Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/15/2013 3:35:40 PM EDT
Buying my first house (or I hope I am). We are in love with a house we found but the realor said it has an engineered septic system and that it has an alarm and you have to call a guy every year to service it blah blah blah....its a woman realtor and she doesnt know anything about it. So I sent my father in law over to look at the house today. He says he is suspicious because the houses around the house all heave green "lids" (fuck if I know) next to the alarm and this house doesnt. The head to the well is about 20 feet from the house but we have no idea where the septic tank is. Does this mean anything to anyone? Did the builder bury the head to the septic as a personal preference and the neighbors did not? How big a deal is it if the septic and well are close together? House is on a hill so not too worried about draining. And what about having the system serviced? Big deal? Sorry for rambling retarded banter Im excited about this house and hoping the FIL is just shitting on my parade because we are moving forward with life. Thanks for any input.

Heres a pic of wife since "we" implies my wife

Link Posted: 10/15/2013 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Green lids are just risers, nice if you have to get to the tank for inspection. If your tank is new enough and has a filter, it is smart to check it once a year, the lids make that easy. The fact that you dont have the risers tells me they tank is an older one, any idea how old the tank is?

You can always request the tank be certified through your contract to buy, in AZ its required.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a jet areation unit if it has an alarm. They do require periodic service, but it can be done by you.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Green lids are just risers, nice if you have to get to the tank for inspection. If your tank is new enough and has a filter, it is smart to check it once a year, the lids make that easy. The fact that you dont have the risers tells me they tank is an older one, any idea how old the tank is?

You can always request the tank be certified through your contract to buy, in AZ its required.
View Quote

House built in 2009
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#4]
We have them here as well. They cost a fortune to have designed/installed.

The ones here have an alarm as well as a dialer that calls some county department and they send some guy out to investigate. I wouldn't have one because they (the man!) can come onto your property "to inspect" at any time they want whether you are home or not.

The down side ( there are many) is they are complicated and prone to service and repairs that are $$.

The old style, while not hi-tech, are less prone to failure.

ETA: Nice wife!! What is she doing with that ugly, hairy guy?

Link Posted: 10/15/2013 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The ones here have an alarm as well as a dialer that calls some county department and they send some guy out to investigate. I wouldn't have one because they (the man!) can come onto your property "to inspect" at any time they want whether you are home or not.
The down side ( there are many) is they are complicated and prone to service and repairs that are $$.

View Quote

She likes my big fat ..........beard  
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Look up a local, licensed, septic system company.  Ask them about it and what annual service costs.  Ask if they do annual contracts to cover routine and emergency service.

When the shitter doesn't work, it IS an emergency.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 3:50:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Just ask for an inspection and have someone who knows what he's looking at inspect it.

Certs required in TN and NM as far as I know because so many were installed without permits or supervision.

We have a grinder pump with a green lid and an alarm.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 3:53:12 PM EDT
[#8]
How come your shirt sleeve is a different color, than the rest of the shirt?
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#9]

1 you overachieved ...... srs you did

2 alarm is for a failure

3 engineered system was approved by the county ... pull permit and have it reviewed as part of real estate deal

4. no worries....and in before member con-sol

septic is super effective at what it does. under normal conditions your well and septic will never, ever, ever met each other.....just dont dispose of chlorinated solvents (dry cleaner waste products)

Link Posted: 10/15/2013 3:54:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine has an alarm and was installed in 1997, its for a pump nothing fancy.  Here is the stuff you can do for free to find out more.

call your county inspector, most have a guy who inspects these and water systems and will be happy to give you information
pull the plat, all homes here with septics must register their design and placement with the county.  If its not on the web for free someone in your county septic / water inspection department can pull it and email it to you.

My experience thus far with septic systems is that if you dont flush stuff you didn't eat except for tp, all good.

No garbage disposals (they say some work but is it worth 12 grand to test it), don't dump tons of oil or gallons of clorox and it all works fine.

Before I bought my house I paid someone to pump and inspect the system with a written finding.  This can be a giant fuckup if it is broken or done wrong so consult the experts.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 3:57:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Always wondered what Kerry King's wife looked like.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought you were Zach Brown for a minute there!
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 4:05:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's a jet areation unit if it has an alarm. They do require periodic service, but it can be done by you.
View Quote

Could be a pump station too...
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 4:06:17 PM EDT
[#14]
1st, you married WAY THE FUCK UP!!!

My septic is technically engineered, it is a pump system and has an alarm if the pump fails and the tank fills beyond a certain point, the rest of the system is standard. If it is a "sand mound" type engineered system I would look into the failure rate then decide.

My county requires the pump system.

I need to remove the one green tank lid and rinse out a screen every 6 months. There has never been any "material" stuck to or in the screen, we built 7-8 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 4:08:13 PM EDT
[#15]
The term "engineered septic system" is specific to the Uniform Plumbing Code.

It actually does mean something.

A carpenter will be along shortly to explain it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 4:08:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pump or lift stations are usually run by municipalities though, not homeowners.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 4:12:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Holy shit did you marry up.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 4:12:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He may mean LPP system pump.  Red light triggered by float alarms if the pump goes tits up.  I fully expect this to fail saturday pm or something when someone wants triple time to fix it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 4:12:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh fuck this shit, I've been doing all wrong.
Thats it, I'm getting fucking fat!
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 4:13:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This pic was 4 months ago. Zac brown ain't on my level
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 4:17:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

He may mean LPP system pump.  Red light triggered by float alarms if the pump goes tits up.  I fully expect this to fail saturday pm or something when someone wants triple time to fix it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, the air "pump" may be what he meant. When the pump is running and all is normal, the float will stay submerged in the areated effluent. When the pump fails, the float will rise to the top and trigger the alarm.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 4:19:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Is your wife legally blind?

Thanks for giving hope to all us chubby bald guys
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 4:19:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#25]
It means anything other than a system sized by prescription under the UPC.

Moar
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Nice wife, inkie.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 4:34:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Let's see a pic, brad Pitt. How's your beard game?
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You look like I guy I work with. (sleeves, beard, etc.)

If you are anything like him, then you are cool as shit.
My buddy at work gives zero fucks about anything and everything in life. I wish I could be so laid back.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey if things don't work out with your wife tell her I say hi.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Where in VA?  I have a system with alarm never had an issue with it. I pumped the tank when I moved in to be safe. Have you lived on septic before?  A lot of how open or if you have to pump the tank depends on what you put down the drain.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Where in VA?  I have a system with alarm never had an issue with it. I pumped the tank when I moved in to be safe. Have you lived on septic before?  A lot of how open or if you have to pump the tank depends on what you put down the drain.
View Quote

Southeast va

Edit to add

So the consensus seems to be that I dot need to run away from this house?
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Southeast va

Edit to add

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Southeast va

Edit to add

So, ham, bacon, fireworks country?
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 5:00:29 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't have a green cover on mine either. We have some low lying areas that pool water and I don't have an issue you are on a hill I think that will help.   I'm in Chesapeake a lot of the septic systems seem set up like mine and as you described. I think you will be fine, pump he tank when you move in and monitor what you put own the drain and you'll be fine
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 5:01:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Find out where the septic tank is
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 5:03:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Like you, VA, we're looking in the country.  

There seems to be three basic setups for septic from what I gather

1. Traditional gravity flow to tank, gravity flow to drain field

2. Lift pump (from house to tank I think but maybe tank to field)

3. Aerated setups that make your septic a more effective mini sewage treatment plant

I don't know if I've got it right but that's what I think is the deal.

Anyway, I'm interested in hearing from someone with credentials since I want to understand these things better.

My concerns are
A. after the power goes out, how much can the system accept before problems?  
B. If there's a pump, there's a backflow valve.  How can this go bad and will it flood my basement with sewage?  How can it be checked?
C. What kinds of bad things can happen due to rain, etc.?  Can the system fill via ground seepage and then flood my house while I'm not there?

Link Posted: 10/15/2013 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#36]

I don't kow anything about septic systems, but your wife must have bad eye sight or something.  You married up.  She is pretty, you are pretty ugly.

Link Posted: 10/15/2013 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Questions,
Drain field or sprinkler heads?
If sprinkler heads the. You have a aerator system which will require chlorine tablets and pump service every two years
I would do the following, call the county or whoever va requires for permits on poo pots and pull the permit ect.
Have it inspected, preferably by the instaler if they offer discounts for pumping out if they inspect it.

Hepful hint~ require home, septic, well, and water inspection passage before closing on the house in the contract.

Price list for upper areas of va should be as follows
Home inspection~ $300-375
Water and well inspection~ $115~175
Poo pot inspection~ $150-200
Poo pot pump~$200 max without discount from inspection

May differ slightly since some home inspectors are trained to do multiple service inspections, the price should be somewhat lower if they do.  Also I suggest a radon test if it has a basement.

Your welcome and pm me if you have any questions since I am quite keen on the subject at hand.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Is she blind?
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#39]
I came here for a poop thread....

satisfaction...
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 5:09:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Get a pro to inspect and tell you exactly what is going on and explain how the system works and why it was designed that way, that's what I would do.  Then decide on the house from there.

edit: Cute wife.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 5:10:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Get a pro to inspect and tell you exactly what is going on and explain how the system works and why it was designed that way, that's what I would do.  Then decide on the house from there.
View Quote

Follow this advice.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I don't kow anything about septic systems, but your wife must have bad eye sight or something.  You married up.  She is pretty, you are pretty ugly.

View Quote

No no you see some women like a man that looks like a man. I'm actually quite handsome!!!!
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Congratulations on your ginormous penis.  Or bank account.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 5:19:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Hell no man....no need to worry at all.  That is a very new build and everything should be good to go for quite a long time unless they really fucked something up.  

They take annual maintenance, but that is why they invented a phone

Have an inspection by someone who is competent (I am not even sure why this is even being said, as there is no way you should be buying a house regardless without a detailed inspection).  Make your contract dependent on inspection....and even if something is wrong with the septic foudn on inspection you can negotiate that into the price of the house.  Once a problem has been found, they most likely will be bound to disclose it to any other potential buyer after you, so they should be willing to negotiate.  Call local shit man and ask him how much annual maintenance is a year, and you will be good to go!  

Septic and wells are nothing to be scared of.....shit, I think of it as a good sign as it usually means I am away from the city fucks
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Buying my first house (or I hope I am). We are in love with a house we found but the realor said it has an engineered septic system and that it has an alarm and you have to call a guy every year to service it blah blah blah....its a woman realtor and she doesnt know anything about it. So I sent my father in law over to look at the house today. He says he is suspicious because the houses around the house all heave green "lids" (fuck if I know) next to the alarm and this house doesnt. The head to the well is about 20 feet from the house but we have no idea where the septic tank is. Does this mean anything to anyone? Did the builder bury the head to the septic as a personal preference and the neighbors did not? How big a deal is it if the septic and well are close together? House is on a hill so not too worried about draining. And what about having the system serviced? Big deal? Sorry for rambling retarded banter Im excited about this house and hoping the FIL is just shitting on my parade because we are moving forward with life. Thanks for any input.

Heres a pic of wife since "we" implies my wife

<a href="http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/gunsmithinbulldog/media/2F86BB3E-8204-4B91-AC2B-2AA4F6D633FF-2733-0000021CE6125ED4_zps3edcec89.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii610/gunsmithinbulldog/2F86BB3E-8204-4B91-AC2B-2AA4F6D633FF-2733-0000021CE6125ED4_zps3edcec89.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/gunsmithinbulldog/media/E628DB27-415A-4C85-99B6-C1E541B17FB9-5488-0000046DA5B9B0A3_zps19c08da5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii610/gunsmithinbulldog/E628DB27-415A-4C85-99B6-C1E541B17FB9-5488-0000046DA5B9B0A3_zps19c08da5.jpg</a>

View Quote

Wow how'd you pull that off?
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Don't ever play the lotto. You used all your luck when you got that wife.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#47]
We bought a house back in March with a septic system. Septic systems are fairly common in this area so we weren't to concerned. After spending $1000.00 a few weeks ago and another $500 this week I wish I would have done more initially.

1. Have it pumped and inspected. We had ours pumped but it wasn't inspected and only the septic tank was pumped. Our lift station/dosing tank was never even opened. 3 weeks ago when we found 1500 gallons of water in our tank we called out the same company who originally pumped it and found out he only pumped the tank. We found a screwdriver and a bunch of aggregate in the dosing  tank. Our pump was burned out and the electrical was never done correctly and was left exposed in the riser of the dosing tank. When it filled up we had 1500 gallons of energized water.

2. Check your pump and your septic design. If the pump was ever replaced it might be wrong.

3. If it has an alarm panel this could either be just a high water alarm or a control panel for you pump system. If it's a control panel this will run your pump and it's floats. It will also have a high water float. Check to see if it's a timed or demand based system. Also check to see if the control panel is powered by 2 separate circuits. That way if the pump shorts out your high water alarm will still work.

I feel like I've learned way more about our system and various others over the last three weeks than I should have. Now that I know more I'm a lot more trusting in what we have since it's been fixed correctly and we now have an alarm system in place.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Congratulations on your ginormous penis.  Or bank account.
View Quote

Likely both
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 1:45:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
We bought a house back in March with a septic system. Septic systems are fairly common in this area so we weren't to concerned. After spending $1000.00 a few weeks ago and another $500 this week I wish I would have done more initially.

1. Have it pumped and inspected. We had ours pumped but it wasn't inspected and only the septic tank was pumped. Our lift station/dosing tank was never even opened. 3 weeks ago when we found 1500 gallons of water in our tank we called out the same company who originally pumped it and found out he only pumped the tank. We found a screwdriver and a bunch of aggregate in the dosing  tank. Our pump was burned out and the electrical was never done correctly and was left exposed in the riser of the dosing tank. When it filled up we had 1500 gallons of energized water.

2. Check your pump and your septic design. If the pump was ever replaced it might be wrong.

3. If it has an alarm panel this could either be just a high water alarm or a control panel for you pump system. If it's a control panel this will run your pump and it's floats. It will also have a high water float. Check to see if it's a timed or demand based system. Also check to see if the control panel is powered by 2 separate circuits. That way if the pump shorts out your high water alarm will still work.

I feel like I've learned way more about our system and various others over the last three weeks than I should have. Now that I know more I'm a lot more trusting in what we have since it's been fixed correctly and we now have an alarm system in place.
View Quote

The house we are looking at is a foreclosure (small town that had its biggest employer shut down) so I guess it's owned by the bank. The bank will pay to have all this shit inspected right?
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 1:59:12 AM EDT
[#50]
YOU pay for the inspection, as the bank doesn't give two shits if the house falls apart after you buy.

GET an inspection.  This is pretty much mandatory.  We had to have separate inspectors for the house and septic/well.

GET AN INSPECTION.  Call around, google, read reviews.

Your paperwork for the house should say approval pending INSPECTION.  Even after you put in an offer, you should be able to walk and get your holding payment back after the inspection if it finds lots of repair costs.  MAKE SURE YOUR REALTOR PUTS THIS IN THE PAPERWORK.

READ EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU SIGN.

EVERYTHING.

If you aren't comfortable with it, and don't feel your realtor is taking the time, get a realty lawyer.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top