I'm a Hematologist and have worked on hundreds of snake bites. it all boils down to the bite itself and the snake and the persons general physical condition. some are extremely weak bites, but a lot are extremely severe and patient trauma from necrosis and hematological issues as well a bacterial infections are nasty. I did have some bitchin pics somewhere. I might post them, but they are gory and show too much leg for the mods to allow.
- was the bite an actual venomization?
- if so, what was the degree of venomization?
- does the patient have any underlying medical conditions? ( Diabetes..etc?)
- where is the bite site?
- what kind of snake was it?
a majority of bites we see in Oklahoma are older people, usually working in the flower bed or garden. this segment of the population is sky high for numerous health issues that will effect the bite.
I received a mild venomization ( mostly a dry bite) from a Copperhead on my hand from a drunken beach episode in college. it was a very weak bite ( but fully fanged into my hand) and was in excellent physical condition and all I got was a T-shirt and a round of antibiotics which chances are I could have lived without. this is certainly not the case of someone who goes mano y serpent with a Eastern Diamondback or a Black Mamba.