Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 5:13:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

holy christ these folks need to turn in their man- and woman-cards.

try the Big Mac.  5 miles long.  200 feet up.  on a 200lb enduro bike.  in 45MPH winds.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackinac_Bridge

I was going to bring this one up. Been across that bridge multiple times on a sport bike. That steel grating is a pain in the ass.

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 5:22:30 AM EDT
[#2]
The woman.

"I was, like, so scared I had a panic attack and almost drove into oncoming traffic..."

Uhhhhh.....there is no oncoming traffic you stupid whore.

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 5:24:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The woman.

"I was, like, so scared I had a panic attack and almost drove into oncoming traffic..."

I just chalked that up to horrible editing in the studio.  Is the whole system divided like that?  Or might that have happened on the approach to the bridge before it divides?
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 5:25:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

holy christ these folks need to turn in their man- and woman-cards.

try the Big Mac.  5 miles long.  200 feet up.  on a 200lb enduro bike.  in 45MPH winds.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackinac_Bridge

ar-jedi

http://losdos.dyndns.org/public/riding/02aug2004-sixdays/IMG_1290.JPG

http://losdos.dyndns.org/public/riding/02aug2004-sixdays/IMG_1300.JPG

http://losdos.dyndns.org/public/riding/02aug2004-sixdays/IMG_1304.JPG

The Mackinac bridge freaked me out, admittedly. Looking down through the metal grating to the water from that height... YIKES!!! Just thinking about it makes me shudder in nervousness. I only drove over it once... I'd probably get used to it if I had to drive over it fairly frequently.  

ok -- for total disclosure i was warned about the metal grating beforehand by some Michigan riders i was with.  and i was also advised that i needed to make a choice: ride in the left hand lane on the metal grating -- and have a view *way* down plus deal with the inevitable "wandering" that comes with riding a motorcycle on grating //OR// ride in the right hand lane which is oversurfaced with concrete.  the problem with the right hand lane is the proximity to the guardrail and thereafter about 4 seconds of freefall...

a motocross helmet has a long, extended brow visor to assist in keeping mud from the bike in front of you from ending up on your goggles/in your mouth.  this very same feature makes for a nice "wind sail".  when i crossed the Big Mac the winds were at 35-45MPH (blowing left to right in my pics) and on the early part of the bridge the gusts were catching my helmet visor and of course pushing the bike around a bit as well (to the right, towards the guardrail).  this pretty much made the decision for me to stay in the left lane and ride the grating.  i did my best to keep my head up and not look down through the grating, as i had been warned prior about getting vertigo from doing so.  my friend chris (on the red Honda XR in the pics above) told me later that the grating freaked him out and hence he moved into the right lane despite the proximity to the guardrail and the heavy L->R winds.  

so it truly was "pick your poison".

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 5:33:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Done the mackinac bridge, wasn't that bad.

I want to try this one:

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 5:34:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Many people around here were deathly afraid of the old Sunshine Skyway bridge
http://i.imgur.com/dQke6ta.jpg    

Imagine being THAT guy!

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 5:37:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The woman.

I just chalked that up to horrible editing in the studio.  Is the whole system divided like that?  Or might that have happened on the approach to the bridge before it divides?

You're too kind.  My thoughts immediately went to her having hallucinated on 20mg of Xanax, or just being so completely unaware of her surroundings that 'oncoming' meant traffic she was overtaking.

I'm a bad person....

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 5:40:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I want to try this one:

Wow.  Not bad.

I can see it's popular with photographers.

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 5:40:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I want to try this one:

Isn't that in France?
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 5:41:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So afraid, they pay people to drive their car over a bridge. Jesus H Christ...

Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way?  My mother for instance is one of those people.  She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either.  Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me.  Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy.  I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face.  Just my thought. What do you think.  Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain.  I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know. (This is a joke of course.)
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 5:45:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want to try this one:

Isn't that in France?

Yup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millau_Viaduct
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 5:45:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want to try this one:

Wow.  Not bad.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2123/2545570397_42500a3999.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/69/156572735_fc0e19a508.jpg

Impressive.

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 5:51:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I imagine most people have more of a problem with the newer (northern) span of the Chesapeak Bay Bridge.

The new span has grates in the outer lanes that force you to drive a lot closer to the guard rail than normal.

Built by the company that submitted the combination of the lowest bid and largest bribe to Gov. Agnew.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 5:54:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Tag because I'm scared of bridges too.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 6:03:41 AM EDT
[#15]
I can't say anything about those people... as I have my own "issues". Thankfully bridges isn't one of them.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 6:11:25 AM EDT
[#16]
The mackinac bridge has people that will drive you over (optional) , covered in the cost of the toll. I just wanted to do it for the lulz.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 6:19:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wow! some people will not drive over this bridge but business is booming for a drive over bridge service (someone drives your car over it for you).

http://on.aol.com/video/terrifying-bridge-leaves-commuters-too-scared-to-drive-517807975?hp=1&playlist=127167&icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl4|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D324563

Anyone drive over this bridge?

Blue Staters!
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 6:20:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't see the deal of making fun of people who don't like tall bridges.

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 6:29:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'd hit it while driving across.

That took way too long for someone to say.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 6:30:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Long?  Try the Lake Pontchartrain bridge.  Almost 24 miles.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Pontchartrain_Causeway

Scary?  Try driving the fucking Huey P. Long during rush hour in your 3-day old car.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huey_P._Long_Bridge_%28Jefferson_Parish%29

I was coming here to post this. Midpoint on the Pontchartrain Causeway and you can't see land.

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 6:37:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 6:39:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want to try this one:

Wow.  Not bad.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2123/2545570397_42500a3999.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/69/156572735_fc0e19a508.jpg

It's a mother beautiful bridge... It'll be there
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 6:39:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 6:40:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Sounds like a good gig. How does one get to be a bridge driver? It's like being a ferry pilot for crazy people.

and appearance doesn't matter

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 6:41:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 6:52:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Many people around here were deathly afraid of the old Sunshine Skyway bridge

http://i.imgur.com/dQke6ta.jpg    

I just logged in to post that.
The day the Skyway fell
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 6:52:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If some people couldn't constantly post about how badass they were and how everyone else in the world was a pathetic cheep, they would have nothing else to post about.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 7:01:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Long?  Try the Lake Pontchartrain bridge.  Almost 24 miles.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Pontchartrain_Causeway

Scary?  Try driving the fucking Huey P. Long during rush hour in your 3-day old car.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huey_P._Long_Bridge_%28Jefferson_Parish%29

I was coming here to post this. Midpoint on the Pontchartrain Causeway and you can't see land.    

How about that little kick on the Huey where the two sides did not line up correctly.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 7:04:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Drive across it all the time, most of the time conditions aren't great, you just have to watch out for the big ass trucks during high wind warnings, not scary at all.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 7:13:46 AM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 7:14:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If some people couldn't constantly post about how badass they were and how everyone else in the world was a pathetic cheep, they would have nothing else to post about.

You are missing the point.   Have you noticed how the media in general has been, almost glorifying, how people feel scared, terrified or whatever emphasizes weakness?   If someone is scared of something simply do not do it.  Driving over bridges is part of driving.   If someone cannot do it simply drive around or do not go where that bridge leads to.   This whole shit we are in today is just because of this me, me thing where people feel entitled to whatever even if they are not capable of doing something.    Feeling fear is natural and overcoming it just shows strength.   However, the feeling is that nowadays the norm is to "feel terrified" and feeling special about it.   This whole gun debate we are going through right now is partly from some people feeling "terrified" and feeling they have the right to ban them just to solve their own fantasies.  Screw everyone else.  
So, that woman feels "terrified" to cross a bloody bridge and becomes news?  Screw her.  Give up her license and hire a full time driver.    

So, I have nothing against people having limitations.  We all have.  Just live with them and do not try to make the world conform to them.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 7:15:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Really?? The Chesapeake Bay Bridge?? I was expecting something like this:

http://www.shotpix.com/images/32603213229773493874.gif

Buncha vaginas.

Galloping Gertie!
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 7:16:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Who the fuck still goes to AOL for news?
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 7:18:58 AM EDT
[#34]
I am not going to lie going over a high bridge with an open grating road gets me quite apprehensive.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 7:19:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Just another bridge. I will admit, that the first time I crossed it and they had opened rush hour traffic up using the left lane, I was a little WTF... There is very little margin for error when its opened for rush hour and can be a little sketchy. The bridge heading into Virginia Beach is awesome though.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 7:21:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are missing the point.   Have you noticed how the media in general has been, almost glorifying, how people feel scared, terrified or whatever emphasizes weakness?   If someone is scared of something simply do not do it.  Driving over bridges is part of driving.   If someone cannot do it simply drive around or do not go where that bridge leads to.   This whole shit we are in today is just because of this me, me thing where people feel entitled to whatever even if they are not capable of doing something.    Feeling fear is natural and overcoming it just shows strength.   However, the feeling is that nowadays the norm is to "feel terrified" and feeling special about it.   This whole gun debate we are going through right now is partly from some people feeling "terrified" and feeling they have the right to ban them just to solve their own fantasies.  Screw everyone else.  
So, that woman feels "terrified" to cross a bloody bridge and becomes news?  Screw her.  Give up her license and hire a full time driver.    

So, I have nothing against people having limitations.  We all have.  Just live with them and do not try to make the world conform to them.

You got all that from that news story?
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 7:26:52 AM EDT
[#37]
The only time bridges make me nervous is in the winter time.  I hit an icy spot on the George Washington bridge a couple years ago that had me a little freaked out.

I've crossed the bridge in the video a few times, no big deal.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 7:27:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 7:27:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Used to haul a chip truck over this one, nightly.  During winter storms it was entertaining. . .to day the least. . .

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 7:39:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The woman.

They have signs over each lane and will open up counter-flow traffic on the bridge to help ease rush hour traffic.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 8:23:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The woman.

They have signs over each lane and will open up counter-flow traffic on the bridge to help ease rush hour traffic.

I hate going across the eastbound bridge in an eighteen wheeler on good days and when they've got the westbound bridge shut down and all traffic using the eastbound bridge is unbearable.  Being on the bridge the day that woman crossed the centerline and hit the eighteen wheeler causing him to go off the bridge did not help my dislike of that bridge either.

If the eastbound bridge was like the westbound one it would be a whole lot more bearable, because the narrow lanes on the eastbound side and the fact that there are only two lanes make it a whole different kind of animal.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 8:38:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Yep... Confirmed.  Mankind is deteriorating at impressive speed.  Somehow the gene pool is cracking down resulting in stuff like that woman.  

Have you see the cartoons kids have to watch these days? It's no wonder they are so soft and wimpy now...

Lots of angst among the absurdity. I think it's a good indicator for the mental state of our society. We are so fooked.

No shit.
We have become a nation chock full of risk averse, skittish pussies.
A bridge? Really?
Unreal.

Try a single lane width goat trail with a sheer face on one side and a 1,000 foot dropoff on the other.
What I do for fun....
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 8:52:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Thats a hell of a gig, 20 crossings at $25.00 a pop. I have been over it in a semi, pretty cool really

This right here. The guy's making $500 minimum per day! Talk about finding a need and filling it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 9:43:11 AM EDT
[#44]
I design bridge for a living

Statistically, 3 bridges collapse per year on average and 6 people are killed.

since all the taxes being collected now are used to service debt instead of repair roadways, I am seeing more and more examples of really shockingly deteriorated bridges.

if this keeps up, you are going to see a lot of bridges close

the most recent job I did had timber piles supporting the bridge and some of the piles were eaten away to 10%  of the original section

I had to design big concrete jackets to go around the piles, just a bandaid repair, there's no money to replace the bridge

this is a major bridge, actually a viaduct about 25 spans long

obama spent a trillion on stimulus, but I've never the transportation industry so dead.

if a county puts out a tiny bridge replacement job that's worth a measly $200K in design fees, 13 or 14 companies will bid on it and the low bid will be like $75K

we are in a state of complete meltdown

our govenment has basically simply ceased to function as anything more than a vote buying scam and whores for the banking industry

my town collects $10K typcial property tax on a 4 bedroom house, the local schools have cracked linoleum on the floor from 1950

our government is simply nothing more than a scam, it is that simple

billions collected in taxes, nothing given back in return

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 9:58:54 AM EDT
[#45]
The Bay Bridge isn't bad. It can get a little hairy when they open up 2 way traffic on one span.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 11:21:06 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd hit it while driving across.

That took way too long for someone to say.  

Or drive Caroline acroos and half way there start yelling you're having a panic attack, when she panics yell at her that the only thing to calm your attack is a BJ

If she balks yell SUCK OR DIE

Link Posted: 6/8/2013 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 12:36:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I design bridge for a living

Statistically, 3 bridges collapse per year on average and 6 people are killed.

since all the taxes being collected now are used to service debt instead of repair roadways, I am seeing more and more examples of really shockingly deteriorated bridges.

if this keeps up, you are going to see a lot of bridges close

the most recent job I did had timber piles supporting the bridge and some of the piles were eaten away to 10%  of the original section

I had to design big concrete jackets to go around the piles, just a bandaid repair, there's no money to replace the bridge

this is a major bridge, actually a viaduct about 25 spans long

obama spent a trillion on stimulus, but I've never the transportation industry so dead.

if a county puts out a tiny bridge replacement job that's worth a measly $200K in design fees, 13 or 14 companies will bid on it and the low bid will be like $75K

we are in a state of complete meltdown

our govenment has basically simply ceased to function as anything more than a vote buying scam and whores for the banking industry

my town collects $10K typcial property tax on a 4 bedroom house, the local schools have cracked linoleum on the floor from 1950

our government is simply nothing more than a scam, it is that simple

billions collected in taxes, nothing given back in return

bingo
well said
government doesn't even pretend to do the things that government is actually supposed to do.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 12:39:32 PM EDT
[#49]
The "reporter" is a douche nozzle.
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 12:45:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Pretty sure that's FPS Russia

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top