Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/14/2013 11:40:12 AM EDT
This is what happens when they courts get involved and tell you who you have to hire. I welcome this news. These people should never have been given the chance to ride a truck anyway.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/13/fdnys-court-mandated-class-flaming-out/
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#1]
They sent me a letter to join the class action suit over this shit.

- the hiring process.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#2]
In before runcible ...
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 11:45:03 AM EDT
[#3]
but, but , but is more fair this way !!
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#4]
He said physical demands, such as running a mile and a half in 12 minutes, are too strictly enforced and said probies who show steady improvement are still being weeded out.
View Quote

Seriously? They were gifted a spot, now they want more time on the run too? Unfuckingbelievable.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 11:51:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Where are the fucking trophies for everyone? HMMMMMM?
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#6]
My father was an instructor at the FDNY academy in the '80s. I'll be sending him this link so he can laugh his ass off.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 12:04:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#8]
WTF...they always leave the Asians out  
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#9]

"I’m good at the physical stuff — that wasn’t a problem for me,” said
a near-40-year-old who first took the FDNY entrance test in 1999 and
jumped at the chance to try again. But the exams, on topics from
building construction to hazardous ­materials, tripped him up.

"The only thing was academic. I wanted to stay with it, but the
people who run the academy felt my GPA was too low,” he said, adding
that he could have improved his grades if given more time.

"I think I could have pulled it off. I left my job to try something new, and they kicked me to the curb.”

View Quote

I mean really, how hard can the fire academy be?
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm curious how you "too strictly enforce" a run time.

You either make the run in the required time, or you don't.
View Quote

Math is hard, and stuff.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 12:15:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
"I’m good at the physical stuff — that wasn’t a problem for me,” said a near-40-year-old who first took the FDNY entrance test in 1999 and jumped at the chance to try again. But the exams, on topics from building construction to hazardous ­materials, tripped him up.

"The only thing was academic. I wanted to stay with it, but the people who run the academy felt my GPA was too low,” he said, adding that he could have improved his grades if given more time.

"I think I could have pulled it off. I left my job to try something new, and they kicked me to the curb.”

What's that, a 40 year old guy can't compete with 20 somethings doing a physical activity?

Color me shocked.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#12]
We have lost 50% in academies. That is without any affirmative action based hiring. The only extra points go for vets.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He said physical demands, such as running a mile and a half in 12 minutes, are too strictly enforced and said probies who show steady improvement are still being weeded out.

Seriously? They were gifted a spot, now they want more time on the run too? Unfuckingbelievable.

You don't see the problem? They tried hard, doesn't that count for anything? A for effort, everyone's a winner, any of that ring a bell?

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In before runcible ...
View Quote

I'm just dropping in to say DUPE.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 12:24:22 PM EDT
[#16]
You watch.  The courts will force them to lower their acadamy standards.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 12:25:29 PM EDT
[#17]
LOL, Standards are now a myth.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#18]
FUEGO!
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 12:34:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, they will keep the standards but the city will tell their instructors to pass them even though they didn't meet them.
Just like all the people in my police academy class who dropped out of every run, couldn't do the obstacle course, etc who then miraculously passed on the final try while the rest of us were told to wait outside the gym in the hallway.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 12:39:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I think paralyzed people are under represented in the F.D.  They ought to fix that.

And midgets too.  Dear lord, I'd like to see a chinese fire drill with an all midget crew.

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 12:51:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
And midgets too.  Dear lord, I'd like to see a chinese fire drill with an all midget crew.
View Quote

We had a midget on the PD.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Me and my wife are both career FF's.

Stuff like this pisses her off to no end, because everyone thinks she got special treatment because she's a woman, and in turn, no matter what she achieves on her own, she doesn't get full credit because they think she had an easier path.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No, they will keep the standards but the city will tell their instructors to pass them even though they didn't meet them.
Just like all the people in my police academy class who dropped out of every run, couldn't do the obstacle course, etc who then miraculously passed on the final try while the rest of us were told to wait outside the gym in the hallway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 12:53:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm would love to be a firefighter for a living, but I have the sense to know that I'm past my expiration date.

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 12:55:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Were uniforms special order...or was he undercover? Nobody would ever thing a midget slinging dope was a cop!

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 12:59:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep I think she got fired over a domestic with her girlfriend. Seems she used to get short with people all the time...
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yep I think she got fired over a domestic with her girlfriend. Seems she used to get short with people all the time...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 1:03:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 1:03:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
We have lost 50% in academies. That is without any affirmative action based hiring. The only extra points go for vets.
View Quote

Why would they care if you can heal sick/injured animals?

I guess maybe for all the "cat in tree" rescue calls?

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Funny, that phenomenon has happened around here a few times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Happened in my academy class with the two broads, who also failed marksmanship, pursuit driving, and subject control. And guess which two of 20 graduates got hired IMMEDIATELY.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Not allowing blind people to be Airline Pilots is discriminatory !!!

The Ol' Crew Chief
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 1:20:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I ROST!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Happened in my academy class with the two broads, who also failed marksmanship, pursuit driving, and subject control. And guess which two of 20 graduates got hired IMMEDIATELY.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The chick next to me in my academy class used to close her eyes and look away every time she fired her gun.

She was there on graduation day, just like the rest of us.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The chick next to me in my academy class used to close her eyes and look away every time she fired her gun.

She was there on graduation day, just like the rest of us.
View Quote

The best is when they put their thumb behind the slide like they're shooting a revolver (even though they've already been told 100 times not to).  
Can't follow instructions, blood everywhere, still gets to try again, still gets to graduate.

Or the one who drove off the high speed pursuit course into the woods instead of slowing down to make the turn...
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Unqualified people don't make good firefighters?

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 2:10:49 PM EDT
[#38]
several years ago I was trying to get on with the fire dept. in my city.  I did very well on the physical tests, written test, and interview board (I had friends in the dept. and they let me know how I ranked).  I was making my plans at their instruction to get ready for the academy and at the last minute, the mayor stepped in and did the hiring b/c of bitching and griping from leaders of the community.  I got bumped out along with several others.  That particular class only lasted about three weeks before they shut the whole thing down due to so many dropping out or not being able to do the tasks given to them.  After that the mayor said "fuck it" and let the dept. have control of the hiring again.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Same thing when I was in boot camp in 1999. 7 out of the 9 women in my company couldn't pass the run, the CC took them by themselves the next day and they all improved their run times by several minutes that day.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 2:20:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's exactly what they will do, and what they have ALWAYS done. The public would be shocked to hear that many officers who are on the streets did not actually meet all the standards.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 2:21:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol I remember her, she was a lesbian dwarf with a Mohawk
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 2:25:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tunnel rat?
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 4:42:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Same thing when I was in boot camp in 1999. 7 out of the 9 women in my company couldn't pass the run, the CC took them by themselves the next day and they all improved their run times by several minutes that day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least when it comes to civil service, some people simply can't fail.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:58:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 3:59:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Oh come on  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh come on  

Surely you don't think that he's kidding?
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:01:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:02:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:24:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
A midget? I understand nyc is crazy but a midget cop? how would he pass any of the physical tests, like running, or get through classes on arresting people?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh come on  

A midget? I understand nyc is crazy but a midget cop? how would he pass any of the physical tests, like running, or get through classes on arresting people?  

I assume you missed the rest of this thread which contained a very lengthy discussion about people failing to meet the standards for PD, FF, Boot Camp, etc. and still passing the course. Not hard to believe a midget would make it because someone didn't want to offend his little feelings.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:54:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Where are the fucking trophies for everyone? HMMMMMM?
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/10/2013 4:57:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh come on  

Actually, it makes perfect sense. You don't want your cops looking down on the public.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top