Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 8/30/2013 5:02:41 PM EDT
I'm 24.
No credit card, no debit card, no checking account, no online banking.
Savings account only, CASH only.

No debt, student loans, anything whatsoever.

I make 40,000 a year.

I have no credit score.

They approved me for 750 dollars. I needed a card for business, I travel and need to have instant access to money for expenses. Figured I'd give it a try.

After the second transaction they locked my account for "security purposes."

I drove all over town one day trying to find a place that participates in cash back. Got wrong information 2 times from customer service.
Many businesses won't take Discover.

Finally today, I reached my line of credit (750 dollars) 300 miles away from my house. Needed to get home and could not pay tolls...(no cash and I use a local bank).
They flat out refused to extend me 30 dollars on my line of credit for an emergency.

Told them on the phone to cancel my account and send me the bill, I'll will happily go to one of their competitors. They gave up no fight and cancelled it.

Can't wait to back to cash only.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn, no nothing?

If I didn't know any better, I'd say you just turned 16.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:05:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Good luck with your continued poor/nonexistent credit score goals for 2013.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#3]
If you didn't have enough cash making 40K  a year to pay your tolls, you can't afford a credit card. And it's their fault???? You kids have a lot to learn...
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I've gotten by for quite a long time driving to the bank and taking cash out of my savings account...I really don't have a credit score goal.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#5]
CSB

A credit score and a credit card of some sort are pretty much essential these days. How do you rent a hotel room or a car? Most want a credit card. Same with airlines.

I hope you have a pile of cash sitting around in case you ever want to buy a decent house.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#6]

You called and told them where you were travelling to avoid your card being shut down, right?

...and you're used to dealing with cash your entire life but didn't have a couple bucks for tolls?

You have a non exsitent credit score and mad they wouldn't give you a limit increase? I'm surprised you got a card to begin with.

Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:07:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you didn't have enough cash making 40K  a year to pay your tolls, you can't afford a credit card. And it's their fault???? You kids have a lot to learn...
View Quote

Have plenty of cash in the bank, but figured the conveinence of a credit card would eliminate the need to carry it around. It was after 5, my bank was closed, 300 miles away and I don't have any way to access it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:07:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Capital One man
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#9]
That was a RETARDED move. You have no credit history, they gave you a card, and you cancelled it? Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Go get a secured card for $5k and prove you're the boss.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You called and told them where you were travelling to avoid your card being shut down, right?

..and you're used to dealing with cash your entire life but didn't have a couple bucks for tolls?
View Quote

1. Yes.
2. What is the point of carrying cash around if you have a credit card? (that's the whole point...not going to rely on a CC when cash will do just fine...if I need to carry both)
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been with Discover since 1996. Never had any issues with them. If you are going to be traveling it is best to notify the card company so they don't lock it for security reasons. I was in China a few days ago and will be in Europe Sunday. Under normal circumstances. that type of activity would appear fraudulent and result in the account being locked. A little effort on your part would help prevent such shenanigans.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:10:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That was a RETARDED move. You have no credit history, they gave you a card, and you cancelled it? Dumb, dumb, dumb.

View Quote

Maybe, but I don't want to do business with a company that will flat out refuse a 30 dollar credit advance during an emergency, and will stand to lose a customer at the drop of a hat. I have worked in sales/customer service for quite a long time...never seen an example so bad.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:10:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
1. Yes.

2. What is the point of carrying cash around if you have a credit card? (that's the whole point...not going to rely on a CC when cash will do just fine...if I need to carry both)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

..and you're used to dealing with cash your entire life but didn't have a couple bucks for tolls?

1. Yes.

Guess what?   Carry both. Also get a debit card from your bank.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#14]
If you're savings and cash only, how did you need the credit card to pay tolls?

I used to be in almost your exact situation - when I graduated college at 23.5, I only had student loan payments that I had barely started making and very little credit history. Discover was the only card that was interested in giving me a real credit limit and not some bullshit "borrow your own money" type deal.

They approved me for $6000 off the bat. I've had it for not quite two years and they've already upped my limit to $8500. I've never paid interest once and missed a payment only once by a day which they of course waived. Discover has been nothing but excellent to me. They even sent me a new credit card recently and deactivated my old one because they detected that someone had recently stolen my debit card number online, so they wanted to be proactive just in case. They also have top notch customer service. My interest rate sucks, but if you're paying interest you're doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Discover is one of the harder ones to work with but once you get through the tough period they are ok.

Amex charge card may be another option for you.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Your work doesn't issue you a corporate card?

A credit card is not a substitute for cash. It is for times when the normal amount of cash you are carrying isn't enough
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:12:38 PM EDT
[#17]
How do you end up any distance away from home without any cash?  How do you have a local bank that doesn't offer Visa Debit cards?  How, in this day and age, could you even consider doing business with a bank that doesn't have multiple ways for you to access your money anywhere in the US??  
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Being responsible with a credit card is great

Just gotta learn how to use one correctly now, eh?
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How do you end up any distance away from home without any cash?  How do you have a local bank that doesn't offer Visa Debit cards?  How, in this day and age, could you even consider doing business with a bank that doesn't have multiple ways for you to access your money anywhere in the US??  
View Quote

I'm sure they do...never been interested in it before.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:16:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Do you not have a debit card? Wtf.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#21]
You're doing it wrong. Sincerely yours, a Discover, Amex, MC, Visa card holder for forever who also has at least $100 cash on him at all times too and has never carried a balance
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm 24.
No credit card, no debit card, no checking account, no online banking.
Savings account only, CASH only.

No debt, student loans, anything whatsoever.

I make 40,000 a year.

I have no credit score.

They approved me for 750 dollars. I needed a card for business, I travel and need to have instant access to money for expenses. Figured I'd give it a try.

After the second transaction they locked my account for "security purposes."

I drove all over town one day trying to find a place that participates in cash back. Got wrong information 2 times from customer service.
Many businesses won't take Discover.

Finally today, I reached my line of credit (750 dollars) 300 miles away from my house. Needed to get home and could not pay tolls...(no cash and I use a local bank).
They flat out refused to extend me 30 dollars on my line of credit for an emergency.

Told them on the phone to cancel my account and send me the bill, I'll will happily go to one of their competitors. They gave up no fight and cancelled it.

Can't wait to back to cash only.
View Quote

Just wait till you get two new offers a day from them telling you they want you back.

Fucking hate them.   Canceling my chase card once it is paid off and going back to just my citicard.

Wait til you try to buy a house and the lender tells you to take out more lines of credit to improve your score....

Yep, happened to me when i applied for home loan.    Had 724 score with 3 lines of credit.   They say they wanted to see more so opened a small card with crutchfield.   Score went to 740s.

Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:18:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Do you ever buy anything on line or mail order? Have any bills that you pay by mail? How do you pay for internet? Phone? Electric? I would think that a cash only existence is possible, but being limited to patronizing businesses where you can walk in and hand them money sounds like a deprived life. Especially in a place like where I live with limited choices in everything within a reasonable distance.

I gave up on most local businesses long ago. Never my size or color. Never what I needed. Spend the day driving to stores to find 1 option or 2 minutes on line to find 20. Can't do that with cash.  It was great when UPS did COD Cash. Those days are gone.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:18:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Your work doesn't issue you a corporate card?
View Quote

My employer expects me to cover any expenses I incur, then I have to submit them at the end of the month for approval, and only after that will they send me a check to cover those they deem acceptable.   Sucks, but it is better than not having ANY expense reimbursement.

Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't understand how you blew through 750 bucks on a card that's for business related expenses only while traveling in less than a week.  I've never had a job that's requires constant travel, so please fill me in.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Maybe, but I don't want to do business with a company that will flat out refuse a 30 dollar credit advance during an emergency, and will stand to lose a customer at the drop of a hat. I have worked in sales/customer service for quite a long time...never seen an example so bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're 24. You haven't done anything for a long time.

Sounds like someone's parents failed teaching their kid about life and being an adult.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#27]
it kinda scares me that there are actually people like you walking around in public

you have NO credit history and you're mad that they won't give you free credit on a whim just cause you called them
you drove 300 miles and didn't carry any spare cash
you don't even have this magical thing called a "DEBIT CARD"
no CHECKING ACCOUNT? have you NEVER had to write a check to anybody in your life?
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

no CHECKING ACCOUNT? have you NEVER had to write a check to anybody in your life?
View Quote

Never.

As far as buying stuff online, I can count the number of times I have done that on one hand. Absolutely hate it. If a place doesn't have what I want, I don't get it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I've gotten by for quite a long time driving to the bank and taking cash out of my savings account...I really don't have a credit score goal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And how'd that work out for you this time?

Two words:  Mastercard.  Visa.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:22:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
it kinda scares me that there are actually people like you walking around in public

you have NO credit history and you're mad that they won't give you free credit on a whim just cause you called them
View Quote

Why  wouldn't they? It's not like this is his first credit card, and its not like he maxed it out in under the first week.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So now the story changes...

I worked in cs for chase card services.  Your story is far from original I promise...

Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I don't understand how you blew through 750 bucks on a card that's for business related expenses only while traveling in less than a week.  I've never had a job that's requires constant travel, so please fill me in.
View Quote

Parking at 50ish dollars a day.
3 meals a day, living in a hotel.
Gas
Tolls
Misc. expenses related to staying in NYC.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Gas

Tolls

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Gas

Tolls

Were you not aware of the card's credit limit?  Was it your plan all along to call and ask for more when you blew through the $750?  If not, then what WAS your plan?  You don't seem to have made any other arrangements.

Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Why  wouldn't they? It's not like this is his first credit card, and its not like he maxed it out in under the first week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol seriously

"hey guys I just demonstrated to you that I have no responsibility and no self-control whatsoever.... CAN I HAV SOM MO MONEY PLEASE?!?!?"
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Are you amish?
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:29:43 PM EDT
[#37]
It can hurt you by canceling it so soon. No fee right? Should have keep it and not use it.
Clark Howard said this. Better to keep it and charge maybe $20.00 a year to keep it active.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Gas
Tolls
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gas
Tolls

I have burnt that in less time on the clock.

I am assuming you have some sort of retirement account through EdwardJones orFedelity?

If so call your financial advisor, and have them issue a card. it will be backed by your accounts,  you can get authorized for serious credit that way.  and the points can be rolled into an IRA at the end of the year
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#39]
$750? I didn't know they had cards that low.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:31:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It can hurt you by canceling it so soon. No fee right? Should have keep it and not use it.
View Quote

too late for that, OP just shot himself in the foot with a 105mm recoilless rifle

good luck opening a new credit card now OP
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Were you not aware of the card's credit limit?  Was it your plan all along to call and ask for more when you blew through the $750?  If not, then what WAS your plan?  You don't seem to have made any other arrangements.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gas
Tolls

When I activated the card I told them I would likely go over the 750..they assured me it wouldn't be a problem and I could just call and they could give me an emergency extension should I need it.
I planned it within a couple dollars.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

too late for that, OP just shot himself in the foot with a 105mm recoilless rifle

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After this experience, that's the point. I want nothing to do with them. Though I don't see it being an issue considering I will pay this in full as soon as I get the bill.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:33:10 PM EDT
[#43]
so you expect them to give you a credit limit of how many thousands of dollars? you have no credit and based on their experience you are worth the risk of $750. It is an inconvenience but you have to start building credit.

You are right, Discover is not accepted everywhere, but I've rarely had any problems and their benefits and customer service always made up for it with me. Do they have your cell phone number attached to your account? Ive had them call me when I started charging a lot out of town to make sure it was me, and one time it wasnt.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#44]
I bought a new gun with the cashback bonus from Discovercard one year with the good credit score I was able to build up. Use the system, man, don't fight it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#45]
We got over $650 back this year on our Sam's Club discover.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

After this experience, that's the point. I want nothing to do with them. Though I don't see it being an issue considering I will pay this in full as soon as I get the bill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

what's that you say? you don't ever plan on buying a house?

k
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Join a CU, get a CC thru them. Discover is worthless and their APR is stupidly high.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

unfortunately closing a credit card so soon is bad for your credit. Its a game, and it sucks, but sometimes you have to play along and take advantage of it. If you get another one, keep it and use it on a regular basis such as buying gas. good luck
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:36:24 PM EDT
[#50]

I went on a business trip that was a meeting in a hotel. Paid my bill with my Discover card. When I received my statement in the mail, it had not only my charges, but also the meeting room and related expenses. I contacted Discover and told them that the charges weren't mine, they belonged to the group that set up the meeting, I was just an attendee. The hotel sent Discover card a copy of my bill, with a handwritten note added for the meeting charges put on after I had checked out.

Discover decided that was good enough for them, and reinstated the charges to my account! I had to contact the group who was running the meeting, have them contact the hotel, and have them change the billing.

After that was done, I contacted Discover and told them to cancel my account and why. They couldn't have cared less.

As a result of their crappy dispute resolution process, I will never use a Discover card again and, because of their unethical billing practices, I will never stay at that hotel chain again.

The hell with both of them!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top