Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/20/2013 11:58:36 AM EDT
I gather that all of them have their respective roles and am curious as to when you may want to use one over the other. I know only so much about all of them.

-The MRAPs is somewhat capable of defeating modest IEDs placed at or around the vicinity of the vehicle and enabling crew to survive. It also looks somewhat armored and I curious to what extent.
It also looks plenty capable of going off road, but may be a larger vehicle making it unsuitable for scouting.

-Stryker seems like a one-size-fits-all troop carrier/LAV. I am no expert here, but am wondering how these have been holding up and to what extent they have been used. Curious about the capability of the armor it holds and how it compares to say a Bradley.

-The Good Old HMMWV.
Used to see them for the all purpose vehicle until they faired poorly against IEDs. Wondering what their role is now and when you might prefer it over the mission specified vehicles above.

Would love to hear from guys who have been in the shit.

Educate me.

ETA: You guys deliver.
please keep anything that does not violate OPSEC coming.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 12:31:18 PM EDT
[#1]
OPSEC
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 12:34:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I loved Strykers. They're quick and quiet, but lightly armored.

As for specifics, I'm not easy with doing a rundown on a random forum. I'd go with Google.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 12:36:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Im a tall guy so i would say that (some) MRAP's are better then others when it comes to not sucking being stuck in them all day/night.

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#4]
The humvee horn sounds like the Roadrunner.  "Meep meep."  

Also, the batteries are under the TC (passenger) seat.

The more you know!  
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#5]
They're heavy. They go boom.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#6]
They all seem cool until you have to actually drive them.

No idea about the Stryker, though.

The only military vehicle that I have seen live up to the hype is the MTVR.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 2:50:37 PM EDT
[#7]
The stryker failed so bad we had to buy MRAPs.

The stryker was designed for exactly the types of conflicts we had in Iraq and Afghanistan.
But no one considered the possibility of land mines for some unfathomable reason.

it was designed to be c130 transportable, which is an absolute joke for any number of reasons.

I have a lot of experience in MRAPs and HMMWVs.

MRAPs are big, but largely road bound.  their cross country mobility is very poor.  mostly due to weight (high psi so bad in mud and dirt) and very high center of gravity.  
UAHs I thought were great, good mobility, decent firepower, don't use much fuel.  they are very cramped, however.  they can't take an RPG, but neither can a slick MRAP or Stryker.
Here is my MRAP.

and my UAH

stryker fan bois will be here in a few, but what makes strykers cool isn't the vehicle itself, its the shit in it.

Its an overpriced BTR 80 at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 2:57:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The stryker failed so bad we had to buy MRAPs.

The stryker was designed for exactly the types of conflicts we had in Iraq and Afghanistan.
But no one considered the possibility of land mines for some unfathomable reason.

it was designed to be c130 transportable, which is an absolute joke for any number of reasons.

I have a lot of experience in MRAPs and HMMWVs.

MRAPs are big, but largely road bound.  their cross country mobility is very poor.  mostly due to weight (high psi so bad in mud and dirt) and very high center of gravity.  
UAHs I thought were great, good mobility, decent firepower, don't use much fuel.  they are very cramped, however.  they can't take an RPG, but neither can a slick MRAP or Stryker.
Here is my MRAP.
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=41781
and my UAH
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=38573

stryker fan bois will be here in a few, but what makes strykers cool isn't the vehicle itself, its the shit in it.

View Quote

Thats the only one I really did not like.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#9]
They all suck. Strykers suck the most, by far. MATVs suck the least, but only by a little bit.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#10]
This one was mine. It was so awesome, it made me an inch shorter.

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 3:29:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/89030a843104187a14f8d1d658b11dd2/tumblr_mtg6ge5YPX1rpefk3o1_1280.jpg
View Quote

You really didn't need all them vertebrae and discs.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/89030a843104187a14f8d1d658b11dd2/tumblr_mtg6ge5YPX1rpefk3o1_1280.jpg

Why? Does it have an ejection seat ?
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#13]
It might as well have.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 7:46:15 PM EDT
[#14]
MRAPs saved my cousins life and his crew, so it did something right.

Btw, most of the HMMWV's and MRAPs making it home, or are they getting left over there?
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#15]
The Humvee was the replacement for the jeep.  It was adapted to do things it was never conceived to do.  Eventually it got so heavily armored it didn't do anything well.

Americans restricted themselves to roads making them predictable and easy to blow up.  Eventually so many Americans got blown up Congress demanded the military do something.  The Mine Resistant Armor Protective Vehicle is designed to protect people who never get off roads from being killed when Hajji tries to blow them up with big booms.  There is no doctrine or military structure for them, and they will probably be shelved once The Obamessiah's 2014 Peace Declaration and withdrawal from Afghanistan take hold.

The Stryker was meant to transport infantry quickly about the battlefield copying the Soviet Motorized Infantry concept.  It is a very good and capable combat vehicle, except for those applications where it is specifically tied to roads where they can be deliberately targeted and blown up.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#16]
MATV is abut as good as it gets between agility, speed, armor, and ability to leave pavement

The other mraps are to fucking heavy to drive on soft or damp ground with any promise of not self miring, and their tendency to multiply any road irregularities and send them slamming into your spine and ass gets old real quick.

The uah is decent, but they are slower, tend to get stuck, and aren't as survivable.

I liked my cougar, but it was a huge heavy mother fucker. Damn near a literal up armored Winnebago. If the entire planet was paved, I would ride a cougar everywhere.
But like I said before, for normal operations, the MATV was the cats ass
I also like how many fucking radios I could run in it, so I could monitor all of those nets without haing to switch shit around.

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The Humvee was the replacement for the jeep.  It was adapted to do things it was never conceived to do.  Eventually it got so heavily armored it didn't do anything well.

Americans restricted themselves to roads making them predictable and easy to blow up.  Eventually so many Americans got blown up Congress demanded the military do something.  The Mine Resistant Armor Protective Vehicle is designed to protect people who never get off roads from being killed when Hajji tries to blow them up with big booms.  There is no doctrine or military structure for them, and they will probably be shelved once The Obamessiah's 2014 Peace Declaration and withdrawal from Afghanistan take hold.

The Stryker was meant to transport infantry quickly about the battlefield copying the Soviet Motorized Infantry concept.  It is a very good and capable combat vehicle, except for those applications where it is specifically tied to roads where they can be deliberately targeted and blown up.
View Quote

Why do you talk about Americans in the third person, comrade?
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:09:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

LMFAO...You can kill a BTR-80 with a potato cannon though...
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:09:58 PM EDT
[#20]
My truck.

My platoon.

HMMWV's suck, except for moving people around in the rear.  Strykers?, yeah.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:11:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OH.

His HEIGHT!  

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:12:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't know shit, quit acting like you do.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:21:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Btw, most of the HMMWV's and MRAPs making it home, or are they getting left over there?
View Quote

Friend of mine is over there right now with the DLA cutting them up into little tiny pieces.

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey I'm not commenting on the Stryker or any of the MRAPs, just the BTR-80.  The Russians themselves bitched about it being too easy to shoot up, and it's got less than half an inch of armor on it...

Was I wrong?
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Friend of mine is over there right now with the DLA cutting them up into little tiny pieces.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The armored HMMWV's that aren't going to be refurbed and given to the buttfucks are going to be trashed along with the used up MRAP"s that have been around a long time.  SOunds like a sweet gig cutting them up tough, shit sounds easy.  Waaay cheaper than shipping them back.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Hey I'm not commenting on the Stryker or any of the MRAPs, just the BTR-80.  The Russians themselves bitched about it being too easy to shoot up, and it's got less than half an inch of armor on it...

Was I wrong?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was I wrong?

I don't know stud, do you think a potato cannon can shoot through a half inch of steel?
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#27]
High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle
Gut less
Dogs from the get go, meant to replace the jeep
But We could drop them from C-130's  and the incoming would just pass through as long as there was not Private numb nuts in the way.
Tested them, Hated them, up armored them and it made them more of a dog.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:38:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I don't know stud, do you think a potato cannon can shoot through a half inch of steel?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was I wrong?

I don't mean a LITERAL potato cannon.  I'm saying that the armor is god damned thin that it seems like you can shoot holes in it relatively easily.  
Stuff like .50 M2HB and 14.5mm is supposed to be able to shoot it up pretty easily.

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
MRAPs saved my cousins life and his crew, so it did something right.

View Quote

The good newer ones are coming back, the old beat up ones are getting chopped up.  I think I read out of maybe 25,000 there 15,000 are coming back.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:42:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't mean a LITERAL potato cannon.  I'm saying that the armor is god damned thin that it seems like you can shoot holes in it relatively easily.  
Stuff like .50 M2HB and 14.5mm is supposed to be able to shoot it up pretty easily.

http://imageshack.us/a/img241/3729/snapshot200511140118115by.jpg
View Quote

Huh, I thought this thread was about American vehicles.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#31]
so, arfcom military, what to you would be a good design that protects well, is mobile, and doesnt try to kill you in its own right?
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Stryker fanboy here. I know at least a dozen guys whose lives were saved by being in a stryker (double stack AT mines, EFP's, RPG's). Main issues are big target and flat bottom (I think they fixed it though). Anyone who says it isnt the most comfortable vehicle is a lying sack of shit and or gay. Be unpredictable in your routes by going offroad and you negate IED threats. Easy to work on in a maintenance perspective and can carry a lot of guys. Best for urban operations most officers who talk shit on strykers never crewed one.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

so, arfcom military, what to you would be a good design that protects well, is mobile, and doesnt try to kill you in its own right?
View Quote

Everything is a compromise.

I was very happy to get my Cougar instead of a HMMWV.

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://imageshack.us/a/img241/3729/snapshot200511140118115by.jpg

It is.  I'm not commenting on any of the American vehicles.  
I'm just taking a moment to point and laugh at the Soviet "Damn the casualties, full speed ahead!" BTR-80.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:57:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dismounted infantry.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Come wing nothing wrong with the HMMWV
it's good for you it's good for me
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Dismounted infantry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dismounted infantry.

There's this place called RC-South that's been trying that for a while now... Results have been subpar.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Stay away from potholes in the max pro's and gunners make sure your ammo is secure up in the Tourette.  I don't know how many times I have seen trucks hit bumps and ammo cans pop out the Tourette some how and a belt of 7.62 ammo hanging on the side of an MRAP.  Was never .50 cal ammo I guess that was too heavy
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Stryker fanboy here. I know at least a dozen guys whose lives were saved by being in a stryker (double stack AT mines, EFP's, RPG's). Main issues are big target and flat bottom (I think they fixed it though). Anyone who says it isnt the most comfortable vehicle is a lying sack of shit and or gay. Be unpredictable in your routes by going offroad and you negate IED threats. Easy to work on in a maintenance perspective and can carry a lot of guys. Best for urban operations most officers who talk shit on strykers never crewed one.
View Quote

We can be friends.

Loved the Stryker, as my avatar can attest.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

There's this place called RC-South that's been trying that for a while now... Results have been subpar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dismounted infantry.

Tell me more about RC south.

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Apparently some of them have sun roofs

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Stay away from potholes in the max pro's and gunners make sure your ammo is secure up in the Tourette.  I don't know how many times I have seen trucks hit bumps and ammo cans pop out the Tourette some how and a belt of 7.62 ammo hanging on the side of an MRAP.  Was never .50 cal ammo I guess that was too heavy
View Quote

Uhh...  
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Anyone have input on the JLTV program? Got to look at one of the BAE prototypes and it was, to a civilian, fairly impressive. But I know nothing about what would make it a good vehicle from a real user's standpoint.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:14:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Uhh...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhh...  

SHIT! Turrets! My bad
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:19:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Wut about...
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:22:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Wut about...
http://laico.com/images/asv.jpg
View Quote

Fuck those ASV's  When I was in Mosul we left those things on the FOB.  Mechanics quit working on them and they just sat in the motor pool.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:26:30 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote

MTVR with a crew cab and some sort of v-shaped armor on the bottom.

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:35:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Fuck those ASV's  When I was in Mosul we left those things on the FOB.  Mechanics quit working on them and they just sat in the motor pool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wut about...

They have Cummings engines correct? What was the issue with them...?
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:39:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wut about...

The MPs were rocking then in Mosul while I was there, 05 time frame.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:40:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Stryker's modularity and adaptability to mission along with the effectiveness of the Styrker BCTs make them tops in my book.

You can't have everything with a vehicle. It's all give and take just like anything else.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top