Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2013 7:01:03 PM EDT
Vic Mackey was unavailable for comment.

SCOTIA- Donald Andrews, Jr. operates a so-called smoke shop on Mohawk Avenue in Scotia.

It sells incense and other smoking paraphernalia, legal stuff but material that might also be re-purposed for other illicit activities.

Scotia and Schenectady County police became suspicious and targeted Andrews's shop, sending an undercover informant in twice in March.

The second time, Andrews's attorney Kevin Luibrand does play by play that appears to show the informant planting, then photographing crack cocaine that led to Andrews arrest.

"He comes in," Luibrand narrated over video shot on in-store surveillance cameras. "Places the crack on the counter. Crack, which under federal sentencing guidelines, would get him 4 years in jail. Under New York State law would get him 2 to 7 years in jail."

There are seven cameras in plain view in Andrews small store.

Members of the Schenectady chapter of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference viewed the apparent framing of an African-American businessman and were outraged.

"It was a set-up and I believe that he was racially profiled and targeted," said Treasure Clayton. "It would be easy for them to say that he was selling drugs because he was black."

Neither the Schenectady County Sheriff nor the Scotia Police Chief were available to be interviewed about the apparent planting of evidence.

By phone the Sheriff acknowledged proper procedures were not followed but denied his investigators purposely framed the suspect.

The Sheriff blamed the informant, who has taken flight.

Andrews was arrested but released when he was able to get police to look at the multiple camera angles.

He's taken the first step toward filing a lawsuit for wrongful arrest.

http://wnyt.com/article/stories/s3107069.shtml

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:05:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Track his fucking ass down and give him the full sentence for the "crime" reported

which should be standard procedure for anyone making false accusations to law enforcement.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a good thing he had cameras.  
I wonder how many would be free if they'd had them as well.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#3]
They're stupid. They think the cops went after the guy because he was black, not because he sells crack pipes. Whatever.

I'd be more interested in the informant's motive. He may have done it because he's a bigot. He may have had dealings with the store in the past and wanted to get even. There is always the possibility that one of the detectives told him to do it, which is almost certainly what he will say when he gets caught.

Follow up will be interesting.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#4]
War on Drugs!

...waste of money, destroyer of individual liberty. It's great at keeping the courts, jails, and prisons full, justifying law enforcement budgets, SWAT teams, armored military vehicles, and the violation of constitutional rights.  It also keeps organized crime in business, and increases violence.  One of the best fertilizers of big government!

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#5]
By phone the Sheriff acknowledged proper procedures were not followed but denied his investigators purposely framed the suspect.
View Quote

Damn right. I'm sure proper procedures include making sure all video evidence of planting drugs is destroyed.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Damn right. I'm sure proper procedures include making sure all video evidence of planting drugs is destroyed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I guess his investigators mistakenly framed the suspect..
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 9:14:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I'd be more interested in the informant's motive.

View Quote

$$$ and favors would be my guess.

That seems to be the norm when informers do shady shit like this. Offer shitbags some $$$ if they bring you a bust and they will make sure that someone gets busted.

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 9:17:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That seems to be the norm when informers do shady shit like this. Offer shitbags some $$$ if they bring you a bust and they will make sure that someone gets busted.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree.

I'd get him to turn states evidence and SUE the popo big time.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Less than five miles from me.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Probably a lot.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Except that informants like this are simply ordinary citzens and not 'investigators'.

And the 'investigators' clearly did frame the 'suspect'.

ETA: I was replying to the post you quoted,not your reply.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:08:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Probably a lot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably a lot.

Nonsense, this is probably the only time this has happened.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:34:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let him off some other charge, maybe. I doubt they pay cash. Besides, getting a drug charge dropped is worth a lot more than whatever they've got in petty cash.

One thing I will grant New York State: the state will review all their cases. I remember when they investigated every case written by the testilying guys. There will be a major expense and a major court overload while they reopen cases to see if informants planted the evidence,. Probably a few people who really did it will get exonerated because some jerk wanted an extra bust. Nice going, morons.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:46:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 2:26:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Usually the informant has other charges or potential charges pending. Usually he is caught possessing something serious, like crack, or selling some kind of drugs, and told he is supposed to set up three buys and if he is he will not be charged. This is done constantly with no thought given to the unreliability of building arrests on these criminal drug addicts.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Usually the informant has other charges or potential charges pending. Usually he is caught possessing something serious, like crack, or selling some kind of drugs, and told he is supposed to set up three buys and if he is he will not be charged. This is done constantly with no thought given to the unreliability of building arrests on these criminal drug addicts.  

edit sometimes they are also paid, but that is much less frequent.

Gosh, this War on Drugs is swell!

Link Posted: 7/28/2013 2:48:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Hunt the fucking informant down and hang him, then see sig line.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 3:05:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup. And this was nothing compared to Schenectady PD about 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 3:35:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How soon until they start doing this sort of crap to nail people violating the Safe Act?
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 4:18:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 9:00:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean when the Feds were close to taking over because the corruption was so rampant at all levels? Yeah I remember it well.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 9:06:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Within the year would be my guess.  

There is already one guy where an undercover cop said he would buy a gun then waited until the safe was enacted to complete the deal so he could arrest the guy under the new law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How soon until they start doing this sort of crap to nail people violating the Safe Act?
Within the year would be my guess.  

There is already one guy where an undercover cop said he would buy a gun then waited until the safe was enacted to complete the deal so he could arrest the guy under the new law.

Yeah, an injunction can't come quick enough. You have a state full of law abiding gun owners living in fear and on pins and needles waiting to learn what the aw will be, if they need to dispose of their collections at a loss, move them out of state, or register and wait for the knock on the door to seize them. Those that don't register will spend their days fearing loose lips, a vengeful ex, a brainwashed kid, or a friend who gets busted and flips.

My shits leaving the state if we can't win in court. The local cops and DAs may or may not enforce depending on circumstances, but the state will go full bore on us.

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Haaaaaaaate NY
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 9:08:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Change your thread title, informants are not agents of a department.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 9:11:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There are seven cameras in plain view in Andrews small store.
View Quote

TheGrayMan will be very pleased when he reads that.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 9:14:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

This is a system that law enforcement uses.  They bust a guy for drugs.  Tell him unless he gets several other drug busts he's going down.  Yeah, "not an agent of the department", maybe we should just call them "contractors", since there is clearly a "contract" between them and the police.    
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This is a system that law enforcement uses.  They bust a guy for drugs.  Tell him unless he gets several other drug busts he's going down.  Yeah, "not an agent of the department", maybe we should just call them "contractors", since there is clearly a "contract" between them and the police.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first thing the DAs office tells them is they aren't cops they aren't part of any department.  They are simply dirtbags giving up info or doing buys.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 9:20:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Schenectady? Corruption?

This is my shocked face
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 9:20:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 9:22:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The first thing the DAs office tells them is they aren't cops they aren't part of any department.  They are simply dirtbags giving up info or doing buys.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the DA entrusts the "dirtbags" to go in and do what is essentially undercover police work and then people are surprised it ends this way.  The only reason the owner is a free man is because he had video.  Otherwise he would be rotting in prison and everything he owned would be taken away from him.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 9:23:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Death penalty. I'm not kidding.

Framing innocent people to put them on the wrong side of the law is worthy of capital punishment IMO.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 9:25:06 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

So the DA entrusts the "dirtbags" to go in and do what is essentially undercover police work and then people are surprised it ends this way.  The only reason the owner is a free man is because he had video.  Otherwise he would be rotting in prison and everything he owned would be taken away from him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good point.  

Also not everyone busted by the police is a "dirtbag".  Some are busted using very bad laws.  That doesn't necessarily make them a saint, sinner,  or "dirtbag".  But nice generalization.  I guess "whatever helps you sleep at night" should be added to "whatever it takes to get home safe"

Link Posted: 7/28/2013 9:25:50 AM EDT
[#31]
They need to burn that motherfucker at the stake
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 9:49:03 AM EDT
[#32]
A similar thing happened at my friends' bar many years ago.  One of their bouncers was arrested for transporting several kilos of cocaine, and he said my friends put him up to it.  Thanks to the hidden surveillance system in their office, that bouncer was shown just tossing an ounce and a half of grass and some coke on the desk.  This was literally seconds before the DEA raided the place with local law enforcement.
Want to know the kicker?  The DEA tried to say that the hidden surveillance footage was not admissible as evidence.  They forgot the fact that every entrance to the building was posted with a warning stating that the premises were under 24/7 video surveillance.  Additionally, there were signs all over inside the bar stating the same.
In the end, all charges were dropped and the bouncer ended up getting jail time for possession with intent to distribute cocaine.

Link Posted: 7/28/2013 10:38:58 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

I added the word informant to the headline so it would not infer that an officer had done this.

You really want me to take it out again?

Link Posted: 7/28/2013 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#34]

An Agent is one who acts for, or in the place of, another, by authority from him; one entrusted with the business of another.

Link Posted: 7/28/2013 10:41:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes they are. They are doing things at the behest of the police department. That makes them agents of the department.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 10:47:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

An Agent is one who acts for, or in the place of, another, by authority from him; one entrusted with the business of another.

View Quote

Come on you don't expect people to know tht words have multiple meanings and context. Yes, an informant is acting as an agent of the state, they are not an agent in the sense of an LE officer.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#37]
I think you can remove the 'appears' from the title.

He planted drugs, most likely under the direction of the PD
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I bet your oficers and prosecutors call them "reliable informants" not "dirtbags" when asking for warrants  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet your oficers and prosecutors call them "reliable informants" not "dirtbags" when asking for warrants  

And when testifying in court.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top