Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/3/2013 3:35:37 PM EDT
Second time having a small dent removed from our vehicle. First time metal pics and such were used from underneath. Ths time it was done with a glue gun, mini puller, and a rubber tipped chisel. These guys are amazing. The first time I was cringing and getting sick to my stomach watching the guy go to town with a metal pic on my car. I had to walk away. But it was taken out and there are no signs a dent was ever there. This time had the same results except for the scuff  mark from the peckerheads car door. But yeah simply amazing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#1]
It is indeed a pretty neat technique.  I read that it was developed by the folks working at the Mercedes Benz factory in Germany.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Nancy Pelosi does a good job of removing the dent in my pants...
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is indeed a pretty neat technique.  I read that it was developed by the folks working at the Mercedes Benz factory in Germany.
View Quote

No , it came out of a limo shop in springfield Mo .

One guy named Litto who founded Dentwizzard and Jerry who trains Hail techs.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 4:02:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

So she moves an indention in your pants outward?
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. Wasn't even going to respond to it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#6]
in the past didn't they weld rods to it?
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 4:13:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's more for dent removal when they are doing body work and is still used. What I am talking about is a guy removing dents with picks amd such without hurting your paint.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's more for dent removal when they are doing body work and is still used. What I am talking about is a guy removing dents with picks amd such without hurting your paint.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sometimes people need a pic

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 4:36:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x332/Mike_Boles/4578F1D9-D80E-4DAE-8665-309E821A4CD5-849-00000129F9FC2420_zps0d54b6c7.jpg

Is that your setup?
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 4:39:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup they cleaned up my Volvo real nice.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x332/Mike_Boles/4578F1D9-D80E-4DAE-8665-309E821A4CD5-849-00000129F9FC2420_zps0d54b6c7.jpg

that pic looks like tools used in secret torture rooms - good times
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 4:41:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Is that your setup?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that your setup?

Most of it yes
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#13]
My car got hammered twice by June and July hailstorms here in CO.  The first time guys from the Dent Center out of Texas, following storms, did a great job, even gave me a free loaner while they had my car in the shop.  The second time a local shop did it, and did as good or better as the first time.  Looked brand new when they were done with it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 4:50:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep, it's pretty cool watching these guys massage metal.  Car manufacturers do the same thing at the factory, too....
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is that your setup?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that your setup?

Nice what you guys do is really neat.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Most of it yes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that your setup?

Most of it yes

What make of car do you find has the weakest, thinnest sheet metal? I am guessing Nissan based on the ones I have owned.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Fiat and Kia are the worst but BMW are the hardest cars to work on.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a relative who owns a body shop.  I dropped by one time and he had a guy in there working on a hail damaged car.  It was pretty impressive what an array of tools he had and how he accessed the various surfaces from behind without removing all the headliner or other trim.

It seems these guys chase hailstorms and work the area where there is demand.  Sounds kind of cool actually.

I'll bet a big part of it is modern paint and another part is high strength steel in thinner gauges.  Probably wouldn't work as well on older Detroit land yachts...
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I stand corrected.

My old Nissan truck would show ripples in the sheet metal from the high pressure wand at self serve car washes.

I'd hate to see how weak a KIA or FIAT must be.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I stand corrected.

My old Nissan truck would show ripples in the sheet metal from the high pressure wand at self serve car washes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I stand corrected.

The old 80s and 90s nissans had a brace that ran the length of the door with these little hard glue spots holding it together .

The air pocket inI between the glue tabs would warp in and it would look like a wave running down the doors.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 5:50:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

danggit. I have a 740 with a baseball dent in the hood!

what's the cost for say a baseball size dent? how does it compare to normal body work.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 5:53:56 PM EDT
[#22]
My WRX has a handful of dings, small, about a quarter's size, that need to be removed. On the trunk, hood, and a couple on the quarter panels.

What's the ballpark charge for removing one?

Looks like this thread is turning into a "ask a ....... anything" thread.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

what's the cost for say a baseball size dent? how does it compare to normal body work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would charge $2-300 for your hood because it's aluminum .
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My WRX has a handful of dings, small, about a quarter's size, that need to be removed. On the trunk, hood, and a couple on the quarter panels.

View Quote

My two dents were 25 to 50 cent piece in size. The one was most likely from a car door and was slightly linear. Cost was 50$ a pece done at seperate times. Each time took the guy about 45 min. Small price to pay if these types of things bother you. I was happy with the price and made sure I tipped him. I tipped the guy today 15$ partly cause he came out the same day I called him.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:03:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah I should have a ask a dent guy thread . On your car it would be $99 for the first ding and $50 each ding after that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:04:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My two dents were 25 to 50 cent piece in size. The one was most likely from a car door and was slightly linear. Cost was 50$ a pece done at seperate times. Each time took the guy about 45 min. Small price to pay if these types of things bother you. I was happy with the price and made sure I tipped him. I tipped the guy today 15$ partly cause he came out the same day I called him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You got a deal
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah I should have a ask a dent guy thread . On your car it would be $99 for the first ding and $50 each ding after that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was charged 50$ for a small dent about the size of a 50 cent piece. I thought it was cheap and he seemed really surprised when I tipped him 15$. What say you?
Sorry to late. You beat me to it. Thanks that's what I thought. I was more then happy to pay what I did. He did mention that he does alot of dealerships and they don't want to pay shit. He maybe in the habit of under charging for his services.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#28]
So I got a quarter sized ding on my drivers door.  It's inaccessible from the back-side without taking off the door panel.  Would a dent-remover be able to fix it?
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:13:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ouch. Guy at work has a Challenger that looks like a golf ball it's dimpled so bad.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:13:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds pretty reasonable. Are you in the LA area?

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I was charged 50$ for a small dent about the size of a 50 cent piece. I thought it was cheap and he seemed really surprised when I tipped him 15$. What say you?
Sorry to late. You beat me to it. Thanks that's what I thought. I was more then happy to pay what I did. He did mention that he does alot of dealerships and they don't want to pay shit. He maybe in the habit of under charging for his services.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could be , dealers here pay $75 a car they have 10/20 for you every time you go in. they also float you 30/60 days before they pay you .

It's good to have a mix , I run about 45% wholesale and 55% retail.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
So I got a quarter sized ding on my drivers door.  It's inaccessible from the back-side without taking off the door panel.  Would a dent-remover be able to fix it?
View Quote

My dent today was not able to be accessed from behind so it was done with hot glueing little pastic pieces to the dent and being pulled out then hammered back in with a small rubber tipped looking chisel.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:16:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

A good dent guy can fix it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:16:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:17:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No im in the north Bay but I do know people if you want it fixed right.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most likely yes.  I have had some dents removed that I thought would be impossible to remove.

Side note, I would suggest finding a PDR tech that will take the time to get access to dents by removing interior panels even if it costs more.  Some techs may instead drill holes in door jambs, etc to get access.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Could be , dealers here pay $75 a car they have 10/20 for you every time you go in. they also float you 30/60 days before they pay you .

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He said he did some dealerships and body shops. Plus the guys like myself who just call.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The guy I watched drilled a hole on the end of the door, then plugged it with a matching plastic plug when he was done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guy I watched drilled a hole on the end of the door, then plugged it with a matching plastic plug when he was done.

The guy who drilled a hole is a hack , there is no reason to drill if you invest in a good glue kit.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:20:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

He said he did some dealerships and body shops. Plus the guys like myself who just call.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perfect
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:21:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ugh.  I wouldn't ever go to a PDR place that did that.  IMO it's a half-assed way of doing things.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:21:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guy who did mine said he does this at dealerships on used cars if he can't get to the dent from behind. But only if he has to. I think he said something about the dent being to deep or sharp.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Great video of the process.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:24:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Probably.  He's been doing it for 20+ years, so perhaps he hasn't kept up with the latest technology?  

He makes a good living, BTW.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guy who drilled a hole is a hack , there is no reason to drill if you invest in a good glue kit.

Probably.  He's been doing it for 20+ years, so perhaps he hasn't kept up with the latest technology?  

He makes a good living, BTW.  

I will admitt some of the old school guys that don't like change can do a good job.

The problem with drilling a hole is the insurance companies say it changes the crumple zones and the PDR tech could be held responsible .
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

That big stuff is where you make you money. $800 easy and done in a hour or two.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:29:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The guy who did mine said he does this at dealerships on used cars if he can't get to the dent from behind. But only if he has to. I think he said something about the dent being to deep or sharp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glue tabbing cost money and at what a dealer pays time is money so a lot of guys will stick and move.  

Yes I am guilty of this as well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#47]
tag
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 7:30:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

hmm, I don't *think* it's aluminum but you might be right.  you work on more of them than I do.  but it is *HEAVY* and if I put pressure on it, it ripples like normal steel sheet.  it's an older one,  1997 so I'm guessing it's steel. I could be wrong though. it's not a huge dent, just painfully obvious right in the center of the stupid hood. ha
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 7:47:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Can this be done on the line where the upper/lower part of the door panel meet?
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 8:01:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Can this be done on the line where the upper/lower part of the door panel meet?
View Quote

Yes depending on the dent
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top