie in wait for the members of the HOA Board to leave their meeting while carry a large SHARP machete and an axe. Because nothing bad ever happened to a bunch of clowns who stole someone's property using bullshit legal proceedings.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
It is even funnier when you lie in wait for the members of the HOA Board to leave their meeting while carry a large SHARP machete and an axe. Because nothing bad ever happened to a bunch of clowns who stole someone's property using bullshit legal proceedings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well damn, that escalated quickly...
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Ban kids.  Do it for the children.

Oh and don't enforce speed limits.  Might catch a board member doing so.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Association officials told the TV station that there's one narrow, windy road through the community and drivers often speed.

Ban kids.  Do it for the children.

Oh and don't enforce speed limits.  Might catch a board member doing so.

One of the rock quarries I haul out of is on a 2 lane road. The Quarry has their own radar unit and if you're caught speeding you're not allowed to haul out there for a month...

People that live around there call the Sheriff's Office all the time complaining about the Trucks.... 4-6 times a year the SO sends a traffic unit out to that road......

Most the tickets they write is to car drivers speeding on the road.....the idiot car driver will even pass trucks on blind corners.......
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Typical Arfcom. Wants the government to ban or restrict HOAs. Then complains about the government having too much power. If you don't like an HOA then don't live in an HOA.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, when you're not even in their HOA area..........
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 2:49:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 2:50:33 PM EDT
[#30]
If they own the roads sure....If not NFW. see you in court.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 2:52:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My kids (and all the other neighborhood kids) play in our cul-de-sac every day.  If cars come down to the end of the street where the kids are playing, they go slow, if they don't go slow we yell at them (or worse - one of my neighbors threw a trash can at a car of teenagers speeding up and down our cul-de-sac.  I don't necessarilly condone that kind of behavior (the speeding or the trashcan throwing) but it does tend to keep our street safe).

Here in Vegas, if you don't want to live in the hood or in the 50 year old parts of town, you will be dealing with an HOA.

View Quote

You own the street?  Wow.  

Throwing an object at a moving vehicle is a crime in NV, sport.

You must have a home with no back yard for the kids,and no parks or playgrounds nearby.

I will drive the speed limit on any street in NV.  Might want to supervise your kids rather than using them for speedbumps.  Did you grow up someplace east of here where the kids all played in the street?  

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I will NEVER live under the tyranny of an HOA.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 2:56:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Letting your kids play in the street = not smart.

Letting your kids play in the street unsupervised = fucking retarded.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 2:58:00 PM EDT
[#35]
It will be funny when we have a storm, for the last three years we have been without power for a week, twice, We roll right  throught it, Generator on, fireplace burning... it is nice being a sort  of redneck
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#36]
All the kids in our neighborhood played in the street when I was young. Fuck HOA's and nancies.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 3:01:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
All the kids in our neighborhood played in the street when I was young. Fuck HOA's and nancies.
View Quote

Hurricaine Allie was pissed Sunday, I asked her why? She looked and the 55+ and said' since they moved in I have no where to ride my bike and I can't climb on the hill and sit anymore, we had 5 years with it as half built houses, not even properly boarded up, because they first company went bankrupt
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 3:03:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

You must have a home with no back yard for the kids,and no parks or playgrounds nearby.

I will drive the speed limit on any street in NV.  Might want to supervise your kids rather than using them for speedbumps.  Did you grow up someplace east of here where the kids all played in the street?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you even read my post?

I didn't throw anything and said I don't condone it.  Nowhere did I say I don't supervise my kids; I guess you assumed it.  While we don't own the street, we take pride in making sure it is a safe one, and for that I call it my street.  I'm born and raised in Las Vegas and grew up playing in the street in front of my house every day.  Baseball, football, basketball, tag, hide and seek, etc...  

I assure you that you won't drive 25 mph in front of my house; there's not room for it and certain of my neighbors might do you bodily harm if you drive 25 mph down my street while kids are out playing, sport.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 3:03:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

GD tends to say that about everything, but they never look at the legal side of it. HOA's try to get away with as much as they can, and they too don't look at the legal side of it. They throw shit at a wall and see what sticks (hey, like a micro version of our own government) My wife, when we were part of an HOA, joined, simply to infiltrate and tell them how fucking stupid they were and point out many legal problems with the crap they were trying to propose. They way you guys talk about HOA's, make it sound like they can murder your children, because it's their rules. You are so far off base you have no idea. Have you ever heard the stories of HOA's telling people to take down their American flags? I have, and they don't realize its illegal. Is this road funded by state and federal funds? Or is it a private road funding 100% by HOA dues? It's the details you folks tend to forget.

Their business their rules is the biggest load of horse shit I ever heard and would never be a good defense in court.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GD tends to say that about everything, but they never look at the legal side of it. HOA's try to get away with as much as they can, and they too don't look at the legal side of it. They throw shit at a wall and see what sticks (hey, like a micro version of our own government) My wife, when we were part of an HOA, joined, simply to infiltrate and tell them how fucking stupid they were and point out many legal problems with the crap they were trying to propose. They way you guys talk about HOA's, make it sound like they can murder your children, because it's their rules. You are so far off base you have no idea. Have you ever heard the stories of HOA's telling people to take down their American flags? I have, and they don't realize its illegal. Is this road funded by state and federal funds? Or is it a private road funding 100% by HOA dues? It's the details you folks tend to forget.

Their business their rules is the biggest load of horse shit I ever heard and would never be a good defense in court.

Agree 10,000%. HOA's are nothing but wealthy ( or pretend wannabe) wealthy Communists. I live next to one, I give them the finger when they drive by. Leave my boat parked outside for a few days at a time, grill in the front yard, etc just to piss them off. Have a neighbor who is just outside it too, he is a minority and they are all uptight white pricks, they sneer at him, a bunch of racists I'm sure. He and I sit out in the yard and drink cold beer sometimes, they look down their nose at us. We just laugh them off and toast to freedom.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 3:12:33 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote

I played in the street in the street in my subdivision when I was a kid. We were taught to watch out for cars and move out of the way when we saw them coming. This method worked fine and we all survived.

But if you'd rather teach your kids about assault and assuming possession of property that isn't theirs then that's cool I guess.

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#42]
All HOA's can go suck a big fat floppy donkey dick. I would NEVER agree to live in a neighborhood that was HOA. I would buy and live in a trailer on a piece of land that was next to a garbage dump before I did that, because it would save me from going to prison for a serious amount of time.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 3:17:58 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I played in the street in the street in my subdivision when I was a kid. We were taught to watch out for cars and move out of the way when we saw them coming. This method worked fine and we all survived.

But if you'd rather teach your kids about assault and assuming possession of property that isn't theirs then that's cool I guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good Lord, I don't believe the street belongs to me, nor do my kids and I've never assaulted anyone.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#44]
streets are for vehicles not kids
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 3:45:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Do what you want, but I cannot imagine subjecting myself to an HOA.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 3:49:14 PM EDT
[#47]
I lived in a HOA for several years.  ~$200 year and they spread some barkdust, planted some flowers and paid for some insurance.  The neighborhood was nice when we bought and was nice when we sold.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#48]
I dunno, my parents banned me from playing in the street.

That's where cars belong.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#49]
One of the many pluses of living in the sticks.

I can paint my body with mustard, step out my backdoor naked and do a magdump all the while screaming 'don't tase me bro' and doing the helecopter...and who will say anything? Only my wife and dogs. Lotsa paid for land, and a paid for house.

Fuck a HOA cause freedom yo. I would rather have neighboors who sell weed and have cars on blocks in their front yard than live in an hoa. Pretty landscaped yards, mcmansions, all looking identical, complete with prying neighboors, stupid as fuck 'feel good' rules, but lacking in the true feeling of 'this is mine, I can do what I want with it', not..."well I need approval from the HOA to paint my house".

Fuck that.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#50]
When I was younger and didn't like some wise @$$ kid, I'd say.........

"Go play in the street."

Course I can't say that anymore.  See the reason below.V

Quoted:
What are the children doing playing in the street?
That's how dogs get run over and kids are supposed to be smarter than dogs.
View Quote

But sadly they aren't.

Partents just lookin' for a lawsuit will sacrifice their kids.  Blame, blame, blame...........it's not my kids fault.

Aloha, Mark
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top