Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/3/2013 10:13:40 AM EDT
My car that I bought brand new last august is having a problem. I call the dealership that I bought it from last night to get it checked out. They are 30 minutes from my work and will shuttle me to and from the dealership. No loaner vehicle. I just called another dealership owned by the same people thats closer to my home and across town from my work. The service writer on the game me attitude about needing help getting to work since this is my only vehicle. WTF . Is this how most dealerships operate? My car only has 13k miles on it and the problem is covered by the warranty.

update- Chrysler corporate wont do anything for me. Fuck em. Looks like im either replacing the clutch myself or finding someone cheaper to do it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 10:16:33 AM EDT
[#1]
The service manager was the biggest asshole in the company at the one where I worked. They offered me a job as a service writer, but it would have meant working with that guy all day. No way.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 10:16:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Dealerships have been known from the beginning of their existence to be a hive of scum and villany rivaled in the entire universe only by Mos Eisley.

Link Posted: 12/3/2013 10:17:45 AM EDT
[#3]
They already got most of your money, so you are relatively unimportant at this point.  If they still wanted your money, they would be more accomodating.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#4]
When's part 2?
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 10:21:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Warrenty work is covered by the manufacturer. No loaner costs covered. Dealerships eat the loaner and courtesy van costs.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 10:40:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Go right to the manufacturer.  My brother did that with his Explorer after the dealer couldn't troubleshoot the problem (which my brother actually found and fixed himself).  Mfgs hate hearing about bad dealers, so they usually come down on them.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 11:18:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Have you ever seen a dealership that looked like they where hurting for money?  Was at a Honda dealership for a complimentary oil change and the place looked like it had cash pouring out of every availible oriface.  Free snacks & beverages and tons of employees just standing around.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Warrenty work is covered by the manufacturer. No loaner costs covered. Dealerships eat the loaner and courtesy van costs.
View Quote

manufacturer pays for loaner on warranty work
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 10:02:27 AM EDT
[#9]
$2200 to replace a clutch on a year old car. Warranty nor the extended warranty are going to cover the repairs. Im waiting to hear back from Chrysler Corporate. I don't have the money to fix this. I honestly I have no fucking clue on what to do.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 10:04:12 AM EDT
[#10]
What kind of car, out of curiosity?
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 10:05:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

$2200 to replace a clutch on a year old car. Warranty nor the extended warranty are going to cover the repairs. Im waiting to hear back from Chrysler Corporate. I don't have the money to fix this. I honestly I have no fucking clue on what to do.
View Quote
It all makes more sense now.

Sorry about your situation OP.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 10:08:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My car that I bought brand new last august is having a problem. I call the dealership that I bought it from last night to get it checked out. They are 30 minutes from my work and will shuttle me to and from the dealership. No loaner vehicle. I just called another dealership owned by the same people thats closer to my home and across town from my work. The service writer on the game me attitude about needing help getting to work since this is my only vehicle. WTF . Is this how most dealerships operate? My car only has 13k miles on it and the problem is covered by the warranty.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I absolutely HATE working with dealerships!

Everytime I go in, I find a vehicle and say "I want the no shit, best price you can give me". They ALWAYS ask how I saw the car, online or driving by. My response is always "driving by". Then they go act like they are doing something and come back with some stupid price. Then I whip out my phone and say WTF, I wanted the best price and you can't even come back with the damn internet pricing on your own website? Usually they make up some BS about how they work on the floor and they have an internet department.

One dealer wouldn't even honor the $250 coupon I printed off their own website after we got done dealing because "they already gave me the lowest price".
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 10:14:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe the OP has a Dodge Dart.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 10:30:29 AM EDT
[#15]
1. Dodge makes junk.

2. Do you even manual tranny, bro? Clutch plates, like brake pads, wear out quickly from misuse or abuse.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't know you could get a Dart with a manual. Cool.

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 10:34:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

1. Dodge makes junk.

2. Do you even manual tranny, bro? Clutch plates, like brake pads, wear out quickly from misuse or abuse.
View Quote

Yep a Fiat and Dodge lovechild  what could go wrong?

Still how the hell do you toast a clutch in a econo box in 13K?
Sorry OP that sux
I'd still hit up corporate and see if they will be any help , might at least get parts free or something

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 10:36:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Took my car into the shop for a tranny issue and asked about a loaner, was told they didn't have one that day but would put me on the list and said I should have a loaner in 2 or 3 days max. Long story short after 3.5 weeks of them having my car down to replace the trans I never got a loaner vehicle after many requests and lies. Walked into the dealer the other day and took a new Charger RT for a test drive with my salesman who sold me my car and after we got back he asked me if I was interested I told him yeah but I would be taking my business elsewhere. I just didn';t want to drive 35 miles to test drive a car if I wouldn't like it. He seemed pretty pissed and asked my why I told him he said to let him talk to the GM I told him no thanks I already talked to the GM and I was told that loaners cars are given to their first priority customers who supposedly are New car buyers.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 10:42:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sorry OP that sux

I'd still hit up corporate and see if they will be any help , might at least get parts free or something

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1. Dodge makes junk.

Sorry OP that sux

This isn't my first manual transmission car either. I talked to corporate a little while ago. Waiting to hear back.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 10:57:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Took my car into the shop for a tranny issue and asked about a loaner, was told they didn't have one that day but would put me on the list and said I should have a loaner in 2 or 3 days max. Long story short after 3.5 weeks of them having my car down to replace the trans I never got a loaner vehicle after many requests and lies. Walked into the dealer the other day and took a new Charger RT for a test drive with my salesman who sold me my car and after we got back he asked me if I was interested I told him yeah but I would be taking my business elsewhere. I just didn';t want to drive 35 miles to test drive a car if I wouldn't like it. He seemed pretty pissed and asked my why I told him he said to let him talk to the GM I told him no thanks I already talked to the GM and I was told that loaners cars are given to their first priority customers who supposedly are New car buyers.
View Quote

Nice.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Dealerships have been known from the beginning of their existence to be a hive of scum and villany rivaled in the entire universe only by Mos Eisley.

View Quote

Villainy, what an expressive and appropriate word.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Buy a Lexus or BMW and you won't have these problems with warranty service and loaner cars. For the last 14 years, everytime I take my BMW in for service (even out of warranty work), I get a free low mileage BMW loaner car.

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Have you ever seen a dealership that looked like they where hurting for money?  Was at a Honda dealership for a complimentary oil change and the place looked like it had cash pouring out of every availible oriface.  Free snacks & beverages and tons of employees just standing around.
View Quote

This. Find a good local mechanic that has a shop with no amenities and a handful of employees who are all productive. You will save yourself a lot of money and not be funding the snack machines, lazy employees, 8 flat screen tv's with DirecTV on each one, free coffee and donuts, etc.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This. Find a good local mechanic that has a shop with no amenities and a handful of employees who are all productive. You will save yourself a lot of money and not be funding the snack machines, lazy employees, 8 flat screen tv's with DirecTV on each one, free coffee and donuts, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OPs car us under warranty....
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Op kIlled the clutch, not covered in warranty. I did the same thing to my Rsx type s. Drove like a idiot for 15000 miles toasted the clutch plate. Drove much better after that bill.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Crazy if it's a Dart. I was thinking Challenger V8 or something that could actually tear up a clutch in a year. I did tons of drag launches and stupid street driving in my 2002 Dakota 5 speed 4.7L and the clutch never so much as slipped, even with slicks on. The one I have now has a Centerforce so it's rock solid and will chirp 4th in cool weather.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 11:13:33 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Buy a Lexus or BMW and you won't have these problems with warranty service and loaner cars. For the last 14 years, everytime I take my BMW in for service (even out of warranty work), I get a free low mileage BMW loaner car.

View Quote
OP bought a Dart. I'm 99.9% certain he's not cross shopping a Lexus or a BMW.

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 11:14:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

how is that possible? Its a yr old it had to be warranty. WOuld tell them to pound sand on a new car.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 11:16:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

how is that possible? Its a yr old it had to be warranty. WOuld tell them to pound sand on a new car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Many car companies view a clutch as a wearable item like brake pads and don't cover it under warranty.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. I have lexus they will give you a loaner for pretty much anything. I have been know to keep them the whole weekend and drive to houston and back .
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 11:19:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Having previously spent ten plus years in the business I still can't believe how few people even have a clue how to haggle with dealers.

Internet deal discounting is based on volume.  It brings in customers from a distance and increases cash flow.  These are made up mostly of customers that never would have set foot in the place otherwise.

Also, dealers are just like people. Some great, some nOt worth the powder it would take to blow them to hell.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Buddy going through a similar situation. Has one of the last mercury milans. Had a slight issue with water. Took it to dealer A. They cut a bunch of wires, left hoses unattached, didnt solve his issue, broke fusebox, broke air box. Took it to another dealer and got it fixed on his dime. Two days later wiring harness fries, Dealer B claims its all on Dealer A due to their shoddy and haphazard work. Ford isn't going to address the issue at all. Told them to take it back to Dealer A and they'd see about reimbursement, but can probably just give them employee pricing on a brand new 2014 model!
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Better yet.. learn how to do everything yourself. My cars haven't been to anyone else in years.

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Having previously spent ten plus years in the business I still can't believe how few people even have a clue how to haggle with dealers.

Internet deal discounting is based on volume.  It brings in customers from a distance and increases cash flow.  These are made up mostly of customers that never would have set foot in the place otherwise.

Also, dealers are just like people. Some great, some nOt worth the powder it would take to blow them to hell.
View Quote

A lot of times it isn't worth screwing with it to me.

I stop by 3 dealers, ask for no bs pricing and a salesman with enough authority to cut a good deal. I just need a price and i'll compare/make my decision within an hour. Usually 2 out of three give me some flunky that just started there, 1 will give me a veteran and within an hour i'm done. That hour includes going to 3 dealerships, and filling our paperwork.

Could I save more money? Probably but I buy 3-8 pickups a year for work and I can't spend weeks and thousands of miles driving around on each deal like a lot of people do.

I usually get my pickups for invoice or 400 over. I figure that's fair. They make probably a few grand on the back end and I get it for 2-4 grand under the windshield price on a 28ish thousand dollar vehicle.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 11:31:04 AM EDT
[#35]
That's ok, because car dealerships hate you too !!
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Everytime I go in, I find a vehicle and say "I want the no shit, best price you can give me". They ALWAYS ask how I saw the car, online or driving by. My response is always "driving by". Then they go act like they are doing something and come back with some stupid price. Then I whip out my phone and say WTF, I wanted the best price and you can't even come back with the damn internet pricing on your own website? Usually they make up some BS about how they work on the floor and they have an internet department.
View Quote

So you begin the negotiation process by lying and purposely starting with the higher price?
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#37]
You chose the dealership farther away for a reason right? Stands to reason you would return to them for any future issues. If you bought from them because of a better price or superior service, why would you go to another dealer?

I regularly have customers shop in Austin or Fort Worth for a "better deal" only to call me to perform their warranty work. Warranty doesn't pay the same rate, the same hours or for the parts like billable work does. So I lose money on every warranty call I perform. I'm happy to do that for customers that spent $5K-$300K for my product initially. For the customer that went elsewhere to spend their money, what motivation do I have to help them? And believe it or not, the product you bought had the price of the warranty built into it and that second dealership never saw a penny of that.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote
I think I found your problem.

Link Posted: 12/5/2013 11:48:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I stop by 3 dealers, ask for no bs pricing and a salesman with enough authority to cut a good deal. I just need a price and i'll compare/make my decision within an hour. Usually 2 out of three give me some flunky that just started there, 1 will give me a veteran and within an hour i'm done. That hour includes going to 3 dealerships, and filling our paperwork.

Could I save more money? Probably but I buy 3-8 pickups a year for work and I can't spend weeks and thousands of miles driving around on each deal like a lot of people do.

I usually get my pickups for invoice or 400 over. I figure that's fair. They make probably a few grand on the back end and I get it for 2-4 grand under the windshield price on a 28ish thousand dollar vehicle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You understand what's happening and where the profit is for the dealer now.  That puts you in the upper 90 percentile easily.  Time is money and if you are happy with the deal, then it was a good deal.

IMO, dealers with good employee retention tend to be better places to do do business.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 11:52:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Porsche dealer will pick my car up, and deliver a Porsche loaner.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's cool, but I don't want a $10 an hour car wash guy driving my car to and from the dealership.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

So you begin the negotiation process by lying and purposely starting with the higher price?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He wants to see how truthful they are and how much they try to fuck him over.  Nothing wrong with that.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 12:09:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Even Toyota came to my work got my car and brought it back before my shift was over…
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Same song earlier verse:  In my 20's I fried the clutch on a pre GTO 63 Pontiac 326HO Tempest.  Got the same run around about a loaner.  Salesman was talking to the service Mgr who was behind me but I saw his reflection in the glass window, shaking his head NO.  Bump up to 67 when I was purchasing a FireBird or big block Camaro.  I made the salesman jump through all of the hoops before I told him that I was buying the Camaro at a different dealership instead because of the way they treated me in the past.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

He wants to see how truthful they are and how much they try to fuck him over.  Nothing wrong with that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He might want to try negotiating down from the lowest advertised price though.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Unfortunately if you look in your warranty book it will show you that the clutch is not covered by the powertrain warranty if they think it was due to abuse on your part. If something randomly came apart they may be a little more forgiving. However, if they have already hit you with a $2200 estimate, I'm pretty sure thay are confident that you had something to do with it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 12:25:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That's cool, but I don't want a $10 an hour car wash guy driving my car to and from the dealership.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If your BMW dealership let's the car wash guy drive your car, they're doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 12:48:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If your BMW dealership let's the car wash guy drive your car, they're doing it wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Bentley dealer will have a loaner brought to me by a playmate look alike, etc, etc...
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#49]
No word yet from corporate as of now. I'm going to call them first thing tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#50]
update in op
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top