BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They're really taking this in loco parentis bullshit seriously.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Even when I was in school I thought that was a bunch of crap.

Quoted:

I guess you're one of those troglodytes who thinks he owns his child.

http://youtu.be/hAAMGatMHss

Why is she still gainfully employed?
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Wait... suspended for something harmless that happened OFF school grounds? Lawyer time
View Quote

Without reading the article, it is probable that they may be attempting to base their action off 1 of 2 possibilities-
1. that the school bus stop was a school function, albeit off grounds, causing school jurisdiction for his possession/ use of the implement
OR
2. That even if he did not necessarily possess or use the implement on school grounds, or at a school function, that his possession and/or use of the weapon adjacent to the school function caused a serious disruption to the educational process.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:40:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I wonder if the school isn't the problem.
Number of accredited HR schools drops

HAMPTON ROADS, Va. (WAVY) - The Virginia Department of Education released this year’s accreditation ratings for Virginia public schools Friday. While most schools across the state received full accreditation – 77 percent – the number has dropped significantly from last year – 93 percent.

Schools within the seven cities of Hampton Roads were no exception to that statewide drop . Out of the 277 schools in the area, only 175 were fully accredited. Last year only 36 schools missed accreditation, this year 102 schools failed to meet accreditation benchmarks.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Without reading the article, it is probable that they may be attempting to base their action off 1 of 2 possibilities-
1. that the school bus stop was a school function, albeit off grounds, causing school jurisdiction for his possession/ use of the implement
OR
2. That even if he did not necessarily possess or use the implement on school grounds, or at a school function, that his possession and/or use of the weapon adjacent to the school function caused a serious disruption to the educational process.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait... suspended for something harmless that happened OFF school grounds? Lawyer time

OR

Virginia Beach School Board claims authority over all students once they walk out the front door unless the parent is driving them to school.

http://www.vbschools.com/policies/5-1_p.asp

Extent of School Authority

A.  Generally

Virginia law gives the school board the power to make reasonable rules for the government of the schools and to regulate the conduct of students going to and returning from school.

B.  Board and Parental Responsibility

The distinction between the responsibility that the school division has for students and the responsibility that parents have for their children is difficult to define in other situations occurring off school property. These are situations in which students are not on school grounds and are not engaged in any school-sponsored activity, but they are either traveling to or from school or school-sponsored activities or they are maintaining the appearance of being a student of the division's schools.

The following guidelines shall apply:

1.  Students shall be under the jurisdiction of the rules and regulations governing school activities while in transit to and from school as a pedestrian in route to the bus or at the bus stop and while riding on a school bus.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:47:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was in grade school in the sixites.  We couldn't take toy guns to school then , either.  This was in a blue collar river town, not some liberal mecca.
View Quote

I was in high school  in the 90's.  Most of the make students arrived at school with hunting rifles openly displayed in their trucks gun rack.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's questionable whether she was ever 'gainfully' employed.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 11:59:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Virginia Beach School Board claims authority over all students once they walk out the front door unless the parent is driving them to school.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OR

A.  Generally

Virginia law gives the school board the power to make reasonable rules for the government of the schools and to regulate the conduct of students going to and returning from school.

The distinction between the responsibility that the school division has for students and the responsibility that parents have for their children is difficult to define in other situations occurring off school property. These are situations in which students are not on school grounds and are not engaged in any school-sponsored activity, but they are either traveling to or from school or school-sponsored activities or they are maintaining the appearance of being a student of the division's schools.

1.  Students shall be under the jurisdiction of the rules and regulations governing school activities while in transit to and from school as a pedestrian in route to the bus or at the bus stop and while riding on a school bus.

That's much more broad than the authority that districts in Connecticut (that I am familiar with)  tend to claim- though it makes sense. Last year, there were incidents were I was working where such authority would have been welcome. In reading that guideline, however, it is important to read in the school nexus- i.e. that the authority is claimed when the student is enroute to, or leaving from, the school or a school activity.

If Hampton Roads is claiming similar authority to Virginia Beach, and is relying on similar authority with regards to this incident, what the actual applicability of that policy would have been specifically in consideration of the fact that he (may have been) been within the curtilage of his residence (home)- which one can attempt to argue that he had not actually left yet for the school bus stop, which is a distinguishable different location from the bus stop- guarded by the exclusivity of private residential property controlled by the students guardian. (It's a nice argument to mentally masturbate to- I'm sure that they would claim that at that time his presence on the curtilage, as opposed to within the residence proper, was resultant to his effort to attend school.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Reason #8,787 why I send my kids to private school.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 12:02:22 PM EDT
[#9]
In 1982 I did a How-to speech assignment in class on how to clean a 12 gauge double barrel shotgun. I took it to school, broke it down and went through the whole deal.

In retrospect I have no clue if I told my folks I was doing it. Never entered my mind as an issue. That said, I was a complete dumb ass at 16
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I grew up in SE OK in the 70's and 80's. we took rifles and shotguns to go hunting after school. we checked them in at the principles office.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was in grade school in the sixites.  We couldn't take toy guns to school then , either.  This was in a blue collar river town, not some liberal mecca.

I grew up in SE OK in the 70's and 80's. we took rifles and shotguns to go hunting after school. we checked them in at the principles office.

We just left ours in the car in the student parking lot. I'd say at least 20% of the students cars had guns in them on any given day.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your town sucked BIG ONES.

I graduated in '75.  We had rifles and shotguns in the back window racks of our trucks.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 12:10:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's much more broad than the authority that districts in Connecticut (that I am familiar with)  tend to claim- though it makes sense. Last year, there were incidents were I was working where such authority would have been welcome. In reading that guideline, however, it is important to read in the school nexus- i.e. that the authority is claimed when the student is enroute to, or leaving from, the school or a school activity.

If Hampton Roads is claiming similar authority to Virginia Beach, and is relying on similar authority with regards to this incident, what the actual applicability of that policy would have been specifically in consideration of the fact that he (may have been) been within the curtilage of his residence (home)- which one can attempt to argue that he had not actually left yet for the school bus stop, which is a distinguishable different location from the bus stop- guarded by the exclusivity of private residential property controlled by the students guardian. (It's a nice argument to mentally masturbate to- I'm sure that they would claim that at that time his presence on the curtilage, as opposed to within the residence proper, was resultant to his effort to attend school.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OR

A.  Generally

Hampton Roads is the region. Virginia Beach is the school district where this happened.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
"Zero Tolerance" is a lazy brain dead way to run anything
View Quote

fify
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#14]
If he would have asked how to properly bugger his Life Partner(TM) they would have been just fine with that I bet.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OR

A.  Generally

They can write whatever rules they want, and claim whatever authority they want to justify them. Whether the rules will stand depends on whether enough parents will stand up against them, or whether a court says otherwise.

The point here, and I do understand it, is for a school to be able to protect its students while going to and from school. As a parent, if my kid were walking to school or was at the bus stop and was being harassed by another student, I'd want the school to be able to deal with it... appropriately.

However, zero tolerance policies are never appropriate. They are a crutch for the weak and simple-minded, or a tool for the devious. In neither case do they serve the people at large or the groups they claim to protect (hey, just like a lot of other liberal policies).

In this case, do note that the students in question shot other students with their airsoft guns. Not each other. Again, I don't condone zero tolerance policies, nor expulsion for such a relatively minor infraction, but I can see why they'd get in trouble for doing that at a bus stop.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#16]
@Macrage-
Thanks for clarifying that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 12:26:04 PM EDT
[#17]
And the left wonders why people are running from public schools
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 12:27:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Home schooling FTMFW!!!!!!

Of course that can't always happen with both parents working.

Blan B should be private school.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
In 1982 I did a How-to speech assignment in class on how to clean a 12 gauge double barrel shotgun. I took it to school, broke it down and went through the whole deal.

In retrospect I have no clue if I told my folks I was doing it. Never entered my mind as an issue. That said, I was a complete dumb ass at 16
View Quote

That same year OKLAHOMA was our schools musical. I used my dads .357 revolver and police belt as props since I was the sheriff.  I think everybody had a sidearm. Nobody cared.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 12:31:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yes, this shit has gotten beyond absurd. If this keeps up, eventually children who have gun owning parents will be barred from public schools.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, this shit has gotten beyond absurd. If this keeps up, eventually children who have gun owning parents will be barred from public schools.

this would be a good thing.....

turn your back on everything government subsidized that you can, man up, pony up and go private, schools, doctors and whatever you can.

i dont mean to say stop paying taxes and so forth, which would just get you in trouble, i mean to finally realize that if you want freedom and independence (the amount that you can get anyway) you gotta pay for it, turn your back on what you cant change and just walk away and leave the bottom of the barrel to the rats and other swine that are willing to live amongst the garbage.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 12:31:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is coming, for sure. Gun owners will = filthy subhuman killers by the time this regime (with MSM fanning the flames) is finished. Pure Alinsky, the isolate your enemies. Well, this will be a brute contest. Colorado showed our teeth. What comes next is a guess, but Obama and team will sink to new lows in their Nazi-like demonization of gun owners. They will whipsaw the new laws between mental health crackdowns and firearms restrictions. Obamacare will be one tool in their matrix for identifying likely enemies and screwing them from all angles. PTSD meds there, soldier? No guns for you. A hundred new tricks like that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

You reminded me of why locals called Virginia a "communist-wealth" ... cos of bullshit like that.

Link Posted: 9/23/2013 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

In the late 80's I took a non-functional Remington rolling block to elementary school for show and tell. Stood in the pickup line after school with it over my shoulder proud as I could be. This was at Indian Creek a private school in Annapolis MD. How things have changed, and not for the better.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 1:04:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thats pretty obvious
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't watch it but if it happened "at the bus stop" they treat them as school property, not that it can't be fought.

Thats pretty obvious

our bus stop is at my driveway, how would they handle that?
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Virginia huh......
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got in trouble in school while living in Virginia Beach. It appears that the school thinks they are responsible for you from the moment you step out of the front door until the moment you step back into your house. That includes the bus stop.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 1:24:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Home school.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Iowa is the liberal Mecca of the Central Plains

I went to grade school in the late 80's, early 90's.  I remember in kindergarten, dressing up in full desert camo and bringing to class my desert camo toy M9 and grenades.  

Also, brought an assortment of pocket knives to school for show and tell.  Along with goose and duck feet that I chopped off myself
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 1:43:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/23/2013 1:48:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Homeschooling is looking better now eh?

What our homeschooling co-op does for fun
<a href="http://s207.photobucket.com/user/mdar15manager/media/Personal/IMG_9610.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb277/mdar15manager/Personal/IMG_9610.jpg</a>
View Quote

LOL at the Aimpoint on a NERF blaster
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I went to grade school in the late 80's, early 90's.  I remember in kindergarten, dressing up in full desert camo and bringing to class my desert camo toy M9 and grenades.  

Also, brought an assortment of pocket knives to school for show and tell.  Along with goose and duck feet that I chopped off myself
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did my 8th grade science project on the operating system and kinetic action of the 1911. I'd love to see a kid show up with that today, he'd be in a straitjacket by lunchtime.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#32]
More details
WashingtonTimes:7th-grader suspended for using airsoft gun in own front yard
A concerned neighbor called 911 to report the incident.

“He is pointing the gun, and it looks like there’s a target in a tree in his front yard,” she told the dispatcher. “This is not a real one, but it makes people uncomfortable. I know that it makes me [uncomfortable], as a mom, to see a boy pointing a gun.”

Ironically, the caller’s son was playing with Khalid and Aidan in the Caraballo front yard.
..snip...

Larkspur Middle School principal Matthew Delaney issued a statement that the “children were firing pellet guns at each other, and at people near the bus stop,” adding that one child “was only 10 feet from the bus stop, and ran from the shots being fired, but was still hit.”
View Quote
More at link.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Link Posted: 9/23/2013 2:04:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
WAVY: Boys suspended for airsoft guns in yard
"VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) - Monday, a suspended seventh grade Virginia Beach student will find out if he is expelled for the rest of the year for shooting an airsoft gun.

Like thousands of others in Hampton Roads, Khalid Caraballo plays with airsoft guns. Caraballo and his friend Aidan were suspended because they shot two other friends who were with them while playing with the guns as they waited for the bus to come.

WAVY News’ Andy Fox spoke with Khalid and asked if he took the gun to the bus stop or school. Khalid answered “No, sir,” to both questions."
Video at link.
ETA added video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBBTbqrZH54
View Quote

out of
moronic on the highest level and I would be bitching the hell out of the school for trying to tell my kids what they can do AT FREEKING HOME!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Anything on the way to or from school or an approved extra-curricular activity, including waiting at the bus stop, is considered "school grounds".
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 2:18:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

my daughter's private school pre-k teacher has a CHL  
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 2:19:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Anything on the way to or from school or an approved extra-curricular activity, including waiting at the bus stop, is considered "school grounds".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it wasnt any of those things.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Just seen this on local wavy 10 here in hampton roads. Damn libtards.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 2:23:05 PM EDT
[#41]
This coming from Virginia Beach is kind of shocking actually.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And forced to homeschool?  Oh, the horror.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
We just left ours in the car in the student parking lot. I'd say at least 20% of the students cars had guns in them on any given day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I was in HS in the '80s we could take our
guns to school and lock them up in the gun safe in the auto shop until
after school. No one gave students having rifles or shotguns a second thought, and no one was ever shot. We were allowed to leave them in out in our vehicles, but most of us took advantage of the gun safe in case someone decided to go on a free gun shopping spree in the parking lot. Never locked up any ammo though, it always stayed in the car because ammo was both plentiful and cheap as dirt.

Damn I miss the '80s...

Link Posted: 9/23/2013 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Land of the free.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Have no idea about US civil law. But here the school would not even be close to being able to get this legal boat to float.

First off mega damages, I wont even start on the level buit it would be a dream case here.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 2:41:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Off school grounds.  Not their lane.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 2:45:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Like the news dudes hair.
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#48]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
More details
WashingtonTimes:7th-grader suspended for using airsoft gun in own front yard
A concerned neighbor called 911 to report the incident.

“He is pointing the gun, and it looks like there’s a target in a tree in his front yard,” she told the dispatcher. “This is not a real one, but it makes people uncomfortable. I know that it makes me [uncomfortable], as a mom, to see a boy pointing a gun.”

Ironically, the caller’s son was playing with Khalid and Aidan in the Caraballo front yard.
..snip...

Larkspur Middle School principal Matthew Delaney issued a statement that the “children were firing pellet guns at each other, and at people near the bus stop,” adding that one child “was only 10 feet from the bus stop, and ran from the shots being fired, but was still hit.”
More at link.

I had a friend whose parents were like the one that called the police.  Wouldn't let my friend have or play with any (of my) toy guns.  Difference was she called/spoke to my parents about it rather than calling the cops.  I will say it made playing together a lot more boring.

On the other hand I had an arsenal of toy guns, anything from cowboys to SWAT.  My favorites were my lever action, Thompson style machine gun and a M16 for long guns and my 2 inch  revolver cap gun that looked very much like a S&W model 15.  I think they were made by a company called Marx. In elementary school I can remember my friends and I taking some of them to school, because the teacher took them away from us during class and giving them back during recess and at the end of the day.  We played based on tv shows like Adam-12, SWAT, or The Wild Wild West.  Nobody batted an eye because they knew we were just kids playing.

Link Posted: 9/23/2013 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#49]

So how did the school even get involved with this? Some busy body called 911; did she then call the school after the cops told her to jump into a lake because there is no crime?
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 3:00:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Wait...  So they weren't on school property?

What the fuck does it have to do with school then?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top