Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/15/2013 10:16:01 AM EDT
This Nat Geo sci-fi production looks like it's gonna be a decent one.  

American Blackout
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 10:21:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds interesting... DVR Set.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm in Texas. We have our own power grid.

Eastern interconnect goes down, big woop.

TXL
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Glad to see more mainstream stuff like this. Prepping is catching on, and the more common basic prepping becomes, the more resilient we are as a society.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 10:32:55 AM EDT
[#4]
What I hate about shows like this they always end up showing the guys who prepped with guns to be the ones going around dressed in camo and being thugs taking stuff from people...
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Yay another blackout thread

Link Posted: 10/15/2013 10:35:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

TXL
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/15/2013 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What I hate about shows like this they always end up showing the guys who prepped with guns to be the ones going around dressed in camo and being thugs taking stuff from people...
View Quote

What do you think my plan is???
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

TXL
View Quote

Pffffffft.  Amatuer.

I live is SE MI.  When we take down the grid, the whole NE part of the country goes back.

Link Posted: 10/15/2013 10:38:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

While I share your disdain for such bias... sadly, there are plenty of "preppers" whose idea of prepping consists solely of being tactically superior to their neighbors. Plenty of them on this site even.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 10:44:12 AM EDT
[#10]
DVR set. info says its from 2006, this may be a real old show
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Glad to see more mainstream stuff like this. Prepping is catching on, and the more common basic prepping becomes, the more resilient we are as a society.

View Quote

Yeah, but I wonder how many that watch actually prep?

Looks cool, will watch.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 10:47:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
DVR set. info says its from 2006, this may be a real old show
View Quote

The Nat Geo website says this is a World Premier Movie Event.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

TXL
View Quote

Same here. DC line down from Hydro Quebec.

Link Posted: 10/15/2013 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Walking Dead or the Nat Geo show... damnit.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Walking Dead or the Nat Geo show... damnit.
View Quote

One or both of them will be repeated later that same night. IIRC, The Walking Dead is followed by Talking Dead, then by 2 additional airings of the WD episode, back-to-back.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Featured prominently in both the preview and the trailer is a woman's voice saying:

"Why is no one helping us?!"

Sounds realistic.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I couldn't agree more. This is excellent.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 11:41:04 AM EDT
[#18]
You guys go ahead and Blackout.
I'm running my OWN grid.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm running my OWN grid.
View Quote

I guess technically I am as well... I have a whole-house backup generator.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 11:43:44 AM EDT
[#20]
looks pretty good OP ,DVR set.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

wait were not suposta do that? Shit whats the point in prepping if I cant be a Block Warlord..
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Does this conflict with Walking Dead?

I don't have DVR..
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Tag
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Why is everything I want to watch on Sunday at 9?
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 11:51:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm running my OWN grid.
View Quote

Give me about 3 more months and I will be too.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 11:52:27 AM EDT
[#26]
300 blackout?
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

While I share your disdain for such bias... sadly, there are plenty of "preppers" whose idea of prepping consists solely of being tactically superior to their neighbors. Plenty of them on this site even.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like this guy?

Quoted:
I am an insulin dependent diabetic and have found out different ways to use pig pancreas to suvive so the hard part is finding a pig farm and being able to keep them breeding to prolong my life. Worstcase eat the pig pancreas raw but then risk bacterial infections or god knows what else. It will suck. My first operation in the beginning will be to take my ammo and guns to our pharmacy D.C. nearby and raid it to take as much as I can killing anyone that gets into the way. Keeping it cool is easy 21/2 to 3 feet in the ground the temp. should sustain the insulin. Maybe get by another year or two. My gameplan is to suvive long enough to train my family to survive and hand them the keys to my ammo stashes and guns and supplies. I hope it never happens

Link Posted: 10/15/2013 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I think most people on this site would relish the thought of a massive grid failure.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 12:08:22 PM EDT
[#29]
I had my service main dropped this summer so i could cut some trees.  I picked the brain of the lineman who did this. He said First Energy is about 30 years behind in upgrades and has cut way back on line maintenance.  Said that they have main lines pulling more voltage then they are rated for and expects to see major black out before his carrer is over.  His quote that he tells people "welcome to first energy, buy a generator"

8nbaiy
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 12:49:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
300 blackout?
View Quote

haha
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 2:44:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Looks cool, will watch.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks cool, will watch.  

"Preppers" may still be pretty uncommon, but the idea of having a weeks worth of stuff on hand is far more mainstream and common than it was ten years ago. Katrina seems to have been a wake up call for quite a few folk.

Stuff like this helps - gentle pressure, relentlessly applied.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 2:50:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Like this guy?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like this guy?

Quoted:
I am an insulin dependent diabetic and have found out different ways to use pig pancreas to suvive so the hard part is finding a pig farm and being able to keep them breeding to prolong my life. Worstcase eat the pig pancreas raw but then risk bacterial infections or god knows what else. It will suck. My first operation in the beginning will be to take my ammo and guns to our pharmacy D.C. nearby and raid it to take as much as I can killing anyone that gets into the way. Keeping it cool is easy 21/2 to 3 feet in the ground the temp. should sustain the insulin. Maybe get by another year or two. My gameplan is to suvive long enough to train my family to survive and hand them the keys to my ammo stashes and guns and supplies. I hope it never happens

Yup.

We'll see how his "gameplan" works-out...
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Does this conflict with Walking Dead?

I don't have DVR..
View Quote

Most nat geo stuff ends up on Amazon pretty quickly.

Link Posted: 10/15/2013 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm running my OWN grid.
View Quote

Amen.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:32:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yup.

View Quote

If he's got an ounce of skill and a capable gun he's a lightyear ahead of about 99% of the sheep.

Hell, if he's just got a gun and can hit a target at 100 yards offhand he's ahead of easily 95%.

Chances are the people he'll be going up against will be either totally unarmed, or unable to even hit him without a ton and a half of luck. You don't actually think a few Goblins with their Tec 9's are going to provide effective resistence to you, do you?

Hell, I've been to classes where half the class couldn't even touch a man sized target at 100 with a tier 1 gun that will absolutely shoot an inch, couldn't successfully reload their AR in under five seconds, and could barely run a mile if they had to, and they're self proclaimed "Shooters."
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:44:52 AM EDT
[#36]
A few weeks ago my cousin was telling me about how guns could be used to trade for necessities if a societal collapse were to happen.

I said, why would I want to give up my guns for goods when I could USE my guns to acquire those goods without a trade?

Seriously, NEVER give up your weapons.

As unfortunate as it is, survival of the fittest still applies.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:46:13 AM EDT
[#37]
More Liberal Wishful Thinking.  I will pass.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:49:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not to mention the culprits of the whole catastrophe will be "extreme constitutionalists" or some such.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:51:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah...But being an apex predator at the top of the food chain is a lot better than playing the part of  the prey.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:57:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yup.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like this guy?

Quoted:

Yup.

May work out well if he gets with a group of like minded individuals and work as a unit. Going it alone would add much more probability of failure.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 8:03:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any plan is better than no plan.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 8:06:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Looks interesting. Trying to amp up the fear factor before Halloween it looks like.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 8:29:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If he's got an ounce of skill and a capable gun he's a lightyear ahead of about 99% of the sheep.

Hell, if he's just got a gun and can hit a target at 100 yards offhand he's ahead of easily 95%.

Chances are the people he'll be going up against will be either totally unarmed, or unable to even hit him without a ton and a half of luck. You don't actually think a few Goblins with their Tec 9's are going to provide effective resistence to you, do you?

Hell, I've been to classes where half the class couldn't even touch a man sized target at 100 with a tier 1 gun that will absolutely shoot an inch, couldn't successfully reload their AR in under five seconds, and could barely run a mile if they had to, and they're self proclaimed "Shooters."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup.

"Planning" to prey on the sheep for survival is I dunno... EVIL.

I guess that I'm a bit "wacky" in that my preps were always designed at self-sufficiency and sustainable independence as much as possible, and as being a productive member of a group of like-minded people. It was never offensive in nature, only defensive. The ONLY offensive planning or thinking that I've ever done was in terms of dealing with known wolves who would prey on those less tactically able to defend themselves. And I assure you that I am not alone. The packs of wolves may roam from flock to flock, feasting on the spoils of their pillage. But they will eventually come upon a flock that is more able/willing to defend itself.

Guys (here and elsewhere) who PLAN to pillage/loot/steal/murder/etc to survive when TSHTF are pathetic, sorry excuses for human beings and I piss on all and their supposed "survival" instinct. What an ignorant, selfish, lazy way to take care of their responsibilities to their families and fellow human beings. These low-lifes are EXACTLY the reason that I armed myself with tools of combat years ago and came here to learn more about how to defend, prep, and survive. And I'm far from the only one. A wolf is a wolf... regardless if they choose to show their colors before or after TSHTF.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Anyone read the Rawles books or the lights out or one second after?

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Sales pitch for NVGs
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 11:56:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Anyone read the Rawles books or the lights out or one second after?

View Quote

The first Rawles book Patriots blows goats. His nonfic prepper book is not bad though.

I read and enjoyed Lights Out greatly - highly recommend.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 11:59:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm not in Texas. We aren't on their have our own power grid.

Eastern Texas interconnect goes down, big woop.

View Quote

Having your own interconnect doesn't make you immune to grid problems.  It only makes you immune to other people's grid problems...
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

TXL
View Quote

Damn......I want to spank the fuck out of the girl in your avatar!!!!!! So hard she'll end up in a full body cast!
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Website asks "What would happen if the power went out for 10 days?"  Meh........we had a storm about 5 years ago that knocked my power out for two weeks, I lived thru it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Website asks "What would happen if the power went out for 10 days?"  Meh........we had a storm about 5 years ago that knocked my power out for two weeks, I lived thru it.
View Quote

We had an ice storm in 2009.  I was without power for 14 days, some were without for over a month.  We didn't resort to random violence or long pig bbq.  Then again, where I live is entirely different from the large urban areas.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top