Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2013 2:02:30 PM EDT
I was given an old water can to mess around with today. The guy didn't want it anymore and we are slow at work so I decided to play with it. It was full and held about 100psi since only god knows when. Well I had to play with it and I emptied it. After I filled it back up it started to leak. It leaks water from the outlet. The rubber around the stem is around 40 years old and not very rubber anymore. It is a Fyr Fyter model # 94-23.

Here are some pics of it

I found a parts list here:
http://www.fmsd.gsu.edu/fire/manuals/FyrFighter%20Portable.pdf

Page 34 - 5 is the listing for this one. The part number I need is 106901.

Arfcom help me find something to fix this!
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 2:03:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Sell it on Craigslist as an "antique" and use the money to buy a new one.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.fyrfyter.net/contactus.php

Maybe send them a message to see if they have the part?
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I forget the exact date specified but some extinguisher stores would not even touch that for a hydro( age & any possible corrosion/dents) or any repair work.

Ebay has a good selection of extinguisher parts though. Worth a look.

FYI: a new in box Amerex water can is only about $90 shipped on Ebay.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks to me like it's just a simple o-ring.  You should be able to get one at a good hardware store.  maybe even an auto parts store with an o-ring selection.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 2:14:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't look all that old.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 4:41:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
http://www.fyrfyter.net/contactus.php

Maybe send them a message to see if they have the part?

I will have to try that.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Most of the ones I worked on just had an o ring on the neck seal and some of the parts on the inside of the valve.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 4:58:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I work for a fire extinguisher, alarm, and suppression company in NE Ohio.

I'll check tomorrow with our shop manager to see if that valve stem is still available.

I'll IM you tomorrow evening.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Replace worn parts, they're bulletproof.

I have one, fill with a quart of Palmolive, gently fill remainder with water and pressurize.

When I was still FF I was first on scene of a dude's riding lawn mower that was going like a Roman candle; fuel tank had ruptured. Put it out with my pressurized bottle; they work.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I work for a fire extinguisher, alarm, and suppression company in NE Ohio.

I'll check tomorrow with our shop manager to see if that valve stem is still available.

I'll IM you tomorrow evening.

Link Posted: 5/28/2013 6:37:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 10:28:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have one, fill with a quart of Palmolive, gently fill remainder with water and pressurize.

When I was still FF I was first on scene of a dude's riding lawn mower that was going like a Roman candle; fuel tank had ruptured. Put it out with my pressurized bottle; they work.

A QUART of soap?

I put 4-5 DROPS in at most.

Where did you learn to put a quart in?

The firefighting chemicals chemist says to use a tablespoon per extinguisher:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1346267__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Ask_a_guy_who_develops_firefighting_chemicals_anything_.html&page=1#i34803308

Link Posted: 5/28/2013 10:35:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I once spent a night in county with a guy that was in for going to businesses with a fake invoice to change out all their fire extinguishers with new ones. Then he'd take the ones he just replaced and put those in at the next place. I guess he made a few grand before he got caught.

I was in for getting in a bar fight with a guy who tried pushing me around after a girl he was buying drinks came over and started talking to me.

Not super related, just reminded me of that guy...
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 10:53:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A QUART of soap?

I put 4-5 DROPS in at most.

Where did you learn to put a quart in?

The firefighting chemicals chemist says to use a tablespoon per extinguisher:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1346267__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Ask_a_guy_who_develops_firefighting_chemicals_anything_.html&page=1#i34803308

My foam guru worked out the math. For a 2 1/2 gallon 'PW' can you want 48ml of class A foam (pink dish soap) for the correct mix.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top