Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/8/2013 8:43:16 PM EDT
Went dove hunting this morning with two buddies and encountered some of the most idiotic hunters I've ever come across.

We arrived around an hour before sunrise to stake our favorite spot.  There were  trucks a hundred or so yards upstream and downstream of us.  Shooting starts and we are on a ton of birds about 15 yards from my truck.  2 hours in we've shot 18 birds and are having a great time when the three trucks upstream of us drive right up the middle of the pass where the birds are running and park right next to my truck.  6 guys pile out and basically surround our shooting area, literally 20 yards away from us in front, in back, and on either side.  After 20 or so minutes a couple birds come down and I shoot one  and my buddy shoots the other literally right over the other hunters' heads.  They didn't like that, but finally got the hint and walked  a little ways away.  After another hour and our group shooting several more birds and them shooting none, they finally left.  As the day went on, we had two other groups of guys park near us and try and crowd us out.  

Although we were pissed at the time, we shot 3 limits of Dove and were able to put another group of friends on some birds as well, so it was a good day, but I have to wonder what the hell people are thinking literally parking right on top of us and hunting a few yards away from us.  Some people have no damn respect or etiquette.  We're easy going, but I know lots of guys who would have come to blows over such stupidity.

TLDR:  Assholes who are shitty hunters parked right on top of us and tried to hunt a few yards away from us but still couldn't hit shit.  I hate asshole hunters.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:46:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Bring Dick Cheney along next time.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:46:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Reason #87 I wear body armor when hunting.  

Wait, you intentionally shot in the immediate direction of other hunters, whether they belonged there or not, that's all sorts of retarded.  How about telling them to unass the fucking area as you were there first??

Quoted:
Went dove hunting this morning with two buddies and encountered some of the most idiotic hunters I've ever come across.

We arrived around an hour before sunrise to stake our favorite spot.  There were  trucks a hundred or so yards upstream and downstream of us.  Shooting starts and we are on a ton of birds about 15 yards from my truck.  2 hours in we've shot 18 birds and are having a great time when the three trucks upstream of us drive right up the middle of the pass where the birds are running and park right next to my truck.  6 guys pile out and basically surround our shooting area, literally 20 yards away from us in front, in back, and on either side.  After 20 or so minutes a couple birds come down and I shoot one  and my buddy shoots the other literally right over the other hunters' heads.  They didn't like that, but finally got the hint and walked  a little ways away.  After another hour and our group shooting several more birds and them shooting none, they finally left.  As the day went on, we had two other groups of guys park near us and try and crowd us out.  

Although we were pissed at the time, we shot 3 limits of Dove and were able to put another group of friends on some birds as well, so it was a good day, but I have to wonder what the hell people are thinking literally parking right on top of us and hunting a few yards away from us.  Some people have no damn respect or etiquette.  We're easy going, but I know lots of guys who would have come to blows over such stupidity.

TLDR:  Assholes who are shitty hunters parked right on top of us and tried to hunt a few yards away from us but still couldn't hit shit.  I hate asshole hunters.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:46:28 PM EDT
[#3]
When I go elk hunting, I get where I need to be ASS early for the morning set.

If another truck drives up while I am waiting to go up the trail, I flash my headlamp and they always leave and I do the same if roles are reversed.

When I go in for the evening set, I ALWAYS glass looking for anyone else.

If I see someone, I leave.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:53:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wait, you intentionally shot in the immediate direction of other hunters, whether they belonged there or not, that's all sorts of retarded.  How about telling them to unass the fucking area as you were there first??

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Where we dove hunt you are always shooting toward other hunters.  These birds were way up in the air.  There was no chance at all of us hitting these guys.  Keep in mind that the asshole hunters were close as hell to us, so by the time we shot our guns were >45* up angle.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Where we dove hunt you are always shooting toward other hunters.  These birds were way up in the air.  There was no chance at all of us hitting these guys.  Keep in mind that the asshole hunters were close as hell to us, so by the time we shot our guns were >45* up angle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't always start a thread on hunting etiquette.....but when I do, I talk about how I shot over a guys head.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:57:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't always start a thread on hunting etiquette.....but when I do, I talk about how I shot over a guys head.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Were your first 4 posts this stupid?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:58:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

You wear body armor when you hunt? You wear body armor when you dove hunt?

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:59:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't always call people stupid.....but when I do, I do it after they point out how unsafe I am.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:00:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bodyarmor isnt going to help if your hunting elk, unless you got plates......even then..wtf...
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Dove hunters always seem to get peppered by shot. While its an exciting hunt, I get frustrated by shooting 25 shells with nothing to show for it...

Give me squirrel hunting any day...
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:01:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bro, do you even hunt?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I don't always call people stupid.....but when I do, I do it after they point out how unsafe I am.
View Quote

We were shooting almost straight up in the air, there was nothing unsafe about it.  The guys weren't pissed that we shot, they were pissed that they missed the birds and we got them.  Go away with your 5 posts.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

They could have been "familar"
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:03:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Bro, do you even hunt?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bro, do you even hunt?

Yes, all my life. In fact I just came back from a dove hunting trip.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

Shit happens when your bird hunting.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:06:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

We were shooting almost straight up in the air, there was nothing unsafe about it.  The guys weren't pissed that we shot, they were pissed that they missed the birds and we got them.  Go away with your 5 posts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chill out bro, I  just thought it was funny the way you posted. As-if having almost 4k posts is some-sort of statues symbol
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:06:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like Overton.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bro, do you even hunt?

If that were true you would be used to shot raining on you during dove season.

It's part of it. He wasn't 10 feet from them, they just might have had some leaden precipitation.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#19]
When I go duck hunting, I shoot over my own head all day long. Is this unsafe? The guy next to me. I'm shooting over his head. Is that unsafe? My buddies across the dekes from me. I am peppering them with pellets (from above, not straight on). Is this unsafe? Jesus....
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Nope, not where I hunt.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Sounds like Overton.
View Quote

Although I agree that is often the case at Overton, this was out near Boulder City.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:12:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
When I go duck hunting, I shoot over my own head all day long. Is this unsafe? The guy next to me. I'm shooting over his head. Is that unsafe? My buddies across the dekes from me. I am peppering them with pellets (from above, not straight on). Is this unsafe? Jesus....
View Quote

Watch out we gotta bad-ass over here!! My point...........you missed it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#23]

I have the same attitude about dove hunting as I do with duck hunting out of a boat.

My dad always said that he would only duck hunt out of a boat with the person who taught him gun safety, and the ones that HE taught gun safety.

Seems like sage advice.

One of my neighbor's kids just had to sit out the last year's HS football season because someone SHOT HIM  on a dove hunt in North Mississippi.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You should bow out of this thread now while some people might still have a shred of respect for you.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:18:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You should bow out of this thread now while some people might still have a shred of respect for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the op: "......I shoot one and my buddy shoots the other literally right over the other hunters' heads. "  You should stop being so condescending. (That means you talk down to people)
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:19:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Some of you guys have never had to hunt public land with any sort of pressure.  It can be a real shit show.  That was a dick move on the part of the guys who moved in on your spot.  Even though it is pretty common to shoot over peoples heads I simply leave when it gets that crowded.  Just isn't worth it to me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:20:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
From the op: "......I shoot one and my buddy shoots the other literally right over the other hunters' heads. "  You should stop being so condescending. (That means you talk down to people)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also from the OP: "Where we dove hunt you are always shooting toward other hunters. These birds were way up in the air. There was no chance at all of us hitting these guys. Keep in mind that the asshole hunters were close as hell to us, so by the time we shot our guns were >45* up angle."

"We were shooting almost straight up in the air, there was nothing unsafe about it. The guys weren't pissed that we shot, they were pissed that they missed the birds and we got them. Go away with your 5 posts."
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are right, Cheesedick, whatever point you had, I must have missed it....
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:24:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Also from the OP: "Where we dove hunt you are always shooting toward other hunters. These birds were way up in the air. There was no chance at all of us hitting these guys. Keep in mind that the asshole hunters were close as hell to us, so by the time we shot our guns were >45* up angle."

"We were shooting almost straight up in the air, there was nothing unsafe about it. The guys weren't pissed that we shot, they were pissed that they missed the birds and we got them. Go away with your 5 posts."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Original Post doesn't include that. Hate to break it to you but, I'm right and you are wrong.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:25:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the op:

"After 20 or so minutes a couple birds come down and I shoot one and my buddy shoots the other literally right over the other hunters' heads."

Yes, you did miss it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The Original Post doesn't include that. Hate to break it to you but, I'm right and you are wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

OP also means Original Poster genius.

And even if you read it in a later post, you now know that nothing unsafe occurred, yet you persist.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:27:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It can also mean original post. Still winning.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't know what it's like out in Nevada, but here, on public land, the dove fields are anywhere from 5 acres to 20 acres, and during opening week it's packed.  It's not like they going to ruin your set up, and scare the birds off unless they're blasting away at the high passing ones.

ETA:  Also, don't feed the troll.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:30:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Safety must always come first while hunting.  For a second group of hunters to place themselves intentionally in that close is something I would call unethical.  Their purpose was not acceptable.  I am not familiar with local redneck behavior to be judgmental about continued shooting.

We are our own worst enemies.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:32:51 PM EDT
[#35]
FPNI, and dont shoot over others heads!
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:34:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Sounds a lot like deer hunting on public land. Ive usually got four or five hunters withen 100 yards of me on opening day.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:36:29 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Safety must always come first while hunting.  For a second group of hunters to place themselves intentionally in that close is something I would call unethical.  Their purpose was not acceptable.  I am not familiar with local redneck behavior to be judgmental about continued shooting.

View Quote

But you know me well enough to know I wouldn't do anything unsafe.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A) I have never dove hunted, so shooting over someone's head or in their immediate direction is very unfamiliar to me.  
B) I have hunted coyote and hogs in Arizona and Texas, and yes, I wore some body armor.  Then again, we were in areas of human and narcotics smuggling routes, so the armor was more incase we ran into "strangers"
-SleeperShooter
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:36:56 PM EDT
[#39]
You shot over other hunters heads?  

Dove hunting = Zero orange in my neck of the woods.  I realize they ran up on you guys, which is a jack ass move in my opinion, but shooting over another persons head shows just as much irresponsibility.  I grew up hunting on public land, and we always went by the "address the situation as needed" routine.

I would of definitely asked them what the heck they think they are doing when they surrounded you and started setting up in the first place.  That might have taken care of the situation right then and there.  The crowding out can be seen, but the people that suffer it are mostly the weekend warrior suburban folk from what  I have witnessed.

That little 7.5 shot can do quite a bit of damage to person at a 15 yards if it hits them in the right spot.  

I hope I'm not sounding like a fudd, but good god  

lesson learned, if you are there first and legal speak up
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:38:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

A) I have never dove hunted, so shooting over someone's head or in their immediate direction is very unfamiliar to me.  
B) I have hunted coyote and hogs in Arizona and Texas, and yes, I wore some body armor.  Then again, we were in areas of human and narcotics smuggling routes, so the armor was more Incase we ran into "strangers"
-SleeperShooter
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

B) I have hunted coyote and hogs in Arizona and Texas, and yes, I wore some body armor.  Then again, we were in areas of human and narcotics smuggling routes, so the armor was more Incase we ran into "strangers"
-SleeperShooter

That makes perfect sense, then.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:40:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I don't know what it's like out in Nevada, but here, on public land, the dove fields are anywhere from 5 acres to 20 acres, and during opening week it's packed.  It's not like they going to ruin your set up, and scare the birds off unless they're blasting away at the high passing ones.

ETA:  Also, don't feed the troll.
View Quote

So i'm a troll for pointing out op shooting over someones head?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:40:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
When I go elk hunting, I get where I need to be ASS early for the morning set.

If another truck drives up while I am waiting to go up the trail, I flash my headlamp and they always leave and I do the same if roles are reversed.

When I go in for the evening set, I ALWAYS glass looking for anyone else.

If I see someone, I leave.
View Quote

+1 to this on deer season, not to many people are willing to hike the miles I am to a good spot.  

if they beat me to it, so be it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:41:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:42:10 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

But you know me well enough to know I wouldn't do anything unsafe.

That is quite true!  I've been hunting for 50 years now and think that un-sportsman like conduct is the 2nd worst thing regarding firearms.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Dove hunting = Zero orange in my neck of the woods.  I realize they ran up on you guys, which is a jack ass move in my opinion, but shooting over another persons head shows just as much irresponsibility.  I grew up hunting on public land, and we always went by the "address the situation as needed" routine.

I would of definitely asked them what the heck they think they are doing when they surrounded you and started setting up in the first place.  That might have taken care of the situation right then and there.  The crowding out can be seen, but the people that suffer it are mostly the weekend warrior suburban folk from what  I have witnessed.

That little 7.5 shot can do quite a bit of damage to person at a 15 yards if it hits them in the right spot.  

View Quote

Read my later posts.  There was zero danger and we were shooting nearly straight up in the air.  I understand the concern, but it's not as if we were shooting low flying birds at these guys at some distance.  The other guys less than 50 feet away from us and the birds were fairly high in the air.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:43:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Read my later posts.  There was zero danger and we were shooting nearly straight up in the air.  I understand the concern, but it's not as if we were shooting low flying birds at these guys at some distance.  The other guys less than 50 feet away from us and the birds were fairly high in the air.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe next time put that in your op? Just a thought.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry about the above remark - I didn't read this one before responding.  But regardless, shooting even at that angle seems rather irresponsible to me.

It could be different in your neck of the woods

No dogs were shot I hope?
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#48]
If you go dove hunting on public land, you'll have people behind you, in front of you and on both sides of you.  You will shoot over people's heads, and people will shoot over your head.  It's really not that big of a deal as long as everyone out there adheres to the notion that there should be nothing but bird and blue sky in their sights.  You'll often hear people call out, "Low bird!" which is a short hand for "Nobody shoot at that bird."

You will get rained on, it's not that big of a deal.  You're wearing eye pro, right?

ETA:  If the field is pretty wide open, and there are lots of empty spaces to set up, I agree, setting up right on top of another group is discourteous.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#50]
When I lived in NY, I would find people in deer stands that I built on my property and have them tell me they knew the owner and I was full of shi_!  

I can only repeat we are our own worst enemies.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top