Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/18/2013 3:05:25 PM EDT
True or False:  A faster twist rate will allow a bullet to travel further farther.

Given two rifles with the same barrel length, bullet and muzzle velocity with the only difference being the twist rate, which one will have the greater maximum range.  For example, you have two AR-15s.  One has a 1:9 inch twist (the slower rate) and another with a 1:7 (the faster rate).  You are shooting a 69 grain Sierra Match King with loads such that both shoot at 2900 ft/s muzzle velocity.

Does the twist change the maximum distance the bullet will fly under the same conditions?  If so,  how does the twist influence the range?

Note:  The U.S. Army did tests of this sort in mid to late 1800's with the 45-70.

Edited for grammar correction.  Thanks for pointing this out.

ETA As I posted a bit below:  Food for thought,  in a vacuum a projectile will go the farthest when launched at 45 degrees from the horizontal, however, a modern rifle bullet's maximum range is when it is shot somewhere between 25 and 35 degrees.  Why is that the case?
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:06:32 PM EDT
[#1]
9.8m/s^2

Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:07:43 PM EDT
[#2]
one in a negative five twist the bullet will go back in time and kill the person you shot at's parents before disco.
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:08:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Just a half drunk on sunday guess, but i would say a faster spin rate in this instance would reduce the yaw rate, thus reducing air resistance and making the bullet go farther.

Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
one in a negative five twist the bullet will go back in time and kill the person you shot at's parents before disco.
View Quote

What if the person you are trying to shoot was born in the doo wop era? I dont think that would help.
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:10:06 PM EDT
[#5]
depends if you're shooting from the Northern or Southern Hemisphere
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What if the person you are trying to shoot was born in the doo wop era? I dont think that would help.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

still kill someone in the direct lineage before disco.  Only before disco,  never after.
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#7]

once past the muzzle, projectile rotational velocity degrades far, far slower than projectile linear velocity.
on this basis alone, rotational velocity has little bearing on range.  

holding the projectile and MV constant, range is affected more principally by air density.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:12:26 PM EDT
[#9]
It can cause some neat things to happen if you make a light grain round spin too fast.
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Might affect accuracy at distance; don't see how it would affect overall distance since they are the same weight/speed.  Never really thought about it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:13:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just a half drunk on sunday guess, but i would say a faster spin rate in this instance would reduce the yaw rate, thus reducing air resistance and making the bullet go farther.  
View Quote

epicyclic swerve is more a function of muzzle crown/bullet base uniformity, and nevetheless the concentric variation is at it's minimum by just 200 meters or so.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, the faster spinning bullet wastes its energy spinning instead of going forward.  With some fast twists you can almost see the bullet hover while it catches it breath.
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:15:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It can cause some neat things to happen if you make a light grain round spin too fast.
View Quote

I've seen that blue/grey cloud before and the resultant non-hole in the target.
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:17:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

epicyclic swerve is more a function of muzzle crown/bullet base uniformity, and nevertheless the concentric variation is at its minimum by just 200 meters or so.

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

epicyclic swerve is more a function of muzzle crown/bullet base uniformity, and nevertheless the concentric variation is at its minimum by just 200 meters or so.

ar-jedi

This is where i say thanks for the explanation, and correct your grammar

Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I answered false/won't change anything, but I could see the bullet that was fired out of the higher twist rate barrel going a bit less distance due to less velocity as it leaves the muzzle.

Why? I would assume it took a touch more energy to get it moving down the barrel since the twist is more aggressive.

I could be wrong though. It happens.
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Are we shooting from a treadmill?
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:20:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

No. From a plane attempting takeoff from a treadmill.
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:21:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This is where i say thanks for the explanation, and correct your grammar https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is where i say thanks for the explanation, and correct your grammar https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif

once i read the OP's title, i thought all bets were off.

True or False: A faster twist rate will allow a bullet to travel further.

further: degree

"i have to think this home purchase through a bit further before i lay out all that money."

farther: distance

"how much farther is it to home depot compared to lowes?"

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

is the plane on the treadmill or the shooter on the treadmill on a plane taking off?
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:23:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

is the plane on the treadmill or the shooter on the treadmill on a plane taking off?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget the magnets.
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:24:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is this treadmill in a zero gravity environment?
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The shooter is rolling down a grass hill in a tire.
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:24:37 PM EDT
[#23]
false:  faster twist rate helps the bullet tumble more violently when hitting human flesh, causing more pain and a slower death.  This, however, does not work with animals because the hide, fur, or thick skin slows the bullet enough that it doesn't tumble when used for hunting.  I learned this watching a Rep. Waxman news conference on CSPAN.
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:24:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The shooter is shooting from the door gunner position of a plane attempting to take off from a treadmill.  It should be noted that the shooter is also chewing on magnets.
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:25:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I answered false/won't change anything, but I could see the bullet that was fired out of the higher twist rate barrel going a bit less distance due to less velocity as it leaves the muzzle.

Why? I would assume it took a touch more energy to get it moving down the barrel since the twist is more aggressive.

View Quote

No you are not wrong.  The total energy in the round is constant, call it E. Energy is expended to push the bullet down the barrel ( Eb ) and to rotate the bullet (Er).

Eb + Er = E

It takes more energy to spin the bullet faster, no different than a merry go round. That means Er is increased and Eb is decreased.

Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I vote gravity.
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#28]
is it left hand twist or right hand twist?

T
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Velocity will affect when a bullet goes through the transonic region and possibly get 'upset'.  RPMs are needed to stabilize a bullet, but once stable, faster RPMs aren't needed, nor beneficial and can even over-stabilize a bullet, affecting performance by literally ripping the jacket off of the core, so spinning too fast ain't all that grand, either.

Velocity is King for distance.  RPM is the guy going around and picking up dog shit.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

"i have to think this home purchase through a bit further before i lay out all that money."

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True or False: A faster twist rate will allow a bullet to travel further.

ar-jedi

Damn.  I was just burned.  

I must be way out of practice not to have noticed that.  FML.  But, thanks for the correction.
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:29:32 PM EDT
[#31]
false more twist is more resistance coming out of barrel. only exception is if low twist cant stabilize bullet and it tumbles.

So like shooting a 77 gr 5.56 out of a 1:12 barrel will be slower than 1:8 because former will not stabilize projectile/

OTOH shooting a 55 gr 5.56 out of a 1:12 will be faster than a 1:8
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

T
View Quote

Depends if the bullet is right or left handed, silly.
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I would wonder if the faster twist would cause more resistance, which would slow the bullet down and make it go shorter.  (Probably not by much, but on a theoretical level)

My guess based upon nothing, is that a bullet travels furthest with the correct twist.  A light bullet would travel further with a 1:9 than a 1:7.

I heavy bullet would travel further with a 1:7 than a 1:9.

The correct stability allows it to travel the furthest.

If you have a bullet of a middle weight, where the ideal twist would be 1:8, then maybe the 1:9 offers less resistance out of the barrel (than 1:7) letting it travel further.  These all all assumptions, and I got a C in physics, so take it with a grain of salt.

Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:29:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

still kill someone in the direct lineage before disco.  Only before disco,  never after.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would just piss him off though cause then he'd be gunning for revenge. Youd need to hit his great grandpa during Reconstruction or something.
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
depends if you're shooting from the Northern or Southern Hemisphere
View Quote

Don't forget to factor in the coriolis effect and the rate of spin drift.
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#36]
what if you fired your bullet across the equator?
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:34:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

T
View Quote

Both barrels have the same direction of twist---RH and on the Northern Hemisphere.
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:43:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The shooter is shooting from the door gunner position of a plane attempting to take off from a treadmill.  It should be noted that the shooter is also chewing on magnets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neodymium Iron Boron, Samarium Cobalt, Alnico or Ceramic Ferrite?

Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:43:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Neodymium Iron Boron, Samarium Cobalt, Alnico or Ceramic or Ferrite?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neodymium Iron Boron, Samarium Cobalt, Alnico or Ceramic or Ferrite?

The refrigerator kind.
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:45:09 PM EDT
[#40]
False
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:46:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No you are not wrong.  The total energy in the round is constant, call it E. Energy is expended to push the bullet down the barrel ( Eb ) and to rotate the bullet (Er).

Eb + Er = E

It takes more energy to spin the bullet faster, no different than a merry go round. That means Er is increased and Eb is decreased.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eb + Er = E

This, although a higher twist rate will only take a marginal amount of energy compared to the energy pushing it.
It will be ever so slightly slower, ASSUMING equal energy in both systems (Low twist rate and high twist rate)
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

once past the muzzle, projectile rotational velocity degrades far, far slower than projectile linear velocity.

on this basis alone, rotational velocity has little bearing on range.  

holding the projectile and MV constant, range is affected more principally by air density.

ar-jedi

View Quote

This.

The spin is imparted for stability which affects accuracy.

Too slow a spin and the bullet can wobble.

Too fast and the bullet can shatter.

Generally speaking, there would be a "sweet spot" for each combination of barrel, caliber, bullet weight, and propellent charge.
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Once a bullet is rotating fast enough for it to be aerodynamically stable, any extra rotational velocity is just wasted energy.

Newton says no free lunches, bitches!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:55:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Here is some more food for thought on the subject:  In a vacuum, a projectiles maximum distance occurs when it is launched at 45 degrees from horizontal.  A bullet shot from a modern rifle carries the most distance when the initial angle is somewhere between 25 and 35 degrees.  Why is that?
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I would wonder if the faster twist would cause more resistance, which would slow the bullet down and make it go shorter.  (Probably not by much, but on a theoretical level)

My guess based upon nothing, is that a bullet travels furthest with the correct twist.  A light bullet would travel further with a 1:9 than a 1:7.

If you have a bullet of a middle weight, where the ideal twist would be 1:8, then maybe the 1:9 offers less resistance out of the barrel (than 1:7) letting it travel further.  These all all assumptions, and I got a C in physics, so take it with a grain of salt.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You are shooting a 69 grain Sierra Match King with loads such that both shoot at 2900 ft/s muzzle velocity.

Link Posted: 8/18/2013 3:59:39 PM EDT
[#47]
If the bullet was stable at both twist rates then no, not really.
If the bullet was tumbling at one twist rate and stable at the other then yes, due to different amounts of drag.
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 4:00:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Gravity

That is all.

Edit:  let me clarify if I wasn't clear with my snarky answer. Better stabilization will let you be more accurate at longer distances. As far as "more distance", The effects of increased drag and friction from an unstabilized bullets in regards to distance would be negligible between the two (Stabilized versus unstabilized). The greatest factor affecting the range of the bullet is gravity. The next greatest factor would be velocity (And initial velocity between the two would initially be the same).
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#49]
All things being equal, a faster twist rate increases friction on the bullet and uses more of the energy from the conflagurating powder charge to spin the round rather than increase its forward speed.

Case 1:  The bullet is under-stabilized in the slower twist.

In this case, a faster twist *MAY* reduce yaw and oscillation, resulting in less drag, and possibly further range.

Case  2:  The bullet is sufficiently stabilized, or over-stabilized already, in the slower twist barrel.

In this case, the bullet will definitely be over-stabilized in the faster twist rifiling, so it not only will start with a lower velocity, but it will not "trail", (fails to keep it's axis parallel with the particular part of the ballistic arc it is at), so it will have additional drag and not go as far.
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 4:03:47 PM EDT
[#50]
weight of bullet would play a huge role in this
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top