Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2013 2:46:39 PM EDT
I just bought some hamburger meat from a local supermarket and when I got home and opened the package, I was hit by a STRONG smell of rotten egg/ sulfur.  

I took that package back and grabbed another different style package  that was not processed in the stores meat department,  when I got home and opened it.. it also smelled strong of rotten eggs.  

Both packages were well within date and did not appear unusual visually.

Im not going to eat the meat but does this smell mean the meat is spoiled?
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Return it.  Don't eat it. Yes - its spoiled.

And carefully wash any surfaces that it touched.

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 2:47:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Rotten or tainted with something rotten
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#3]
FPNI
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#4]
eat it and report back
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Live a little. Stomach acid is stronger than any bacteria.  

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 3:01:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
eat it and report back

You must be from the FDA.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 3:02:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 3:03:21 PM EDT
[#8]
They put the wrong code date on it somewhere. It happens. Good thing you noticed it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#9]
sell by dates are not regulated by law

Is dating required by federal law?

Except for infant formula (see below), product dating is not generally required by Federal
regulations. However, if a calendar date is used, it must express both the month and day of the month (and the year,
in the case of shelf-stable and frozen products). If a calendar date is shown, immediately adjacent to the date must
be a phrase explaining the meaning of that date such as "sell-by" or "use before."
There is no uniform or universally accepted system used for food dating in the United States. Although dating of
some foods is required by more than 20 states, there are areas of the country where much of the food supply has some
type of open date and other areas where almost no food is dated.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Food_Product_Dating/index.asp

infact, in some states, you can redate expired products it appears

A-Okay To Change Sell-By Date On Expired Meat, Says New York State [UPDATED]

The Huffington Post

Joe Daly and Colin Sterling

First Posted: 06/02/10 07:42 PM ET Updated: 05/25/11
You know those nifty "sell-by" tags on food that seem like they're
there for your safety and to separate our 21st Century grocery stores
from, say, medieval street fairs? Well, it turns out they're not for
you. Evidently, they're for the convenience of the store owner,
according to this unsettling report in the Brooklyn Paper.

An angry customer of a Brooklyn Heights Key Food pointed out that
store store placed a newer "sell-by" tag over an expired, 11-day old one
on a (spoiled) D'Artagnan chicken.

If that wasn't unsettling enough, state officials at New York's Department of Agriculture and Markets seem pretty lax about the whole thing:

"'Sell by' dates are nothing but a tool for store managers,"
said Jessica Ziehm, spokeswoman for the Department of Agriculture and
Markets that inspected the Key Food after Viljoen's claims. "It's not
illegal to re-date or re-package, though they're still required to sell
safe, wholesome products. We went there and found no problems."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/02/relabeling-expired-chicke_n_598484.html
however, whole pieces of meat, primarily beef products, and some pork if cured,  cyrovac packed may be wet aged, or, in special refridgerated areas, dry aged for severarl weeks, with no issues.

ground meat products, however, due to the grinding process, tend to get a lot of bacteria and germs that cause spoilage much quicker without any curing or other agents.
edit - food lion was notorious for redating meat,  and regrinding hamburger meat - look up the reports....

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 3:25:08 PM EDT
[#10]

The store's cooler may have broken down after the meat was wrapped.

They may be trying to sell it using the color of the meat as a guide for freshness.

At the very least, bring it to their attention.

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 3:25:46 PM EDT
[#11]
dibs on guns and ammo.

Maybe SO, but need a pic first.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 3:26:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Pretty weird that it looks fresh but stinks that bad.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#13]
What's weird is that 2 different packages smelled, one packaged at the store and one prepackaged.  

Im thinking cooler failure.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 3:33:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What's weird is that 2 different packages smelled, one packaged at the store and one prepackaged.  

Cooler Failure. That would be a good band name. Just have to figure out the genre.

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 3:34:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Likely.
They probably don't know about it. You should call them and let them know or tell them if you're returning it soon. Either way, get a refund not more meat from there tonight.
Now they're going to have to call out an expensive saturday night service call. Oh well, it's part of the biz.

BonAppetit !

-JC
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 3:38:46 PM EDT
[#16]
A little long pig got mixed in.
Seriously I wouldn't eat it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The store's cooler may have broken down after the meat was wrapped.

They may be trying to sell it using the color of the meat as a guide for freshness.

At the very least, bring it to their attention.

That would do it...their wrap and other brands, if they were in the same cooler and it broke...it would all spoil. It would take a number of hours to spoil though.

Gotta wonder why they are still trying to sell it instead of turning in an insurance claim.

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 5:16:46 PM EDT
[#18]
return for sure....don't eat it. ..why get sick
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Why waste it?  Just crumble it up and brown it in a hot over 160 degree skillet( cast iron preferred) and use it for chili or taco filling.  The heavy seasonings will mask any off taste.  This will also prepare you for any calamity wherein there is no power due to EMP/Solar Flare/Hurricane/Tornado/Civil Unrest.  Better to find out now with medical facilities open and available than 2-3 weeks into a survival situation.  Whats the worst that can happen?  Are you under 6 years old?  Elderly or have a compromised immune system?  Must be a lottery winner or using an EBT card to throw out good meat.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why waste it?  Just crumble it up and brown it in a hot over 160 degree skillet( cast iron preferred) and use it for chili or taco filling.  The heavy seasonings will mask any off taste.  This will also prepare you for any calamity wherein there is no power due to EMP/Solar Flare/Hurricane/Tornado/Civil Unrest.  Better to find out now with medical facilities open and available than 2-3 weeks into a survival situation.  Whats the worst that can happen?  Are you under 6 years old?  Elderly or have a compromised immune system?  Must be a lottery winner or using an EBT card to throw out good meat.

The stores... They will give you your money back.  I don't think I need any "practice" eating spoiled meat.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 8:26:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Prepare your anus.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I've heard that irradiation can cause that odor.

Nevertheless, I threw out a pound recently that was sulfurous enough to make me gag.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top