Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/4/2013 6:28:32 AM EDT
I am curious whether you think the events in Egypt of the last day or so constitute a military coup.

The military arrested and deposed a democratically elected leader (nevermind whether he was a bad islamist or a dirty moose-lamb or whatever) and replaced him, temporarily at least, with a leader of its choosing. Not a military leader, mind you, but they essentially dissolved the entire government and constitution.

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 6:31:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Egypt has been run by their military since the 1950s. Morsi was the short-lived variance from this, and the military has put an end to that experiment.

Not really a coup. More of a reset or a return to the norm.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 6:32:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes. Without question.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 6:33:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Egypt has been run by their military since the 1950s. Morsi was the short-lived variance from this, and the military has put an end to that experiment.

Is the Military retaining power?

Or haveing a re-election.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 6:36:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coup assisted by the military.

Btw, how is our guy in Egypt doing?
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 6:36:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Technically yes it was a military coup (in support of an uprising of the people), sometimes they are necessary when a leader ignores the will of the people.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 6:38:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I always viewed Egypt as being sort of like the nuttier cousin of Turkey in that regard. It has a civilian government that runs most things day to day, but the military is sort of a backstage, benevolent overlord in the background that only chimes in when the government goes too far astray in some manner - and then it will step in, in those rare circumstances, and bitchslap things back to order.

But I have trouble calling what has happened this week anything other than a military coup. It has some elements that differ from historical or traditional elements of most military coups, but in general it's the military unilaterally deciding to toss the civilian government, and using or threatening force to do so.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 6:40:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Isn't it pretty much by definition a military coup?
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 6:40:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does that actually matter?

I guess it would help if you defined "military coup" as you see it. I don't think it requires that the military retain power afterwards - in my mind, if the military uses or threatens force to depose a civilian government "off-schedule" (i.e., no elections are due yet under the laws of the nation) then it's a coup in my mind.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 6:42:31 AM EDT
[#9]
While there appears to be quite strong popular support, it is nevertheless a military coup.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 6:43:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Technically, yes, but practically not really. Just like Honduras a few years ago.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:00:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Technically yes it was a military coup (in support of an uprising of the people), sometimes they are necessary when a leader ignores the will of the people.

The military in Egypt has a huge stake in their society and vice-verse.   They run a completely vertical operation where they own everything from the farms that harvest their food and material for their uniform clothes to all production in between.  Virtually all families have someone working in this infrastructure or serving.

Therefore, I can hardly see the Egyptian army going against or doing anything against the population and more likely supporting it.

On a side note. As the US' current administration starts to downsize our military and let go almost 100,000 people, not counting the ones indirectly related, I wonder how the selection process and who will run it will happen.   You know, in the end of the day, one needs military support to do his bidding.  

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:04:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

America has never had a coup, though the conditions are starting to smell ripe for one.

God save us all.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:04:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:05:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Obamalamist can't call it a coup, if he does, the $1,500,000,000.00 in US Tax dollars will have to cease to be sent there. He loves those islamists fucks and he certainly wouldn't want them not to get thei fair share or what they are entitled to.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:06:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Coup de kinda.

So far it looks like they're rewinding the tape for another try at democracy. Personally, I'm not overly optimistic of the outcome.
I can't remember who said it, but the gist was that there are some societies and/or ethnicities that are incapable of self-government.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:13:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Coup de kinda.

So far it looks like they're rewinding the tape for another try at democracy. Personally, I'm not overly optimistic of the outcome.
I can't remember who said it, but the gist was that there are some societies and/or ethnicities that are incapable of self-government.

Yep...  

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:17:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes. Good.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:25:00 AM EDT
[#18]
IMO: Technically, yes, but I see it more as the Egyptian military fulfilling their oaths to the COUNTRY, not to the man.  

Morsi refused to share power with the opposition IAW their Constitution, declared courts could not review his decisions, ousted their version of the Attorney General without cause or legal precedent under their Constitution.

On Monday, the military gave him 48 hours to comply with the Constitution, share power, and impose order.  He did not.

Note, too, that the military didn't remain in power.  They put the head of Egypt's Supreme Constitutional Court in charge, with plans for parliamentary elections in the very near future.

So, is it a true coup d'etat, where those who overthrow the government do so to take power for themselves?

Or was the Egyptian military, in the most honorable traditions of the Prussian philosophy of serving and preserving the State, acting on the side of freedom and the will of the people?

We could learn a lot from the actions and intentions of the Egyptian military, especially in light of the "discussions" we've been having on this very board.

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:31:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

IMO: Technically, yes, but I see it more as the Egyptian military fulfilling their oaths to the COUNTRY, not to the man.

Morsi refused to share power with the opposition IAW their Constitution, declared courts could not review his decisions, ousted their version of the Attorney General without cause or legal precedent under their Constitution.

On Monday, the military gave him 48 hours to comply with the Constitution, share power, and impose order. He did not.

Note, too, that the military didn't remain in power. They put the head of Egypt's Supreme Constitutional Court in charge, with plans for parliamentary elections in the very near future.

So, is it a true coup d'etat, where those who overthrow the government do so to take power for themselves?

Or was the Egyptian military, in the most honorable traditions of the Prussian philosophy of serving and preserving the State, acting on the side of freedom and the will of the people?

We could learn a lot from the actions and intentions of the Egyptian military, especially in light of the "discussions" we've been having on this very board.

This is exactly how I see it. The people wanted and needed to take back power, since the new president was going full dictator. The military just was the arm of the people.

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 7:32:15 AM EDT
[#20]
It is a good coup. Fuck the Muslim Brotherhood.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 10:05:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always viewed Egypt as being sort of like the nuttier cousin of Turkey in that regard. It has a civilian government that runs most things day to day, but the military is sort of a backstage, benevolent overlord in the background that only chimes in when the government goes too far astray in some manner - and then it will step in, in those rare circumstances, and bitchslap things back to order.

But I have trouble calling what has happened this week anything other than a military coup. It has some elements that differ from historical or traditional elements of most military coups, but in general it's the military unilaterally deciding to toss the civilian government, and using or threatening force to do so.

It is definitely a military coup.  Even if it wasn't, it would still certainly meet the criteria requiring a cut-off of U.S. funds since only major military involvement, even if not strictly speaking a military coup, is required.

As for Turkey, I think their military has largely been neutralized with regard to the role it had taken since the end of the Ottoman Empire.  There is a reason why Turkey has he largest number of jailed military officers, senior and overall, in the world.  Erdogan has been very adept in consolidating power and eliminating threats to it, such as the military coups that may well have already occurred there by now had they not been neutralized.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 10:06:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Military told Zero's Muz-Bro Jack-off to jump ship.  He did.    Good for the Egyptian Army!
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 10:07:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe he is stateside now.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does that actually matter?

I guess it would help if you defined "military coup" as you see it. I don't think it requires that the military retain power afterwards - in my mind, if the military uses or threatens force to depose a civilian government "off-schedule" (i.e., no elections are due yet under the laws of the nation) then it's a coup in my mind.

Military coup to me would be the military seizing power and keeping it. Otherwise it's a Military recall?
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 10:10:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes.

This should make a whole bunch of people nervous.

For multiple reasons, I should think.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 10:13:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe he is stateside now.

I haven't seen him post in a while.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 10:16:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Yes this was a chicken coup.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 10:17:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yes this was a chicken coup.

Corps.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 10:22:31 AM EDT
[#29]
It was the definition of a coup d'état.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 10:22:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Military coup to me would be the military seizing power and keeping it. Otherwise it's a Military recall?

Where in the Egyptian constitution, or any nation's constitution for that matter, is such a thing as a "military recall" contemplated?  If the military can simply wake up and call new elections at will, isn't the military then, in effect, already the body in power?

The military just decided to depose the government, suspend the constitution, and make up a new "road map" of its own.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Technically, yes, but practically not really. Just like Honduras a few years ago.

Agree.
And much like Honduras, our Dear Leader is backing the wrong side, along with all the other usual suspects.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

On Monday, the military gave him 48 hours to comply with the Constitution, share power, and impose order. He did not.

Note, too, that the military didn't remain in power. They put the head of Egypt's Supreme Constitutional Court in charge, with plans for parliamentary elections in the very near future.

This is exactly how I see it. The people wanted and needed to take back power, since the new president was going full dictator. The military just was the arm of the people.

Lots of parallels to our present situation...
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#33]
A palace coup but a coup regardless.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 10:30:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where in the Egyptian constitution, or any nation's constitution for that matter, is such a thing as a "military recall" contemplated?  If the military can simply wake up and call new elections at will, isn't the military then, in effect, already the body in power?

The military just decided to depose the government, suspend the constitution, and make up a new "road map" of its own.

Like Morsi hadn't already disregarded it.

I F'n love that BO's handpicked MB pal was plucked and booted.

We have our own dictator to deal with.

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

On Monday, the military gave him 48 hours to comply with the Constitution, share power, and impose order.  He did not.

Note, too, that the military didn't remain in power.  They put the head of Egypt's Supreme Constitutional Court in charge, with plans for parliamentary elections in the very near future.

30 years of mil to mil exchanges pays dividends.

almost a model for US foreign policy and strategy.

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#36]
They are calling this a "soft coup" because the military is handing it over back to the people.

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 10:33:01 AM EDT
[#37]
It's a classic coup.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 10:36:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It's a classic coup.

By definition, neither coups nor even sedans are classified as classics until twenty-five years old.

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It's a classic coup.

not one bit.

the military did not seize power, they transferred it to someone not in the military.

this is a foolish statement, but, I am not surprised.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 10:42:33 AM EDT
[#40]
I didn't like Morsi anyway, he's just another muslim terrorist that Obumbo supports. Michael Savage's website shows pictures of Egyptians holding up anti-Obumbo posters and banners. Egyptians know that Morsi is a scumbag and that Obumbo is a scumbag for supporting him. Good riddance. Now keep the Suez and Giza open for the rest of us, fools!
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Yep, it's a military coup.  A popularly backed military coup, however, which makes it pretty darn rare.  Makes for very interesting times for the Muslim Brotherhood, both in Egypt & abroad.  They were given a chance, and the the people who elected them a year ago rejected them.  Soul searching times for the Bro's.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 11:59:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
They are calling this a "soft coup" because the military is handing it over back to the people.  

The phrase I've seen bandied about is "democratic coup d'etat," where the military takes control, from authoritarian or lawless rule, only to preserve that power and turn it over to duly elected officials.  There have only been a couple of cases of that, Turkey in 1960, Portugal in 1974, Honduras in 2009 (kinda) and now Egypt twice in three years.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 12:03:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The phrase I've seen bandied about is "democratic coup d'etat," where the military takes control, from authoritarian or lawless rule, only to preserve that power and turn it over to duly elected officials.  There have only been a couple of cases of that, Turkey in 1960, Portugal in 1974, Honduras in 2009 (kinda) and now Egypt twice in three years.

That's not a bad description. The concept of the military overthrowing the civilian government is generally a bad and frightening one, but in these rare cases, both the motives and methods seem morally defensible.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#45]
The military ousted the elected (no matter how far it went astray) government, and suspended the constitution.  It was a military coup. That does not make it a morally bad thing.  Hitler rose to power legally in Germany.  If the military sacked up and took him out that would be morally good, but it would still be a military coup.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 1:11:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Personally, I'd ask the Egyptians what they think about it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 2:09:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Couldn't an argument be made that the military put down a coup that Morsi had committed.  Morsi had seized power in violation of the constitution.  He had eliminated the checks that were in place to limit executive power.  The military gave him the chance to abide by the constitution and he declined. So they removed him from office.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 2:11:19 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Couldn't an argument be made that the military put down a coup that Morsi had committed.  Morsi had seized power in violation of the constitution.  He had eliminated the checks that were in place to limit executive power.  The military gave him the chance to abide by the constitution and he declined. So they removed him from office.  

So that is why Obama is supporting him.

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So that is why Obama is supporting him.

I don't think Obama knows enough about how governments work to make a rational decision.  His delusions about what he could accomplish as president are a testament to his not ever having watched Schoolhouse Rock.

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 2:15:35 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I believe so. Mordin was firing Generals and everything in a bid to gain more power.

The military stepped in and stopped a dictatorship in its infancy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top