Site Notices
10/30/2014 3:55:04 PM
Author
Posted: 6/8/2013 6:46:39 PM
[Last Edit: 6/8/2013 7:01:17 PM by hiyaboa]
I just bought some hamburger meat from a local supermarket and when I got home and opened the package, I was hit by a STRONG smell of rotten egg/ sulfur.

I took that package back and grabbed another different style package that was not processed in the stores meat department, when I got home and opened it.. it also smelled strong of rotten eggs.

Both packages were well within date and did not appear unusual visually.

Im not going to eat the meat but does this smell mean the meat is spoiled?
CWO
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2013 6:47:14 PM
[Last Edit: 6/8/2013 6:48:21 PM by CWO]
Return it. Don't eat it. Yes - its spoiled.

And carefully wash any surfaces that it touched.
"The only failure of Liberty is that it does not automatically bestow honor, good character, self-discipline and personal responsibility upon its owner."
Chaingun
Tuff shit...start chewing मन्
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2013 6:47:58 PM
Rotten or tainted with something rotten
"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared so we may always be free." Ronald Reagan 1984
Stitches1974
My Tonka is bigger than your toy.
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2013 6:48:19 PM
FPNI
I thought I knew how scary the US .mil was, then I saw the tank-icon dogpiles in the pit.

Scarier than fucking nuclear weapons. 36_gauge
sharky30
Giggity Giggity Giggity
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2013 6:58:08 PM
eat it and report back
Vote for freedom, not political parties
Kann ich bitte ihre Papiere sehen?
Is it me or is it getting hot in here? And how did we get in this hand basket?

USS Ben Sisko's Mother F***ing Pimp Hand - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFD90iBvQWY
TheYellowThing
Eye on the sammich
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2013 7:00:14 PM
Live a little. Stomach acid is stronger than any bacteria.

coconutz
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2013 7:01:42 PM
Originally Posted By sharky30:
eat it and report back

You must be from the FDA.
P400
Nocturnal carnivore
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2013 7:02:10 PM
sigp226
freedom hating neocon war mongering bankster
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2013 7:03:21 PM
They put the wrong code date on it somewhere. It happens. Good thing you noticed it.
Next time you go to the next James Bond movie, you imagine him going on that mission armed with a sternly worded letter from The United Nations - Bill Whittle

Conqueror of the Test Post Forum.
cm
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2013 7:21:24 PM
[Last Edit: 6/8/2013 7:22:34 PM by cm]
sell by dates are not regulated by law

Is dating required by federal law?
Except for infant formula (see below), product dating is not generally required by Federal regulations. However, if a calendar date is used, it must express both the month and day of the month (and the year, in the case of shelf-stable and frozen products). If a calendar date is shown, immediately adjacent to the date must be a phrase explaining the meaning of that date such as "sell-by" or "use before."

There is no uniform or universally accepted system used for food dating in the United States. Although dating of some foods is required by more than 20 states, there are areas of the country where much of the food supply has some type of open date and other areas where almost no food is dated.
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Food_Product_Dating/index.asp

infact, in some states, you can redate expired products it appears

A-Okay To Change Sell-By Date On Expired Meat, Says New York State [UPDATED]

The Huffington Post Joe Daly and Colin Sterling First Posted: 06/02/10 07:42 PM ET Updated: 05/25/11

You know those nifty "sell-by" tags on food that seem like they're there for your safety and to separate our 21st Century grocery stores from, say, medieval street fairs? Well, it turns out they're not for you. Evidently, they're for the convenience of the store owner, according to this unsettling report in the Brooklyn Paper.

An angry customer of a Brooklyn Heights Key Food pointed out that store store placed a newer "sell-by" tag over an expired, 11-day old one on a (spoiled) D'Artagnan chicken.

If that wasn't unsettling enough, state officials at New York's Department of Agriculture and Markets seem pretty lax about the whole thing:

"'Sell by' dates are nothing but a tool for store managers," said Jessica Ziehm, spokeswoman for the Department of Agriculture and Markets that inspected the Key Food after Viljoen's claims. "It's not illegal to re-date or re-package, though they're still required to sell safe, wholesome products. We went there and found no problems."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/02/relabeling-expired-chicke_n_598484.html

however, whole pieces of meat, primarily beef products, and some pork if cured, cyrovac packed may be wet aged, or, in special refridgerated areas, dry aged for severarl weeks, with no issues.

ground meat products, however, due to the grinding process, tend to get a lot of bacteria and germs that cause spoilage much quicker without any curing or other agents.

edit - food lion was notorious for redating meat, and regrinding hamburger meat - look up the reports....

blackeye
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2013 7:25:08 PM

The store's cooler may have broken down after the meat was wrapped.

They may be trying to sell it using the color of the meat as a guide for freshness.

At the very least, bring it to their attention.

RovingTexan
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2013 7:25:46 PM
dibs on guns and ammo.

Maybe SO, but need a pic first.
Enlightenme556
OFFICIAL arfcom nickname The Butcher
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2013 7:26:27 PM
Pretty weird that it looks fresh but stinks that bad.
Originally Posted By Jdude:
GD is where you go to see some of the most brilliant subject matter experts in the country argue with some of the dumbest motherfuckers on the planet.
hiyaboa
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2013 7:29:48 PM
What's weird is that 2 different packages smelled, one packaged at the store and one prepackaged.

Im thinking cooler failure.
TheYellowThing
Eye on the sammich
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2013 7:33:34 PM
Originally Posted By hiyaboa:
What's weird is that 2 different packages smelled, one packaged at the store and one prepackaged.

Cooler Failure. That would be a good band name. Just have to figure out the genre.

Slopes-2-Shores
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2013 7:34:58 PM
Originally Posted By hiyaboa:

Likely.
They probably don't know about it. You should call them and let them know or tell them if you're returning it soon. Either way, get a refund not more meat from there tonight.
Now they're going to have to call out an expensive saturday night service call. Oh well, it's part of the biz.

BonAppetit !

-JC
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
Ernest Hemingway
underdogII
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2013 7:38:46 PM
A little long pig got mixed in.
Seriously I wouldn't eat it.
pcsutton
Member ....but not a 3rd member
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2013 7:38:55 PM

Originally Posted By blackeye:

The store's cooler may have broken down after the meat was wrapped.

They may be trying to sell it using the color of the meat as a guide for freshness.

At the very least, bring it to their attention.

That would do it...their wrap and other brands, if they were in the same cooler and it broke...it would all spoil. It would take a number of hours to spoil though.

Gotta wonder why they are still trying to sell it instead of turning in an insurance claim.
"I am compensating. If I could kill stuff with my dick from 200 yards I would not need a firearm would I?"-Zanther
"I swear, there is a limited amount of intelligence in the world and the population is increasing." - 96Ag
Sua Sponte!
artman54
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2013 9:16:46 PM
return for sure....don't eat it. ..why get sick
Gregor
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2013 12:19:57 AM
Why waste it? Just crumble it up and brown it in a hot over 160 degree skillet( cast iron preferred) and use it for chili or taco filling. The heavy seasonings will mask any off taste. This will also prepare you for any calamity wherein there is no power due to EMP/Solar Flare/Hurricane/Tornado/Civil Unrest. Better to find out now with medical facilities open and available than 2-3 weeks into a survival situation. Whats the worst that can happen? Are you under 6 years old? Elderly or have a compromised immune system? Must be a lottery winner or using an EBT card to throw out good meat.
dwkennedy
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2013 12:24:59 AM
Originally Posted By Gregor:
Why waste it? Just crumble it up and brown it in a hot over 160 degree skillet( cast iron preferred) and use it for chili or taco filling. The heavy seasonings will mask any off taste. This will also prepare you for any calamity wherein there is no power due to EMP/Solar Flare/Hurricane/Tornado/Civil Unrest. Better to find out now with medical facilities open and available than 2-3 weeks into a survival situation. Whats the worst that can happen? Are you under 6 years old? Elderly or have a compromised immune system? Must be a lottery winner or using an EBT card to throw out good meat.

The stores... They will give you your money back. I don't think I need any "practice" eating spoiled meat.
ponchsox
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2013 12:26:00 AM
Prepare your anus.
sleepdr
Snake oil salesman
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/9/2013 1:11:22 AM
I've heard that irradiation can cause that odor.

Nevertheless, I threw out a pound recently that was sulfurous enough to make me gag.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Like fine herbs, dreams only develop their full fragrance when crushed and ground into a fine powder.
-LowBeta