Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:51:53 AM EDT
[#1]
America is not simply a geographic area, or a piece of cloth on a pole.

It's an idea; the idea that people should live and trade in freedom, under a fair but minimal rule of law.

Most other ideologies are slavery at their core, only varying by degree.

To quote a somewhat stupid movie:

"Behind this mask there is more than flesh.  Behind this mask is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof!"

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:53:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Tea Party Republicans (funded and directed by the Koch brothers) are the scourge of the country.  They do not give me any pride.  Watching them cave in was nice.
View Quote

Hey look, you got nominated for the Official Troll List!

Congratulations!

Someone give this man a box of crayons to eat
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:57:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a healthy amount national pride.  Unfortunately, with the way the media and educational systems work today, we will end up like citizens of Europe.  Afraid to express any pride in our nation and its standing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:58:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Proud to be an American? Um... no, not really.

Don't get me wrong, I am proud of what our country has accomplished, and glad that I was born here and even happier that I live here after seeing so many other countries.

But being proud of simply being an American? I was born here, I didn't have any choice in the matter so being proud is as silly as being proud I am a man, or white, or blonde.

Be proud of accomplishments. Be proud about standing firm on your principals. (Obviously, someone who voluntarily comes here for citizenship can be proud of that act!)

Being proud of things you cannot control is mental masturbation at best, delusion at worst.
View Quote

I agree 100%.  I was born south of the border and became an American citizen when I was 13.  I had the privilege of serving in the US Army. Becoming a citizen and serving in our military are things that I'm proud of.  I"ll never live anywhere else. I wasn't born here but I plan on dying here. This is my home.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:02:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Tea Party Republicans (funded and directed by the Koch brothers) are the scourge of the country.  They do not give me any pride.  Watching them cave in was nice.
View Quote

du shut down today?

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:03:19 AM EDT
[#6]
3rd post fails abjectly.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I may hate our government, and hate most of the people who reside in this country's borders, but I'm a fucking American damnit.  I love freedom, cheese burgers, steak, bacon, guns, and vocally describing my disdain for authority.  Those are trademark qualities of being American and I'm proud as fuck about it.
View Quote

As am I, and still willing to fight for it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:04:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
3rd post fails abjectly.
View Quote

Is that David Arquette in your avatar?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am proud of ideas which took hold here. I am not proud of borders, land or symbols.
View Quote

Pretty much this.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:09:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I am proud of America, just not to happy with the people trying to run it into the ground.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:10:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I don’t post often but I feel obliged to do so.  I was born in the USA.  Grew up in the USA, served my country proudly in the US Army and as a US Police officer.  I am a damn proud American.  I currently live in Canada and when you compare the way of life between the 2 countries I have it really, really good here.

I know there are those of you who will flame me for my comments, and say you’re glad I left, but before you judge me come live here for a few years.  Sure Canada has its issues, but our Government has yet to shut down.  The bugs have been worked out of our free health care for the most part and our unemployment rate tolerable.  A case of beer may run you 50 bucks and milk come in bags, but over all I am grateful for the blessings I receive every day.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:12:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I used to.  I would have flags on my cars, everywhere.  I removed them all following the election last fall.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

From the state of  Billory, maybe a true believer .  
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
3rd post fails abjectly.

No.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:24:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don’t post often but I feel obliged to do so.  I was born in the USA.  Grew up in the USA, served my country proudly in the US Army and as a US Police officer.  I am a damn proud American.  I currently live in Canada and when you compare the way of life between the 2 countries I have it really, really good here.

I know there are those of you who will flame me for my comments, and say you’re glad I left, but before you judge me come live here for a few years.  Sure Canada has its issues, but our Government has yet to shut down.  The bugs have been worked out of our free health care for the most part and our unemployment rate tolerable.  A case of beer may run you 50 bucks and milk come in bags, but over all I am grateful for the blessings I receive every day.  
View Quote

Free? Really? So no one pays for it at all? Manufacturers don't charge for products or pay employees? And what about the "bug" of people coming to the US for healthcare you are unable to provide? We are fighting the ACA tooth and nail so we don't end up like that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#16]
I love my country, but despise my government. I'll never lose my pride in my ethics and being an American, and I hope there comes a day that I'm not ashamed of my government.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:28:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Although technically not an American, I feel exceptionally lucky to live here and it will be a proud day when I finally naturalize as an American citizen. I'm hoping that will be in early 2014.

Are there problems? You betcha. Can you succeed with an idea, a few bucks, and the willingness to work your ass off in a way that very few other countries would allow? Hell yes. I love having certain rights outlined in The Constitution, however perverted some judges might make their interpretations of it, and I will defend those rights with my life if it comes down to that. I've come to rather like being free, both in terms of my rights and being free to succeed or fail on my own merits

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:28:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I used to.  I would have flags on my cars, everywhere.  I removed them all following the election last fall.
View Quote

Losing a couple of elections shouldn't cause you to lose pride in your country. A nation is more than just its government.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:34:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Losing a couple of elections shouldn't cause you to lose pride in your country. A nation is more than just its government.
View Quote

by some accounts the world has already ended 598 times since obama took office.

something akin to a fat little kid in the grocery store with mom when she refuses to get him another candy bar.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:36:15 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm not proud of a country that  kicks in a journalist's door at 4 in the morning in order to seize her personal files, I mean look for guns.
I'm not proud of a country that calls a guy a sex offender for dating a girl 2 years younger than him, and prohibits him from owning a gun for the rest of his life.
I'm not proud of a country that spies on the phone calls and emails of all its citizens.
I'm not proud of a country that takes, often, more than 50% of what a person earns in taxes.
I'm not proud of a country that gives special status to minorities and prosecutes people for treating them equally instead of treating them specially.
I'm not proud of a country that runs guns to Mexico.
I'm not proud of a country that leaves its soldiers to die on a rooftop, trying to defend the civilians below them.
I'm not proud of a country that elected a black man because it's history.
I'm not proud of a country that sends someone to prison for twenty years for having a few ounces of a harmless drug.
I'm not proud of a country that takes ownership from creators and gives it to leeching unions.
I'm not proud of a country that steals from struggling taxpayers to bail out failing companies.
I'm not proud of a country that molests children, adults, and seniors for trying to travel.
(do I need to go on?)

If you still think America represents freedom, you're kidding yourself. If you can't separate your support of an ideal from what used to be a symbol for that ideal, then your pride is harmful. Blind patriotism is brainwashing. That's why it's not a good idea to make children pledge themselves to their country/leader/flag every morning.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:37:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Free? Really? So no one pays for it at all? Manufacturers don't charge for products or pay employees? And what about the "bug" of people coming to the US for healthcare you are unable to provide? We are fighting the ACA tooth and nail so we don't end up like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did say for the most part.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:38:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I lost pride in the PEOPLE of my country when Obama was elected a second time. I am still firmly of the opinion that anyone who voted for Obama can go fuck themselves, doubly so if they blame "Bush/Evil Republicans" for the nation's woes.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm not proud of a country that  kicks in a journalist's door at 4 in the morning in order to seize her personal files, I mean look for guns.
I'm not proud of a country that calls a guy a sex offender for dating a girl 2 years younger than him, and prohibits him from owning a gun for the rest of his life.
I'm not proud of a country that spies on the phone calls and emails of all its citizens.
I'm not proud of a country that takes, often, more than 50% of what a person earns in taxes.
I'm not proud of a country that gives special status to minorities and prosecutes people for treating them equally instead of treating them specially.
I'm not proud of a country that leaves its soldiers to die on a rooftop, trying to defend the civilians below them.
I'm not proud of a country that sends someone to prison for twenty years for having a few ounces of a harmless drug.
I'm not proud of a country that takes ownership from creators and gives it to leeching unions.
I'm not proud of a country that steals from struggling taxpayers to bail out failing companies.
I'm not proud of a country that molests children, adults, and seniors for trying to travel.
(do I need to go on?)

If you still think America represents freedom, you're kidding yourself. If you can't separate your support of an ideal from what used to be a symbol for that ideal, then your pride is harmful. Blind patriotism is brainwashing. That's why it's not a good idea to make children pledge themselves to their country/leader/flag every morning.
View Quote

Subtlety isn't exactly in your wheelhouse, is it?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#24]
always question your assumptions... frequently

look at it this way:

there are plenty of people from all corners of the globe that are very happy with their country and think "it doesn't get any better than this"

many of these people have been to the US, too.

Are they wrong? Delusional? In denial?

Is it possible that you're wrong, or delusional, or in denial? Even just a little bit?

Or maybe it's somewhere in between?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:44:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Proud to be an American? Um... no, not really.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:45:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
(do I need to go on?)

You're going to have to make your point a little more clearly for me
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:52:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

The United States is just the Constitution and its founding ideals. It is simply all that the U.S. is. I will fight for it, whereever those ideals and that Constitution are.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:57:18 AM EDT
[#28]
I spent a lot of time in Canada, I had a girlfriend in Victoria. I enjoyed most things about Canada and you are right its has its flaws; like paddling a inflatable raft around a lake like can get you ticket and threat of jail. seriously. after that and few things I began to realize that Canada is a great place to visit and maybe live but it is not America The BEST to place live on earth.

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:02:34 AM EDT
[#29]
I am proud to live in a country where I can get up Sundays and drive to the church of my choice
I am proud to live in a country where while on my way to church I can listen to the radio station of my choice
I am proud to live in a country where we honor our dead and not just toss them in the ground
I am proud to live in a country where I can hunt for my dinner
I am proud to live in a country where I can climb it's highest peaks and stare at the glory below me
I am proud to live in a country where the star spangled banner & taps still brings a mist to my eyes.
I am an American & I am proud
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:05:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

guess your a McCain supporter
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

guess your a McCain supporter

More like a Soros supporter.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:06:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

So no, I'm not proud of our current country. But I am proud of the ideals that we used to represent.
View Quote

Pretty much my feelings as well. It's hard to be proud of the way things are...well, when they are the way they are.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

For me being an American is a Choice not a Birth Right.  I Chose to walk away from my Country of Birth and become an American.  I did not have to and could have gone through the Green Card process every 10 years and remain a Canadian Citizen.  But Texas and America for me IS the right fit.  Never felt more at home anywhere else.

I exercise my 2nd Amendment Proudly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was born in Canada and I moved to Texas and Became an American.  I am proud as all hell to be American.  

I am not proud of the so called "Leaders" of America.  They can suck my asshole

When I see the Stars and Stripes flowing in the wind and know where it comes from and what it represents.  I'll admit it.  Gets my dick hard.  I love my country.  Fuck you Commies for trying to ruin it.

Serious question. Are you able to own all the same firearms US born citizens are? How does that work?

Yes, There is no difference, he is a citizen, an American

So after he goes through the naturalization process (thats what its called right?) hes got full rights? Cool.

For me being an American is a Choice not a Birth Right.  I Chose to walk away from my Country of Birth and become an American.  I did not have to and could have gone through the Green Card process every 10 years and remain a Canadian Citizen.  But Texas and America for me IS the right fit.  Never felt more at home anywhere else.

I exercise my 2nd Amendment Proudly.

Glad to have you, man!

I wish more "natural" Americans saw things like you do.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:09:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
(do I need to go on?)

View Quote

Then get the hell out.  trouble with folks like you is...you lack the courage of your convictions.....Jaxon Raine.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Yep, still proud to be an American.  It is a tough time.

I was at a store the other day buying my daily limit of 200 primers.  The guy in front of me was talking to the clerk.  His Grandson was one of the 4 killed in Afgan. that the government decided not to help out the families.  Broke my heart that the people running our country would do such a thing.

Like I said: It's a tough time to be a proud American.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh no they pay for it.  Tax rate is North of 40% for everyone, 47% last I remember.  Its been 16 years since I left and I would rather pay for insurance out of my own pocket than 40+% of my income.
Also good luck on getting that major operation soon, unless its absolutely life threatening.  I know enough about it to know that they system we HAD here in the US, may be flawed to some but it by far is the best system.  My Mom was an RN for 30+ years in Canada before we moved here in 1997, so I have heard it all when it comes to Socialized Medicine.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:30:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

This message brought to you by George Soros
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:39:40 AM EDT
[#38]
I am proud of my Country and I love it with all my heart. I do not take pride in the leadership.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:45:18 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not that I agree with SoloMan but the laws passed by the current administration will fundamentally alter this country and not for the better. Also, I don't know how easy it is in Sweden to reverse or repeal things but here it ranges from really hard to nigh-impossible. Hell, up until 2006 we were still paying a tax on telephone service to pay for the Spanish-American War and even then it was only partial repealed!

Now, that being said, no one should be giving up the fight any time soon. We still hold ground and I think we may just take more ground in 2014.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:27:50 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This one is brought to you by irony.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top