BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:34:47 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is what I should have posted.  In snow/ice/or heavy rain the outback is in it's element. It is no race car/sport performance car so if you live in a place where you do not need outrageous performance in bad weather then buy a Mustang or something.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Used to have a rav4. Now have a 3.6l outback.

Outback is far superior. Its ridiculously good in bad conditions

This is what I should have posted.  In snow/ice/or heavy rain the outback is in it's element. It is no race car/sport performance car so if you live in a place where you do not need outrageous performance in bad weather then buy a Mustang or something.

Yep.  It's like a jack of all elements.  Goes at the same speed in any condition.

Some of my friends have fast cars that are all hotted up and ridiculously quick.  They like to make fun of my old man Outback and keep asking me to race.  I always say "sure, lets put a couple of speedbumps on the track" or "lets do it in the wet", etc.

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:59:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Shop around for price and trade deals.
None of the dealers in Boise would come down, so I went to Oregon and saved over 6 grand.

Your not buying a rare Porsche.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think we settled on the 2.5 outback limited. Still trying to decide if nav is worth $1k and whether to trade in my explorer or sell it outright. They aren't offering much.

Shop around for price and trade deals.
None of the dealers in Boise would come down, so I went to Oregon and saved over 6 grand.

Your not buying a rare Porsche.

I will check with the local dealers (Indy) but I will also check Chicago, too.  Got my current Lexus DIRT cheap because a Chicago dealer got 30 ofmtye same type dumped on them.

I also joined the IMBA and will get a decent discount as a result.

Looking at the 2.3/manual.  And, I will slap a Gadsden sticker on the thing before I leave the lot.

TC

ETA: Looking to end up with the Subie and a Euro Delivery BMW 428i in the garage.  At least that's the plan...
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:45:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had a Tacoma (loved it).  I have a 4Runner right now, and my wife has an 11 year old Explorer which is what the Outback will replace. To be honest, from what I can tell the only place I would prefer either vehicle over the Outback is in a serious off road situation.  

Off road nothing I've ever driven compares to the 4Runner.  I've taken it places in Colorado only a handful of factory equipped vehicles would make it through.

As for the lesbian thing I'm hoping the hot lipstick kind hit on me.  That doesn't bother me as almost everything discussed on Arfcom is gay (according to many of the members) in some shape, form or fashion.  

From what consumer reports says if I can get a Limited version for around 28,500 that would be a pretty decent deal.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:48:18 AM EDT
[#4]
You did it wrong.  

Should be:  MUR'KIN!

The Outback is made in the US.  It's a fine car.  I'd rather buy that than support the unions indirectly.  Sorry if that offends but they are a serious problem.

Quoted:
American
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 9:03:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Outback without any doubt. Although the wife likes the Crosstek also. Ours has been trouble free since Feb. 2005 when we bought it. Just got back from the cabin and the ground clearance is an added plus for that road. I put Blizzac tires on it this past winter and never worried about snow or ice.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#6]
XC 70 or XC 60  /thread.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 9:08:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yep.  It's like a jack of all elements.  Goes at the same speed in any condition.

Some of my friends have fast cars that are all hotted up and ridiculously quick.  They like to make fun of my old man Outback and keep asking me to race.  I always say "sure, lets put a couple of speedbumps on the track" or "lets do it in the wet", etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How the hell would you know about all elements?

Sand, afternoon showers, and hot. Maybe how they do when running over koalas and other dangerous fauna. No snow though
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 9:13:16 AM EDT
[#8]
the RAV4 horribly failed the IIHS front small offset crash test:

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr071113.html

The changes, however, weren't enough to lift the RAV4's performance
in the small overlap test. A combination of poor structure and
inadequate control of the dummy's movement prevented the RAV4 from
earning better than a poor rating overall.

View Quote

The driver's space was seriously compromised by intruding
structure, and the dummy's left foot was trapped by crushed and buckled
sheet metal in the footwell. Injury measures on the dummy indicated a
high risk of injury to the lower left leg. The dummy's head barely
contacted the frontal airbag before sliding off the left side as the
steering column moved more than 7 inches to the right, resulting in
little airbag cushioning for the chest. Additionally, the safety belt
allowed excessive forward movement of the dummy's head and torso,
contributing to the head hitting the instrument panel.

IIHS in May released results for 13 other small SUVs but
delayed testing the RAV4 because Toyota was making changes to the
redesigned model. If design changes are imminent, the Institute delays
tests to ensure that IIHS ratings don't soon become obsolete. The
practice also encourages automakers to improve designs more quickly.

In the earlier tests of small SUVs, only the Subaru Forester
and Mitsubishi Outlander Sport earned a good or acceptable rating for
occupant protection in a small overlap crash and qualified for the IIHS Top Safety Pick+ designation. Eleven other small SUVs are rated marginal or poor (see full ratings here).

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 9:19:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't care for the new rav4's. The previous body style with the v6 was gtg. Keep in mind that you will have more maintenance costs with the Subaru since you have a timing belt and plugs that are a pain to change. The Subaru awd is better in low traction situations. Both are good cars!

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 10:15:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's not necessarily. It is a bit smaller but has more ground clearance and the same engine. It has more of a SUV look and feel than the Outback. It is also considerably less expensive than the Outback.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just got one of these. I had an outback in 08.

Why is that better than the outback?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

It's not necessarily. It is a bit smaller but has more ground clearance and the same engine. It has more of a SUV look and feel than the Outback. It is also considerably less expensive than the Outback.

'

Looks like it's the same ground clearance, but a smaller engine. The review on edmunds.com says that the CVT transmission has a loud annoying droning sound too.

Nice looking compact/efficient unit, and cheaper than the outback, but an annoying noise like that would be a deal breaker for me.

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 10:44:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

'

Looks like it's the same ground clearance, but a smaller engine. The review on edmunds.com says that the CVT transmission has a loud annoying droning sound too.

Nice looking compact/efficient unit, and cheaper than the outback, but an annoying noise like that would be a deal breaker for me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just got one of these. I had an outback in 08.

Why is that better than the outback?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

'

I have been driving mine for 3 months and have never heard a noise like the. Sitting behind the wheel now... (Not driving!)

ETA looks like your right about the engine. 2.5 vs 2.0
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
This is what I should have posted.  In snow/ice/or heavy rain the outback is in it's element. It is no race car/sport performance car so if you live in a place where you do not need outrageous performance in bad weather then buy a Mustang STi or something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is what I should have posted.  In snow/ice/or heavy rain the outback is in it's element. It is no race car/sport performance car so if you live in a place where you do not need outrageous performance in bad weather then buy a Mustang STi or something.
FIFY

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 1:11:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
FIFY  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY  

I would love an STI, but sadly, they're only manuals. Curse my bad knees.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FIFY  

Bummer on the knees.  Manual trans is the only way to harness the power of that motor.

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Bummer on the knees.  Manual trans is the only way to harness the power of that motor.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY  

I bet. I learned to drive on a 5 speed 85 ford ranger. Those were fun days.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:08:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Any comments on the Subaru navigation system?  Worth an extra grand?
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 9:00:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Noooooooo! I had it in my outback. It is terrible.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've had a Tacoma (loved it).  I have a 4Runner right now, and my wife has an 11 year old Explorer which is what the Outback will replace. To be honest, from what I can tell the only place I would prefer either vehicle over the Outback is in a serious off road situation.  

Off road nothing I've ever driven compares to the 4Runner.  I've taken it places in Colorado only a handful of factory equipped vehicles would make it through.

As for the lesbian thing I'm hoping the hot lipstick kind hit on me.  That doesn't bother me as almost everything discussed on Arfcom is gay (according to many of the members) in some shape, form or fashion.  

From what consumer reports says if I can get a Limited version for around 28,500 that would be a pretty decent deal.
View Quote

I took my Outback up some nasty goat trails in the mountains around here...had a few guys staring at me...but it did just fine.
No, I don't think I'd take it rock crawling, nor do I think it will handle what a jeep can do...but it handles nasty forrest service roads with ease...
In a pinch,  I wouldn't hesitate to take on my next hunting trip.

Don't worry about the CVT if you go that way...it's actually quite good...at least I don't seem to notice it.

As for the gay/lesbo thing, I transferred my NRA plates to it and called it good.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 9:14:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't care for the new rav4's. The previous body style with the v6 was gtg. Keep in mind that you will have more maintenance costs with the Subaru since you have a timing belt and plugs that are a pain to change. The Subaru awd is better in low traction situations. Both are good cars!

View Quote

The new 2.5 comes with a timing chain...and the oil filter is right on top of the motor.
The plugs do look like a bitch to change, but most cars seem to be built that way these days
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 9:15:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.  I had seen some bad reviews, but I had not played with it.  The bigger screen seems nice, but that would be one expensive screen.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 6:23:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Bump for more navigation system feedback.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 6:24:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Mine came with the screen.  I personally don't think too much of the satnav.  It's decent but not $1000 decent
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 6:26:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Do you work on your own cars?

Open the hoods, that's all that matters. Subies are weird and icky under the hood
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 6:32:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Mine came with the screen.  I personally don't think too much of the satnav.  It's decent but not $1000 decent
View Quote

Given that $125 GPS units now come with free lifetime map updates, do they still want to charge several hundred dollars for an update of the onboard system?
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 6:34:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Why not get a man vehicle, a truck
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 6:41:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why not get a man vehicle, a truck
View Quote

Must be unmanly to read, it's for his wife.

OP, I bought a 2013 Outback in March.  It's awesome, I love it.  Tons of cargo room (even has a hiddel lift-out tray for goodies), large back seats, handles great.  The AWD is excellent.  Get the all weather package.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 7:20:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the info.  I may end up getting nav but just because they have one local and the color we want without nav is 3 hours away.  I just don't intend on paying for it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Open the hoods, that's all that matters. Subies are weird and icky under the hood
View Quote

Scoobies are super easy to work on.

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Subies are one of the easiest cars to work on! It's a straight motor and there's usually enough room to put your hand inside and work on things.

It has a boxer engine, so it's different from other conventional engines, but they're very easy once you get used to them.

GlockMonk
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#30]
The deal is done.  2014 Limited 2.5i w/moonroof and other assorted trim extras.  Got it for about 1200 under invoice.  Should be here in mid-August.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:01:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The deal is done.  2014 Limited 2.5i w/moonroof and other assorted trim extras.  Got it for about 1200 under invoice.  Should be here in mid-August.
View Quote

Good choice!  

Now take it out, get it dirty, and post pics!
(after you actually get it that is)
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Good choice!  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good choice!  

This.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

You did do a test drive of a 2.5 outback, right?  Considering how slow the sedan is with the motor, the heavier wagon will be even worse.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2010-subaru-legacy-25i-instrumented-test
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You did do a test drive of a 2.5 outback, right?  Considering how slow the sedan is with the motor, the heavier wagon will be even worse.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it will be perfect for my wife.  She does not drive fast.  You know how slow my 4Runner is even with the V6?  Pretty damn slow.  I'll take the gas mileage.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Good choice. I have a wrx and the Subaru is the best car I have ever had.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:57:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Excellent choice.  I've owned Toyotas, Hondas, Fords, Dodges, a Subaru and currently own a WJ and an XJ.

Bar none (including the XJ), when it rains or snows I'd rather have the Subaru (1994 Impreza).  One road trip in unexpected bad weather on even mediocre tires will make a believer of the WORST skeptics.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:09:40 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Outback- Subarus are great cars that will last forever.

The rav4 is a great vehicle, but more ghey looking
View Quote
While the Rav4 is arguably the gayest Toyota ,no Toyota comes near the gay masterfullqueerassrapistness of any Subaru

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:34:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Mother in law has a 04 Rav and even though its been great , it is built cheaply. I would not buy one, get the Outback!
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 7:25:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Picking up the outback tomorrow!
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#40]
I just got back from out West and I had the choice of an Outback or a Rav4 as my rental. I have had a couple of Outbacks in the last few years and I liked them fine, they are hell on switchbacky gravel mountain roads. They do not spin out and corner like they are on rails.
I wanted to try the Rav4. I just turned it in yesterday after having it a couple of weeks and I gotta say I liked it. It has great visibility and and the cockpit is nice. The front seats are VERY comfortable and the AWD was very capable. It did have a bit of a drone to it but that was negated by the stereo.
I'd say you could do worse. I've had a couple of dogs for rentals and two of the worst ones were the Nissan Mirano and the new Ford Escape. My favorites were the Jeep Liberty, Subbi Outback, and now the Rav4. Great little cars for mountains in the Summer.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 8:56:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Excellent choice.  I've owned Toyotas, Hondas, Fords, Dodges, a Subaru and currently own a WJ and an XJ.

Bar none (including the XJ), when it rains or snows I'd rather have the Subaru (1994 Impreza).  One road trip in unexpected bad weather on even mediocre tires will make a believer of the WORST skeptics.
View Quote

There's some truth to this.

My first experience with a Subaru was a Legacy I had as a rental in Tacoma, WA. I drove it like a rental, and it rained quite a bit, but it performed pretty well.

Fast forward to last winter. One evening, I was driving a 2011 Forester through the Sierra Nevadas north of Donner Pass basically taking a shortcut from Redding to Reno. I was in the middle of nowhere when we started getting some serious snow. It wasn't quite a white-out, but visibility was shitty and it was accumulating on the roads quickly. I was rolling at ~35mph and watching the taillights of the F250 in front of me for advance warning of any problems. Every time we hit an incline, I could see the 4x4 dually crab a bit as it struggled for traction. I was casually cruising, and Subaru was solid.

I've never owned a Subaru myself, but they're at the top of my list for next DD (along with a few less practical choices).
Link Posted: 8/17/2013 5:36:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Picking up the outback tomorrow!
View Quote

What was once tomorrow is now today. How did it go?
Link Posted: 8/17/2013 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Subaru.
Link Posted: 8/17/2013 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Got it!  Love it so far.  Very solid vehicle. 2.5L engine is peppy enough for the spouse.

The Harmon Kardon stereo system kicks ass.  I love a good sound system.

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 5:29:12 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Got it!  Love it so far.  Very solid vehicle. 2.5L engine is peppy enough for the spouse.

The Harmon Kardon stereo system kicks ass.  I love a good sound system.

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.
View Quote

My wife drives a 2012 Forester and loves it. We've taken it on a number of 3+ hour trips and its comfortable. I think it even has more interior space than my 2007 Xterra.
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 5:50:38 AM EDT
[#46]
I bought a 2013 XV Crosstrek two and a half months ago.  It's almost up to 5000 miles now.  I think it's actually a pretty good value for what you get.  Standard Bluetooth, AUX, USB, all weather package.  Everybody notices the rims.  Everybody.  I went with the five speed manual, and it's got the appearance package stuff on it, spoiler, sport grille, door strips, auto dim mirror with compass.  Paid $22,400, which is right where Edmunds said it should be for the options it had.  

Put a Curt Class III hitch on it from Amazon for $145.  Didn't have to lift it for that, or for it's first oil change.  Can't beat that.  

Mine gets significantly better mileage than EPA estimates.  I averaged 29-30 MPG over a 1600 mile road trip with the seats down and full of cargo and two bikes hanging off the back and the cruise at 75.  Empty, on highway trips, I've seen 35 MPG plus at 65 or so.  

The only problems are, it's a little anemic at altitude.  Some parts in Colorado, I had to drop it into third and really goose it.  And the seats need lumbar support.  After 1600 miles, my back felt like shit.  

Other than that, it's a very high quality car for it's price point.  The AWD system will make you write home to mom once you experience it in a hard rain.  Boxer engines are the shit.  It's so balanced that even at 5000 RPM, the only clue is the noise.  It doesn't get harsher or vibrate, it just gets louder.  

My next car will probably be a Subaru.

Love, it's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top