User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 33
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wrong.

For some of us, DE's are NOT better. I used one for years, lying to myself about how much better of a shave I was getting. I used a badger hair brush and a quality glycerine-based shave soap (still do) and you know what? It gave me a sub-standard shave and every few months a really nasty, painful, infected ingrown hair. Switched back to a Gillette Fusion Pro Glide and I get the best shave I've ever had, with little to no irritation, and best of all, no infected ingrown hairs.

Fuck double edge safety razors.

In fact, that reminds me, I've got two vintage Gillette adjustable DE's that need to go off to eBay...
View Quote

What Gilletes do you have? IM is fine.
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 11:36:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Like in this thread?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretentious bullshit.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. For some people they actually work well. Where the pretentious bullshit comes in is the lemmings who elevate them to something they are not and rabidly jump on anyone who dares offer a differing opinion/experience.

Like in this thread?

This guy gets it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 11:38:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Everyone has different skin...different product for different skin types...this is  not rocket science..
View Quote

How DARE you inject logic into this purse fight!
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 12:03:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Let me guess, you think your neck starts at your jawline, right?

View Quote

...Yes?

I started this thread to be helpful and all that resulted was me finding out that I'm a pretentious Hipster with an out of spec beard.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 12:05:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
OP, for the love of God, upgrade your blades to something decent.  
View Quote

While I've had no problems with the Swords, they were recommended simply because they are the only known widely available DE blades.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 12:07:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I ordered a Merkur 180 and a 10 pack of feather blades. it will be here monday. if this shit sucks you're gonna hear about it.
View Quote

Well, you ordered top quality equipment, so any poor results will be entirely your fault.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 12:11:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What's the best de razor under 30 bucks for a beginner.
View Quote

My overall favorite razor is the Merkur 1904 replica, open comb variant and this site has it for well under $30 shipped.

Link Posted: 8/3/2013 12:21:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I have razors coming out my asshole.... no need to switch, they work fine.

http://www.dollarshaveclub.com/
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 12:27:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I just get disposable razors and shave with them.  Don't see what the big deal is.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 12:36:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Have tried the safety razor and currently use a disposable.  Had some bad luck with the neck area last time I used the safety.

The cream I use is much more important.  Use Proraso but just tried Taylor of Old Bond Street and like it a bit better.  The creams are cheaper than the crap in a can at the supermarket.  They last like a year if you use them right.  Cost around 15 bucks.

I have not used the brush for some time and can not say it makes a difference either way for sure.  Let the cream sit on your face for a couple minutes before shaving and soak your face with hot water before that.  I shave in the shower and that helps too.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 12:44:47 AM EDT
[#11]

This thread is interesting to me. Though I cant remember the last time I shaved my face. I have that whole shaved head with a gray grizzly adams thing going on. I grew up with my dad using a safety razor back in the day. When I started shaving, it was with a cartridge. When I feel the need to start shaving again, I think I will give it a try. What the hell.

Link Posted: 8/3/2013 12:59:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Have tried the safety razor and currently use a disposable.  Had some bad luck with the neck area last time I used the safety.

The cream I use is much more important.  Use Proraso but just tried Taylor of Old Bond Street and like it a bit better.  The creams are cheaper than the crap in a can at the supermarket.  They last like a year if you use them right.  Cost around 15 bucks.

I have not used the brush for some time and can not say it makes a difference either way for sure.  Let the cream sit on your face for a couple minutes before shaving and soak your face with hot water before that.  I shave in the shower and that helps too.
View Quote

no joke - was like shaving with the tears of a virgin

https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/shave-butter
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 1:21:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Like I said earlier, shave with whatever works best for you.

But honestly, go back and take a look at some of the pics that have been posted. Who the fuck has or takes the time to use all that shit on their face just for a shave?

I'm sure a lot of y'all must be very pretty and must take special care to remain so. That's cool.

All I want is to shave the fucking stubble off for another day.

And no, I'm not pretty by any stretch.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 1:36:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

But honestly, go back and take a look at some of the pics that have been posted. Who the fuck has or takes the time to use all that shit on their face just for a shave?

I'm sure a lot of y'all must be very pretty and must take special care to remain so. That's cool.

View Quote

Honestly, it takes no longer to use a DE than a mach 3 unless you want it to take longer. All that stuff? Cream, blade, aftershave? Not sure what you mean by "all that shit".

Link Posted: 8/3/2013 1:44:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Honestly, it takes no longer to use a DE than a mach 3 unless you want it to take longer. All that stuff? Cream, blade, aftershave? Not sure what you mean by "all that shit".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at all that gear in the pics on the previous pages. Brushes, soaps, powders, ointments, salves, unguents, lotions, perfumes.

Again, not hating, just don't understand why all that's needed for a simple shave.

And I don't get using aftershave either. Why in God's name splash scented alcohol on your face right after shaving??? Sure it hurts. Maybe even good. But still..
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 1:50:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hipster bullshit, yet again.

Hot water, soap, shaving cream, Fusion.

Y'all make me laugh, not to mention question your standing with all this, "Ohhhh, one blade, lotions, whisks, more lotions, love me, kiss my face..."

Any of you ever been exposed to the sun?

Waaay too much time spent analyzing every aspect of "how do I shave?"...

fuck man...

SHAVE
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 2:44:05 AM EDT
[#17]
The razor is back in stock for $2.55 shipped in OP.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 2:46:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Man, your beard must be made of barbed-fucking-wire or something.  I got a Fusion razor free in the mail one day and liked it.  I can EASILY get a month out of a single blade cartridge.  I use whatever shaving cream is on sale, or I just use soap.  Sometimes, I just fucking take the thing into the fucking shower with me and shave with my fucking shampoo.   Y'all are WAY over-thinking this shit here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And yet those Fusion blades will last for a solid month, easily.

As opposed to any safety razor blade that's good for two, maybe three days.

Truly not hating. Shave or not, however you want.

But safety razors < Fusion.

Bull-Fucking Shit.   Prior to switching I used the 'Fusion' system and at best could expect 4-5 shaves out of a cartridge before it was so dull my face would pay for it. Cuts, razor burn, ingrown hairs, etc; at $3 a cartridge I'd try to stretch out each one as much as possible.

When I switched, it took me about 2 weeks to get accustomed to using a DE but my blades, (I only use Yellow box Feathers,) last 5-8 shaves before they need to go. Difference is Feather blades are about $.50 a pop and those are the most expensive DE blades out there some are as cheap as $.10 a blade. If you can't use a DE its not the end of the world, I feel for you though as being corn-holed by Gillette sucks but stop saying people that use DE are 'hipsters' or pretentious.

Fact is, our grandfather's generation pretty much perfected shaving way back in the day and even with modern tech it can't be improved upon. Until someone comes up with the laser-razor, we're stuck.

Man, your beard must be made of barbed-fucking-wire or something.  I got a Fusion razor free in the mail one day and liked it.  I can EASILY get a month out of a single blade cartridge.  I use whatever shaving cream is on sale, or I just use soap.  Sometimes, I just fucking take the thing into the fucking shower with me and shave with my fucking shampoo.   Y'all are WAY over-thinking this shit here.

I can only get about 3 shaves out of a cartridge. Even then, my face is irritated and bleeding.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 3:25:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Look at all that gear in the pics on the previous pages. Brushes, soaps, powders, ointments, salves, unguents, lotions, perfumes.

Again, not hating, just don't understand why all that's needed for a simple shave.

And I don't get using aftershave either. Why in God's name splash scented alcohol on your face right after shaving??? Sure it hurts. Maybe even good. But still..
View Quote

I don't know if you are just being purposefully obtuse or what, but .... I think it's obvious all of the accoutrements are OPTIONAL.

There are only 2 things required for a good shave from a DE razor:

(1) a quality DE razor (preferably Merkur, Edwin Jagger, Muhle, Parker, etc), and

(2) some decent blades (Feather, Derby, Astra, Personna, Shark, etc) ... and quite possibly some nice soap or cream unless you want to use the 10W-30 motor oil, to which you have grown so accustomed.

Look, you obviously don't give a fuck about trying something new or LEARNING about something that has been great for other people, so why even post in the thread in first place? You just want to create signal noise?

Why even hate on something that you haven't tried in the first place?
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 6:23:46 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

...Yes?

I started this thread to be helpful and all that resulted was me finding out that I'm a pretentious Hipster with an out of spec beard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me guess, you think your neck starts at your jawline, right?

...Yes?

Link Posted: 8/3/2013 6:58:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My overall favorite razor is the Merkur 1904 replica, open comb variant and this site has it for well under $30 shipped.

http://www.royalshave.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/HR_401-021-00_merkur-1904-41c-safety-razor-2013_340x255.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the best de razor under 30 bucks for a beginner.

http://www.royalshave.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/HR_401-021-00_merkur-1904-41c-safety-razor-2013_340x255.jpg

What is the purpose of the comb on those razors?
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 7:02:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 7:03:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

My grandfather shaved with one, my father shaved with one, and I've been using one for thirty years. So now I'm a hipster? Are you sure you've got a grasp on that word?
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 7:04:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What is the purpose of the comb on those razors?
View Quote

The open comb allows the hair direct access to the blade, making it possible to shave anything from light stubble to a full on beard without trimming it first.

The safety bar version tends to fold longer hair down making it harder to cut, like a cartridge razor does.

If you shave everyday or so it doesn't matter.

The 1904 comes in a closed comb variant as well for the same price.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 7:09:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Something to keep in mind if I ever work for less than minimum wage again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
6 YEARS worth of blades for 11$

Something to keep in mind if I ever work for less than minimum wage again.

There is something to be said about the Prepper/SHTF capability of a DE razor.

The low cost and individually wrapped in corrosion resistant paper blades make for the perfect hoarding supplies.

No hairy legged post-Apocalyptic chicks for me!
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 7:12:45 AM EDT
[#26]
I use one and have found I get a closer shave, less cuts and less razor burn with it, and I am a cheap guy who didn't buy a good shaving brush.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 7:19:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
OP, for the love of God, upgrade your blades to something decent.  

These are cheaper than you Wilkinson blades and so much better.

http://www.amazon.com/Astra-Superior-Premium-Platinum-Double/dp/B001QY8QXM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375454312&sr=8-1&keywords=Astra+SP

This goes double for the poster shaving with a freaking Merkur Vision.
View Quote

I use the Astra blades as well.

Is there something wrong with Merkur, or just that model? I see the Vision is ridiculously priced but I have a model 180 and it seems to work great.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 7:21:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I don't know if you are just being purposefully obtuse or what, but .... I think it's obvious all of the accoutrements are OPTIONAL.

(1) a quality DE razor (preferably Merkur, Edwin Jagger, Muhle, Parker, etc), and
(2) some decent blades (Feather, Derby, Astra, Personna, Shark, etc) ... and quite possibly some nice soap or cream unless you want to use the 10W-30 motor oil, to which you have grown so accustomed.

Look, you obviously don't give a fuck about trying something new or LEARNING about something that has been great for other people, so why even post in the thread in first place? You just want to create signal noise?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

It all comes down to what works and why.   The cartridge razors are great for a quick, decent shave but they give me razor burn like all hell.   Electrics are great for convenience.   But DE shaving can be one of life's little luxuries.  Take your time, do it right and nothing will shave your face closer.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 7:25:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

My grandfather shaved with one, my father shaved with one, and I've been using one for thirty years. So now I'm a hipster? Are you sure you've got a grasp on that word?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course not.  You're a grown man doing what's always worked for you.

Just like nobody would call you a hipster if you've been wearing a fedora your entire adult life.

But if you were a younger guy that just started wearing one and ran to GD to extoll its undeniable virtues and call everyone else lemmings.....

You'd be a fucking hipster.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 7:33:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Panasonic Arc4 because life is too short to spend time more time shaving manually.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 7:34:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I already shave with a DE Safety razor. I started out with the double/triple razors in my teens... then moved up to quads, then on to electric for several years. Then decided to try the DE Safety razor and I'm like... WTF... who the hell decided to reinvent the wheel?

I use a Merkur DE safety razor and it gives me the best shave I've ever had and doesn't cause irritation. Cheaper too.
View Quote

Same here...then I stepped up my game and started shaving with a straight razor.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 7:35:19 AM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 8/3/2013 7:40:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You shouldn't necessarily be using an alcohol aftershave if you want to use an aftershave. Alcohol aftershaves are basically disinfectant but alcohol on wounds actually slows healing and causes irritation.

I have a drugstore brand knockoff of the Nivea sensitive skin aftershave balm. Smells good, cuts down on the irritation after moving a blade across my skin, and helps moisturize after the shaving cream (which is after all a soap) washes away the natural oils.  There are varieties of aftershavefor all kinds of skin from dry to oily, and you can pay anything from a few bucks for a decent amount like I did up to just about whatever you want to pay. I got some sample packs of a L'Occitane Cade aftershave balm which feels and smells pretty damn good but at $30 for a 2.5oz tube it's a little too rich for my blood right now.

Or you could just not use it and be fine. Everybody's a little bit different and a lot of any kind of hygiene is what you get used to.

And as far as using a DE razor, you can use the standard gel or cream from the can or even nothing more than water and still get good results, or you can make a big deal out of it with $40 tallow soap and a special wooden bowl and a silvertip badger brush with a mammoth ivory handle and prayers to the shaving gods if you want. Some people like having an activity that they can collect fancy little items and perform little procedures. It can be kind of meditative even, getting into the ritual. Just like there's plenty of people who get 20 different ARs with different rails and accessories and calibers and lovingly and ritualistically clean them even if they haven't been used and craft wooden display holders for them, and plenty of people who have one AR and maybe take it to the range once a year, and plenty of people who never shoot a gun in their life. Or people who drop a hundred grand on speakers, turntable, gold-plated cables, what have you, vs. the people who play MP3s off Windows Media Player over their dollar store computer speakers.

Anybody who tells you that everybody needs a high-end whatsit to truly enjoy life is lying, but there are people out there who will find greater fulfillment in any given thing with the experience said expensive whatsit gives. And maybe it's worth it to you to keep on using a cartridge or electric razor and not drop the five bucks on a cheap safety razor with a pack of blades to test it out, and maybe you'd find shaving a better thing if you tried it. I don't know, and neither does anybody else besides you.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 7:42:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Because I am not a hipster.

ETA damit way late with the hipster comment. lol

Anyway OP use what works for you. I will use what works for me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 7:57:30 AM EDT
[#35]
I order my razors from Dorco.  $25 for 4-5 months of blades.  I own a safety razor and like them, but in a rush the cartridge razors work better.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 7:58:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Lol, I shave my head.

You rinse your cartridges with alcohol and dry them off, they last a lot longer.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 8:00:24 AM EDT
[#37]
My beard was born December of 1990, it will be on my face until I die.

Neck and cheeks are maintained using cheap single blade disposables using hot water and regular bar soap.

Beard is kept groomed with a Norelco beard trimmer.

That said, I can give a rats ass how others groom themselves.

But I do find it comical the lengths, and cost, some folks go for a simple grooming project.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 8:17:57 AM EDT
[#38]
meh,  i use a DE at home and use an Atra when traveling.  

The DE is cheap and works pretty good.  i have to work harder to get as good a shave as the atra with some DE blades.  Some DE blades are better than others,  the japanese feather blades are quite good and give me as good a shave as the cartridge.  They're about a tenth of the cost of the cartridges.  Hell even my cartridge razor isn't being supported by Gillette anymore.  They went with more new fangled and more expensive with no real reason for it.  

I don't have to get on a soapbox.  I just use what I want and you use what you want.   I can use a fifteen to twenty cent blade for a week.  I don't nick myself but I have when was trying the DE for the first time.  yea, you don't accidentally move it sideways.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 8:19:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

well that would cut down on the hemhorroids?
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 9:00:18 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View Quote
Holy shit, I almost want to buy something from them just because of this!

Link Posted: 8/3/2013 9:08:00 AM EDT
[#41]
I normally shave with an electric for the expediency, but have a Gillette Mach 3 for when I feel the need to get a much closer shave.  Having almost had a coronary after seeing the price of replacement blades these days, I've been seriously considering the single-/double-bladed safety razors.

Saw one on the Duluth Trading site, and another in the better half's Vermont Country Store catalog, and am very tempted to get myself one (and the shaving soap, and the mug).

Got to get to educating myself on these little beauties.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 9:28:17 AM EDT
[#42]
I don't have time for all that retro BS. I learned a long time ago to shave in the shower... using a good gel and a Gillette Fusion, I get a great shave, takes a few minutes and I get a month out of the blade( I shave daily)

I've heard it described by those who subscribe to the safety razors as an "relaxing experience"...

Well, I do not have the time to invest in that "experience" every morning.

I think the key is to make sure that you clean off the cartridge very well and the water blast from the shower head does that. Just swishing the blade in a sink full of warm water does not cut it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 9:35:43 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

But I do find it comical the lengths, and cost, some folks go for a simple grooming project.
View Quote

Others have said it better, but, basically, it's not just a "simple grooming project" to me. Maybe it is to some other DE shavers, and that's their thing.  

The reason some people spend a lot for a nice DE Razor is b/c they last for decades. I will probably have my Muhle for the rest of my life, unless it gets stolen. If I'm going to keep a razor for that long, why not have something nice?

Personally, I like a few luxuries in life and enjoy pampering myself a little. Shaving soaps are a fairly inexpensive luxury, compared to buying a $300 bottle of scotch like some of my acquaintances.

I like quality shaving soaps and creams and putting on a splash of nice aftershave or cologne before going out for a drink.

What's so wrong with that?

Why does a man capriciously become "metro," or whatever the term du jour is nowadays, for liking a nice aftershave or a quality shaving soap made with sandalwood, citrus, menthol, other other notes?

Plus, I've never known a quality women who didn't like a well-groomed, clean-cut, and clean-shaven man.

Link Posted: 8/3/2013 9:40:39 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Well, I do not have the time to invest in that "experience" every morning.

View Quote

Shaving with a DE doesn't have to take any longer than using a Mach 3. I know because I've used one for years until I made the switch.

Their "shaving rituals" are probably spent during the weekends or the evenings. I also naturally get up around 5:30 - 6:00 each morning, so I have more time than someone who tends to sleep in till the last minute.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 9:42:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Three Reasons:

1. dollarshaveclub.com

2. I don't show up at work with a bloody face

3. Shaving is not an "experience" for me. I want it done quick, safe, and fast.

This is simply "what is old is new again". No old-timer that grew up using DE razors still use them. The whole idea of getting a slightly closer shave in exchange for a way to easily cut yourself is silly.

More power to the DE shavers, but I'll stick with cartridges.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#46]
I can get 2-3 weeks from a Shick Hydro 5. I shave daily for work. I don't have 30 minutes to do it and generally shave in the shower. You can have the safety blades.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shave?

Link Posted: 8/3/2013 9:58:05 AM EDT
[#48]

Even a 3-day growth will clog a cartridge in one pass for me - then it is nearly useless. If I go over the same area 10 times it might get sort of close.

5 min. from starting the lather I can have a neat shave even after 10 days growth with a safety razor.

I prefer the Gillette 7'oclock sharp edge (has to be the yellow box!!)- they are one SLIGHT tick down from a Feather so you don't have to cork them etc.

reviews:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/66147-Gillette-7-O-clock-Sharp-Edge?ltr=G
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 10:00:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Close shaves are for pussies. Be moar kick ass.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 10:02:58 AM EDT
[#50]
The irony of a majority of people on a website dedicated to a rifle designed in the 1960s, which most are fans of a pistol designed in the early 1900s, calling a DE razor outdated, but their 1960s rifle and 1900s handgun are top tier cutting edge pieces of technology.
Page / 33
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top