Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 9/10/2013 4:17:17 AM EDT
Over the last week, I have had the same vehicle drive up to my house between 1:30-3:45AM. They approach slowly, and upon noticing me standing in the kitchen, pull a U turn and drive away quickly. I know this is the same vehicle, but have not gotten a chance to get a liscense plate due to darkness and glare. I see absolutely no reason for this repetitive suspicious behavior besides crime.

My home was broken into last year, and was robbed clean of every valuable. Electronics, jewelry, musical instruments, literally everything of any value. Neighbors later reported a large moving van parked in front of our house. One suspect was caught and prosecuted. My thoughts are that either they've returned for another good haul, told friends, or possibly somebody wants revenge for their buddy going away.

What should I do? Every noise I hear prompts a room-to-room clearing of the house with my rifle tightly clutched in hand. I live in washington state, and we do not have a castle law so even if I shot an intruder, it might not end well. I plan on calling the sheriff tomorrow and going on record that someone may be staking out my house for an invasion or robbery. My only concern is for my families safety, I just feel there's got to be a better solution than waiting for some cracked out asshat to attack my family.

UPDATE:

The visits have continued every few days, getting later and later each time. They always stop in front of my house and drive away when I move around.
I have gone on record with the sherrif but there's nothing they can do at this point.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:20:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Judged by 12, carried by 6. That's how I live my life regardless of laws.

Call the sherif and see if they can help. At the end of the day though it's you or them if they decide to do anything. Good luck. I hope nothing bad happens OP.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:21:07 AM EDT
[#2]
See if the most likely avenues of approach are safe for shooting. Make a plan for the family.,

Possibly do some kind of show of force. Like be sitting on your porch wifh your AR when they drive by.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:23:22 AM EDT
[#3]
set booty traps!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:24:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Install an outside camera with IR to get a picture of the suspects or license plate.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:26:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Do report it.  Helps to establish cause for your action if something later happens.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:26:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Do you even familiar bro?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:26:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Install an outside camera with IR to get a picture of the suspects or license plate.
View Quote

Good one.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:29:41 AM EDT
[#8]
A very large outside dag.    
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:30:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Move or install security cameras.

Castle laws or not, I wouldn't think twice about shooting an intruder.  Just make sure you do it inside your home.  Then, don't speak to the cops without a lawyer.

ETA.....A GSD is also not a bad option.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:31:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I second the IR cameras.  Add a security system and signs, make sure the short screws in doors are replaced with long ones.  Replace deadbolts that have knobs  near windows with the double cylinder version that require a key from both sides.  Reinforce the door jambs.  Keep a charged cell phone next to your bed.  Come up with a plan with family members.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:31:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I have motion sensitive NV cameras that were installed post-robbery last year. They aren't triggered until the driveway, but I will change the angle and sensitivity. Too bad I can't hook up an AK and methhead detector to it...
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:35:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Leave your lights off when they are coming around next time.  See what they do then.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:37:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Get a plate number. Call the police. Then call the police when the car shows up again.

IR cameras, motion lights, and/or a dog would also be in order.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:39:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Security cameras should be up right now.

Add motion sensitive lights. Mayby a big flood light pointed down the drive way for when they pull in next time.

Setup those door entry sounders that stores use, the ones that go 'bing bong', at the sides to catch someone coming up. Differrent sound for each side to give dirrection of intruder.

hidden ir game camera pointed down drive way to catch plate numbers.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:39:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Leave all lights out, hide your vehicle, and leave a note on the front door that says, UPS man we are in Florida for 2 weeks. Replace rifle with shotgun.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:41:41 AM EDT
[#16]
It's a very brief visit. The vehicle has very bright headlights making the approach impossible to get a plate from. Upon noticing me making food in the kitchen, they pull a U turn and speed off into the darkness. I will try to turn the lights off next time, but calling the police would only help if they stopped and/or moved in.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:41:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Trail cameras at the end of driveway pointing in different directions.  My dad thought someone was stalking his house a year after the robbery he had, after a little intel and stalking i found out it was a newspaper guy with a new route. After I gave him the brown shorts he now turn around somewhere else
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:44:19 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd chase after their car in my car as I call the cops on my cellphone.. all the while yelling  out of my window at them as loud as I can "dont mess with 13r's bro"" but that's just me
I like to live on the edge sometimes!

Or
    1.dig hole in road
    2.cover said hole
    3. wait
    4.trap car and profit!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:47:49 AM EDT
[#19]
There is a "stand your ground" law in Wa. Did you not know that?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:48:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Actually, in Washington we have no duty to retreat from a place we have a right to be, and someone entering your home for the purposes of committing a felony - which Residential Burglary would be - allows for shooting.

It's not a castle law, but it's close enough.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:51:00 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Leave all lights out, hide your vehicle, and leave a note on the front door that says, UPS man we are in Florida for 2 weeks. Replace rifle with shotgun.
View Quote
Now you've done it..

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:52:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:55:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Cameras, cameras, and more cameras.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:56:25 AM EDT
[#25]
boards with nails in driveway and a sign:

"this ain't a turnaround. it's a dead end.
  The Jackal"
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:56:31 AM EDT
[#26]
I did, but the stand your ground law doesn't provide as much legal coverage as the castle law. There shouldn't even be a debate, if someone breaks into your home, malicious intent is implied.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:57:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Are you a white hispanic?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:00:42 AM EDT
[#28]
call the cops when you see the guy.  Dont post shit on the interweb that will be used against you in the future.

Never worry about defending yourself no matter what the law..  Your law is all that matters when the shit goes down.

Get a fucking shotgun with some number 4 buck if you are worried about shooting through walls,  or even some Bird Shot like Number 2 shot.{  I don't care what the arf thinks I would hate to be shot with a load of Number 2 shot at 10 feet.}

Oh and dont be a troll
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:01:16 AM EDT
[#29]
No. I don't see how race factors in though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:02:37 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Good one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good one.

More than one. Going each way at the road, minimum, to get lic plate and possible physical description(s).

Stake out the area with all your personal defensive gear and a hide and wait. 2 million lumen flashlight. Light 'em up and get their number.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:02:53 AM EDT
[#31]
When your door gets kicked in at 3:00 am, don't stand there wondering if you're in the right firing your gun to defend yourself and family.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:02:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I did, but the stand your ground law doesn't provide as much legal coverage as the castle law. There shouldn't even be a debate, if someone breaks into your home, malicious intent is implied. Therefore, their splattered brain becomes my new modern art centerpiece. They waived their humanitarian rights and their privilege of life the moment they decided they would forcefully enter my home and threaten my family. But no... Criminals have rights...
View Quote

The bolded part? That's the law here last I saw.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:04:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Always the new guys withe the interesting lives.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:11:44 AM EDT
[#34]
The cameras and security system  as recommended would be on call 24/7 not just at 1:30 -3:45AM.

You don't really know if they are planing on another daytime robbery or an nighttime invasion or if it could just be 2 paper delivery ladies in a little blue pickup turning around in your driveway.

Good Luck and Godspeed....
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:14:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Leave your lights off when they are coming around next time.  See what they do then.
View Quote

I agree with this.  Observe what they do when they think they aren't being watched.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:14:51 AM EDT
[#36]
An alarm system would be my number 1 recommendation.  Followed by cameras and motion sensor flood lights.

ETA:  You could always go with plan B and fire two shotgun blasts through your door

Biden said its ok to do.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:16:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I agree with this.  Observe what they do when they think they aren't being watched.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like this one as well.  Sort of like a mini stake out
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:17:51 AM EDT
[#38]
How old are your kids?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:18:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Don't worry about it....it's probably just the DEA or ATF just looking to snag your garbage to establish PC on your weed farm/ underground machine gun manufacturing business.....
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:19:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Couple ARFCOMers, some NODs and a BBQ.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:23:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Do you even familiar bro?
View Quote

13'ers?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:29:13 AM EDT
[#42]

Ah! The 3 SSSs
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:53:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't forget to fire to shots in the air.  If they keep coming fire one through the door.

On a serious note, how frequently does this happen?  If once, it could just be someone turning around...
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:02:27 AM EDT
[#44]
why are you routinely up cooking/preparing food at 1-3:45 am in the first place, OP?
you a second shift type, or what?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:36:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Are you a white hispanic?
View Quote

Or maybe a white African.
However he wouldn't need our help if that were the case.
He would have The S.S.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:50:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Move to a safer area in a state that has a castle doctrine law.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:53:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:55:13 AM EDT
[#48]
If I lived in a state that frowned on my protecting my loved ones (and my stuff), I'd have one of these on hand

and a final destination mapped out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:58:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

THIS.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:58:22 AM EDT
[#50]
How many Pitbulls do you have?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top