User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 171
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:02:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: joekizanyu] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Silver_Surfer:

Because he's Japanese.

Think it started in the bar when he wussed out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WildBoar:
Why do folks call Glenn, Gene?

Because he's Japanese.

First, Gene is Korean.

Second, the name stuck because someone who shall remain nameless (Aimless) accidentally called Glenn Gene. If I had to guess, this happened about 80 pages ago.

ETA: I actually think this happened in a previous WD thread.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:13:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Was that Carol in the bushes with blood on her face?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:30:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Uh that guy was definitely taking that girl's arm off with a wire saw.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:19:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Someone slowed the new trailer down 50%;

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:36:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:13:13 AM EDT
[#6]
The new trailers looks really good. I love that Rick is running an Ak now. Cannibls never saw that coming
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:39:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:04:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SpanishInquisition] [#8]
Originally Posted By mizzarley:
Was that Carol in the bushes with blood on her face?
View Quote

Yes.

Also, at 1:25 in, Carol is with the group, as is the smokin' hot Rosita Espinosa. They've not previously met.

At 3:20, it looks like Rick has his python back.

5:30-ish, Beth appears to be in a place that looks like a hospital with electrical power and cops carrying radios. DC maybe?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:06:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By USPcompact:

Zombie sharks, bro.  

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By RTUtah:

In for S5, but y'all already knew that.

Zombie sharks, bro.  

When are they gonna happen across a zed Sasquatch?

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By itsARanchrifle:

Looks good.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sixgunsblazing:
season 5 Official Trailer!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4GAs9TJVjM&list=PLP63B9XPsQt0KiUz3ffyiS1tpDywWraPF&index=6

Looks good.

I don't know if I changed it or something but the video that came up for me was not the trailer.  I did watch the official Comic-Con trailer for TWD and a warning for the non spoiler types they pretty much spoil an entire storyline in the trailer.  I would NOT recommend that trailer for anyone who really tries to stay spoiler free.  I am not generally that type but I really wish I had not watched it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:41:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By sircam671:

I dunno - in a lot of their video where they show the crew out and about (on what I presume is their trip to DC), Glenn is present.  
So I'd guess the sequence of events would be:
Termites give the crew knockout gas, takes them to the slaughterhouse
Bob convinces the Termites of Eugene's importance
Termites allow the crew to do their mission to DC, but holds some of the crew as collateral and insurance that they will return
View All Quotes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4GAs9TJVjM&list=PLP63B9XPsQt0KiUz3ffyiS1tpDywWraPF&index=6

Looks good.
Looks like Glenn gets the bat.  

I dunno - in a lot of their video where they show the crew out and about (on what I presume is their trip to DC), Glenn is present.  
Termites allow the crew to do their mission to DC, but holds some of the crew as collateral and insurance that they will return

I think that should probably be in spoiler tags....
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

Zombie sharks, bro.  

Zedsquatch!

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Zedsquatch!

View All Quotes

Zombie sharks, bro.  

Zedsquatch!

Bigzed.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:

Yes, it was at least last seasons thread, or even the one before that.

I don't think it was Aimless though, but one of our Mods. I'm not naming names though.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:
Originally Posted By joekizanyu:
Why do folks call Glenn, Gene?

Because he's Japanese.

First, Gene is Korean.

Second, the name stuck because someone who shall remain nameless (Aimless) accidentally called Glenn Gene. If I had to guess, this happened about 80 pages ago.

ETA: I actually think this happened in a previous WD thread.

Yes, it was at least last seasons thread, or even the one before that.

I don't think it was Aimless though, but one of our Mods. I'm not naming names though.

I think the Gene reference goes all the way back to the Season 1 thread, I think it was around the time he barreled out of Atlanta and into camp in the Dodge Challenger with the alarm blaring.

-Gator
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:09:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JIP:

View All Quotes

Looks good.
Looks like Glenn gets the bat.  

That's all just wild guessing by me, extrapolated from scenes in the above video.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#16]

That's all just wild guessing by me, extrapolated from scenes in the above video.
View Quote

Yeah but to me that video is one big spoiler...

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:15:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RAINBOW6] [#17]

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes

Click To View Spoiler

Looks like the line "they're screwing with the wrong people" should have applied to the people of Terminus. They seem to have their act together controlling outsiders.

So the storyline has them becoming the Terminus people's bitches????....at least in order to survive, buy time, and not become what's for dinner tonight. The season preview seems to  suggest rick and company eventually gain the upper hand.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Some more observations and wild guesses,
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:12:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Johnny_Reno:

It's also possible that they wanted an opportunity to determine if Rick's group were suitable to join the ranks of those at Terminus or to determine whether they were better suited to feed the ranks of Terminus.

Leave them with their weapons until the evaluation has been determined.

If they look tasty - remove the weapons.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Johnny_Reno:
Originally Posted By TAP:
Originally Posted By BushBoar:
Originally Posted By Balista:
http://i.imgur.com/7mpllI4.png

The checking for weapons and then giving them back makes perfect sense.
You give the weapons back so that the prey doesn't have its guard up.

But you know what they've got so when you've got them covered by multiple rifles from an elevated position, you can tell that they're totally disarming when ordered to do so.

It does indeed make perfect sense from the badguy's perspective.  But I can't think of one non-badguy reason to do that, and thus even more red flags should have been going off in Rick's head.

It's also possible that they wanted an opportunity to determine if Rick's group were suitable to join the ranks of those at Terminus or to determine whether they were better suited to feed the ranks of Terminus.

Leave them with their weapons until the evaluation has been determined.

If they look tasty - remove the weapons.

I would watch at least one episode that featured such evaluations...as long as the writers don't make it retarded.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:20:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By DriftPunch:

We tend to overestimate our safety, which leads us to living in a pretty monumental bubble.  When that bubble bursts, chaos develops quickly.

I nearly got into a fight once in the '90s because of a malfunctioning kerosene pump during an ice storm related extended blackout.  The pump-clerk connection was iffy, and it was hard to reset a session.  The dude behind me wanted to take my money, and continue my session.  Sounds nice, but there's no way to guarantee he wouldn't just walk and I'd be a part of the theft by default.  I clicked it off, and he went apeshit.  All this due to a slight inconvenience, not SHTF.

It taught me a lesson in being prepared...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DriftPunch:
Originally Posted By TacticalPenguin:

I think by the time people believed what was happening, it was getting real tight on evac time, and i am betting alot wouldn't believe at all because "it's impossible"

We tend to overestimate our safety, which leads us to living in a pretty monumental bubble.  When that bubble bursts, chaos develops quickly.

I nearly got into a fight once in the '90s because of a malfunctioning kerosene pump during an ice storm related extended blackout.  The pump-clerk connection was iffy, and it was hard to reset a session.  The dude behind me wanted to take my money, and continue my session.  Sounds nice, but there's no way to guarantee he wouldn't just walk and I'd be a part of the theft by default.  I clicked it off, and he went apeshit.  All this due to a slight inconvenience, not SHTF.

It taught me a lesson in being prepared...

Maybe it's just because it's after midnight, but I do not understand the bold parts of that story at all.  Perhaps I'd get it if this "session" thing were explained...
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I *think* some stations are set up so that the pump won't start pumping unless it is authorized via electronic signal by the clerk inside the store (pump-clerk connection).  The clerk at this station was having some problems with that signal.  "Session" is the transaction period in which the customer unhooks the pump, the clerk authorizes the transaction, the fuel is pumped and then the pump is turned off, resetting it for the next customer/session.  Since the pump was malfunctioning, the second guy in line asked the first guy in line to not hang up the pump when he (first guy) was done.  Second guy just wanted to take first guy's money and pay for both purchases as one, just in case the pump decided to break down completely after first guy's session.

That was my interpretation, anyways - hope I didn't make it worse.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:06:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I *think* some stations are set up so that the pump won't start pumping unless it is authorized via electronic signal by the clerk inside the store (pump-clerk connection).  The clerk at this station was having some problems with that signal.  "Session" is the transaction period in which the customer unhooks the pump, the clerk authorizes the transaction, the fuel is pumped and then the pump is turned off, resetting it for the next customer/session.  Since the pump was malfunctioning, the second guy in line asked the first guy in line to not hang up the pump when he (first guy) was done.  Second guy just wanted to take first guy's money and pay for both purchases as one, just in case the pump decided to break down completely after first guy's session.

That was my interpretation, anyways - hope I didn't make it worse.
View Quote

That is 100x clearer to me.  I hope your interpretation is right because that's what makes the most sense.  Thank you.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:37:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:41:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 3:42:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By Discolite:

You know this is going to sound weird or far out but....

I was watching a few episodes on my tablet today. Like the earlier ones up til more recent.   Everyone busts on Rick for being pusillanimous at times. Or whatever. And wants to side with the Army guy or Shane.  And to an extent, I used to agree.  But...he's actually handled the end of the world a lot better.  He didn't become a tyrant.  He didn't become a warlord. He didn't use disorder to do what he wanted.  At every turn, he tried to establish a little normalcy for his group. The farm. The prison.  

He never forgot he was still a policeman. And his breakdowns were a result of taking on the load for everyone else.  

People like aggression and decisiveness but like the Governor.  He was like the dude from Postman. A small, insignificant man who capitalized on disorder. Like these Militia wannabes who call themselves colonel.  

He knows how to fight but really tries to avoid it.  All these people who have these enclaves tend to be raiders or tyrants.

If someone were to rebuild a world...I'd rather it be someone who didn't forget what society was.

I dunno...I was just thinking about that
View Quote

my problem with rick (who i like as a character) is that he shows a severe lack of steadiness.  part of the greatness of the first 2 seasons was his dynamic with shane.  both of them were unstable, but together they made each other more stable.  as such, the two of them made up one good leader (at least for a while).  recently, however, he has been all over the map, which is the worst leadership flaw.  and to make it even worse, he's not introspective about it.  this pops up early when he literally begs to be allowed on the farm ("you can't send us back out there!!!"), but then abjectly refuses to allow anyone else into the prison ("we only take care of our own").  

basically, he's a guy that cannot be relied upon, which is the very worst kind of guy to be leading a group.  his moral compass swings wildly, so he's not a good priest.  he's terribly indecisive and completely reactive, so he's not a good commander.  and he's prone to breaking down and freezing up, so he's not a good leader.  at this point, his only value to the group is occasionally as a hired gun.  

both darryl and glenn are people who can be counted on when the chips are down.  rick can't be.  and that's a leader who i wouldn't follow.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 3:55:12 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Holy shit!!! This is going to be the best season ever!!!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By sirensong:

my problem with rick (who i like as a character) is that he shows a severe lack of steadiness.  part of the greatness of the first 2 seasons was his dynamic with shane.  both of them were unstable, but together they made each other more stable.  as such, the two of them made up one good leader (at least for a while).  recently, however, he has been all over the map, which is the worst leadership flaw.  and to make it even worse, he's not introspective about it.  this pops up early when he literally begs to be allowed on the farm ("you can't send us back out there!!!"), but then abjectly refuses to allow anyone else into the prison ("we only take care of our own").  

basically, he's a guy that cannot be relied upon, which is the very worst kind of guy to be leading a group.  his moral compass swings wildly, so he's not a good priest.  he's terribly indecisive and completely reactive, so he's not a good commander.  and he's prone to breaking down and freezing up, so he's not a good leader.  at this point, his only value to the group is occasionally as a hired gun.  

both darryl and glenn are people who can be counted on when the chips are down.  rick can't be.  and that's a leader who i wouldn't follow.
View All Quotes
I was watching a few episodes on my tablet today. Like the earlier ones up til more recent.   Everyone busts on Rick for being pusillanimous at times. Or whatever. And wants to side with the Army guy or Shane.  And to an extent, I used to agree.  But...he's actually handled the end of the world a lot better.  He didn't become a tyrant.  He didn't become a warlord. He didn't use disorder to do what he wanted.  At every turn, he tried to establish a little normalcy for his group. The farm. The prison.  

He never forgot he was still a policeman. And his breakdowns were a result of taking on the load for everyone else.  
People like aggression and decisiveness but like the Governor.  He was like the dude from Postman. A small, insignificant man who capitalized on disorder. Like these Militia wannabes who call themselves colonel.  

He knows how to fight but really tries to avoid it.  All these people who have these enclaves tend to be raiders or tyrants.
If someone were to rebuild a world...I'd rather it be someone who didn't forget what society was.

Thing is, they've never had to take the leadership role, as in the leader of the whole group. At times they had to make some decisions, but not in the ongoing manner that Rick has had to. At least that's my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:18:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By WyattEarp:
Thing is, they've never had to take the leadership role, as in the leader of the whole group. At times they had to make some decisions, but not in the ongoing manner that Rick has had to. At least that's my opinion.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WyattEarp:

Originally Posted By Discolite:...

i'll buy that.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I'll nominate all of the events that transpired in the season 4 episode called "The Grove" as the winner of my "All Time Greatest and/or Most Shocking Walking Dead WTF Moment Ever." That episode made me go and and when i saw it happen.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:38:26 PM EDT
[#31]

The RIGHT line.  Also, Han shot first.

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#32]
2 more months
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:22:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Episode 14, The Grove, was the best ever show in the series for me.
Well done, and the ending snucked the hell up on me.
Carol has changed and adapted more in the show than anybody, cept
maybe Daryl. The should make babies to repopulate America.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

Just needed to point out that Glenn froze in the bar in Nebraska. Rick and the Python laid down the law.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By recoiljunky:
Just needed to point out that Glenn froze in the bar in Nebraska. Rick and the Python laid down the law.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By recoiljunky:

at this point, his only value to the group is occasionally as a hired gun.   both darryl and glenn are people who can be counted on when the chips are down.  rick can't be.  and that's a leader who i wouldn't follow.

that's a good point, but that's the one area where rick is expected to do well.  he did great when originally faced with the remaining inmates at the prison, also.  but his LEO experience had prepared him for exactly that kind of situation--IMO most civilians would have been hesitant there.  he also made the right call about caching the guns before going into terminus.  in all 3 cases, however, he didn't bring anything to the table that shane wouldn't have.

i think some of it is a storytelling problem on the part of the writers.  originally, rick was positioned in the middle between shane (survival drive) and dale (moral compass).  that's right where a leader should be.  but his character is kind of wandering around the map, so to speak, and so his calls are almost always questionable.  that's fine from a series perspective, but his character is written so inconsistently that we don't get a good feeling for why he is so personally inconsistent.

basically, he has no discernable code.  and that's bad stuff for a leader.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 9:47:17 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

tag for home
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

Yeah, I agree.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:25:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shocktrp] [#39]
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:24:36 AM EDT
[#40]
1 month to go!
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:47:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Was watching The Water Boy last night for the first time in about 10 years and noticed  Bob was in it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Patiently waiting till next month
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:15:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Little over 3 weeks until the season premiere.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:44:09 PM EDT
[#44]
little less time than the last post indicated.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:42:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Can anyone identify the AK in the latest trailer?  

http://youtu.be/DIpXe7VRVSU

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:05:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Can anyone identify the AK in the latest trailer?  

http://youtu.be/DIpXe7VRVSU

View Quote

Haven't got a clue, but the teaser looked pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:01:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#49]
When does the new season start?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Buckshot556:
When does the new season start?
View Quote

October 12th.
Page / 171
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top