Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 8/5/2013 6:51:58 PM EDT
I find it funny and somewhat annoying that so many people are so caught up with mil-spec parts.  Don't get me wrong, mil-spec is good, it works, but there is better to be had.   Innovation is key, current mil-spec is overrated.  Mil-spec is easily surpassed.  Out with the old, in with the new.

"A man who is used to acting one way never changes; he must come to ruin when the times, in changing, no longer are in harmony with his ways." - Niccolo Machiavelli
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Prove it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#2]
TT thread. In before Grin
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:53:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, 13er.... Nobody has ever brought up this subject before!  You're a genius!
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#4]
IMO milspsc is basically a light machine gun that's way more than /I need
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:55:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Because they have never seen some of the 'mil spec' crap in use by the US military.

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:56:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Because most people don't know what a "mil-spec" is... Much less WHICH mil-spec(s)the part meets.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Mostly because it keeps everything standardized.

Ever heard of Colt......yeah that's why.

Let's see if the 13'er can figure out the Colt issue....
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:57:19 PM EDT
[#8]
It works.

As a young dumb kid I bought lots of parts for my car that all turned out to be inferior to Ford-spec.  Now I just use OEM and I am happy
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I find it funny and somewhat annoying that so many people are so caught up with mil-spec parts.  Don't get me wrong, mil-spec is good, it works, but there is better to be had.   Innovation is key, current mil-spec is overrated.  Mil-spec is easily surpassed.  Out with the old, in with the new.

"A man who is used to acting one way never changes; he must come to ruin when the times, in changing, no longer are in harmony with his ways." - Niccolo Machiavelli
View Quote

Mil-spec is a standard. It's a starting point. The bottom floor so to speak.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Because i'd feel safer shooting people in the face using a colt fcg than something nobody knows what is
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, this should be quite an entertaining thread.

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#12]
It's a known standard.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not claiming to be the first to bring it up.  It is annoying when people's rifle are brutally criticized for not being MIL-SPEC.  My not mil-spec rifle is more accurate, much more accurate, more ergonomic, smoother, and just as reliable as my mil-spec rig.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 6:59:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Because it says....

MIL

and

SPEC

and that translates to...

AWESOME

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:00:00 PM EDT
[#15]
LOL.......they have been tested - they work

Ever shoot a non-milspec gun?

Many, many models don't reliably go "bang" when you want....

/thread

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#16]
My 70 y/o mom is very proud of her mils spec cell phone.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Because, at the minimum,  being mil spec means that it should be of a known, measurable quality, in fit,  finish, and material.  

If I know a weapon conforms to mil spec, then I am reasonably assured any mil spec replacement parts should fit and work without second thought.  I don't want to be stuck having only one source for compatible parts.. I want a good universal fit.

Now, it doesn't mean I won't accept better quality should I be able to get it.. and I think the same goes for most mil spec folks. It just means we have a minimum standard that we want to start from..
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:01:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:01:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I expected this thread from a Kali person, not someone from our Heartland.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Post THE CHART!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:02:02 PM EDT
[#21]
There are mil spec materials

There are mil spec machining tolerances

There are mil spec machined surface finishes

There are mil spec heat treatments

There are mil spec passivation processes for corrosion protection

When someone claims to sell "mil-spec" components, it could mean they meet any of the above, but not necessarily all of the above.

Buyer beware.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm not claiming to be the first to bring it up.  It is annoying when people's rifle are brutally criticized for not being MIL-SPEC.  My not mil-spec rifle is more accurate, much more accurate, more ergonomic, smoother, and just as reliable as my mil-spec rig.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Why are you in love with BOY PARTS.....
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Op is talking about his "super expensive" ar

Check out op genius here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/617203_SUPER_EXPENSIVE_AR__over__3000__PICTURE_THREAD.html
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#25]
If you are talking about AR15's or M16's then realize that no matter what some manufacturer says about their shit parts it is only mil spec if the part is made by FN or Colt.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:04:14 PM EDT
[#26]
OP, your thread fucking sucks, and this isn't an airsoft forum.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not that commercial ARs are bad; most non-mil-spec ARs work just fine under normal conditions, and 99% of shooters will never notice the difference.  It's that during prolonged high-stress use mil-spec parts are much less likely to fail than non-mil-spec parts.  Statistics, and all that.

Now, you can argue that it's not really worth the extra cost for non-military/LEO individuals to own one, and you'd be correct in most situations.  But mil-spec parts cost more for a reason.

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Post THE CHART!!
View Quote

Yes, yes, THE CHART!!!  Oracle of Truth!!

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's a known standard.
View Quote

This.

What is a rifles job?

Reliably put rounds on target. Mil-spec is a know standard that has 40 years of data gathering and solid performance.  

OP is just mad he threw money away
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote
A 13'er talking about being annoyed!

Ironic.

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Consistency.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/617203_SUPER_EXPENSIVE_AR__over__3000__PICTURE_THREAD.html
View Quote

We should all line up and see who can pee the farthest.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Ain't Colt?

Ain't shit.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:07:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I will never own a Colt.  Colt has made some of the best revolvers, but I believe Colt is an unoriginal company who got rich off of the AR15 and the 1911, both designs from other people, without bring anything new and innovative to the table.  The owners of Colt probably spend their days poolside at the country club, while guys like John Paul of JP rifles spend his free time at the range deciding how to make guns better.  Innovation and perfection.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It works.

As a young dumb kid I bought lots of parts for my car that all turned out to be inferior to Ford-spec.  Now I just use OEM and I am happy
View Quote

But why buy a Ford, when you can buy a Ferrari??
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I will never own a Colt.  Colt has made some of the best revolvers, but I believe Colt is an unoriginal company who got rich off of the AR15 and the 1911, both designs from other people, without bring anything new and innovative to the table.  The owners of Colt probably spend their days poolside at the country club, while guys like John Paul of JP rifles spend his free time at the range deciding how to make guns better.  Innovation and perfection.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay, what was your username before you got banned the last time?  

I predict Nor_Cal will find him to be...familiar.

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:09:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I find it funny and somewhat annoying that so many people are so caught up with other people's rifle parts.  Don't get me wrong, other people's rifle parts are good, but there are better to be had.  Innovation is key, other people's rifle parts are overrated.  Other people's rifle parts are easily surpassed.  Out with the old, in with the new.  My rifle knowledge and budget is far superior to anyone elses.  Bow to your new internet gun board overlord.

"Blah, blah, blah"
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It works.

In Oklahoma if you own a Ferrari they let you manage the trailer park.  At least until you piss away all of your lotto winnings.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

/thread

View Quote

I would bet my life on my non-MIL-SPEC rifle just as fast or quicker than my Mil-spec rifle.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#40]
because when I stick my balls in your face from a blown out crotch you can't say its gay because thats a god damn fucking feature of mil spec pants bitch.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:12:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Read his other crap.

Fuckin 13er.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Because, at the minimum,  being mil spec means that it should be of a known, measurable quality, in fit,  finish, and material.  

If I know a weapon conforms to mil spec, then I am reasonably assured any mil spec replacement parts should fit and work without second thought.  I don't want to be stuck having only one source for compatible parts.. I want a good universal fit.

Now, it doesn't mean I won't accept better quality should I be able to get it.. and I think the same goes for most mil spec folks. It just means we have a minimum standard that we want to start from..
View Quote

Now this makes sense.  Someone who actually has a valid reason for why mil-spec is important to him.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#43]
"Mil-Spec"

true mil-spec is a very high standard...

there is a reason that for the most part Colt guns have less QC problems than other brands considering the numbers they put out...

can not speak to other industries but in the firearms realm "Mil-Spec" is constantly changing and stays top of its class

now just because someone claims they made their part to a "Mil-Spec" does not mean that they followed the prints exactly...
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I would bet my life on my non-MIL-SPEC rifle just as fast or quicker than my Mil-spec rifle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

/thread

How many times?

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It works.

Because the Ford works

* I actually worked at a Ferrari dealership as a teen
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:18:56 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote

Oh, that dude.

Doesn't OP get raped a little in each one of the threads that he starts?

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Now don't rip me up guys just Trina learn but whats athirteener? My guess is that it is someone who joined the forum in 2013 which make me a thirteener but I could be wrong lol
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View Quote
Apparently went with the "every tacticool piece I can find" method of building a rifle.

And wasn't there a thread about having the break inside the rail like that? It didn't go so well if I remember right.

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Now don't rip me up guys just Trina learn but whats athirteener? My guess is that it is someone who joined the forum in 2013 which make me a thirteener but I could be wrong lol
View Quote
Who's Trina?
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This.

What is a rifles job?

Reliably put rounds on target. Mil-spec is a know standard that has 40 years of data gathering and solid performance.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a known standard.

This.

What is a rifles job?

I'm dying to see your rifles.  I'm sure they shear perfection, are 150% reliable, and shoot  0 MOA groups @ 1000 yds.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top