Author
Posted: 10/30/2013 3:14:39 PM
[Last Edit: 10/30/2013 4:54:32 PM by beardog30]

THE IMAGE ABOVE IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT
Any thoughts on these rifles? Does anyone make an after market set of iron sights for these rifles?

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain
beardog30
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/30/2013 4:54:42 PM
Anyone...
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain
TrojanMan
Bucky McGillicuddy and Kicks McGee
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/30/2013 5:11:07 PM
Those sights are for backup. They're fine for that purpose. You're supposed to use an optic on that rifle.

The gas block has a single-slot "rail" on top, so most rail-mounted BUIS (e.g. Troy) works. You don't need to, the stock stuff is fine for the intended purpose, but you can.

The 7.62x39 chambering is the biggest problem with that rifle. Ammo is not so cheap anymore that it's a good idea, commercially available loads are far more limited compared to other options, and it's ballistically limited, especially at range.

I'd much rather have a 5.56 rifle, but as far as 7.62x39 rifles go, the Sig does most everything right.
wav3form
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/30/2013 5:12:43 PM
How do you like the 556R? I'm trying to find one due to the fact that I have a bunch of AK mags and 7.62 ammo just sitting around.
wienerman1961
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/30/2013 5:33:51 PM
[Last Edit: 10/30/2013 5:35:27 PM by wienerman1961]
Sig makes Irons but the rear is actually calibrated for 5.56 X 45 at the various ranges(elevations) that it is marked for.
ken_mays
The Power of Browning Compels You
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/30/2013 5:40:26 PM
Mine has performed well. I don't bother with aftermarket backup iron sights since I'm never going to use it for anything remotely serious, and probably won't even shoot 3-gun with it. I did find a couple of old beat-up AK mags I have just won't work with it. I believe it was failing to strip a round occasionally. Most of my other AK mags work fine, as does the plastic one it came with.

I can shoot it much more accurately than any AK I ever owned. Some of this is no doubt due to being able to use an optic on it as opposed to the shitty short sight radius of the typical AK leaf sights, and I have never bothered with the goatfuck of trying to mount an optic on my AKs.
http://www.guntechtips.com
beardog30
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/30/2013 5:43:49 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By wienerman1961:
Sig makes Irons but the rear is actually calibrated for 5.56 X 45 at the various ranges(elevations) that it is marked for.

Are the front sights hooded?
Mark Twain
wav3form
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/30/2013 5:43:57 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By ken_mays:
Mine has performed well. I don't bother with aftermarket backup iron sights since I'm never going to use it for anything remotely serious, and probably won't even shoot 3-gun with it. I did find a couple of old beat-up AK mags I have just won't work with it. I believe it was failing to strip a round occasionally. Most of my other AK mags work fine, as does the plastic one it came with.

I can shoot it much more accurately than any AK I ever owned. Some of this is no doubt due to being able to use an optic on it as opposed to the shitty short sight radius of the typical AK leaf sights, and I have never bothered with the goatfuck of trying to mount an optic on my AKs.

Yeah I just want it for a range toy or something to keep under my bed. What's the average price on these things? I've been seeing them for 1000 mostly.
ken_mays
The Power of Browning Compels You
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/30/2013 5:46:12 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By wav3form:
Originally Posted By ken_mays:

Yeah I just want it for a range toy or something to keep under my bed. What's the average price on these things? I've been seeing them for 1000 mostly.

That's just a little more than I paid. I think they are trying to ask 1200 and up for them now.

http://www.guntechtips.com
wienerman1961
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/30/2013 5:46:34 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By beardog30:
Originally Posted By wienerman1961:

Are the front sights hooded?
Lemme lookie real quick.
wienerman1961
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/30/2013 5:50:28 PM
I guess the answer is yes. It has a post inside a circular band. That's about the best way I can describe it.