BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't try it. The AR pistol needs the buffer tube to function. I don't have a good argument either way that is just the way I see it.
View Quote

Uhhh what?

There is a buffer tube. That's what the weird bionic arm thing attaches to.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#2]
legal or not, why would you want to? fugly
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Uhhh what?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't try it. The AR pistol needs the buffer tube to function. I don't have a good argument either way that is just the way I see it.

Uhhh what?

Yes I am aware. It is on the AR for function. If it was on a glock it's just an appendage.

Link Posted: 11/21/2013 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Same concept as the pistol grip Mossberg 500's with a 14" barrel and OAL of 26?
View Quote

yes
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#5]
How come 13'ers have the best ideas
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 7:17:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Shouldering it would be no different than cramming a buffer tube in your shoulder or trying to shoulder one of those "mare's leg" lever actions. It's not how it was designed to be used, but there is nothing illegal about misusing it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

With that stabilizing brace on an AR pistol, can I shoot it like a normal AR?

I've seen guys at the range rent them, and then instruct people to shoulder the "stabilizer"
Yep sooner or later and probably sooner someone is going to regret shouldering the braced AR pistol

Shouldering it would be no different than cramming a buffer tube in your shoulder or trying to shoulder one of those "mare's leg" lever actions. It's not how it was designed to be used, but there is nothing illegal about misusing it.
OK sure, you an expert 13er?

Link Posted: 11/21/2013 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
With that stabilizing brace on an AR pistol, can I shoot it like a normal AR?

I've seen guys at the range rent them, and then instruct people to shoulder the "stabilizer"
Yep sooner or later and probably sooner someone is going to regret shouldering the braced AR pistol

I'm not sure sure what an "expert 13er" is (typo?), but that is what the ATF has said. Putting the arm brace on a pistol does not alter its legal status, i.e. it is still a pistol and is not subject to NFA registration. It doesn't matter how it's used, because in the end, it's still just a pistol. Legally, pistols are defined as being made to be shot with one hand. Does that mean that you are using your Glock/M&P/XD etc. illegally when you hold it with both hands? Of course not. We have been conditioned to see the "brace" and automatically think it's a stock, but despite the striking resemblance, it still is just a chunk of rubber that carries no legal weight in the eyes of the ATF. There are several letters floating around online directly from the ATF clarifying this.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 8:20:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm not sure sure what an "expert 13er" is (typo?), but that is what the ATF has said. Putting the arm brace on a pistol does not alter its legal status, i.e. it is still a pistol and is not subject to NFA registration. It doesn't matter how it's used, because in the end, it's still just a pistol. Legally, pistols are defined as being made to be shot with one hand. Does that mean that you are using your Glock/M&P/XD etc. illegally when you hold it with both hands? Of course not. We have been conditioned to see the "brace" and automatically think it's a stock, but despite the striking resemblance, it still is just a chunk of rubber that carries no legal weight in the eyes of the ATF. There are several letters floating around online directly from the ATF clarifying this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The ATF letter says it is legal if it's used as intended as a wrist brace, go read the letter.

Link Posted: 11/21/2013 8:30:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Pistol rifles are pretty dumb, IMO.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 8:44:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Sooooooooooooooooooooo you want to shoot a 4 pound pistol one handed? And figure strapping it to your arm is the solution?

How about if you just grab it by that thingie around the barrel and see if that helps?

Ed
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 5:25:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Pistol rifles are pretty dumb, IMO.
View Quote

Prifles!
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 5:57:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I doubt as configued it would be legal because the attachment for the buffer tube would make it impossible or impractical for the brace to fit on one's arm while holding the pistol with one hand.
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 8:33:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
As long as the "Firearm" in question has an over all length of more than 26"  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do it! A vfg would be cool also.

Not on a pistol.
Not exactly 100% accurate

There is a federal court that said putting a front grip on a pistol does not make it an AOW

Who wants to go round with a different court and try and escape a conviction on an illegal AOW?

Not me  

Wait, since when? I have always been told that pistol + VFG = AOW.

As long as the "Firearm" in question has an over all length of more than 26"  

So a firearm over 26" in length can have a VFG and not be an AOW since it's not concealable, like this one:

http://www.franklinarmory.com/PRODUCTS_XO-26.html

Then you could still mount the arm brace thing to it and be legal.

How long until someone puts the arm brace on a rifle length tube instead of a carbine length and has the brace all the way at the end? You know, for strapping it to their... elbow?

~eta~ I think jrzy was talking about the 9th circuit court, which said adding a VFG to a pistol doesn't make it an AOW. Or something like that.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top