BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 5:14:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well you are the one that brought up China. You are the one that brought up Hawaii and Maine. In any event, civil judgments in federal court are often domesticated in state court because of broader state remedies, e.g. creation of lien on real estate, etc.
View Quote

I'm simply talking about the locations of people to emphasize the distance.  You couldn't get that from the earlier conversation?
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I'm simply talking about the locations of people to emphasize the distance.  You couldn't get that from the earlier conversation?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well you are the one that brought up China. You are the one that brought up Hawaii and Maine. In any event, civil judgments in federal court are often domesticated in state court because of broader state remedies, e.g. creation of lien on real estate, etc.

I guess I'm the dumbass.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I guess I'm the dumbass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I guess I'm the dumbass.

I wouldn't say that.  You probably have way more experience than I do.

The issue of personal jurisdiction in the United States is based upon due process considerations and gets somewhat complicated in intentional tort areas.

This is more what I was getting at, which you said earlier.

Personal jurisdiction in internet cases is a mess right now and I think it will be for some time until we get teleporters or some sort of internet court (I once saw a hearing done over a video conference).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_jurisdiction_in_Internet_cases_in_the_United_States

Personal jurisdiction in American civil procedure law is premised on the notion that a defendant should not be subject to the decisions of a foreign or out of state court, without having “purposely availed” himself of the benefits that the forum state has to offer. Generally, the doctrine is grounded on two main principles: courts should protect defendants from the undue burden of facing litigation in an unlimited number of possibly remote jurisdictions (in line with the due process requirements of the Constitution), and courts should prevent states from infringing on the sovereignty of other states by limiting the circumstances under which defendants can be "haled" into court.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 10:18:14 AM EDT
[#4]
bump
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Dumb AND Blind!!   I'm a 12'er

Oh...  and I read your posts.  Unintelligible at best.  Maybe you should stick to commenting on topics having to do with dating, or food, or dinner pics.  They seem more your speed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So you say.   Just what do you base that on?   State your facts.

Read my posts in this thread 13er.

Oh...  and I read your posts.  Unintelligible at best.  Maybe you should stick to commenting on topics having to do with dating, or food, or dinner pics.  They seem more your speed.

You December 12ers are just early 13ers. Get used to it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 10:36:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So you say.   Just what do you base that on?   State your facts.

Read my posts in this thread 13er.

Yep, December '12 is the ultimate 13er.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 9:27:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Bumpity-bump.  Any updates?
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 11:13:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Bumpity-bump.  Any updates?
View Quote

Last filing was 11/26

https://ia601000.us.archive.org/2/items/gov.uscourts.azd.802927/gov.uscourts.azd.802927.docket.html
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh are we still giving fucks about this? Does someone have one I can borrow?
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Opening up a thread, reading the new replies, hitting reply, and typing out response = Ironic post.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 12:03:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Opening up a thread, reading the new replies, hitting reply, and typing out response = Ironic post.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He cares so little that he replied to it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's like caring so little about an ex-girlfriend that you need to drive by her house late at night to let her know you don't care.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's like caring so little about an ex-girlfriend that you need to drive by her house late at night to let her know you don't care.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd say that about covers it...
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 7:51:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stalker caring...
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 1:18:37 PM EDT
[#15]
It's in the hands of the judge gentlemen. All filings have been made that could be produced prior to the judge ruling on issues concerning personal jurisdiction and/or relevancy of the Lanham Act.

The judge will either ask my lawyer to travel to AZ for oral arguments, dismiss the case, invoke sanctions, or we'll proceed to discovery and deposition. Been 6-7 weeks since the final document was filed as referenced earlier. Kind of open ended at the moment. I will update the thread once I hear anything from the judge. I could hear something anytime now or it could be a year. There is no way to be certain.

I am no lawyer, nor have I ever been through this process before, but this is how I understand where the complaint is at this time. Have a good one fellas.
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 2:13:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's in the hands of the judge gentlemen. All filings have been made that could be produced prior to the judge ruling on issues concerning personal jurisdiction and/or relevancy of the Lanham Act.

The judge will either ask my lawyer to travel to AZ for oral arguments, dismiss the case, invoke sanctions, or we'll proceed to discovery and deposition. Been 6-7 weeks since the final document was filed as referenced earlier. Kind of open ended at the moment. I will update the thread once I hear anything from the judge. I could hear something anytime now or it could be a year. There is no way to be certain.

I am no lawyer, nor have I ever been through this process before, but this is how I understand where the complaint is at this time. Have a good one fellas.
View Quote

I am almost a lawyer and your understanding is correct.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I take it discovery and deposition is the best outcome at this point or is sanctions a more positive direction?
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I take it discovery and deposition is the best outcome at this point or is sanctions a more positive direction?
View Quote

For SEI, discovery and deposition would be good

For OP, dismissal would be good

Sanctions are a bonus
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You ought to have your head examined for going to law school in this era.
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

uh... buy low, sell high?

Link Posted: 1/16/2014 3:35:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're not alone.

Link Posted: 1/16/2014 4:22:53 PM EDT
[#22]
lulz

Is this an indication that SEI doesn't think through most things?
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 9:17:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
lulz

https://imageshack.us/a/img541/3663/cf2r.jpg

View Quote

Ho Lee Chit    Did you photoshop that?  Do you know what that is?  It's the Death Skull of the SS.  

Description
English: Cap badge of the "SS-Totenkopf", second version used from 1934 to 1945.

Link Posted: 1/16/2014 9:20:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You're not alone.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're not alone.

Nope. Not alone at all.

Quoted:
Quoted:
lulz

Ho Lee Chit    Did you photoshop that?  Do you know what that is?  It's the Death Skull of the SS.  

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/aa/SS_Totenkopf.jpg/262px-SS_Totenkopf.jpg

Description
English: Cap badge of the "SS-Totenkopf", second version used from 1934 to 1945.

That's totally real and it's been discussed in a couple of threads. They're idiots.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 9:23:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/aa/SS_Totenkopf.jpg/262px-SS_Totenkopf.jpg

Description

View Quote

Yep.  It's real and we know:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1581122_The_new_SEI_Smith_Enterprises_logo.html&page=1
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
lulz

View Quote

lol.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 10:40:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

She still loves me Frank. I can see it in her eyes when I watch her skype her husband. Those three kids are just a futile attempt to forget our love.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 6:15:20 AM EDT
[#28]
They gonna wear their new shirts to court?
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 6:37:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

OP is praying for a Jewish judge.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 7:24:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Between both parties, and the judge, there's a like 500% chance of one of the lawyers being Jewish
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 8:40:08 AM EDT
[#31]
From DOCKET:
29 Mar. 06, 2014  ORDER that Defendant's Motion to Dismiss (Doc. 16 ) is granted. FURTHER ORDERED that Defendant's Motion for Sanctions (Doc. 24 ) is denied. IT IS FURTHER ORDERED directing the Clerk of Court to terminate this action and enter judgment accordingly. Signed by Judge G Murray Snow on 3/6/2014.(KMG) (Entered: 03/06/2014)

30 Mar. 06, 2014 CLERK'S JUDGMENT - IT IS ORDERED AND ADJUDGED by way of this Court, having granted Defendant's Motion to Dismiss, this action is dismissed in its entirety. Plaintiff shall take nothing. (KMG) (Entered: 03/06/2014)
View Quote

MTD granted

Sanctions denied.

ETA:  

a portion of Order discussing jurisdiction:
Here, Hammonds made a statement on the message board that SEI was
experiencing manufacturing problems. This comment was made to fellow customers as
part of a conversation in which customers expressed frustration to each other over the
delay in receiving the products they had ordered from SEI. Hammonds made a statement
suggesting a reason for this delay. After Hammonds was informed this statement was
false, Hammonds posted that his source had been “merely brainstorming” and that the
statement was “just the normal rumor mill.” (Doc. 1-1 at 8.) At the time of his statements,
Hammonds had placed orders and deposits for SEI products and was waiting for those
products to arrive. Hammonds’ comments themselves do not suggest, and SEI has not
sufficiently alleged, that Hammonds made his comments in order to harm SEI. Instead, it
appears that Hammonds was expressing his own frustration over the delay in receiving
his SEI products.

After SEI contacted Hammonds, he wrote a subsequent post admitting the initial
post was “merely conjecture” and also noting it was “time to nudge [SEI] and force an
explanation [for the delay].” (Doc. 1-1 at 13.) Here, Hammonds’ statement seems aimed
at SEI, but is merely a statement admitting his initial statement was solely based on
conjecture. Assuming that this statement qualifies as one expressly aimed at SEI in
Arizona, it nonetheless fails under the third prong of the Calder test as SEI does not
allege it experienced any harm because of this statement qualifying Hammonds’ earlier
statement. If anything, this later statement seems to help undo any possible harm caused
by that earlier statement. Plaintiff therefore fails to establish facts that suggest
Hammonds purposefully directed his actions at Arizona under Calder. Because Plaintiff
fails to establish this first prong of the specific personal jurisdiction inquiry, the Court
need not address the other two prongs, but nevertheless finds that, under the
circumstances as alleged by SEI, the exercise of Hammonds would not be reasonable,
and thus finds that SEI has not established personal jurisdiction in this case.
View Quote

portion of Order discussing sanctions:
While the Court finds that these arguments are not without merit, and even
viewing the facts alleged by Plaintiff in the light most favorable to it, this suit appears to
be an extremely disproportionate response to the actions of the Defendant, they do not
reach the level necessary to impose the “extraordinary remedy” of Rule 11 sanctions.

Here, it seems quite clear that Hammonds is not a competitor of SEI
because he does not manufacture M14 receivers, but it does appear that Hammonds has at
least occasionally sold M14 rifles that he has assembled from component parts, and thus
the claims based on the contention that he is a competitor of SEI are not plainly frivolous
for purposes of Rule 11.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 8:59:47 AM EDT
[#32]
NICE!

Wait.. does "Motion for Sanctions" denied mean that he won't be getting attorney's fees?
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 9:10:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Snip...

View Quote

This is a dismissal without prejudiced based solely on the lack of personal jurisdiction.  SEI can re-refile this lawsuit in Georgia.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 9:14:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This is a dismissal without prejudiced based solely on the lack of personal jurisdiction.  SEI can re-refile this lawsuit in Georgia.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snip...

Do you think they will?
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 9:21:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Do you think they will?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snip...

Do you think they will?

I wouldn't if I were them.  It's one thing to ask a potential jury in your home state to cut you a break on your case, but going into the defendant's home state to ask a jury there to punish a local guy is likely chasing good dollars after bad.  Of course if their intent is just to bury him in legal fees they will probably just file suit there.

I also read the federal judge's statements in denying the Motion for Sanctions as a clear suggestion to SEI to ditch its Lanham Act claim although not binding on another Court.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm happy it worked out for you OP! I've been intermittently tracking the progress of the case and I think the dismissal was the correct outcome. It appears that the only thing that SEI has accomplished in this case is to earn a whole lot of well-deserved negative publicity. After seeing the way they treated you, regardless of the quality level of their products, I would never purchase anything they made. I know I am not the only one who feels that way after reading about what they tried to do to you over a statement on a message board

I know SEI will be reading this thread, so I'd like to add a message just for them:

Your decision to sue Mr. Hammonds was entirely tasteless in my opinion. I sincerely hope that your future sales are negatively affected by your poor decisions in this matter and in others. Using an "SS" symbol as your company logo is perhaps the only thing you could have done to further lower the public opinion of your company after filing a civil suit against your own customer. Nazis aren't cool and no one thinks it's funny, except you apparently.

Stay Get classy, SEI
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 10:10:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Using an "SS" symbol as your company logo is perhaps the only thing you could have done to further lower the public opinion of your company after filing a civil suit against your own customer. Nazis aren't cool and no one thinks it's funny, except you apparently.
View Quote

While I strongly support a business' legal ability to pursue redress, that issue right there makes me not give a damn about any legitimate grievances SEI may have.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 3:45:20 PM EDT
[#39]
This is going to leave a stink on SEI for a long time.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#41]

Hey come on man, they're just taking it back!

Link Posted: 3/9/2014 6:44:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Ein Reich, ein Volk, ein SEI?
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 9:12:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

MTD granted

Sanctions denied.

ETA:  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
From DOCKET:
29 Mar. 06, 2014  ORDER that Defendant's Motion to Dismiss (Doc. 16 ) is granted. FURTHER ORDERED that Defendant's Motion for Sanctions (Doc. 24 ) is denied. IT IS FURTHER ORDERED directing the Clerk of Court to terminate this action and enter judgment accordingly. Signed by Judge G Murray Snow on 3/6/2014.(KMG) (Entered: 03/06/2014)

30 Mar. 06, 2014 CLERK'S JUDGMENT - IT IS ORDERED AND ADJUDGED by way of this Court, having granted Defendant's Motion to Dismiss, this action is dismissed in its entirety. Plaintiff shall take nothing. (KMG) (Entered: 03/06/2014)

MTD granted

Sanctions denied.

ETA:  

a portion of Order discussing jurisdiction:
Here, Hammonds made a statement on the message board that SEI was
experiencing manufacturing problems. This comment was made to fellow customers as
part of a conversation in which customers expressed frustration to each other over the
delay in receiving the products they had ordered from SEI. Hammonds made a statement
suggesting a reason for this delay. After Hammonds was informed this statement was
false, Hammonds posted that his source had been “merely brainstorming” and that the
statement was “just the normal rumor mill.” (Doc. 1-1 at 8.) At the time of his statements,
Hammonds had placed orders and deposits for SEI products and was waiting for those
products to arrive. Hammonds’ comments themselves do not suggest, and SEI has not
sufficiently alleged, that Hammonds made his comments in order to harm SEI. Instead, it
appears that Hammonds was expressing his own frustration over the delay in receiving
his SEI products.

After SEI contacted Hammonds, he wrote a subsequent post admitting the initial
post was “merely conjecture” and also noting it was “time to nudge [SEI] and force an
explanation [for the delay].” (Doc. 1-1 at 13.) Here, Hammonds’ statement seems aimed
at SEI, but is merely a statement admitting his initial statement was solely based on
conjecture. Assuming that this statement qualifies as one expressly aimed at SEI in
Arizona, it nonetheless fails under the third prong of the Calder test as SEI does not
allege it experienced any harm because of this statement qualifying Hammonds’ earlier
statement. If anything, this later statement seems to help undo any possible harm caused
by that earlier statement. Plaintiff therefore fails to establish facts that suggest
Hammonds purposefully directed his actions at Arizona under Calder. Because Plaintiff
fails to establish this first prong of the specific personal jurisdiction inquiry, the Court
need not address the other two prongs, but nevertheless finds that, under the
circumstances as alleged by SEI, the exercise of Hammonds would not be reasonable,
and thus finds that SEI has not established personal jurisdiction in this case.

portion of Order discussing sanctions:
While the Court finds that these arguments are not without merit, and even
viewing the facts alleged by Plaintiff in the light most favorable to it, this suit appears to
be an extremely disproportionate response to the actions of the Defendant, they do not
reach the level necessary to impose the “extraordinary remedy” of Rule 11 sanctions.

Here, it seems quite clear that Hammonds is not a competitor of SEI
because he does not manufacture M14 receivers, but it does appear that Hammonds has at
least occasionally sold M14 rifles that he has assembled from component parts, and thus
the claims based on the contention that he is a competitor of SEI are not plainly frivolous
for purposes of Rule 11.

Hahahahahahaha....

SEI must be crying into a stack of Totenkopf t-shirts
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 12:51:43 PM EDT
[#44]
As related earlier the motion to dismiss was granted. Sanctions denied, but I realize they are a stretch in most cases.

I'm elated that the case was dismissed. Not necessarily over as Ron can sue me in GA as expressed earlier by FrankDrebin. I'm prepared and on my home turf. I am hoping to avoid any further litigation, but not much I can do at this point other than take the high road and bow out with humility making no attempts to inflame the situation.  

My counsel, Dan DeSouza, has performed a dear service to me and my family. I would not have been able to mount as credible a defense without his skill and generosity. Dan is a true friend and one of us at the M14TFL where this all started. He approached me about wanting to help. His filings were concise, succinct and well-written. Dan provided constant advice and mental support. Thanks Dan for everything.

I would also like to thank my supporters and those contributing to my defense fund. This was a tough situation and acutely stressful in the very beginning. You helped keep my head on straight allowing me to continue with career and family duties. Thanks and please understand I am not out of the woods yet. Please keep my family in your prayers.

To all those commenting, whether positive or negative, thank you for voicing opinions and maintaining presence of this complaint. My only substantial resource is public opinion and the vast majority of individuals saw through the smoke and mirrors. Many took the opportunity to assault my character and theorize my reasoning  and motivations. I can assure you it was not callous nor deliberate as many have suggested. I don't hold grudges and its nothing as far as I'm concerned. It's the past and that's where I'll leave it.

I will update those interested via this thread or start a new one if novel activity within GA courts is begun. Again thanks for your attention, input and advice. Much obliged everyone.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
As related earlier the motion to dismiss was granted. Sanctions denied, but I realize they are a stretch in most cases.

I'm elated that the case was dismissed. Not necessarily over as Ron can sue me in GA as expressed earlier by FrankDrebin. I'm prepared and on my home turf. I am hoping to avoid any further litigation, but not much I can do at this point other than take the high road and bow out with humility making no attempts to inflame the situation.  

My counsel, Dan DeSouza, has performed a dear service to me and my family. I would not have been able to mount as credible a defense without his skill and generosity. Dan is a true friend and one of us at the M14TFL where this all started. He approached me about wanting to help. His filings were concise, succinct and well-written. Dan provided constant advice and mental support. Thanks Dan for everything.

I would also like to thank my supporters and those contributing to my defense fund. This was a tough situation and acutely stressful in the very beginning. You helped keep my head on straight allowing me to continue with career and family duties. Thanks and please understand I am not out of the woods yet. Please keep my family in your prayers.

To all those commenting, whether positive or negative, thank you for voicing opinions and maintaining presence of this complaint. My only substantial resource is public opinion and the vast majority of individuals saw through the smoke and mirrors. Many took the opportunity to assault my character and theorize my reasoning  and motivations. I can assure you it was not callous nor deliberate as many have suggested. I don't hold grudges and its nothing as far as I'm concerned. It's the past and that's where I'll leave it.

I will update those interested via this thread or start a new one if novel activity within GA courts is begun. Again thanks for your attention, input and advice. Much obliged everyone.
View Quote

Good luck.  My feelings for SEI are far less charitable than when this thread began.  If they were smart they'd let this go.  
Page / 15
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top