Offline Positive Feedback
Bronze
  • Joined May 2012
  • Posts 7341
  • Location USA USA
Posted: 10/30/2013 10:14:39 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/30/2013 11:54:32 AM EST by beardog30]
Any thoughts on these rifles? Does anyone make an after market set of iron sights for these rifles?

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain
Bronze
  • Joined May 2012
  • Posts 7343
  • Location USA USA
Bronze
  • Joined May 2012
  • Posts 7343
  • Location USA USA
Posted: 10/30/2013 11:54:42 AM EST
Anyone...
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain
Bucky McGillicuddy and Kicks McGee
Bronze
  • Joined May 2007
  • Posts 21841
  • Location USA MD, USA
Bronze
  • Joined May 2007
  • Posts 21841
  • Location USA MD, USA
Military
Posted: 10/30/2013 12:11:07 PM EST
Those sights are for backup. They're fine for that purpose. You're supposed to use an optic on that rifle.

The gas block has a single-slot "rail" on top, so most rail-mounted BUIS (e.g. Troy) works. You don't need to, the stock stuff is fine for the intended purpose, but you can.

The 7.62x39 chambering is the biggest problem with that rifle. Ammo is not so cheap anymore that it's a good idea, commercially available loads are far more limited compared to other options, and it's ballistically limited, especially at range.

I'd much rather have a 5.56 rifle, but as far as 7.62x39 rifles go, the Sig does most everything right.
Bronze
  • Joined Apr 2009
  • Posts 3274
  • Location USA VA, USA
Bronze
  • Joined Apr 2009
  • Posts 3274
  • Location USA VA, USA
Posted: 10/30/2013 12:12:43 PM EST
How do you like the 556R? I'm trying to find one due to the fact that I have a bunch of AK mags and 7.62 ammo just sitting around.
Basic
  • Joined Nov 2012
  • Posts 410
  • Location USA OH, USA
Offline Neutral Feedback
Basic
  • Joined Nov 2012
  • Posts 410
  • Location USA OH, USA
Offline Neutral Feedback
Posted: 10/30/2013 12:33:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/30/2013 12:35:27 PM EST by wienerman1961]
Sig makes Irons but the rear is actually calibrated for 5.56 X 45 at the various ranges(elevations) that it is marked for.
The Power of Browning Compels You
Bronze
  • Joined May 2001
  • Posts 25162
  • Location USA USA
Online Positive Feedback
Bronze
  • Joined May 2001
  • Posts 25162
  • Location USA USA
Online Positive Feedback
Posted: 10/30/2013 12:40:26 PM EST
Mine has performed well. I don't bother with aftermarket backup iron sights since I'm never going to use it for anything remotely serious, and probably won't even shoot 3-gun with it. I did find a couple of old beat-up AK mags I have just won't work with it. I believe it was failing to strip a round occasionally. Most of my other AK mags work fine, as does the plastic one it came with.

I can shoot it much more accurately than any AK I ever owned. Some of this is no doubt due to being able to use an optic on it as opposed to the shitty short sight radius of the typical AK leaf sights, and I have never bothered with the goatfuck of trying to mount an optic on my AKs.
http://www.guntechtips.com
Bronze
  • Joined May 2012
  • Posts 7345
  • Location USA USA
Bronze
  • Joined May 2012
  • Posts 7345
  • Location USA USA
Posted: 10/30/2013 12:43:49 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wienerman1961:
Sig makes Irons but the rear is actually calibrated for 5.56 X 45 at the various ranges(elevations) that it is marked for.
View Quote

Are the front sights hooded?
Mark Twain
Bronze
  • Joined Apr 2009
  • Posts 3275
  • Location USA VA, USA
Bronze
  • Joined Apr 2009
  • Posts 3275
  • Location USA VA, USA
Posted: 10/30/2013 12:43:57 PM EST
Originally Posted By ken_mays:
Mine has performed well. I don't bother with aftermarket backup iron sights since I'm never going to use it for anything remotely serious, and probably won't even shoot 3-gun with it. I did find a couple of old beat-up AK mags I have just won't work with it. I believe it was failing to strip a round occasionally. Most of my other AK mags work fine, as does the plastic one it came with.

I can shoot it much more accurately than any AK I ever owned. Some of this is no doubt due to being able to use an optic on it as opposed to the shitty short sight radius of the typical AK leaf sights, and I have never bothered with the goatfuck of trying to mount an optic on my AKs.
View Quote

Yeah I just want it for a range toy or something to keep under my bed. What's the average price on these things? I've been seeing them for 1000 mostly.
The Power of Browning Compels You
Bronze
  • Joined May 2001
  • Posts 25163
  • Location USA USA
Online Positive Feedback
Bronze
  • Joined May 2001
  • Posts 25163
  • Location USA USA
Online Positive Feedback
Posted: 10/30/2013 12:46:12 PM EST
Originally Posted By wav3form:

Yeah I just want it for a range toy or something to keep under my bed. What's the average price on these things? I've been seeing them for 1000 mostly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wav3form:
Originally Posted By ken_mays:

That's just a little more than I paid. I think they are trying to ask 1200 and up for them now.

http://www.guntechtips.com
Basic
  • Joined Nov 2012
  • Posts 411
  • Location USA OH, USA
Offline Neutral Feedback
Basic
  • Joined Nov 2012
  • Posts 411
  • Location USA OH, USA
Offline Neutral Feedback
Posted: 10/30/2013 12:46:34 PM EST
Originally Posted By beardog30:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By beardog30:
Originally Posted By wienerman1961:

Lemme lookie real quick.
Basic
  • Joined Nov 2012
  • Posts 412
  • Location USA OH, USA
Offline Neutral Feedback
Basic
  • Joined Nov 2012
  • Posts 412
  • Location USA OH, USA
Offline Neutral Feedback
Posted: 10/30/2013 12:50:28 PM EST
I guess the answer is yes. It has a post inside a circular band. That's about the best way I can describe it.