User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In the commercial 3/4 - 1ton market it certainly does.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The name Allison doesn't mean shit in the diesel world.

Also in the heavy equipment/ earth moving field
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Should have bought a Cummins
View Quote

Psh. Had that. 6.7. It liked to blow headgaskets. Didn't even have it long enough to pop the trans apart.

It was weak but pulled alright.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 5:19:35 PM EDT
[#3]

i guess my Sierra 1500 should have folded in half by now then
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Psh. Had that. 6.7. It liked to blow headgaskets. Didn't even have it long enough to pop the trans apart.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah bull

6.7 only pops head gasket if you use the exhaust brake with too much load behind it.

Most of the trouble with modern diesels are the emissions bullshit and the idiots that expect em to be sports cars
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 5:26:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ah bull

6.7 only pops head gasket if you use the exhaust brake with too much load behind it.

Most of the trouble with modern diesels are the emissions bullshit and the idiots that expect em to be sports cars
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah bull

It's a fucking exhaust BRAKE....when are you supposed to.use it?
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ah bull

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah bull

When do you use it then?

The raggedy duramax I got runs like a sports car and the exhaust brake works better than the cummins with no exploding in the motor.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 5:38:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
2011 2500 crew cab.  Every bell and whistle you can think of. I swear there is a blowjob attachment under the steering wheel the way he brags on that truck.

He bought a fishing boat last week, matching color scheme to the truck.  Very nice 20' Sea Fox with a custom graphics package and aluminum trailer.

On his very first try at towing he has blown the transmission. Fluid everywhere.  Did not even make it the 7 miles from the boat dealer to his house.  I don't even think there is any road on the way greater than a 45mph zone.

A frigging truck with only 41K of in-town driving. I don't even think he's put a 2'x4" in the bed before.  He's facing $3500 in repair costs according to the dealer, not to mention the embarrassment of having to call me to take his boat home while the wrecker dragged off his Chevy.

I REALLY hope he bought the extended warranty.  

View Quote

as the child of two retired gm employees ......ill never own one
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 5:40:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The fuck would I know, we only had a fleet of 60 trucks over the last two decades, which started out as Chevies and were replaced with Fords when the Chevies quickly became unserviceable. The Fords on average were lasting 200,000 for the gas and 300,000 for the diesel before we traded them in. The Chevies sucked.

That said, recent Ford diesels were shit so we just bought gas trucks and saved $8,000 up front.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds about right for a Chevy. Built for cruising but can't work for a living.

http://67.22.142.103/forum/images/smilies/jack.gif

Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay.

The fuck would I know, we only had a fleet of 60 trucks over the last two decades, which started out as Chevies and were replaced with Fords when the Chevies quickly became unserviceable. The Fords on average were lasting 200,000 for the gas and 300,000 for the diesel before we traded them in. The Chevies sucked.

That said, recent Ford diesels were shit so we just bought gas trucks and saved $8,000 up front.

What would I know, I only service about 200 Chevy Trucks and have driven fords most of my life.  They are both fine trucks, some year Models of Chevys have transmission problems not saying they dont.  The 2500 HD's do not have many problems
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I guess mine is just broke..
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/louisianarebel14/20130305_174059_zps6bbf9042.jpg

It has a 100k mile warranty. Unless he put a chip on it, which he probably did.
View Quote

Overloaded......
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Overloaded......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess mine is just broke..
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/louisianarebel14/20130305_174059_zps6bbf9042.jpg

It has a 100k mile warranty. Unless he put a chip on it, which he probably did.

Overloaded......

Always.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Damm based on the thread title and description I was hoping to see a boat floating and a truck under water
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 5:48:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yea, that's why the majority of trucks in the oilfield are Chevys.

Link Posted: 8/6/2013 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://67.22.142.103/forum/images/smilies/jack.gif

Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay.

You have no fucking idea what you are talking about. Once you actually work a truck, not watch other men work in the truck from a desk let us know.

Link Posted: 8/6/2013 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#14]
My DD is a 2011 2500HD LTZ gasser.  Have pulled my 20' boat among other things, no issues.
I also have a 2003 1 ton duramax dually.  I regularly pull a 25' gooseneck loaded with lots if heavy shit, mostly industrial equipment.  Same applies for my 25' enclosed gooseneck.  Never a problem towing.  

what's the tow mode derp about?  It allows the engine to rev higher between shifts, and down shifts for brake assistance.  Doesn't really matter if you use it or not.!?!?!
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Mostly engine/transmission issues (the old Chevy diesels were shit) and a lot of electrical system failures. They also couldn't carry the same amount of weight without something breaking, be it a spring pack or a bearing. They just weren't built as heavily--which is why they drive beautifully, especially the little ones. The gas Fords are great, just avoid the 6.0 diesel and you're good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In what way were they not serviceable?

Mostly engine/transmission issues (the old Chevy diesels were shit) and a lot of electrical system failures. They also couldn't carry the same amount of weight without something breaking, be it a spring pack or a bearing. They just weren't built as heavily--which is why they drive beautifully, especially the little ones. The gas Fords are great, just avoid the 6.0 diesel and you're good.

Yes the old Chevy's worth worthless, that changed when the Duramax came out.  The 6.0 fords had problems but they were and are correctable.  My brother drove his 6.0 to 245K where the head gasket blew he had the motor bullet proofed for 3500 and he is good for at least that many more.  One tranny rebuild in that time.  I work on lots of Duramax with over 250K same motor same Trans still going strong and these trucks are abused to hell and back.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My employer tries to mileage out their vehicles at 300k. The only trucks that have made it have been Chevys.
The rest have gotten traded off due to repair bills.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 6:06:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I bet he did not trun the over drive off.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I bet he did not trun the over drive off.
View Quote

Shouldn't matter. I've pulled big loads all day long with it in D and no tow haul.

And a bass boat is not a load for a 2500
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 6:13:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The name Allison doesn't mean shit in the diesel world.

Works pretty well in 68 ton m1 tanks also...
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 9:31:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yes the old Chevy's worth worthless, that changed when the Duramax came out.  The 6.0 fords had problems but they were and are correctable.  My brother drove his 6.0 to 245K where the head gasket blew he had the motor bullet proofed for 3500 and he is good for at least that many more.  One tranny rebuild in that time.  I work on lots of Duramax with over 250K same motor same Trans still going strong and these trucks are abused to hell and back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The trucks that left the bad taste in mouths around her were the late 90s ones. We have a couple of the newer ones, not really impressed but they haven't broken so they are still around.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 9:33:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You have no fucking idea what you are talking about. Once you actually work a truck, not watch other men work in the truck from a desk let us know.

View Quote

I had two trades before I got my current job, and did 2 years driving a light truck.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 9:35:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which oilfield? There are more than one. In the Canadian oilfields, near as I could tell, they are all Fords.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Details are lacking. This thread sucks donkey assholes
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 9:39:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What would I know, I only service about 200 Chevy Trucks and have driven fords most of my life.  They are both fine trucks, some year Models of Chevys have transmission problems not saying they dont.  The 2500 HD's do not have many problems
View Quote

Like I said, most of ours were older, we switched to Super Duties and have been very happy. Aside from replacing plugs and coil packs in the modulars there never was any problem that was systemic in them--and that was just a periodic thing. Some people claim trouble with the Ford 4R100 but the only one I've seen douched up of ours was in my personal Lightning, and that was my fault.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 9:41:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Shit happens on occasion.

I had a Z71 a long time ago that dropped the tranny at 64k. That sucked.

My current ride has been putting down 600 rwhp for 90k miles with only a water pump replacement, and I drive that sucker.

I'm done with gas powered trucks.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 9:44:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I read that as killed in his Chevy today... Imagine my relief when I read the OP!
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#27]
OP's buddy....

Link Posted: 8/6/2013 9:50:51 PM EDT
[#28]
So this is the thread in which we trash truck brands we do not, or no longer, own.

I got a Ram, so as far as I can tell, GM, Chevy, and Ford all suck!!!

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 6:40:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So this is the thread in which we trash truck brands we do not, or no longer, own.

I got a Ram, so as far as I can tell, GM, Chevy, and Ford all suck!!!

View Quote

I just sold my Ram and bought a Ford! And, my last Ford was a steaming pile of poo! So, there!
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:03:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Damm based on the thread title and description I was hoping to see a boat floating and a truck under water
View Quote

Hang around, the pissin' contest aint-over-yet....give it two more pages.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:18:45 AM EDT
[#31]
not a boat issue.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top