Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/26/2013 4:46:35 PM EDT
i pass what looks like a road kill in the street, i small kitten... as i pass it, i see that its alive, i see its paws moving... im doing 45.. i look in the rear view to see the car behind me heading right for it.. figured he would swerve... nope.. dead center SQUISH!...

if my wife was in the car she would have freaked...

Link Posted: 6/26/2013 4:47:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw a SUV roll over on Friday.  There were several injuries.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:01:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't feel bad. It's the cirlce of life.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:01:11 PM EDT
[#4]
About a week ago I nailed a squirrel with my right rear tire.  Perfect hit.   It didn't even twitch.
The trick to hitting squirrels is to drive straight, don't swerve, and don't hit the gas or the brakes.
It's my third confirmed squirrel kill.
My first was in my '78 Cadillac.  His head stuck to the pavement and the body was twitching and flying up in the air

in convulsions while the head remained stuck.
I do not like squirrels.   I have no remorse when I nail one.   I don't TRY to hit them but I don't try to avoid them, either,

as that's a good way to run into something more important than a squirrel, like another car, a pedestrian, a bicyclist, or

a non-moving object.
I should have this on the driver's door of my car now:

That's my tally to date.  Does this make me an ace or do I have to have five kills of the same species to get ace status?
I don't go out to run over animals.  I've rescued several animals and birds and helped turtles across the street.  

In recent years I've rescued and taken the following birds to the local animal sanctuary:   Common Tern, Mallard duck, Collared Dove, Mourning Dove.

Last year I went head-to-head with a mourning dove.  I was doing about 50 and the bird was at full speed and went straight in at the top of my windshield

at what had to be at least 90 MPH total impact speed.  (My car was not damaged.)  

I barely saw the bird hit but I looked in the rear view mirror and saw it fall (after a few seconds of hang time) and nose into the dirt just off the side of the road.

It stayed there, quite dead, head down, body vertical, tail sticking straight up.

I passed by that dead bird every day on the way to and from work and for the next three days it was still there, still in the same position.   Vertical with the tail

pointing at the sky.  Kind of cool, actually.
Animals are, sometimes, and unfortunately,  something we have to deal with on the roads.  Don't get yourself in an accident trying to avoid hitting an animal.

Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Dont feel to bad, my wife plowed into a dag at 70.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
About a week ago I nailed a squirrel with my right rear tire.  Perfect hit.   It didn't even twitch.

The trick to hitting squirrels is to drive straight, don't swerve, and don't hit the gas or the brakes.

It's my third confirmed squirrel kill.

My first was in my '78 Cadillac.  His head stuck to the pavement and the body was twitching and flying up in the air
in convulsions while the head remained stuck.

I do not like squirrels.   I have no remorse when I nail one.   I don't TRY to hit them but I don't try to avoid them, either,
as that's a good way to run into something more important than a squirrel, like another car, a pedestrian, a bicyclist, or
a non-moving object.

I should have this on the driver's door of my car now:

http://www.carstickers.com/prodimages/1814_squirrel_sticker_decal.gifhttp://www.carstickers.com/prodimages/1814_squirrel_sticker_decal.gifhttp://www.carstickers.com/prodimages/1814_squirrel_sticker_decal.gifhttp://www.carstickers.com/prodimages/1620_armadillo_sticker_decal.gifhttp://img.printfection.com/14/154701/C8ptx.jpg

That's my tally to date.  Does this make me an ace or do I have to have five kills of the same species to get ace status?

Impressive score. I've hit several squirrels and a seagull that was feasting in the street. Caught the gull with the brush guard, feathers everywhere.
Had the look on my face when my employee said " awww... should we go back?" I only stopped laughing to say "why did I miss him?"
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#7]
It sucks to watch but cats are not necessarily endangered.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm chicken shit when it comes to running over an animal.

I know not to induce a wreck by avoiding one, but I guess that hitting one gives me a bad feeling............
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:09:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#10]
You  think squirrels are tough to hit, try crows.

The trick to getting a crow is not to make eye contact and don't make you're move until the last minute.

Kittens and puppies are pretty easy, relatively speaking.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:10:29 PM EDT
[#11]
lol

Just kidding not really, more of an inward chuckle

Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I hit a chicken a week ago.

That was an odd one.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:12:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The trick to getting a crow is not to make eye contact and don't make you're move until the last minute.

Yeah you just don't lead them as much!

Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I was working 2nd shift many years ago. On the way home, I was on a 55mph road on a downhill curve when 8 to 10 baby bunnies scattered across the road in front of me.

It was ugly.

Hitting animals sux!

Shooting them, however...
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I squished a rat today

Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I routinely hit small birds in flight.

They just swoop in front of my truck and I see them in the rear view flapping on the ground.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

While away on vacation dad hit a cow with moms 72 buick convertible.....and TOTALED the car.

Moms favorite car by far. Cow flew about 75 yards I was told.

Yeah, I read cow not crow.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was working 2nd shift many years ago. On the way home, I was on a 55mph road on a downhill curve when 8 to 10 baby bunnies scattered across the road in front of me.

It was ugly.

Hitting animals sux!

Especially cats
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:15:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

It was ugly.

Hitting animals sux!

in 10 grade, i was mowing the lawn .. hit a nest in the grass,,, all a saw was fur and bunny parts go flying....

Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I read that as COW I thought wow that'll leave a mark.

Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:16:50 PM EDT
[#21]
a bullet or a car - same result.

Did you put one of these up?
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:17:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I've never hit one but I've shot my fair share
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#23]
My tally: Several birds liked to fly out of brush on a road near my high school. Not sure how many I got the one time.

I hit a squirrel's tail which kind of stunned him and the car behind me flattened him.
I had some sort of black bird dive bomb my vehicle he was DOI
I had a duck hit my windshield. It left a wet spot
I had a Canada goose land so close to the front of my car that I could not see him when he hit pavement. Not sure I killed that one but he went under my Ford Fusion so it probably messed him up pretty good.
When I was a kid mom hit a coyote. Someone stopped a few minutes later and took it for the pelt.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Once I was driving down the road, and a cute little puppy was walking down the side of the road playing. I slowed down to a crawl, got all the way into the left lane, creeped by and as I got back over into the right lane and proceeded on my way after so carefully dodging that puppy he still ran (thats how slow I was going) up to the vehicle and got ran over. I felt awful, the owners were right there and saw the whole thing. I pulled over and got out they scooped him up blood going everywhere I just stood there feeling awful, they didnt even talk or say anything just cried and walked away. I left. The next day I went to visit my girlfriend or whatever at the gas station she worked at and her co-worker came in seemingly depressed. "Hi, how are you today?" I asked...
"I am really sad, someone ran over my dog yesterday, right in front of our house!"
I immediately got sick to my stomach, "that is awful..." I said and left quickly..."
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:20:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd prided myself on never hitting a deer until a year ago.  Thing came out of nowhere.  Saw a flash of brown and thump.  I slammed on the brakes and could see the deer in midair spinning around and around over the windshield in slow motion, then it fell down over the side of the car.  It was real weird.   Couldn't find the deer.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I've never hit one but I've shot my fair share
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:27:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

so carefully dodging that puppy he still ran (thats how slow I was going) up to the vehicle and got ran over.

Did you put one of these signs up because apparently people here think dead pets are something to joke about.

Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

so carefully dodging that puppy he still ran (thats how slow I was going) up to the vehicle and got ran over.

Did you put one of these signs up because apparently people here think dead pets are something to joke about.  

No...
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#29]
I hit a bat while riding 80mph or so on the interstate, it exploded on my helmet and I had guts all in the air vents.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I've hit 3 deer

A pigeon

A Ruffed Grouse

An Owl

Numerous squirrels

And a Bat, it got stuck in the windshield wiper with one wing flapping in the breeze
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#31]
I once hit a pheasant... in flight... while on my motorcycle.  My knee hurt for a couple hours.  I also hit several bees.   Does anybody real read this stuff?  Them little bastards hurt when your lid is up.

Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:39:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:40:45 PM EDT
[#33]
If the kitten was already injured I'd run over it too to put it out of its misery.  

My dad hit a cow while he (my dad ) was driving a motorcycle.  All he would say was, "I thought she was going to mooooove."
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#34]
I ran over a wood chuck yesterday while on my Road King.   He didn't swerve and neither did I.  I didn't mean too hit em but it was that or go off the road.  The weird part is that I had a premonition of this happening not 10 seconds before.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a friend who hit a deer on his motorcycle. He saw one in the road and slowed down another one ran in front of him. He was not hurt bad a little rash in him and the bike.

Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:52:49 PM EDT
[#36]
I was running max speed (75ish) in my Samurai one night, driving my sister home.  She was dozing in the right seat when i saw a flash of white on her side of the windshield.  Then thee whole car made a boom that I figured was the end of both of us.  The glass held somehow though, and I verified my drawers were dry before continuing.  I wish I had a picture of the goose's buttprint on the windshield the next day.  It was the 5" wide webbed footprints in the middle of it that let us confirm a goose strike.  Well, that and the down stuck everywhere and mixed in with the blood.

Kudos to Suzuki.  Not many windshields would survive a goose strike at that velocity.  Fucker bent the frame around the glass too.  We got lucky, cause my sister would not have enjoyed a live goose and glass sammich as a wakeup call.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have a friend who hit a deer on his motorcycle. He saw one in the road and slowed down another one ran in front of him. He was not hurt bad a little rash in him and the bike.

I always wanted to see someone start a motorcycle mounted whitetail saber hunting sport.  Like knights of old, run em down, cut em down, and put em ona spit.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
i pass what looks like a road kill in the street, i small kitten... as i pass it, i see that its alive, i see its paws moving... im doing 45.. i look in the rear view to see the car behind me heading right for it.. figured he would swerve... nope.. dead center SQUISH!...

if my wife was in the car she would have freaked...

This thread is powerfully Supreme Court Marriage Approved.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Got a horse one time. Three of them lined up, kind of a downhill slalom course.
Missed the first two nicked the third one on the knee, it had to be put down.

Smoked a robin with the car, it was still in the grill when I arrived at my destination.
There have been other animals including a couple deer, neither of which were killed or at least I didn't find their bodies.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 6:03:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Long story:
I was test driving cars and went to check out a Geo Tracker. I needed something cheap at the time with a flat floor for delivering wedding cakes.

When I turned the key in the ignition, it wouldn't start. Salesman said "Oh, this car just came in on a trade and we haven't had a chance to check it over all the way." (Yeah right. Ok, whatever.) Went to take it for a test drive after he jump-started it. Steered like a brick, didn't really accelerate for crap, but so far, so good (well, not so good, but mobile at least). Then it happened. I was cruising along at about 55mph when Punxatawney Phil decided he needed to cross the road.

No time to avoid him- good opportunity to check the brakes, but it was pointless because that groundhog was determined and fast. I ran him over anyway. Felt terrible! Looked in rear view mirror. Ol' Phil was getting back up, looking in my direction, and dusting himself off, before nonchalantly shuffling back into the cornfield on the other side. If the car couldn't kill a groundhog, I wondered how it would perform in a crash. I declined to buy the car.

tl, dr:
I test drove a car. I hit a groundhog with it. It lived. I didn't buy the car. The end.

I unabashedly avoid hitting animals as much as possible. Even the ones you love to hate, arfcom. While you're sitting around snickering to yourself about the thought of smearing entrails of squirrels all over the pavement, I'm the one you get stuck behind braking for a caterpillar. Why? Because critters evolved before roads and it's not a fair fight. I will hit 'em if it's them or me, though. Gotta respect survival instincts.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read that as COW I thought wow that'll leave a mark.

Me to
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#42]
My son and I were walking the dogs last week and came across a squirrel that had been hit and was still alive in the road.  It was trying hard to move, but was obviously suffering.  We walked back to the house, got my son's air rifle and went back and my son put him down.  Boy got to learn that head shots aren't always "instant off" and he felt good for ending the animal's suffering.  I hate to see anything innocent suffer.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 6:07:25 PM EDT
[#43]
I saw that happen with a turtle on the way to church last week. I dodged him, car behind me didn't. Looked like a big puff of smoke out from either side of the wheel. Instant, no doubt.

Link Posted: 6/26/2013 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#45]
One of the decrepit street cats that lives around here ran out in front of me a couple years ago and promptly got squished by my front left and back left tires.  Also hit an owl with my front axle that was just standing in the road one night. No idea why he didn't bother to try. I guess he was suicidal.

One of the craziest and funniest things I've seen happened when I was probably 16 or so. My dad, cousin, and I were driving out to the hunting lease. This blue heron was flying right down the highway at truck bumper height. He was flying along the right lane and never even turned. Well I guess my dad figured he would turn. The three of us sat there, gradually catching up from about 1/2 a mile away. Well that heron took a Nissan Titan up the ass at about 60mph and shot off into the tree line about 200 feet away.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Saw a rabbit cut in half still alive trying to crawl off the road,  it was fucked up.   I ran over its head to kill it,  my wife was in fucking tears.   It looked like a deer had been hit there was blood everywhere,  it was weird
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I saw a SUV roll over on Friday.  There were several injuries.  

Right, probably filled with assholes or Obama voters, or both. A kitten on the other hand...harmless, therefor more worthy of tears. That's the answer to the question of why people get upset more over animals being harmed.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 6:16:50 PM EDT
[#48]
CARnage?  I know about that!

I've hit countless bunnies.  I aim for them whether driving or shooting.  The best one was several years ago when I was on a very empty highway at about midnight going about 80mph.  I just barely caught the thing out of the corner of my eye and almost didn't realize that I hit it.  I stopped, backed up until I saw the bunny and it was splattered everywhere.  It was split right down the back. I think I smacked it with my pumpkin.  After admiring the damage that high speeds can do to flesh, I hear my buddy "HOLY SHIT DUDE, CHECK THIS OUT!"  I walked over, and about 15 feet from the carcass was the bunny's heart on the pavement, still beating.

I've also hit a couple of burrowing owls.  One was just knocked a bit loopy and I picked it up and let it perch on my finger until it flew off.

I whacked a pigeon in the middle of town once when hauling some furniture.  I would have had a hard time missing it even had I wanted too.  It was just a giant puff of feathers that came up.  I snickered watching in my mirror as they were swirling around the cars driving through them.  I got some dirty looks over that one.  

I smacked a porcupine one night whilest driving waaay too fast (I was a teenager at the time) out in the middle of the desert.  Quills were scattered from hell to breakfast on that one.

One afternoon I helped a buddy remove a bat from his radiator.

The one that I wish I was there for was when a chicken ran out in front of another buddy's truck.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
CARnage?  I know about that!

I've hit countless bunnies.  I aim for them whether driving or shooting.  The best one was several years ago when I was on a very empty highway at about midnight going about 80mph.  I just barely caught the thing out of the corner of my eye and almost didn't realize that I hit it.  I stopped, backed up until I saw the bunny and it was splattered everywhere.  It was split right down the back. I think I smacked it with my pumpkin.  After admiring the damage that high speeds can do to flesh, I hear my buddy "HOLY SHIT DUDE, CHECK THIS OUT!"  I walked over, and about 15 feet from the carcass was the bunny's heart on the pavement, still beating.

I've also hit a couple of burrowing owls.  One was just knocked a bit loopy and I picked it up and let it perch on my finger until it flew off.

I whacked a pigeon in the middle of town once when hauling some furniture.  I would have had a hard time missing it even had I wanted too.  It was just a giant puff of feathers that came up.  I snickered watching in my mirror as they were swirling around the cars driving through them.  I got some dirty looks over that one.  

I smacked a porcupine one night whilest driving waaay too fast (I was a teenager at the time) out in the middle of the desert.  Quills were scattered from hell to breakfast on that one.

One afternoon I helped a buddy remove a bat from his radiator.

The one that I wish I was there for was when a chicken ran out in front of another buddy's truck.

You're so...........cool.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 6:18:39 PM EDT
[#50]
My friend told me how he and his dad were driving through the CA desert at night and his dad ran over a mass of snakes crossing the road, he couldn't stop in time.  He slammed on his brakes, but then put it in reverse, and then began running back and forth over them in case he missed any.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top