BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 54
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BTW:  I've been monitoring 146.52 and there's still no one on the channel that I can hear.  Ham must be pretty dead around here.
View Quote

Simplex activity varies quite a bit, and if it's very active they'll generally move to some other simplex frequency than "52". Plus you probably won't hear a whole lot on an HT. Need some local repeaters in there also, if you have Chirp it has a programming function to load them for a designated area (county IIRC).
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Plus you probably won't hear a whole lot on an HT
View Quote

+1.

Since 146.52 is a simplex frequency, you need to be pretty close to another ham (or have a pretty decent outdoor antenna) to hear him on that frequency.

Monitoring one of your local repeater frequencies instead will probably give you a lot more activity, due to the repeater's larger coverage area. Typically, the club-owned repeaters are pretty chatty, especially during rush hour.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 4:15:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Currently, I'm on 146.805, which is the KF4TNP repeater in Pulaski, TN about 20 miles from here.  According to the repeaterbook.com site, this is the closest repeater to me.

I haven't set the offsets or shifts yet.  I've been on it for about a half hour; no sign of any activity.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 8:13:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

BTW:  I've been monitoring 146.52 and there's still no one on the channel that I can hear.  Ham must be pretty dead around here.

View Quote

I don't hear much there - but I also don't monitor it terribly often. I program it into every radio I have, though. There is a local repeater guy that has a remote base installed at a repeater site who spends a lot of time doing simplex work, since he has the tallest antenna in the area And he is also big into IRLP, so he shows up on his remote base even when he is hundreds of miles away... Pretty neat setup.

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 9:41:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Currently, I'm on 146.805, which is the KF4TNP repeater in Pulaski, TN about 20 miles from here.  According to the repeaterbook.com site, this is the closest repeater to me.

I haven't set the offsets or shifts yet.  I've been on it for about a half hour; no sign of any activity.
View Quote

I've been monitoring this channel for two days now, not one peep.  I haven't keyed the mike yet since I don't have the offsets/shifts etc programmed into the radio yet.

It's starting to look like this whole ham radio thing is going to be a bust since the biggest reason I got it was as a 2nd backup comm use in case of an emergency here on the farm and we have crappy cell phone service even though we're on top of a hill.  

What's the cheapest 2m repeater setup cost?  
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 10:04:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably the cheapest approach would be to put up an outdoor antenna (Slim-Jim, Open Stub J-Pole or similar) for your existing radio. That'll give you a quite a bit more range (on both receive and transmit).

Program in all the likely repeater and simplex frequencies, and let it scan through them for a while. With a decent outdoor antenna, you should hear some activity.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Probably the cheapest approach would be to put up an outdoor antenna (Slim-Jim, Open Stub J-Pole or similar) for your existing radio. That'll give you a quite a bit more range (on both receive and transmit).

Program in all the likely repeater and simplex frequencies, and let it scan through them for a while. With a decent outdoor antenna, you should hear some activity.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll end up spending more on antenna and mounting than you did on the radio.  Seems backwards-assed, but it's like a nice precision rifle.  The gun is just the beginning of the package.  A $600 scope on a $500 rifle aint so unusual.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 10:19:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Can ham radio transmission be encrypted or have a signal hop?
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 10:20:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Can ham radio transmission be encrypted or have a signal hop?
View Quote

No for encryption, not sure about hop.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#10]
(1.) not legal, and (2.) yes - On some ham bands, nearly all communication is accomplished by "skipping" signals off various layers of the atmosphere.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, are those Slim-Jims et al portable, like get on and off the tractor a couple dozen times a day, doing tractor-like stuff all over the farm  and other farm chores portable?

The question is rhetorical.  I *thought* I made it clear: the ham radio was a backup and/or substitute for a cell phone during a farm emergency, while doing farm stuff, due to our crappy cell phone service.  I'm not sitting around on Arfcom all day or in the house watching TV.  The radio is supposed to be portable so I always have it with me, just like the cell phone.

I have a pole barn at the highest point on my property and I can get power there.  It would be the perfect place for a 2m/70cm repeater location.  Sure, I'd have to install an antenna structure and the antenna, but I bet even a 25-30' antenna would get out ok due to being on top of a hill.  Brand new 2m repeaters look to cost around $1500-$2000 on HRO.  Are there cheaper alternatives?  Used perhaps.

Yea, we're getting off the subject of these cheap portable radios.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
(1.) not legal, and (2.) yes - On some ham bands, nearly all communication is accomplished by "skipping" signals off various layers of the atmosphere.
View Quote

I think he means the quick signal hopping systems that jump around frequencies like mad during transmission.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a pole barn at the highest point on my property and I can get power there.  It would be the perfect place for a 2m/70cm repeater location.  Sure, I'd have to install an antenna structure and the antenna, but I bet even a 25-30' antenna would get out ok due to being on top of a hill.  Brand new 2m repeaters look to cost around $1500-$2000 on HRO.  Are there cheaper alternatives?  Used perhaps.
View Quote

Many mobile dual-band ham rigs are capable of doing cross-band repeat (example here). Since the transmit and receive frequencies are on entirely different ham bands, no specialized filters need to be installed between the radio and antenna - So, the only major expense is the cost of the radio, antenna, and maybe a 12VDC power supply to operate it.

Typically, the cross-band repeat functions on the radio are controlled with DTMF touch tones, which can be sent from your talkie.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Because of this thread, I've purchased a UV-B5 and have been listening for about a week.  I've already manually programmed all the local repeaters into the ht.

It already came in very handy when we had a night of severe weather.  A storm parked over our town and dumped about 4" of rain in about an hour, flooding many areas.  I was listening to the local repeater, which is about 20 miles away straight line distance.  This repeater is a SkyWarn system during emergencies and had a lot of HAMs checking in and reporting on road conditions and canyon/waterway conditions during the storm.

My dad and I are going to be getting our licenses soon and I am going to order a couple more HTs.

I'm also going to order a couple mobile units for our trucks, just don't know which model yet.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#15]
By the way, does anyone know of a  good, but cheap mobile unit?  I'd like to get a quad transceiver but I can settle for a dual transceiver.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 6:23:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I think he means the quick signal hopping systems that jump around frequencies like mad during transmission.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, like a mil radio.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:11:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Cheap, great antenna

This is a pretty inexpensive j-pole antenna.  I run it out and stick it in a tree in the backyard when I'm chatting with folks farther up the valley from me.  Great receive and transmit, even off a 5W HT.
View Quote

I've got an eave like that that is just begging for an antenna.  It would be perfect for when I'm here on my desktop surfing the net; still use the radio while it's charging!

What cable did you use to get to the HT, connection at the antenna and what connection would I need for a UV-B5?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Just for your info, BAOFENG is changing their name to "Pofung" for their overseas products. I just received a press release with the announcement.

http://www.baofengradio.com/en/shownews.asp?id=28
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 10:20:44 PM EDT
[#20]
oh yeh thats MUCH better
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 1:04:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
oh yeh thats MUCH better
View Quote

You'd think they could consult with someone who's fluent in English when picking out a world market brand name
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:24:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I do have some praise for the B5, took mine to the Dayton Hamvention (intermod central) and the receiver held up very well, at least on UHF/70cm.

And I wasn't too concerned to have the ~$8 speaker mic out in the rain.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 12:16:16 AM EDT
[#24]
If 35-45 bucks isn't cheap enough for you, the Baofeng BF-888S single-band talkie is currently selling on Amazon for less than 16 bucks, shipped - and that includes a Li-Ion battery, charger, antenna, and belt clip.

This model only covers the UHF band (which includes the popular 70 CM ham band, FRS, GMRS, etc.), lacks a keypad and LCD display, only has 16 user-programmable channels, and doesn't have the UV-B5's performance enhancements.

However, for the asking price, it's a steal.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 12:37:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes it is.  For what they are, I love mine.  Got one, price dropped, got a NY reload.  TX/RX seems similar to the uv-5r series, they benefit greatly from even the cheap antenna upgrades if you're asking any distance of them.  Excellent battery life, typical QC but nothing terrible in my two.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 9:47:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If 35-45 bucks isn't cheap enough for you, the Baofeng BF-888S single-band talkie is currently selling on Amazon for less than 16 bucks, shipped - and that includes a Li-Ion battery, charger, antenna, and belt clip.

http://imageshack.com/a/img820/9919/qedb.jpg

This model only covers the UHF band (which includes the popular 70 CM ham band, FRS, GMRS, etc.), lacks a keypad and LCD display, only has 16 user-programmable channels, and doesn't have the UV-B5's performance enhancements.

View Quote

I bought one of those about 18 months ago.

Easy to program, and they have the voice inverter-thingy for scrambling the audio.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 10:04:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Scrambling the audio?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://imageshack.com/a/img820/9919/qedb.jpg

I bought one of those about 18 months ago.

Easy to program, and they have the voice inverter-thingy for scrambling the audio.

Scrambling the audio?  

Yes.

It's an option when you program a channel. There is no control on the radio to tirn the feature on/off, it's a software switch.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 12:30:23 PM EDT
[#29]
So here's a question.  Slowly studying for tech.  Have the ARRL study book that had the last pool of questions.  If I use the material but use questions from hamexam.org will I be ok?
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 12:43:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

So, are those Slim-Jims et al portable, like get on and off the tractor a couple dozen times a day, doing tractor-like stuff all over the farm  and other farm chores portable?

The question is rhetorical.  I *thought* I made it clear: the ham radio was a backup and/or substitute for a cell phone during a farm emergency, while doing farm stuff, due to our crappy cell phone service.  I'm not sitting around on Arfcom all day or in the house watching TV.  The radio is supposed to be portable so I always have it with me, just like the cell phone.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depending how large your farm is...  maybe a better quality HT would work for you ?  I have a few of the Kenwood TH-K20 radios and they are amazing. I like them WAY more than the Baofeng I have... and honestly, I haven't turned on the Baofeng in months. The Kenwood  TH-K20 and TM-281 stuff is all I use.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:52:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Nice little package currently being offered at MTC...

http://www.mtcradio.com/new-ham-package/
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Nice little package currently being offered at MTC...

http://www.mtcradio.com/new-ham-package/
View Quote

I would make other choices.  The radio is fine, everything else would avoid.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 2:10:37 PM EDT
[#34]
These take Kenwood accessories, right? I need to replace my driver/crew setup(s) in my racecar. Thinking these might be a viable option. Been running the current setup in UHF mode, how is the performance on the Baofeng in UHF?
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
These take Kenwood accessories, right? I need to replace my driver/crew setup(s) in my racecar. Thinking these might be a viable option. Been running the current setup in UHF mode, how is the performance on the Baofeng in UHF?
View Quote

Kenwood speaker/mics and similar, yes, as well as antennas.  FWIW the UV-B5 model has been Part 90 approved since January 2014.  Had good performance out of my B5 at Dayton which is a pretty severe RF environment, mostly using a Kenwood compact UHF only antenna.  I am MUCH more impressed with the RF performance of the B5 than the now-cheaper 5R models.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:49:56 PM EDT
[#36]
34 bucks, delivered - from a domestic supplier.

This particular supplier is GTG - The postman delivered mine just a couple days after I ordered it.

Incidentally, several reviewers are now reporting that this radio can also be used on the 1.25 cm (220 MHz) ham band, if you use the latest CHIRP build to program it.

Reportedly, the transmit output power is down quite a bit (approx. 2 watts) compared to the 5 watts produced on the 2 m and 70 cm ham bands, and the original antenna supplied with the radio does not work on the 1.25 cm band.

However, if you don't mind substituting antennas, it gets you on another ham band that few other talkies cover.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:40:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:47:53 PM EDT
[#38]
I need to pick up a few FRS radios, but I also plan on learning about and pursuing a HAM ticket sometime in the near future. I'd love to purchase 2 of these and just use them as FRS walkies for the time being, then transition into HAM later. Is this something that is simple to do or do I need a programming cable and a lot of knowledge to set them to act as FRS and communicate with other over the counter FRS walkies?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 5:20:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I need to pick up a few FRS radios, but I also plan on learning about and pursuing a HAM ticket sometime in the near future. I'd love to purchase 2 of these and just use them as FRS walkies for the time being, then transition into HAM later. Is this something that is simple to do or do I need a programming cable and a lot of knowledge to set them to act as FRS and communicate with other over the counter FRS walkies?

Thanks!
View Quote

Not legal to use anything but a type-accepted radio on FRS bands...BUT if you insist on being a rebel and understand the risks (10K dollar fines if you piss them off enough), it would be easy to program from the face plate for FRS frequencies.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 3:54:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Not legal to use anything but a type-accepted radio on FRS bands...BUT if you insist on being a rebel and understand the risks (10K dollar fines if you piss them off enough), it would be easy to program from the face plate for FRS frequencies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks!

Or just get a GMRS license and program the GMRS freqs, which can be used at full power.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Or just get a GMRS license and program the GMRS freqs, which can be used at full power.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks!

I thought GMRS radios also had to be type accepted.

No sense paying for a license and then getting nailed using the wrong radio.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 10:47:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks!

So how would using one of these on FRS frequencies piss anyone off? Are they just really high power and therefore broadcast further than a typical FRS transmitter? I'll be using it while off road in my Jeep, places like MOAB, Rubicon, etc. I also like having a HAM so should I need to use it in an emergency situation I have some range, regardless of if I have a HAM ticket, as I'm talking life or death, stranded, etc.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:34:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So how would using one of these on FRS frequencies piss anyone off? Are they just really high power and therefore broadcast further than a typical FRS transmitter? I'll be using it while off road in my Jeep, places like MOAB, Rubicon, etc. I also like having a HAM so should I need to use it in an emergency situation I have some range, regardless of if I have a HAM ticket, as I'm talking life or death, stranded, etc.
View Quote

"usually, when i go on off road trails i like to leave garbage strewn out all over the place.  also, it's always fun ignoring rules and going the wrong way on marked trails.  the cool thing about off-roading is that i have no idea what i am doing but i have a kickass winch; and i've heard that with a good winch you can get out of any situation.  i've never actually used the winch but it will be there when i need it."

that's what it sounds like.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:49:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

"usually, when i go on off road trails i like to leave garbage strewn out all over the place.  also, it's always fun ignoring rules and going the wrong way on marked trails.  the cool thing about off-roading is that i have no idea what i am doing but i have a kickass winch; and i've heard that with a good winch you can get out of any situation.  i've never actually used the winch but it will be there when i need it."

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

Boom!  Head shot!
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:04:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

Wow tuff guy I bet you feel really pumped now that you got that off your chest.

I don't know as much about HAM radios as most, we all have to start somewhere. It was a simple question, if you don't have any valuable input you don't have to be a dick.

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:08:03 AM EDT
[#46]
OST...

Just got my license last month.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:10:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Add me to the list as well I'm still a Technician I haven't been much in to Amateur/Ham Radio lately.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:17:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I don't know as much about HAM radios as most, we all have to start somewhere. It was a simple question, if you don't have any valuable input you don't have to be a dick.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

FCC rules for FRS require equipment to be (type certified) for that service. In other words a radio must be marketed for the purpose by the manufacturer which means it has met certain requirements like a max of 1/2 watt output and no removable antenna.

Now for the reality, nobody will know the difference. It will work just fine but the reality is that it's technically illegal.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:42:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

Yeah, no shit...if he is an example of the people in HAM radio, I'd just as soon never get into it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:49:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

Except his post was exceptionally insightful and spot on.
Page / 54
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top