Link Posted: 9/17/2013 7:01:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Costco or Sams Club????

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#3]
DO WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Contact Jack direct. They will let you even pick out the one you  buy . The distiller. Picks 3 with good flavor and you get your choice .you also get the barrel and some other stuff..

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 7:06:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Contact Jack direct. They will let you even pick out the one you  buy . The distiller. Picks 3 with good flavor and you get your choice .you also get the barrel and some other stuff..

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

A new bar in town did this, but with Jim Beam.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#6]
OP was so excited, he couldn't hold still while taking the picture.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 7:07:35 PM EDT
[#7]
You'll get a plaque in one of the rooms in the distillery with your name on it if you buy it from them. I've taken the tour about 5 times.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Talk about going on a helluva drunk!
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 7:08:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Reminds me of a story my sister inlaw told me....

During her residency one of the patients was a woman with severe liver damage. Sure sign of alcoholism, yet when the residents asked the patient about her drinking habit, she replied she had only one drink each day.

Residents were baffled and went to the doctor on duty and told him. Doctor went to see the patient with residents in tow. He asked her about her drinking, and she again said one drink a day. Doc said, "I see. Tell me more about this drink..." Turns out she had one of those 7-11 Mega-Gulp plastic cups. She would add a fifth of whiskey to the cup, some ice and water, then sip away all day.

That is how they learned the importance of asking follow up questions...
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Saw those years ago, thought they were like 5K then.  Shoulda bought a few as an investment.  Probably would have drank my investment though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 7:10:03 PM EDT
[#11]
How does the math work?
Is it a deal?
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#12]
you can do it with scotch

im pretty sure the scotch would taste better than that stuff too..
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 7:17:22 PM EDT
[#13]
This has been going on for a long time. You can go to the distillery and sample barrels and pick out the perfect one. Apparently bars do this quite often.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 7:20:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn.  Group buy?
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 7:21:42 PM EDT
[#15]
It's easier if you go in with a couple of other guys (and don't buy JD why would anyone want a barrel of JD?? )

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How does the math work?
Is it a deal?
View Quote

~53 gallon barrel so
(3785mLx53)/750mL=267ish bottlesx45bucks a bottle=
$13373.67
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 7:25:41 PM EDT
[#17]
This may end with a naked boat ride taking out a pier(or something similar).
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 7:30:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How does the math work?
Is it a deal?
View Quote

Yes.

I've got a buddy that is a distributor/salesman and it works out for a fifth of single barrel to be ridiculously cheap. I don't remember off hand what it works out to be, but, I do know that there is a lot of fifths in a barrel.

That's a shit ton of liquor to drink up.

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 7:32:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Need a arfcom group buy
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 7:35:40 PM EDT
[#20]
How much is a barrell, for some reason OP's pic I can't see.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

During her residency one of the patients was a woman with severe liver damage. Sure sign of alcoholism, yet when the residents asked the patient about her drinking habit, she replied she had only one drink each day.

Residents were baffled and went to the doctor on duty and told him. Doctor went to see the patient with residents in tow. He asked her about her drinking, and she again said one drink a day. Doc said, "I see. Tell me more about this drink..." Turns out she had one of those 7-11 Mega-Gulp plastic cups. She would add a fifth of whiskey to the cup, some ice and water, then sip away all day.

View Quote

once you get old, what difference does it make how you die?

think about it

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This has been going on for a long time. You can go to the distillery and sample barrels and pick out the perfect one. Apparently bars do this quite often.
View Quote

I thought the distillery was in a dry county, and the master distiller can't even legally taste test the whiskey in the barrels. Has to go by smell. Saw an episode on JD on How It's Made a couple weeks ago, and they were very adamant about not being able to taste test on site.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How much is a barrell, for some reason OP's pic I can't see.
View Quote

$9.60

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 9:48:13 PM EDT
[#24]
now that's doomsday prepping ......   now that's some E-85      200 bucks a gallon
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

think about it

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

think about it

Who says she was old?
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 10:15:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I thought the distillery was in a dry county, and the master distiller can't even legally taste test the whiskey in the barrels. Has to go by smell. Saw an episode on JD on How It's Made a couple weeks ago, and they were very adamant about not being able to taste test on site.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure that's a crock of shit.

While Moore County (where Lynchburg and the distillery resides) is a dry county, you can buy JD at their Visitor's Center and you've been able to do it for quite some time (since '95).

Taste-testing is not selling it, so being in a dry county wouldn't apply.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

While Moore County (where Lynchburg and the distillery resides) is a dry county, you can buy JD at their Visitor's Center and you've been able to do it for quite some time (since '95).

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are a lot of urban legends about what you legally can and can't do in Lynchberg when it comes to the distillery.  Sort of like who you can and can't shoot in the face if they happen to be standing in Texas and give you a dirty look, or fuck your wife after sunset.  

I personally think Jack Daniels helps to perpetuate some of the myths to give them a bit of mystique.  I've heard all sorts of tall tales "you can take one sip but you have to spit it on the ground and someone has to witness you spit it out."  "They drive the barrels to another part of Tennessee and taste them and then drive them back"  "They have a letter from the governor that they are allowed to drink it but only in one special room and only if there is a cop there with a video camera"

The distillers are tasting the product.  The end.

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 11:10:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I know someone who did this with his bonus one year. It came with an overnight stay in a cabin, the complete tour and he got decide how it was bottled. HRT has one of these at quantico so I hear <cough, cough>
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for the clarification on the sampling. I'll try and find a link to the Discovery channel show where they wouldn't let him taste on premises.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
DO WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 7:50:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Now, if this was Maker's or something tasty, this thread might have something going for it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Find me a barrel of the Jose Cuervo behind it and we'll talk
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
How does the math work?
Is it a deal?
View Quote

I believe a whiskey barrel is 40 gallons, which is 200 fifths.  It costs $9660, so that's $48.30 per fifth.  

IMHO, that is very expensive whiskey.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 8:14:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I believe a whiskey barrel is 40 gallons, which is 200 fifths.  It costs $9660, so that's $48.30 per fifth.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does the math work?
Is it a deal?

53 gallons in a barrel.  Some of that is lost to angel's share and the rest is diluted to bottle proof unless you're bottling a barrel proof whiskey.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top