Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/1/2013 9:20:56 PM EDT
Went out to close the garage and just happened to glance up at the sky. Was looking towards Vega and one of the stars got really big and bright for just a moment then vanished.

CSB
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:22:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not saying its aliens, but

IT'S ALIENS!
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:23:13 PM EDT
[#2]
you are probably having a stroke.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:23:52 PM EDT
[#4]
You may want to retake astronomy 101.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:24:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Went out to close the garage and just happened to glance up at the sky. Was looking towards Vega and one of the stars got really big and bright for just a moment then vanished.

CSB

I would recommend a pregnancy test....
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Supernovae last for years.  They don't just blink out in an instant.

It was an alien battlecruiser dropping out of hyperspace! Prepare Uranus for invasion.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

CSB

Iridium flare.

Look it up.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:27:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:27:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Break out the Champagne.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:27:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:28:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CSB

Iridium flare.

Look it up.

This.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#12]
you have an inoperative brain tumor
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Cool..
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You may want to retake astronomy 101.

I'm a taurus. What are you?
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Peak luminosity falls off sharply at around 20-30 days.  Much longer than a few seconds anyway.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#16]
This is the kind of shit that starts religions.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

CSB

Iridium flare.

Look it up.

I looked it up. That is not what I saw.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:36:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This.

The scale of a supernova is crazy.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:36:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Horvath battle cruiser dropping out of warp .

HIDE YOUR SYRUP !!!

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:38:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Oh, and I can say categorically that the WORST time to see an Iridium Flare is over your wife's shoulder when you're out in the parking lot somewhere bickering.

ADD kicks in... you look away, "Oh look, an Iridium Flare!"

<snort>

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:39:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CSB

Iridium flare.

Look it up.

Heavens above forecasts them and tells you where to look to see them. They're pretty freaky if you don't know what you just saw.

http://www.heavens-above.com/
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#23]
There are several videos of iridium flares on youtube.  Check them out and see if they look familiar.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#24]

What is that thing?
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:55:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There are several videos of iridium flares on youtube.  Check them out and see if they look familiar.

That's what I did. In those videos they moved across the sky, this did not move. It was there, it goy really big and bright and then it was gone. No moving across the sky like what's shown in the videos.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:55:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What is that thing?

An upside down, taxidermy deer butt.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#27]
twinkle twinkle little supernova
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Gamma ray burst?? The end is near!
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#29]
I saw something that fits this description down in FL back in 97. Thing is there were multiple flares and they were in a line and moving in the same direction!
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 10:01:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I saw something that fits this description down in FL back in 97. Thing is there were multiple flares and they were in a line and moving in the same direction!

This was singular. Just one very large and very bright flash. I looked at the star just a second before it happened.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 10:02:07 PM EDT
[#31]
This thread seems............. "Familiar!"

- Clint
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Let me do some research, because I remember reading an article about a week or two ago about a sudden surge in some kind of radiation (gamma?) from an area of space which, is theorized by astronomers, to preceed supernovae.

_MaH

Edit:  Hmmm...

Supernova Alert
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 10:07:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Maybe it has been gone, but the end of its light just reached us, at the moment he was looking.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 10:09:09 PM EDT
[#34]
The atmosphere distorts the light from stars.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 10:09:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The atmosphere distorts the light from stars.

Let's keep in mind that this is very true.

_MaH
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 10:13:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe it has been gone, but the end of its light just reached us, at the moment he was looking.
The light would be reaching us for years too.

OP I think you saw Uranus winking at you.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 10:15:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Here.  Something to read up on.

History of Supernova Observation

I don't know what you saw, but it did just cross my mind that - in the human history of observed supernovae - when one occurs the light doesn't just "go out".  Actually, something much more significant happens, and it attracts a lot of attention to the sky (perhaps, though, mostly by astronomers, and such a thing could likely go unnoticed by the unaided eye given today's prevalence of light pollution).

_MaH
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 10:26:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Let me do some research, because I remember reading an article about a week or two ago about a sudden surge in some kind of radiation (gamma?) from an area of space which, is theorized by astronomers, to preceed supernovae.

_MaH

Supernova Alert

We just got hit with some unknown interplanetary pulse that had the aurora acting up.  We're fucked

Check spaceweather.com
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 10:27:00 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Supernovae last for weeks years.  They don't just blink out in an instant.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 10:28:06 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CSB

Iridium flare.

Look it up.

I looked it up. That is not what I saw.
See if you can roll a pencil across a table with your mind.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 10:32:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

_MaH

Supernova Alert

We just got hit with some unknown interplanetary pulse that had the aurora acting up.  We're fucked

Check spaceweather.com

"Last night, Northern Lights spilled across the Canadian border into more than a dozen US states, turning the sky purple and green as far south as Colorado and Nebraska."

Sonuvabitch I missed it!

Okie-dokie, between this website and Heavens Above, I've got enough resources on hand to keep me plenty occupied watching the sky on my overnight camp-outs in the mountains this summer!

_MaH
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 10:33:55 PM EDT
[#42]
What you saw was probably a star that appeared brighter in your averted vision, but dimmed when you looked right at it.  And if your eyes aren't well adjusted to the dark, they do that a lot.  It takes about an hour in a dark sky location (outside of a town) for your eyes to adjust enough to see most of the naked-eye visible stars.

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 11:07:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What you saw was probably a star that appeared brighter in your averted vision, but dimmed when you looked right at it.  And if your eyes aren't well adjusted to the dark, they do that a lot.  It takes about an hour in a dark sky location (outside of a town) for your eyes to adjust enough to see most of the naked-eye visible stars.

I was looking right at it as it went from normal star, to big blue flash, then nothing. I'm positive it was not an optical trick played by night blindness or peripheral vision.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 11:11:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This thread seems............. "Familiar!"

http://i44.tinypic.com/2s1u8tv.jpg

- Clint

BINGO
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 11:16:21 PM EDT
[#45]
shooting star coming straight in.. and you were in the perfect spot?
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 11:18:49 PM EDT
[#46]
You were watching a c-beam glittering in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 11:19:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
shooting star coming straight in.. and you were in the perfect spot?

Might have been a toilet seat, then...

_MaH
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 11:23:32 PM EDT
[#48]
It was an inverse tachyon beam
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 11:36:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

CSB

I would recommend a pregnancy test....

Ha.

All arfcom advice ends with teh OP being diagnosed as pregnant or having aids.

Link Posted: 6/2/2013 12:42:57 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was looking right at it as it went from normal star, to big blue flash, then nothing. I'm positive it was not an optical trick played by night blindness or peripheral vision.
It might have been a thin layer of clouds moving through that gave way to a hole, then a thicker layer covered the star.  You can see quite a few stars through even thick clouds.  Or it could have been a nova.  But naked-eye supernovae are rare, there's usually one per 500 years, and they're very bright.  Bright enough to see in the daylight kind of bright.  And they stay that way for weeks.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top