User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
get a few... well worth it...

one in the bedroom, one stashed out of the way in the livingroom and one in the kitchen

no real need to practice but go for it...

She'll need to practice just so she won't be scared to use it. You wouldn't believe how long it took for her to get comfortable enough around guns to hold that Garand.

Link Posted: 5/29/2013 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

one in the bedroom, one stashed out of the way in the livingroom and one in the kitchen

She'll need to practice just so she won't be scared to use it. You wouldn't believe how long it took for her to get comfortable enough around guns to hold that Garand.

Practice is definitely a good idea for those that are prone to panicing or are unfamiliar with how they work. Make sure it is putting out a real, but controlled fire, and not just squirting it randomly.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 7:49:56 PM EDT
[#3]
<-----this guy is paid to put out fires for a living.

I love candles.   They keep me in business.

As an aside, an ABC extinguisher is what you need.   Go buy one, build a nasty fire in the driveway/backyard, and let her put it out.  It will be a mess.

It will cost you about $20...$40 for the extra class....

How much is that Homeowner's deductible?
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 8:20:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Extinguisher are like twenty bucks at walmart.  Put one on every floor of the house in a visible and easily accessible location.  When you need it, you need it fast.

Don't go cheap ATLEAST get a KIDDE commercial spec. The little ones are good for about 1 pass then are shit. Smothering is about the only way to really put out a grease fire, I had an extinguisher actually spray grease up and out of a bucket that was on fire. IDK. Not a fireman...

Link Posted: 5/29/2013 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Practice is definitely a good idea for those that are prone to panicing or are unfamiliar with how they work. Make sure it is putting out a real, but controlled fire, and not just squirting it randomly.

Thats what I'm thinking, maybe extinguishing a small burn pile at the end of our next burn at my parents house.

Link Posted: 5/29/2013 8:32:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I guess I should consider switching out my ABC in the kitchen for a CO2 based on these responses?

Halon, CO2, Cold Fire, or BC dry chem for the kitchen... almost anything but ABC powder or water.

Something small that can be right there all the time without being too intrusive, and that won't cause excessive cleanup problems.  If it's too big for a 2 1/2 pounder, fall back on the large one.

Quoted:
we have been experimenting with this stuff at the FD. so far it's performing VERY well.

in the proper mix will even extinguish burning metals. and can be used as a heat barrier on people. i keep a 2.5gal water ext in my truck mixed with it.

www.coldfire.biz

I really wish they'd sell a smaller size of the concentrate, I'd put some in the water extinguishers and give it a try.  I don't need $145 worth of it  though.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#7]
We mounted one of these on our kitchen wall as it's a bit less obtrusive:
Kidde 2BC Kitchen Fire Extinguisher w/Cover
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 9:30:17 PM EDT
[#8]
after I put out my dryer fire, the dry chemical mess really didn't bother me nearly as much as standing in my front yard in my underwear while my house burnt down.   I promptly bought more ABC extinguishers.  I do LOVE HALON but it is unobtainable.  

PSA   CLEAN YOUR DRYER LINT OUT!
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 4:12:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
after I put out my dryer fire, the dry chemical mess really didn't bother me nearly as much as standing in my front yard in my underwear while my house burnt down.   I promptly bought more ABC extinguishers.  I do LOVE HALON but it is unobtainable.  

Halon extinguishers are readily available online, for a price.
Last time I checked, they can still be service,.  But that isn't cheap either.
The price is well worth it if you have to use it.
A Hi-Point will work, but most sleep better having spent extra for a Glock or Colt.

Link Posted: 5/30/2013 4:15:33 AM EDT
[#10]
In a pinch

Remember the box of arm and hammer Baking Soda in the refrigerator or cupboard.  Salt also works.
Used to work in a bakery.  We kept barrels of baking soda near the ovens for fire suppression.  Its also food grade so clean up afterwords is not complicated by any interaction with food surfaces.
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 6:17:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 6:19:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 6:24:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Halotron is, I believe, the "green" new version of halon.

Since it's supposed to leave no residue, I have one around electronics and one in the car.

The problem with dry chemical is that it apparently attacks aluminum, wiring insulation and other things, so if you fire one under the dash of your car, it's going to cause problems in the long run.

Yeah, they're expensive, but...

Here's a spec/info sheet about Halotron.

http://www.raiderfireextinguisher.com/images/extinguishers/HALOTRON-783x1062.jpg
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 6:27:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I didn't read all the posts, but stopping by a local fire department is a good idea. They will probably have reusable water filled ones you could possibly play with and give you as much information you can handle.

We keep a chemical filled one in our kitchen and in our laundry room. Depending on the room and the use depends on what kind you get.

We keep a reusable water filled and a CO2 one in our metal shop.

Good luck OP
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 6:34:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I've used an ABC dry chemical extinguisher before in the house to put out a small grease fire. I'd almost have rather the house burn down. THAT SHIT GETS EVERYWHERE!!! It was a smaller model too and I on'y used about half of it. The powder is so light is just floats on aircurrents. It took me over a week to clean my ~1100ft² house.

That being said I still haven't upgraded to Halon/Halotron :(.

Link Posted: 5/30/2013 6:34:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Ok, here's what I advise.

Get a bunch of them.  In escalating utility at closer and closer to exit locations.

On the counter:  One of those "spray can" extinguishers for ABC fires.

In the kitchen cupboard:  Halon fire extinguisher, small.

Near the garage or back door: 5 lb or bigger ABC.

In the garage: 5 lb or bigger ABC.

If you can, one "marine" one in each vehicle, though that might be a bit of overkill since in a car you just get out and walk away.  On a boat continued property damage results in sinking, which can be life-threatening.

All this will cost you somewhere around $150 to $250.

I also advise a few Youtube videos with the whole family looking at extinguisher use, fire spreading and other stuff.  Candles, bad juju, do a safety stand-down on those with all members of the household.  Lastly, some fire departments will do demos and let you actually use an extinguisher so it's worth a call to them.

Good luck, good thing it wasn't worse.
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 6:46:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Actually, maybe a K extinguisher under the sink,

K is pretty much useless for home use unless you have a big deep fryer and then you would only have it for this.
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 6:47:10 AM EDT
[#18]
had a Halon in the cellar near the furnace...Was OK there for years then I think the teenager and his friends fired it off.
Replaced with dry chem in the cellar.
Also have a larger dry chem in the hallway near the front door...maybe 3 feet from the kitchen stove.
It is kind of framed into the wall.
Also have another dry unit in the shop at face level near the garage door.
When you need to stop a small fire from quickly becoming a lot worse, almost anything will do.
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 6:49:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
had a Halon in the cellar near the furnace...Was OK there for years then I think the teenager and his friends fired it off.

Halon in a closed space, fired off for fun. That's not good for one's health.
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 6:56:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
20 pound CO2 is awesome.  I don't ever want to use a BC/ABC for a kitchen fire because IF I have the ability to extinguish, it will be a MESS.  CO2 is nearly mess free and works acceptably fine on grease fires.  It would do fine on an oven mitt.

Now for my vehicles, I go ABC purple K.   I have a 10 in my truck, thanks to Uncle Sugar's thoughtfulness .  It was in the truck when I bought it from GL in Ft. McCoy.  Basically brand new.

I've used quite a few extinguishers.  Even professional rechargables in training (sodium bicarbonate) on kerosene fires.  Fun stuff.

Listen to this man.  That is what I have in my kitchen area.  PK for vehicles.  ABC will cause corrosion on anything you care about.  If a 20 lb CO2 doesn't do it, un-ass the area.

Edit  **Also - remember the CO2 isn't performance tested for kitchen fires (K).  It doesn't mean it won't work.  Commercial kitchen = K class / Residential = CO2 will be fine.**
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 7:05:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Go to eBay and buy a Halon unit.

Halon was the best stuff made.
So good it is banned.

Why?
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 7:08:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go to eBay and buy a Halon unit.

Halon was the best stuff made.
So good it is banned.

Why?

The green cult screamed that it was destroying the ozone layer. Same reason poor people with asthma can't buy Primatine OTC anymore.
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 7:12:17 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm actually surprised at the number of suggestions for Halon. I thought that had fallen by the wayside. My father works in a datacenter and they had a Halon system until a few years ago. It was finally replaced becuase it was deemed too dangerous for the workers should it deploy. They were told that if the Halon deployed, they had 30 seconds to get out of the datacenter.

I personally have a single 5ABC at the top of our basement stairs for our 1200 sq. ft. house. It just so happens that the laundry toom is at the bottom of the stairs, the garage is immediately to the left, and the kitchen is immediately to the right. Basically prime location for my house.
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 7:16:14 AM EDT
[#24]
PKP or go home!
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 7:19:25 AM EDT
[#25]
BC under the kitchen sink with a 17lb Halon 1211 in the garage off the kitchen.
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 7:22:49 AM EDT
[#26]
It would not hurt to look at a few how to use a fire extinguisher videos.  It seems pretty obvious, and it is, but it really helps to at least see it -- a lot of people aim way to high.    IANAFireman, but we used to train on barrels of burning diesel.  CO2, Dry Chem... lots of fun, but you'd be surprised how many people fucked it up their first try.

I have 1A10BC FXs in kitchen and near doorways around the house, on either side of the kitchen, bedroom, laundry room and garage.  Plus a bigger unit in the car.

I also have banned candles from my home.

congratulations on your good luck.
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 7:25:02 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

also these actaully work pretty good for stove tops.  and are cheap....

http://www.swiftfireprotection.com/Products/Fire_Extinguisher_Sales/Fire_Extinguishers/stovetop/stovetop.html

Never seen those before.  That's neat.

So there's a little fuse hanging down?  Fire lights the fuse and sets off the device?

Much better than something heat-sensing like a regular sprinkler system.  It would suck to have a stove full of really hot food suddenly get doused for no reason.  

Link Posted: 5/30/2013 7:29:38 AM EDT
[#28]
I need to go double-check which type of extinguisher I have where.  The ABC ones sound nasty, and I think that's what most of mine are.  Sounds more like they should be used only when necessary.
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 7:36:04 AM EDT
[#29]
ABC powder sucks, but I evaluate it this way:  if you're pulling out the FX, your house is going to burn down unless you act RFN.

ON the other hand...
I saved my employer $$$$*  one night when a piece of old elex released magic smoke and flames into an equipment rack.  My younger more enthusiastic trainee grabbed a powder unit, which thank god I noticed, so we got a big ole CO2 unit (which was two feet further away).  

*By $$$$:  about $4 million in equipment damage, about $40+ million in downtime and overtime.
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 7:37:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I always read about this but what does it truely mean?  Clean it out from where?  The whole vent hose?  The point of where the lint trap is to the vent hose (tear the dryer appart)?

What lint needs to be cleaned out?  Where is there lint (specifically) that is the most dangerous/prone to starting a fire?

Link Posted: 5/30/2013 7:43:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
check out "COLDFIRE" im pretty sure these will be my next fire extinguishers ....also add them to your vehicles.     Coldfire Fire Extinguisher Cold fire[/quotE

Several years ago I was working as a the safety manager at a large manufacturing facility, the local FD and the vendor of the 900 F/E's at the site offered to do hands on F/E training for anyone that wanted to partake. Kind of a public service type thing for our employees, we employed easily half the town.   Anyway, we did the burn pan thing, the FD mixed up their favorite blend of accelerant and we taught people the how's and why's of using F/E's.   Towards the end of the training, the F/D rolled out some extinguishers loaded with coldfire, even though it is water based, the coldfire stomped a mud hole in that fire faster than any other type.   Worked great for the first group, the problem was the damn coldfire worked so well we couldn't get the pan to re-light for the next group. We had to drain it, and rinse it out, then refill it with fuel to get it burn, and then it was a challenge.

Cold fire is amazing, the FD got it after a tire recycling facility went up and coldfire came in on a mutual aid rig and kicked the shit out of that fire.  I'm not comfy using it on electrical fires or class D fires but it kicks some serious ass on everything else.  ABC are the most versatile but having coldfire in the house or garage is a great idea.

Link Posted: 5/30/2013 7:51:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
check out "COLDFIRE" im pretty sure these will be my next fire extinguishers ....also add them to your vehicles.     Coldfire Fire Extinguisher Cold fire[/quotE

Several years ago I was working as a the safety manager at a large manufacturing facility, the local FD and the vendor of the 900 F/E's at the site offered to do hands on F/E training for anyone that wanted to partake. Kind of a public service type thing for our employees, we employed easily half the town.   Anyway, we did the burn pan thing, the FD mixed up their favorite blend of accelerant and we taught people the how's and why's of using F/E's.   Towards the end of the training, the F/D rolled out some extinguishers loaded with coldfire, even though it is water based, the coldfire stomped a mud hole in that fire faster than any other type.   Worked great for the first group, the problem was the damn coldfire worked so well we couldn't get the pan to re-light for the next group. We had to drain it, and rinse it out, then refill it with fuel to get it burn, and then it was a challenge.

Cold fire is amazing, the FD got it after a tire recycling facility went up and coldfire came in on a mutual aid rig and kicked the shit out of that fire.  I'm not comfy using it on electrical fires or class D fires but it kicks some serious ass on everything else.  ABC are the most versatile but having coldfire in the house or garage is a great idea.

I looked at those, but the marketing was so "shamwow"-like that I figured it was an infomercial scam or pyramid scheme. It is legit?

Link Posted: 5/30/2013 7:54:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Why would anyone need a fire extinguisher at home ? The Fire Department is just a phone call a--   . . .uh....no...wait a minute , that's guns .

Never mind
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 7:59:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always read about this but what does it truely mean?  Clean it out from where?  The whole vent hose?  The point of where the lint trap is to the vent hose (tear the dryer appart)?

What lint needs to be cleaned out?  Where is there lint (specifically) that is the most dangerous/prone to starting a fire?

Besides the dryer lint screen itself, you mostly want to clean the exhaust port yearly. This is where most lint tends to accumulate. Once it builds up there, it will build up further and further inside the exhaust venting, giving you crappy drying times and raising the temperature because of lack of air flow. Increased temperature plus flammable material is not a good thing. If you have any collapsed semi-rigid vent hoses, replace them.

Link Posted: 5/30/2013 9:17:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 9:24:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree the marketing is crappy but the stuff does work.  It struck me as soapy water, but it is death to fires. It's the perfect garage extinguisher, anything automotive, or petroleum based, wood structure, tires, it really is good stuff.   ABC type are popular because they basically can't make any fire WORSE, not because they work real well.   I have ABC in the house I also have coldfire.

I looked at those, but the marketing was so "shamwow"-like that I figured it was an infomercial scam or pyramid scheme. It is legit?

Link Posted: 5/30/2013 9:25:10 AM EDT
[#37]
man my "quote fu" sucks today
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 9:35:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Walmart has some basic ones cheap. Get a couple today.

Consult here for some tier one models later.
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm actually surprised at the number of suggestions for Halon. I thought that had fallen by the wayside. My father works in a datacenter and they had a Halon system until a few years ago. It was finally replaced becuase it was deemed too dangerous for the workers should it deploy. They were told that if the Halon deployed, they had 30 seconds to get out of the datacenter.

I personally have a single 5ABC at the top of our basement stairs for our 1200 sq. ft. house. It just so happens that the laundry toom is at the bottom of the stairs, the garage is immediately to the left, and the kitchen is immediately to the right. Basically prime location for my house.

Production of Halon 1211 was banned with several other ozone depleting chemicals 20 years ago.

It is a fantastic extinguishing agent as it has low toxicity, zero cleanup aside from ventilation, and killed fire extremely efficiently.
The chemistry ... the halogen pert of Halon chemically disrupts the fire cycle.
I saw a website explain this pretty well... I'll see if I can find it.
The primary downside is it displaces the air you need to breathe.

Although banned from manufacture, it is still able to be reclaimed, recycled, and resold.

Halotron is a more expensive imitation.  I don't see the point as long as Halon is still available, as Halon is better.

Halon kicks all your dry-chem asses.

http://www.h3rcleanagents.com/support_faq_2.htm

http://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Halon_Fire_Extinguishers

Link Posted: 5/30/2013 12:20:47 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There's a lint trap you remove.  Clean that.  Then, that vent goes in an area with a grate (most likely) and some screws (that you'll have to stick your head in to see).  Take the grate off, and clean out what the lint trap doesnt catch.

It can be considerable build up there.

If you can, unhook the hose and vacuum out that way.  Also make sure the vent outside is clear.

Note also, lint burns like hell.  Like, really well.  I use it to start fires on purpose.  Try it, get out some of your house lint, and get a spark on it and see what happens.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top