[#1]
Yes
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Tell me more about snakes with poison.

Cyanide?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on the snake. And person. Their size, general health, etc.

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Not all poisons are lethal.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Venomous not Poison and yes.

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:35:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Say a rattlesnake bite. No medical help around for days.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:36:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.  Not recommended, though.  Not getting treatment can cause some other health issues down the road.

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:38:04 PM EDT
[#9]
yes,  depends on the type and amount of venom

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:38:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Op, just go to the ER while you can.

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

The wife is there fixing broken people.  She may not want to see me snake bitten
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#12]
The word you were looking for was venomous and yes many snake bites will not result in death for healthy adults.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:40:08 PM EDT
[#13]
The word on the street is that baby rattlers generally always inject venom, whereas adult rattlers may just bite without injecting to conserve venom if they feel they don't need to.

...Depends on if they're feeling happy or sad at that moment
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Venomous not Poison and yes.

View Quote
This; lots of people survive venomous snake bites.  In fact, I'm having a hard time understanding how anyone could think that they're uniformly fatal.

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:41:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The wife is there fixing broken people.  She may not want to see me snake bitten
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus, did you actually get bit bro?
You can suck the poison out yourself for starters
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The word you were looking for was venomous and yes many snake bites will not result in death for healthy adults.
View Quote

You are correct.  My mistake.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:42:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Jesus, did us actually get bit bro?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  Just watching True Grit and wondering if you can survive without treatment.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:43:39 PM EDT
[#18]
EDIT - new posts while I was posting.  Disregard

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No.  Just watching True Grit and wondering if you can survive without treatment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know.
Good movie btw
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:45:29 PM EDT
[#20]
You biting a lot of snakes?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:46:06 PM EDT
[#21]
We have a lot of rattlers. Of the few bites I've seen, no one would have lived. One was a healthy large adult male and only got one fang in the calf. Only thing I've seen live with no treatment, was my dog.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:47:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We have a lot of rattlers. Of the few bites I've seen, no one would have lived. One was a healthy large adult male and only got one fang in the calf. Only thing I've seen live with no treatment, was my dog.
View Quote

No shit!
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:52:51 PM EDT
[#23]
You can survive a bite from a rattler without medical treatment, but it will suck ass.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#24]
So, the Lone Ranger and Tonto are in camp for the night and the Lone Ranger steps into the bushes to drain the lizard, a moment later he comes flying out screaming like a little girl. Tonto rushes over as the Lone Ranger falls to the ground. Tonto leans down "what wrong kemosabe?" Tonto, I've been bitten by a rattle snake right on my pecker. I need you to run into town and find out from the doctor what to do. So Tonto jumps on his faithful horse Scout and races into town where the doctor tells him how to treat snake bite, then races back to his masked friend. He reaches the masked man just in time as it's clear he is weakening quickly. Tonto, did you find the doctor? What did he say? Tonto looks down at the masked mans injury and then back to his face, In a grave sorrowful voice, Tonto says " doctor say, you gonna die kemosabe"

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:05:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Many bites will not transfer a lethal dose of poison. You still don't want to try it. The poison does severe damage to the area it affects.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Many bites will not transfer a lethal dose of poison. You still don't want to try it. The poison does severe damage to the area it affects.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For some snakes dreadful and permanent damage.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:20:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm a Hematologist and have worked on hundreds of snake bites. it all boils down to the bite itself and the snake and the persons general physical condition. some are extremely weak bites, but a lot are extremely severe and patient trauma from necrosis and hematological issues as well a bacterial infections are nasty. I did have some bitchin pics somewhere. I might post them, but they are gory and show too much leg for the mods to allow.

- was the bite an actual venomization?
- if so, what was the degree of venomization?

- does the patient have any underlying medical conditions? ( Diabetes..etc?)
- where is the bite site?

- what kind of snake was it?

a majority of bites we see in Oklahoma are older people, usually working in the flower bed or garden. this segment of the population is sky high for numerous health issues that will effect the bite.

I received a mild venomization ( mostly a dry bite) from a Copperhead on my hand from a drunken beach episode in college. it was a very weak bite ( but fully fanged into my hand) and was in excellent physical condition and all I got was a T-shirt and a round of antibiotics which chances are I could have lived without. this is certainly not the case of someone who goes mano y serpent with a Eastern Diamondback or a Black Mamba.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:25:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  Fierce snake bite your dead period.  King Cobra, Russells Viper, Black Mamba you are dead without treatment.  Water moccasin, copperhead you will likely live but your limb may rot off.  Get treatment!
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:25:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Without medical treatment?
View Quote

yes. even the most lethal snake only has about a  80% kill rate.  while thats high, none are 100% fatal 100% of the time.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:26:23 PM EDT
[#30]
You can easily survive a copperhead bite.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:51:22 PM EDT
[#31]
isn't the copperhead the least venomous/ least aggressive of north American pit vipers?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yes
View Quote

Absolutely possible.. depends on several factors though.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Depends on the snake, I spent a week in the hospital when I was a kid. I was bit by a rattler.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:12:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm a Hematologist and have worked on hundreds of snake bites. it all boils down to the bite itself and the snake and the persons general physical condition. some are extremely weak bites, but a lot are extremely severe and patient trauma from necrosis and hematological issues as well a bacterial infections are nasty. I did have some bitchin pics somewhere. I might post them, but they are gory and show too much leg for the mods to allow.

- was the bite an actual venomization?
- if so, what was the degree of venomization?

- does the patient have any underlying medical conditions? ( Diabetes..etc?)
- where is the bite site?

- what kind of snake was it?

a majority of bites we see in Oklahoma are older people, usually working in the flower bed or garden. this segment of the population is sky high for numerous health issues that will effect the bite.

I received a mild venomization ( mostly a dry bite) from a Copperhead on my hand from a drunken beach episode in college. it was a very weak bite ( but fully fanged into my hand) and was in excellent physical condition and all I got was a T-shirt and a round of antibiotics which chances are I could have lived without. this is certainly not the case of someone who goes mano y serpent with a Eastern Diamondback or a Black Mamba.
View Quote

How bad did the initial bite hurt?  Did the pain increase past that?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  Don't try to suck venom out of your body...

Also, tomatoes aren't poisonous.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:33:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You can easily survive a copperhead bite.
View Quote

Easily?? It was the most painful thing I have ever experienced!! Easily my ass!
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 11:09:05 PM EDT
[#37]
SNAKE BITTEN
By: Rich Johnson

Venomous snakebite is sometimes erroneously viewed as not all that serious, because most victims survive. What is only rarely reported is the physical devastation that some survivors endure after envenomation.
Rattlesnake venom is a hemotoxin that is carried by the circulatory system and can cause severe damage to tissue. Even if you survive, the aftermath might be horrible. After this young man was bitten on the palm of his hand, his entire arm became swollen to the point doctors decided to perform a fasciotomy from the palm of his hand to his bicep to relieve pressure.

Over the next 35 days, eight surgeries were performed. With the injury open, doctors could clean out dead tissue.

After twenty months and thirteen surgeries, the snakebite victim has recovered mobility and about 80% of the strength in his affected arm and hand.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/hunting/2009/10/snakes-grass
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 11:16:55 PM EDT
[#38]
You could luck out and get a dry bite, which is how most survive,  which is bite with no venom.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 11:24:56 PM EDT
[#39]
" The United States has about 20 species of venomous snakes which include 16 species of rattlesnakes, 2 species of coral snakes, one species of cottonmouth (or water moccasin), and one species of copperhead. At least one type of venomous snake is found in every state except Alaska and Hawaii. It has been estimated that 7,000–8,000 people per year receive venomous bites in the United States, and about 5 of those people die."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_snake_bites_in_the_United_States
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 11:46:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

1. Rattlesnake venom is not automatically lethal, as is, say, the venom from a cobra.

2. Rattlesnakes can actually "meter" the amount of venom they deliver. Venom delivery is a hunting thing; given enough time that the snake is not panicking, it'll probably not bother to inject you. This is how so many phony "snake preachers" get away with getting bitten.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 11:54:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 11:55:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:07:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
SNAKE BITTEN

Venomous snakebite is sometimes erroneously viewed as not all that serious, because most victims survive. What is only rarely reported is the physical devastation that some survivors endure after envenomation.
Rattlesnake venom is a hemotoxin that is carried by the circulatory system and can cause severe damage to tissue. Even if you survive, the aftermath might be horrible. After this young man was bitten on the palm of his hand, his entire arm became swollen to the point doctors decided to perform a fasciotomy from the palm of his hand to his bicep to relieve pressure.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/files/imagecache/photo-gallery/photo/6/image0022.jpg

Over the next 35 days, eight surgeries were performed. With the injury open, doctors could clean out dead tissue.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/files/imagecache/photo-gallery/photo/6/image0043.jpg

After twenty months and thirteen surgeries, the snakebite victim has recovered mobility and about 80% of the strength in his affected arm and hand.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/files/imagecache/photo-gallery/photo/6/image01514.jpg

View Quote

First picture should be a metal album cover
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:50:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Really? You've never known anyone snakebit?

Lack of medical treatment is a pretty bad idea. Could end badly. But yes, humans can survive nasty snakebites, sometimes even without modern care. Note can does not equal will.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:00:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

This !!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:29:10 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Many bites will not transfer a lethal dose of poison venom. You still don't want to try it. The poison venom (if hemotoxic, and not neurotoxic) does severe damage to the area it affects.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Many bites will not transfer a lethal dose of poison venom. You still don't want to try it. The poison venom (if hemotoxic, and not neurotoxic) does severe damage to the area it affects.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:31:26 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

SNAKE BITTEN

http://www.outdoorlife.com/files/imagecache/photo-gallery/photo/6/image0022.jpg

http://www.outdoorlife.com/files/imagecache/photo-gallery/photo/6/image0043.jpg

http://www.outdoorlife.com/files/imagecache/photo-gallery/photo/6/image01514.jpg

View Quote

Fuck that.

"Doc..... just cut it off.  Yeah, the whole fucking arm.  Do it now."

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:35:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yes
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:58:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:05:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
isn't the copperhead the least venomous/ least aggressive of north American pit vipers?
View Quote

least venomous, agressiveness is spotty. some are docile, some are beasts. by far the most common Snake Bite we see in OK. various rattle snakes and water moccassin next up.

I did some venom research in College and we had to collect our own snakes.  I hated going to get a moccassin.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top