BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:00:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pressing on the front of the slide opens the ejection port enough to see if a round is in there.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:00:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Why don't you toss that POS 1911 right into the garbage can next to the AK-47 and go buy a gun with a loaded chamber indicator instead of constantly finger-banging your pistol and arguing about what to name it?
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:05:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
When you arrive to the party really late you can forget about making up any of the rules.

Press check.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:05:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:05:45 AM EDT
[#5]
A proper brass check is one last sweep of the firing line for empties before departing the range. Much more important to reloaders, especially when shooting a gun chambered in uncommon calibers.

A press check is pressing the muzzle area of a 1911 to check for a chambered round as has already been clarified.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:08:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pressing on the front of the slide opens the ejection port enough to see if a round is in there.

I agree with OP that words DO mean things. However, the above has always been the way I understood a "press check."

If you asked me what I thought a brass check was, I'd have guessed you were talking about policing up empties or "brass" as opposed to live cartridges.

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:09:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Jeff Cooper called it a press check
View Quote

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:10:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I've just a always called it a Status Check.  Checking the status of your weapon, loaded or unloaded...
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:11:29 AM EDT
[#9]
So it looks like several Marines have chimed in not knowing what the hell the OP is talking about.

OP do you claim to have served in the Marine Corps?  I don't see a tank...
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:15:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why don't you toss that POS 1911 right into the garbage can next to the AK-47 and go buy a gun with a loaded chamber indicator instead of constantly finger-banging your pistol and arguing about what to name it?
View Quote

Hours of darkness.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:20:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You drove this thread into my Subscribed workspace.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No no no. You chamber a round, then drop the mag to see which side the top round is on.

Then you try to remember which side the top round is when only 29 are loaded.

Learned that from Magpul Dynamics.
You drove this thread into my Subscribed workspace.  

Asymmetrically or dynamically ?
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:22:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:27:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A proper brass check is one last sweep of the firing line for empties before departing the range. Much more important to reloaders, especially when shooting a gun chambered in uncommon calibers.

A press check is pressing the muzzle area of a 1911 to check for a chambered round as has already been clarified.
View Quote

This. And...

Brass Check: (burr-ass ch-ek) (v): (1) See Above.  (2) An act performed by those engaged in the act of reloading fired brass casings where the reloader looks over a piece of brass to determine it's suitability for another loading.  Often performed in front of the TV with large batches of brass, or during the reloading process prior to placing the piece of brass on the press to be resized.

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:29:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I thought it originated when people "pressed" on the barrel bushing on 1911's without the full length guide rod.  This allowed the slide to go out of battery enough for the barrel to unlock from the slide and the shooter to see there was a round in the chamber.  

The marines teach "brass check" as a part of the ditty for loading and making ready.  

Either way, I don't care.  They mean the same thing and I know what they both are.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:30:39 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I seem to remember hearing the term "brass check" on Marine Corps rifle ranges. However, most everything on those ranges is dumbed down to the point that there can't be any confusion about what they want you to do unless you are a complete retard. They say "brass check" because they literally want you to look and see if there's brass present at that point and they want there to be no confusion whatsoever about it. If they said "press check" every dumbass that wasn't paying close enough attention would try to argue that he should get an alibi because the instructions were unclear. This is a common theme in the military.

Also, the lack of a tank doesn't mean that someone hasn't served. People choose not to get them for all sorts of reasons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So it looks like several Marines have chimed in not knowing what the hell the OP is talking about.

OP do you claim to have served in the Marine Corps?  I don't see a tank...

I seem to remember hearing the term "brass check" on Marine Corps rifle ranges. However, most everything on those ranges is dumbed down to the point that there can't be any confusion about what they want you to do unless you are a complete retard. They say "brass check" because they literally want you to look and see if there's brass present at that point and they want there to be no confusion whatsoever about it. If they said "press check" every dumbass that wasn't paying close enough attention would try to argue that he should get an alibi because the instructions were unclear. This is a common theme in the military.

Also, the lack of a tank doesn't mean that someone hasn't served. People choose not to get them for all sorts of reasons.
I know.  It's just that it'd be interesting to see the excuses he'd hide behind for not submitting a dd-214 after all his blowhard "i know better" bullshit.

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:34:22 AM EDT
[#16]
You know... I HAVE heard the term BRASS CHECK once in my lifetime!

It came from one of the shooters on the firing line at my range.  He turned on the CEASE FIRE alarm system, yelled "BRASS CHECK" at the top of his lungs and started collecting the brass off the ground.   I told him that I was a reloader and expected him to keep his mitts off my brass.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:36:52 AM EDT
[#17]
From 1911s, big deal. OP is making a tempest in a teapot.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:38:12 AM EDT
[#18]
It's been called press check for as long as I can remember.  The first pistol training class I took was back in ~1993.  That was what it was called then.  How old are you, OP?
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:38:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have always heard press check for pistols and chamber check for rifles/shotguns. Never heard brass check.
View Quote

This.

And only ARFCOM could get 3 pages out of this!
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:40:20 AM EDT
[#20]
always called it a press check on a pistol and a brass check on a rifle. I'm really fucked lmao.
J-
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:40:27 AM EDT
[#21]
You can always just do an "Italian Army Press Check".  We (the PMC security force) coined the term working on Eagle Base in Bosnia back in '04.

Point weapon at clearing barrel, press trigger.  If "click", go on about your day.  If "BANG", everybody laughs and punches you in the arm and you have to clean the wine glasses that day I guess.  Nobody every seemed to care much about the shots fired, which were pretty much at least a weekly occurrence when the Italian Army was visiting.  They were just conscript kids mostly, with a few NCO-types mixed in that always seemed to be in a very good mood and usually smelled a little like Chianti.  

Point of fact... these "kids" are not to be confused with the Italian Carabinieri deployed to the Balkans... who were invariably large, tough Luca Brasi types that even the Serbs were scared of.  I'd estimate that of the top 10 beatings I've ever seen, at least 6 were handed out by the Carbinieri in Bosnia.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:42:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:49:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nickel Plate Check, duh.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What about nickel plated cases?

Nickel Plate Check, duh.

What about aluminum-hulled Blazer ammo?  Or caseless ammo?
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:50:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I always do a press check to make sure my bannana clip went all the way in.
View Quote

..that's "babnaba clip" ....
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 6:55:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yep, since the first day Jeff Cooper put pen to paper he called it a press check.  His use of the term comes from the way he checked a 1911.  Index finger on the recoil spring plug, thumb hooked into the trigger guard press thumb and finger together.

It's ok.  I'm sure you can find something else to get wrapped around the axle about.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 7:13:10 AM EDT
[#26]
It was a press check 30 years ago.

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 7:14:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

/thread
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 7:19:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
"Press check" is an industrial process term. Its the final check before a process begins.

Its been used for 100+ years.

WTF is a brass check?

View Quote

No way.  It's been 87 years exactally.

Edit to ask how do you do a brass check in the dark?
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 7:55:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 8:00:13 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

"Press check" is an industrial process term. Its the final check before a process begins.

WTF is a brass check?

With your finger.

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 8:02:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
With your finger.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF is a brass check?

With your finger.  
Oh a press check. Gotcha.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 8:23:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Sorry, but you are simply wrong. And you do not "look", you "feel".

It is a Systems Check.

More here:  Performing a Systems Check

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's called a "brass check", not a "press check". The name comes from looking into the breech to see brass to double-check that a round got chambered. I started hearing people call it "press check" and at first, I thought I was just hearing them wrong. Now I see people actually writing "press check" all over the place. The best I can figure out is that someone somewhere heard a shooter say "brass check" and thought they heard "press check". Well, tell me then, what in the hell do I "press" on an AR to do a brass check?

Yes, I realize the horse is out of the barn. It's now "press check" forever. But just know that whenever you use that term, people who know better will think less of you.

Sorry, but you are simply wrong. And you do not "look", you "feel".

It is a Systems Check.

More here:  Performing a Systems Check

i was taught look and feel "visual and digital" and I cannot get my fat finger that far dow the hole!

LOL. I believe everyone is wrong.  It is "Pres. check" meaning check for presence of round!!!  Cris Crider taught me that in CAT-C from the asymetric warfare school.  Awesome guy still have my notes from that.  I love this large font, so easy to read!  LOL.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 8:24:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

/Thread
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 8:30:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

/Thread
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/Thread

That's how I learned it at Gunsite back when my hair was black instead of gray....
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 8:47:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Have heard both...can perform both...simultaneously

Don't think it matters this much IMO

and FWIW my last training class was with a retired Marine who worked on a FAST team. ..he called it a press check.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 9:12:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I don't really give a fuck. But I sort of do, because words mean things. The name "brass check" relays information about what in the hell we're actually doing. And just like the name "press check" has been passed around the cargo-culted, so has the actual check and the reason for it. Now, mainly, people do it because they see other people do it but many of them have no idea why they're supposed to do it. "Oh, I just press the slide back to make sure it's not binding and make sure the slide will cycle" or some other dumbass reason. In a world of acronyms and marketing bullshit, good, descriptive, self-explanatory names are hard to come by. So I hate to see one just tossed aside for no good reason. But other than that, I guess I really don't give a fuck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
...snip...

I don't really give a fuck. But I sort of do, because words mean things. The name "brass check" relays information about what in the hell we're actually doing. And just like the name "press check" has been passed around the cargo-culted, so has the actual check and the reason for it. Now, mainly, people do it because they see other people do it but many of them have no idea why they're supposed to do it. "Oh, I just press the slide back to make sure it's not binding and make sure the slide will cycle" or some other dumbass reason. In a world of acronyms and marketing bullshit, good, descriptive, self-explanatory names are hard to come by. So I hate to see one just tossed aside for no good reason. But other than that, I guess I really don't give a fuck.

Quoted:
...snip...

Marines have been doing "brass checks" at least since the Vietnam war because I remember reading it in a memoir in high school. And Marines were still calling it "brass check" when I went through MCRD and in the fleet in the 90s. I have no idea when this "press check" took hold, maybe it was Cooper in the 80s. Don't know, don't really care. Call it what you want. But know that it makes you sound dumb to people who know better.

Hmm...lemme go back into the depths of my hazy memory.  I do recall "brass check" irt MCRD rifle range.  I also recall "press check" irt 1st & 3rd SOTG MEU(SOC) workups and HRP.  I also understand what is being asked for/conveyed by both.  Seems silly to make such a bold statement that "...it makes you sound dumb to people who know better." when some folks aren't really all tied up with terminology for performing a specific action, and some of the folks who use "press check" are highly regarded by a lot of folks.  Just my $.02 and YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

...and some of the folks who use "press check" are highly regarded by a lot of folks.  Just my $.02 and YMMV.
View Quote

Just not by the OP, the apparent self-appointed arfcom authority on the subject.

People who know better, might think less of OP. Wonder how many fucks OP gives? I'm sure there is a lesson in here somewhere...
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I have never heard anyone ever call it a brass check.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 10:21:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Looks like OP is gone for good.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 10:31:43 AM EDT
[#40]
I think the OP was actually referring to an alloy Czechoslovakian.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#41]
The phrase "brass check" is used by Marines sometimes; same as a chamber check.  It is part of the ditty used to make ready. "Slingshot, brass check, tap forward assist, sweep sights,  check sights, close ejection port cover.  POG USMC vet, no tank, don't care enough to add one.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 10:41:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bingo!
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 10:45:43 AM EDT
[#43]
If someone told me to do a brass check, I'd probably start looking for cases on the ground.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Lol this thread is going great for the op

Personally I don't think press check, or brass check or even bullet check is technically correct or accurate.

What if your shooting steel cased ammo? rat shot or blanks? Then those terms would be technically incorrect....

A much better term would be: The visual and or/ tactile cartridge inspection.   Technically correct in almost all cases

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I think it came from doing it on 1911's (you move the slide back by pressing at the front of it). It's now universal, like Kleenex.

View Quote

I've never heard someone call it a "brass check".

I'm amazed it took until page two.... And of all people, Subnet... to point this out.

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 11:25:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
But I sort of do, because words mean things.
View Quote

Then you should express what is really happening.
The process involves checking the chamber for the presence of a cartridge.
Thus the action can only be accurately described as a chamber check or a cartridge check.
This nomenclature also avoids  the critical problem of potential confusion resulting from cartridges with aluminum or steel cases.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 11:25:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, on a handgun and its been called this for years. It's funny how all these dudes that just started shooting are all of a sudden instructors.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It's called a "brass check", not a "press check". The name comes from looking into the breech to see brass to double-check that a round got chambered. I started hearing people call it "press check" and at first, I thought I was just hearing them wrong. Now I see people actually writing "press check" all over the place. The best I can figure out is that someone somewhere heard a shooter say "brass check" and thought they heard "press check". Well, tell me then, what in the hell do I "press" on an AR to do a brass check?

Yes, I realize the horse is out of the barn. It's now "press check" forever. But just know that whenever you use that term, people who know better will think less of you.
View Quote

You should delete this before everyone knows how much you don't know.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

How do you do it in a muzzle loader?  
View Quote

This.

I was told it came from back in the day when they needed to check if a rifle was loaded they'd press their ramrod down the barrel.

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 11:33:44 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote

Finally, halfway down the page someone gets it right! OP, do you even 80's?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top