BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 6:09:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stay as far right as you can, or prepare to get buzzed. Also, don't pass other bikes on a 2 lane mountain road. That almost got one of you guys killed last weekend. If I have to choose between a head on, or taking out a bike, I'm taking out a bike.

This.  I'm staying in my lane.  Sounds like OP is doing it right.

Lots around here doing it wrong.  There are awesome bike trails around here, with great parking, and smooth roads.  If they cant use those, and want to play in traffic, they get what they get.   I just feel bad for the poor driver that has to live with running their dumb ass over by accident.

Years back they built a multi million dollar 30 plus mile long bike trail here. Beautiful scenery, lots of parking areas, rest areas. Stupid cyclists still ride on the highway that runs directly parallel to the trail.

If OP is being honest then I have no issues with what he does and wish all cyclists were as considerate. However, if somebody is one of those inconsiderate assholes that ride side by side with their fellow butt buddy down the center lane of a highway where passing is not allowed or not safe while refusing to move over then I hope they get run over and drug behind a truck for several miles before the driver notices.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 6:13:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I followed a guy onto the base I work on the other morning...  full spandex 10-speed racer gear with a backpack (no doubt with his suit in it).

He maintained 15-20 mph in a zone that went from 45 to 35 to 25, with it being impossible to pass.

Instead of getting over to allow people to pass, he rode dead center of the lane.

Fine, I'm sharing the road.

Now, here's where I got pissed:  at the red light before the base ID check line when the cars stopped, he zoomed right on through.

At the line of cars waiting to get on base (ID check), he zoomed past the ENTIRE LINE OF CARS and showed his ID to the guard, then rode onto the base.

Share the road?  SURE.  FOLLOW THE FUCKING LAWS TOO.

You can't have it both ways, SORRY.

So you're pissed because the cyclist cut in line?  

Is it illegal in VA for a bicycle (or motorcycle) to share a lane and pass the cars?

Even if it is illegal I'm not going to get all worked up about a bicycle or motorcycle passing a line of cars.

No, I'm pissed that he MADE a long line of traffic "Share the road, man!", then didn't follow basic traffic laws such as waiting at a red light (it was RED RED, not about to change) or waiting in line with the rest of us for ID check, he even CUT IN FRONT OF a car that had been waiting and shoved his CAC in the guard's face, then rolled on through the gate.

Fuck that guy and his GD bike.  FOLLOW THE LAWS AND RULES OF THE ROAD, OR EXPECT TO BE TREATED LIKE SHIT.

It seems simple to me.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 6:16:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Watch the video.

The milk shake thing kinda sucks. But this is freakin hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdDxjge5hmY

This is coming from a bike mechanic working in the industry 28 years.

Oh, those poor bastards....that had to suck!
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 6:20:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
For the way some of you talk in here I need a freaking AR mount for my bike.  That's going to ruin the aerodynamics!

How about this - I'm going to ride defensively even if that means that I'm going to sit in the middle of your precious lane until it is safe for me to get over.  If you don't like it, then you can kiss my fine ass.

Fair enough. When I pass you I'm going to hit the shoulder, slow down and then floor it. Showering you with gravel and dust. If you don't like it..........
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 6:26:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Watch the video.

The milk shake thing kinda sucks. But this is freakin hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdDxjge5hmY

This is coming from a bike mechanic working in the industry 28 years.

Oh, those poor bastards....that had to suck!

It would suck and make me chuckle at the same time.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 6:31:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shave your legs?

Only during race season

Quoted:
Wearing that sexy shirt, I'd just put you in the back of my truck and rape you somewhere out deep in the woods.

That's what you get for wearing clothes like that.

Quoted:
No problems if you obey all the other laws on public roads that all the other licensed 2 and 4-wheeled vehicles do.

* shrugs *

I yield at stop signs and stop lights. If there are other cars I will stop, but if not I keep on trucking. Most stop lights here are triggered by weight, I am all of 195 pounds all geared up, bike and all.

If your not going to obey the law then stay off the road or quit bitching. If I decide to run over you with my 3/4 ton Dodge 4 door 4 wheel drive at 70 miles an hour, your LCP is not gonna make a bit of difference. Even though I'm sure you look like a real badass in that shirt and shorts. Obey the laws or ride trails.

Why should he come to a full stop at a stop sign if there is nobody around?

It hurts nobody for him to roll through that stop sign But here you are telling him that you're going to kill him with "MAH FOUR DOOR FOUR WHEEL DRIVE DODGE TRUCK."  I think you have issues.

Because it is required of all vehicles. Even if you are special you have to stop.  

No no. I'm not asking what the law is. I'm asking W-H-Y you should stop if nobody is around.

If you were at the range and somebody had an illegal NFA gun, would you report him? Because that's what THE LAW SAYS, right?

Laws are not always logical or just.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 6:32:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I find bicyclist on the roads annoying.  They have the right to be there and therefore I cannot lawfully do anything to them.  That being said, I try to annoy them just as badly as they annoy me.  Guess which one of us gets most butt hurt.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 6:35:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I ride a bicycle too, every other day. But, I'm smart enough to stay the fuck off the roads because verses 6,000lb cars I lose the physics game. Plus, I don't want to be in people's way when I'm not going to a job, or on a schedule, or doing anything but being an obstacle for vehicles that were designed for the highways.

I stay on the secondary roads on the rare occasion I ride public ways, but I much prefer the bike trail.

Never understood why the hardcore roadies avoid the bike trails. "Oooh, dogs and old ladies". Yeah, you wanna hit that or a Suburban going 65?
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 6:40:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Still havnt answered my question..... can you pop a fuckin wheelie!?!
" i huck 8' to flat everyday" thats awesome, takes me back to '02
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 6:43:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Why should he come to a full stop at a stop sign if there is nobody around?

It hurts nobody for him to roll through that stop sign But here you are telling him that you're going to kill him with "MAH FOUR DOOR FOUR WHEEL DRIVE DODGE TRUCK."  I think you have issues.

Because it is required of all vehicles. Even if you are special you have to stop.  

Nope, it is not required in all states.  In some states a bicycle is only required to yeild at a stop sign.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 6:47:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I ride a bicycle too, every other day. But, I'm smart enough to stay the fuck off the roads because verses 6,000lb cars I lose the physics game. Plus, I don't want to be in people's way when I'm not going to a job, or on a schedule, or doing anything but being an obstacle for vehicles that were designed for the highways.

I stay on the secondary roads on the rare occasion I ride public ways, but I much prefer the bike trail.

Never understood why the hardcore roadies avoid the bike trails. "Oooh, dogs and old ladies". Yeah, you wanna hit that or a Suburban going 65?

It's about heart rate. The risk of the 6,000 lb vehicle is worth it when you can't gain the fitness level  you are aspiring to.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 6:49:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No problems if you obey all the other laws on public roads that all the other licensed 2 and 4-wheeled vehicles do.

* shrugs *

This
the bike riders in town that act like a vehicle when it suits them and then act like a pedestrian when it suits them requires extra awareness
in the city where I work, we have bike lanes - like the idea
however when they put the lane between two vehicle lanes and the bike rider wants to turn there are usually problems
bike riders that don't use the lane and ride like they are in the lane are a problem
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 7:57:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

* shrugs *

This
the bike riders in town that act like a vehicle when it suits them and then act like a pedestrian when it suits them requires extra awareness
however when they put the lane between two vehicle lanes and the bike rider wants to turn there are usually problems
bike riders that don't use the lane and ride like they are in the lane are a problem

Car drivers want cyclists to obey all the rules of the road when it suits the driver.

Car drivrs are much less scrupulous about obeying laws that don't suit them as a driver - speed limits, no U-turn signs, no right on red signs, complete stop at stop signs and right on red, yielding to pedestrians in a crosswalk, etc.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 9:10:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This

Car drivers want cyclists to obey all the rules of the road when it suits the driver.

Car drivrs are much less scrupulous about obeying laws that don't suit them as a driver - speed limits, no U-turn signs, no right on red signs, complete stop at stop signs and right on red, yielding to pedestrians in a crosswalk, etc.[/quote]

But, but, but - all that's OK because those cars can maintain the maximum speed allowed on the road...................

Link Posted: 6/28/2013 9:27:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Speed limit 15-20mph?  Where are you, a playground?
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Originall

No no. I'm not asking what the law is. I'm asking W-H-Y you should stop if nobody is around.

If you were at the range and somebody had an illegal NFA gun, would you report him? Because that's what THE LAW SAYS, right?

It would seem you are unaware of the number of collisions at intersections when people ran the light

thinking no one was coming. You may get fined for that stop sign law, but the law of physics can kill

you. If someone ran a light and you collided with them you would be cool with it as long as they thought

no one was coming.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like when cyclists ride the white line like a bear on a wire, when the shoulder is like 4 feet wide and freshly paved.

You realize that all kinds of crap accumulates to the right of the white line, correct?

All the stuff that gets blown out of the traffic lanes ends up there.  If you ride on that, you end up with flats in short order.

Then perhaps you should operate a vehicle appropriate for roads of those conditions...say like a car or truck?

It's also dangerous for visibility reasons.

Link Posted: 6/28/2013 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Bike trails tend to be okay for a comfort bike, but it gets nasty and dangerous sometimes with road bikes.  Only about 10-15 miles of my normal ride up north here are paved, rather than dirt/pebbles.

Link Posted: 6/28/2013 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

* shrugs *

This

Car drivrs are much less scrupulous about obeying laws that don't suit them as a driver - speed limits, no U-turn signs, no right on red signs, complete stop at stop signs and right on red, yielding to pedestrians in a crosswalk, etc.

So that makes it ok for bike riders to do it?

Two wrongs, et al?
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 11:39:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

+1
I started riding long miles again about a month ago - had never ridden on busy roads before, now I'm in a subdivision in the 'burbs.

My road experience lasted about a mile, just once.  After getting buzzed more than once on a 4-lane road, and flipped off for just riding as far to the right as possible, I decided I didn't want to be a hood ornament eventually.

I'm the kind that won't ride a donorcycle due to the dangers of the road.  cycles are even worse - there is no driving offensively to get out of trouble.  I'll navigate the back roads and trails, thank you.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 12:07:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bike trails tend to be okay for a comfort bike, but it gets nasty and dangerous sometimes with road bikes.  Only about 10-15 miles of my normal ride up north here are paved, rather than dirt/pebbles.  

The paved trails here are everywhere, and very nice on a road bike...which is what I ride. No worries about cars or traffic, I can see whatever might be an issue coming a long way off (dog, baby stroller, etc.), and it's generally punctuated by trees and shade which is awesome compared to a hot day on the road.

I guess I'm lucky there, but even when I do ride roads I find county roads or secondary access ways where traffic is light. Fuck riding on the road, I want no part of it.

Link Posted: 6/28/2013 12:12:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Our trails get a lot of use - from kids, to walkers, to runners, etc.

The hardcore roadies out here tend to average 20-25+mph.  I think it would be more dangerous on the trail than it is riding around on country roads.

I'm a roadie, and I ride and train on the roads.  I'm aware of the risks.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

* shrugs *

This

Two wrongs, et al?

Where did I say that?

More of a "First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend's eye" statement.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 12:23:35 PM EDT
[#25]
dude cant pop a wheelie
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 1:02:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The hardcore roadies out here tend to average 20-25+mph.  I think it would be more dangerous on the trail than it is riding around on country roads.

I average 21-22mph, I'm on heavy use trails every other day. My trails go through a college, it's got folks on it at all times. It's never been an issue, really. Ring my bell, tell them I'm coming on their left, viola. I've only had 1 dog lunge at me ever. Once and a great while I will have to get on the brakes or stop. Big whoop.

But again, on the roads even with less obstacles - which do you wanna contend with? Whacking a 150lb jogger or a getting pegged by a dump truck?

I'll take hitting an old lady, kid or dog any fucking day of the week. Plus, I'm never in the way of traffic.

Seems to be a complete no-brainer, if you have a trail network with the distance to suit your goals.

Link Posted: 6/28/2013 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

* shrugs *

This

Two wrongs, et al?

Where did I say that?

More of a "First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend's eye" statement.

+100 this and his previous statement.  I see far more vehicles breaking laws than I do bikes.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 1:40:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I average 21-22mph, I'm on heavy use trails every other day. My trails go through a college, it's got folks on it at all times. It's never been an issue, really. Ring my bell, tell them I'm coming on their left, viola. I've only had 1 dog lunge at me ever. Once and a great while I will have to get on the brakes or stop. Big whoop.

But again, on the roads even with less obstacles - which do you wanna contend with? Whacking a 150lb jogger or a getting pegged by a dump truck?

I'll take hitting an old lady, kid or dog any fucking day of the week. Plus, I'm never in the way of traffic.

Seems to be a complete no-brainer, if you have a trail network with the distance to suit your goals.

People are just fucking stupid sometimes. I am not as hardcore as you guys i ride my mountain bike I only average 10-15 depending on how ambitious i feel and how much i smoked the night before.

riding at maybe 15 on a multi use trail last night had a couple walking with a stroller in front of me i shout out on your left and dude with the stroller decides to dash in front of me off to the left side of the trail.

we have lots of bike lanes and wide shoulders that do get cleaned by the street sweepers and the hardcore bike trails here are too long for most walkers.

I need to get a dang bell for my bike
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 3:34:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sounds like you have some great bike paths in your area.  There is no way in hell to maintain 20 mph on The Strand near Redondo/Hermosa/Manhattan Bch Piers or near Venice Beach.  Other areas are pretty reasonable - get away from the popular areas, imagine that.

I'd much rather deal with vehicular traffic than a crowded mulit-use path.  Vehicles are much more predictable overall - drivers follow the rules of the road a hell of a lot better than the people on a multi-use path.  If I hit the 6 y/o that runs out in front of me at 15mph I'm probably going to kill the kid - I'd rather take my chances on the road as I've had far fewer close calls with cars.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 6:18:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Originall

It would seem you are unaware of the number of collisions at intersections when people ran the light  
thinking no one was coming. You may get fined for that stop sign law, but the law of physics can kill
you. If someone ran a light and you collided with them you would be cool with it as long as they thought
no one was coming.

You hate them for doing something that might end poorly if they are irresponsible about it?

Are you Dianne Feinstein?
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 8:13:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like you have some great bike paths in your area.  There is no way in hell to maintain 20 mph on The Strand near Redondo/Hermosa/Manhattan Bch Piers or near Venice Beach.  Other areas are pretty reasonable - get away from the popular areas, imagine that.

I'd much rather deal with vehicular traffic than a crowded mulit-use path.  Vehicles are much more predictable overall - drivers follow the rules of the road a hell of a lot better than the people on a multi-use path.  If I hit the 6 y/o that runs out in front of me at 15mph I'm probably going to kill the kid - I'd rather take my chances on the road as I've had far fewer close calls with cars.

Do as ya please, but I'll hit 20 pedestrians, even a kid, before I'll opt for a single vehicle hitting me. That's the thing....you can ride on the road for 20 years without any incident, but one texting bitch that swerves into you and you're dead.

Fuck that. If road is all ya got, I guess I understand...but even then I'd ride mountain rather than contend with inattentive drivers. I can't even stand to be in traffic on a motorcycle, if I can help it.

Link Posted: 6/28/2013 8:21:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Bicycle riders are oddly militant when it comes to drivers, as expressed by the OP when he proudly proclaimed he keyed a car who got too close.

My bottom line to the bicycle nazis is this: The roads are intended for MOTORIZED VEHICLES that can safely keep up with surrounding traffic. You and your bicycle are slow speed bumps that impede the flow of traffic, and your snotty "It's our road, too" attitude gets you nowhere but a trip to the morgue.

It's a practical matter - people piloting 2 tons of steel at 40 mph must have the right-of-way, for YOUR safety and theirs. If a driver runs over you and kills you it will cause the driver some sadness, but in the end it was your foolish act of putting yourself in danger that caused your demise.

You can be stubborn, flip off drivers, and put cute little bumper stickers on your cars and bikes, but you KNOW you are acting like an idiot by tootling along defiantly at 15 mph while traffic rolls past at 35, trying to dodge your silly ass (yes, your silly ass, for playing in traffic). What it boils down to is that in most cities there is no place for bicycles on the roads, except for roads with marked bike lanes. Little 2-lane windey roads with no shoulders and regular vehicular traffic might be scenic, but they are death traps for you, so cut it out.

Link Posted: 6/28/2013 8:35:41 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I can't even stand to be in traffic on a motorcycle, if I can help it.

Common sense versus being juvenile obstinate.

I was turning left at a red light, waiting for jaywalking peds to clear out in front of me, the van behind me saw only the light turn green, not my 35' long, 12 foot high, 40 ton white concrete truck. Ran right into the side of me, hitting me so hard the entire front clip of the Chevy Astro fell off in the street. I believe the cops exact words were, "What the fuck were you thinking". To which he replied, "I saw the light turn green".

You are correct, a motorcycle is not safe in an urban environment. Some people are either arguing this point to be argumentative, or truly believe they have the right....to die on a bicycle.

Different strokes for different folks. We ride our bikes on paths, not city streets.

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:34:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Bicycle riders are oddly militant when it comes to drivers, as expressed by the OP when he proudly proclaimed he keyed a car who got too close.
My bottom line to the bicycle nazis is this: The roads are intended for MOTORIZED VEHICLES that can safely keep up with surrounding traffic. You and your bicycle are slow speed bumps that impede the flow of traffic, and your snotty "It's our road, too" attitude gets you nowhere but a trip to the morgue.

It's a practical matter - people piloting 2 tons of steel at 40 mph must have the right-of-way, for YOUR safety and theirs. If a driver runs over you and kills you it will cause the driver some sadness, but in the end it was your foolish act of putting yourself in danger that caused your demise.

You can be stubborn, flip off drivers, and put cute little bumper stickers on your cars and bikes, but you KNOW you are acting like an idiot by tootling along defiantly at 15 mph while traffic rolls past at 35, trying to dodge your silly ass (yes, your silly ass, for playing in traffic). What it boils down to is that in most cities there is no place for bicycles on the roads, except for roads with marked bike lanes. Little 2-lane windey roads with no shoulders and regular vehicular traffic might be scenic, but they are death traps for you, so cut it out.

Not too close, the driver pushed my wife off the road and was trying to push me off the road.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 6:50:33 AM EDT
[#35]
what am I going to do about it? I'm going to asked you to please stay on your side of the road/lane and not to weave all over the lane when there is traffic. I'm willing to share the road, but you make it very hard for me to get around you when there is a lot of traffic.

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 7:58:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Was teaching my daughter to drive this weekend, we were going through a downtown section with a large 4-lane business district that has parking along the street. A huge gaggle of cyclists, maybe 30-40, were staged in the parking places as we're coming along in the left hand lane (leaving their parked lane and the right hand lane completely open).

Without any regard for us coming, they just swarmed out into the street and went completely across the road (including getting slightly into the center turn lane) just as we got up on them. They just pulled right in front of us, made my daughter have to peg the brakes to keep from running them over.

Then, instead of composing themselves and settling into a single lane they just occupied the entire roadway and lurched along slowly in front of us until they got to a traffic light, which about half of them ran when it turned red. They kept rolling in all the lanes at a brisk 11mph in a 35mph zone for the next mile or so without anyone behind them being able to pass or overtake them, before turning left on a road which included most of the group turning from the left and right hand lanes, instead of the dedicated left hand turn lane.

They ignored maybe half a dozen traffic laws, broke just as many, and freaked my kiddo out so they could stay in their big timid pack of stupidity.

The next morning I got up and rode 20 miles without being in the way of a single car, and without breaking a single law.

Dunno how I do it, but I can tell you as a bike rider I am growing to hate roadies with a searing passion.

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 8:04:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Watch the video.

I never get tired of this video.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 8:05:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Was teaching my daughter to drive this weekend, we were going through a downtown section with a large 4-lane business district that has parking along the street. A huge gaggle of cyclists, maybe 30-40, were staged in the parking places as we're coming along in the left hand lane (leaving their parked lane and the right hand lane completely open).

Without any regard for us coming, they just swarmed out into the street and went completely across the road (including getting slightly into the center turn lane) just as we got up on them. They just pulled right in front of us, made my daughter have to peg the brakes to keep from running them over.

Then, instead of composing themselves and settling into a single lane they just occupied the entire roadway and lurched along slowly in front of us until they got to a traffic light, which about half of them ran when it turned red. They kept rolling in all the lanes at a brisk 11mph in a 35mph zone for the next mile or so without anyone behind them being able to pass or overtake them, before turning left on a road which included most of the group turning from the left and right hand lanes, instead of the dedicated left hand turn lane.

They ignored maybe half a dozen traffic laws, broke just as many, and freaked my kiddo out so they could stay in their big timid pack of stupidity.

The next morning I got up and rode 20 miles without being in the way of a single car, and without breaking a single law.

Dunno how I do it, but I can tell you as a bike rider I am growing to hate roadies with a searing passion.

It's called TDF syndrome. This time of year it lasts for about a month and is sometimes easily cured by certain drugs.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 8:16:24 AM EDT
[#39]
ZF's

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 8:19:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Wearing that sexy shirt, I'd just put you in the back of my truck and rape you somewhere out deep in the woods.

That's what you get for wearing clothes like that.

Slut was asking for it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 8:21:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Just pick smart routes.  We had a guy get splattered a couple weeks ago. Dead.  He was riding clean and legal on a busy road,  on  the fog stripe, when some chick fucking with her cell phone sent him to the Tour de France in the sky.  I used to ride that road, but quit around '01 because the traffic got too scary for me.

To echo others, it bugs the hell out of me when guys ride the road  when our first class groundbreaking Rails-to-Trails MUP is 40 feet to the right. On a 2-lane 50 mph narrow road, no less.

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 8:22:43 AM EDT
[#42]
OP, you ride a bike, take it off the road and stay in the bike lane.  Automobiles belong on the road.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 8:32:38 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Just pick smart routes.  We had a guy get splattered a couple weeks ago. Dead.  He was riding clean and legal on a busy road,  on  the fog stripe, when some chick fucking with her cell phone sent him to the Tour de France in the sky.  I used to ride that road, but quit around '01 because the traffic got too scary for me.

To echo others, it bugs the hell out of me when guys ride the road  when our first class groundbreaking Rails-to-Trails MUP is 40 feet to the right. On a 2-lane 50 mph narrow road, no less.

Riding is dangerous in today's climate. I have a 5 mile commute to my chosen bike trail and ride it even though most of the trail is not conducive to 700X23 tires.  I follow all laws and about 2.5 miles of that commute is in a designated bike lane. The sign says "bicycle may make use of full lane". Yet, some people have no idea how to read and look at pictures.

I remember, as a kid, I used to volunteer at triathalons and bike races. I still have an entire closet full of t-shirts. One day, an inbred asshole with a lifted up 3/4 ton truck and a confederate flag rear window display decided that he wanted to mess with people close to the end of the 100k race. He ended up running a half dozen or so cyclists off the road before the police came and arrested him. Several people were injured. It was glorious to see him slammed to the ground and manhandled by the officers. I was responsible for radioing his actions to the ARES coordinator who was right in front of several deputies. I forget what the charges were, but I remember he was charged with a serious felony
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Riding is dangerous in today's climate. I have a 5 mile commute to my chosen bike trail and ride it even though most of the trail is not conducive to 700X23 tires.

I have some 700x35c Schwalbe Kojaks that I really like on unpaved  surfaces.   Much better than 700x23's.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 8:43:16 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Riding is dangerous in today's climate. I have a 5 mile commute to my chosen bike trail and ride it even though most of the trail is not conducive to 700X23 tires.

I have some 700x35c Schwalbe Kojaks that I really like on unpaved  surfaces.   Much better than 700x23's.

I run Schwalbe Ultremo ZX's on the road bike. My main ride is my cannondale T2. I"m a big fam of the marathon series of tires. I've run marathon racers(35c) for several thousand miles with no flats.

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 8:55:44 AM EDT
[#46]
none of you schwalbe guys can pop a wheelie, so this whole argument is ghey.
no one can run you over if they are in awe of your awesome wheelie skills.
learn to wheelie, the life it saves just might be your own...............
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 9:12:01 AM EDT
[#47]
I avg 20mph every ride, too, though sometimes my 12" dick slows down my leg speed. I can only ride for five hours at a time before my supermodel wife needs me back home.
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I avg 20mph every ride, too, though sometimes my 12" dick slows down my leg speed. I can only ride for five hours at a time before my supermodel wife needs me back home.

psssh, only 5 hours?

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 9:36:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

* shrugs *

This

Two wrongs, et al?

Where did I say that?

No, you didn't say that, I did.  Pointing fingers at vehicle drivers and saying "YOU OBEY THE LAWS BUDDY" doesn't work when YOU'RE NOT.

Two wrongs don't make a right.   Obey the damned rules of the road, or expect to be treated like shit.   That means no weaving amongst vehicles, or ignoring stop signs and red lights on a whim.

Yeah, I know, that grates on bike riders' sensitivities, after all, they CAN, so they SHOULD, right?  Just make sure you car drivers don't get in the way, or try to pass when the bikers can't get over 25 mph... cause that's disobeying the rules of the road.

Hypocritical bullshit, and it's why nobody gives a shit about you on your bikes.

Tough truth, but it's still true.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top