Author
Еби БГО
NRAMilitary
Posted: 6/29/2013 10:21:55 AM
In preparation for my dads 71st birthday I decided to put a shadow box of Grandpas WWII medals together.

Grandpa served from 11-22-43 to 12-4-45 in the USN. He didn't see much in the way of combat since he served on a repair ship. He was Machinist Mate(inside repair) which means he was an actual machinist. In the process of determining what medals and ribbons he was entitled to wear I learned that he was a machinist for Remington Arms in Salt Lake City prior to enlisting. Grandpa passed away six years ago and I miss him every day. Grandpa didn't have a lot of decorations but according to his service record he was an outstanding sailor in the service of his country. The three shell casings are the blanks fired during his funeral gun salute.

This is Nevada, we don't care how you did it in California.
I'm Republican because not everyone can be on welfare.
RED_5
Resident Jedi Grand Master
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/29/2013 10:25:00 AM
MIA: M/SGT James W. Holt USSF 2-7-68 SVN

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you."
-A. Wilkow
wjoutlaw
What the constituents want doesn't matter anymore
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/29/2013 10:27:03 AM
Very nice. I have never seen a shadow box with spent shell casings fired during a 21 gun salute. Simple elegant and unique!
I saw some girl texting and driving the other day and it really pissed me off, so I rolled down my window and threw my beer at her!

Adapt, improvise and overcome....or fucking die trying.
Jbclark84
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/29/2013 10:28:46 AM
Thumbs up OP.
Outlaw46
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/29/2013 10:30:41 AM
Originally Posted By DamascusKnifemaker:
In preparation for my dads 71st birthday I decided to put a shadow box of Grandpas WWII medals together.

Grandpa served from 11-22-43 to 12-4-45 in the USN. He didn't see much in the way of combat since he served on a repair ship. He was Machinist Mate(inside repair) which means he was an actual machinist. In the process of determining what medals and ribbons he was entitled to wear I learned that he was a machinist for Remington Arms in Salt Lake City prior to enlisting. Grandpa passed away six years ago and I miss him every day. Grandpa didn't have a lot of decorations but according to his service record he was an outstanding sailor in the service of his country. The three shell casings are the blanks fired during his funeral gun salute.

<a href="http://s1205.photobucket.com/user/DamascusKnifemaker/media/Shadowboxc_zps9ea0447c.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb435/DamascusKnifemaker/Shadowboxc_zps9ea0447c.jpg</a>

That is really cool

sdeshazo
Stamp Collector
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/29/2013 10:33:29 AM
Very cool & I thank your granddad for his service.

Both my grandfathers served in WW2, one for 33 years & got out as a CW04, he had three ships shot out from under him.
Living in FL he used to love offshore fishing & we joked with him that him & ships did not have a good track record.

I've tried several times to get there military records so I could do somthing like that but have never been able to get the info. From pictures I know my one grandfather had medals that went just about to his shoulder boards.
PlaneJane
Old Woman
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/29/2013 10:40:55 AM
Your grandfather answered his country's call, and apparently did his best at what he was asked to do, where he was asked to do it. Few do more; many do far less.
"I always knew how to get along with a man if I liked him." Olga Greenlaw
I-M-A-WMD
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/29/2013 10:51:36 AM
Thanks for sharing OP.

Sly
"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him". Mark Twain
JuniorJr
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/29/2013 10:52:09 AM
Beautiful, thanks for sharing.

DD977GM2
I am a Meat Popsicle
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/29/2013 10:55:37 AM
This just started my day great OP!! Appreciate you taking the time to show us. Your grandpa is a true hero for answering the call to serve his country and he did with honor.
"There is always hope if there is lead in the air" xoxoTA

"Remember, It's just a bad dream Fatboy!!!!!!"
-Pvt. Cowboy

Navy SEAL Danny Phillip Dietz Jr. KIA - 6/28/05