Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 54
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 5:42:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Current best price on the B5: 37 bucks, delivered.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 7:47:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

wow....great price.......I have been using this exact same model to help out with some club events I volunteer for and this thing has yet to let me down.....it was a very good deal when I paid almost $50 delivered last year and it was this thread that got me started back then!
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 7:34:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The UV-5R is Type 90 accepted.  Been discussing moving my organization's radios over to them from our old beat up motorolas.  

We can buy new radios every year for what we were paying in upkeep on the old ones.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 7:56:01 PM EDT
[#4]
what frequencies do people typically use on the Baofengs?
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:05:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Local 2 meter repeaters...
NOAA weather frequencies
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:13:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The UV-5R is Type 90 accepted.  Been discussing moving my organization's radios over to them from our old beat up motorolas.  

We can buy new radios every year for what we were paying in upkeep on the old ones.
View Quote

No front programmable radio is type 90 accepted, You can lock the radio with software so you can't program it from the face (making it truly type 90 accepted) but it kind of defeat the purpose of the UV-5R, to me at least.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:17:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

NOAA weather frequencies
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NOAA weather frequencies

Frequency Range: 136-174 / 400-520 MHz
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:25:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NOAA weather frequencies

what I mean is are there certain freqs within those bands or do people just pick a freq and start talking
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:30:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

what I mean is are there certain freqs within those bands or do people just pick a freq and start talking
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NOAA weather frequencies

Within the 2 meter (144.000-148.000) and 70 centimeter (420.000-450.000) band there is voluntary band plans, for example 146.520 is the 2 M national simplex calling frequency.

http://www.arrl.org/band-plan
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:41:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No front programmable radio is type 90 accepted, You can lock the radio with software so you can't program it from the face (making it truly type 90 accepted) but it kind of defeat the purpose of the UV-5R, to me at least.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I'll need to lock them down to low power too.

It's business band.  These aren't for handing out to licensed individuals.  They're for use by muppets.  I'm mainly pissed the BF-888 isn't type 90 as well.  They'd be an even better choice.  I'd set all 16 channels on the knob to Muppetland.  The buttons on the 5R are going to confuse them, even if they don't do anything.  The pretty colors on the 5R will be a win though.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#11]
You are well versed, just wanted to make sure you weren't going to hand them out wide open and get a nice visit from the FCC when your muppets trample over emergency services or HAM comms.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Not well versed enough to pull the trigger on these yet, but might be close.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I do wish Baofeng would get the 888 and the UV-6 type approved.

There are some other options in type approved radios that would be a better choice for an industrial user than the UV-5R.

KYD has some very simple models that might be worth a look, IP607 for example, which are FCC approved.  They're waterproof also.  Last price I got was a little higher than the UV-5R but still not too bad (under $50).
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There are some other options in type approved radios that would be a better choice for an industrial user than the UV-5R.

KYD has some very simple models that might be worth a look, IP607 for example, which are FCC approved.  They're waterproof also.  Last price I got was a little higher than the UV-5R but still not too bad (under $50).
View Quote

Other than the waterproofing, what other advantages do you see in the KYD radio over the 5R?  

I just found the Wouxun GU-16, that seems close to what I'm looking for.  I think for the difference in price I'll take the 5R still though.  In a wave of uncharacteristic optimism, I sent an email to Baofeng's contact email asking them to file for part 90 on the BF-888. If that goes through, I hereby promise to give my current 888 away to a deserving arfcom ham.  (It probably won't though.)
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 6:21:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Other than the waterproofing, what other advantages do you see in the KYD radio over the 5R?  

I just found the Wouxun GU-16, that seems close to what I'm looking for.  I think for the difference in price I'll take the 5R still though.  In a wave of uncharacteristic optimism, I sent an email to Baofeng's contact email asking them to file for part 90 on the BF-888. If that goes through, I hereby promise to give my current 888 away to a deserving arfcom ham.  (It probably won't though.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, it's half the price of that Wouxun with the same simple user interface.  I pressed a UV-5R into service as a rental radio for a weekend and the end users managed within the first hour to get confused about the display and such and just let it sit.  I can't imagine them holding up at all in an industrial environment.

If you were going to buy enough of them, you could always submit the 888 for type approval yourself (your company anyway).  I don't know how much the testing would cost, there are several labs that do it.  The UV-6 is a little more expensive but it's a dual band VHF/UHF, with the better performance of the B5/B6 series and the simplified commercial/LMR user interface.

The Chinese companies have been trying to serve the US "ham" market with their asian LMR products, and really don't have a clue the potential that is there in the business/industrial LMR market.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I must've looked at the wrong radio

The KYD I saw this afternoon I swear had a keypad and LCD.  Now it's a two knob plain radio.  Losin my mind.

That might be just the ticket indeed!  Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

888 has a very weak front end. Get's out fine but is deaf. But it is only $18.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why I am more interested in the UV-6 for these kind of applications, plus it's dual band.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Passed all three this AM!
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 10:49:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 11:12:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Aw, man - You're the....man!

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 11:16:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

... Nice. Jelly

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 12:33:19 AM EDT
[#23]
All 48 pages, done. Awesome to see this pop up in GD. This thread has convinced me to go ahead and do what I've been toying with for a couple of years.

It'll have to wait until I get home from Crapghanistan, but I'm gonna get myself and ms0w1 (not an arfcommer) licensed.

Thanks to everyone for the info and motivation!
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 1:16:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
All 48 pages, done. Awesome to see this pop up in GD. This thread has convinced me to go ahead and do what I've been toying with for a couple of years.

It'll have to wait until I get home from Crapghanistan, but I'm gonna get myself and ms0w1 (not an arfcommer) licensed.

View Quote

www.hamexam.org for test prep.

You can drill them questions, even clinging to a dingleberry on the asshole of the world.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 10:11:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Goddam Arfcom!!!   More $$$$!!!!

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#26]
I've had the books for years and never got my ticket. This thread has inspired me again. I ordered the B5 from Amazon and will take the test later this month. I hope to try for Technician and General at the same time.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

How much prep time did you need?
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 10:44:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I started studying around March 5th.  Tested May 3rd.  I had some background to assist with the math.  Not much else.  The books are interesting, and for the most part, read easily.

The hardest part has been waiting to get into the ULS database so I can transmit!
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 10:45:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I've had the books for years and never got my ticket. This thread has inspired me again. I ordered the B5 from Amazon and will take the test later this month. I hope to try for Technician and General at the same time.
View Quote

Just get going on Tech,... the question bank changes on June 30th!
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 7:52:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Testing tomorrow!
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 2:33:57 PM EDT
[#31]
I completely lost all interest in ham a few months ago. I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I keyed the mic.

I have three TM281's, a Baofeng and two TH-K20's that only get used as scanners now.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 9:14:51 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

You can drill them questions, even clinging to a dingleberry on the asshole of the world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you a bunch for that, I need to get my General.  

Link Posted: 5/9/2014 9:40:40 PM EDT
[#33]
I used http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/ and went zero to famous in my neck of the woods.

I have an appropriate background in engineering though. Apparently not many go to extra first time out.

So I have no frame of reference on how easy/hard tech is for the non technically minded gentlemen/ladies.

But it's worth it. Get on the air, sunshine!
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 10:06:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Testing tomorrow!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Testing tomorrow!

Passed both!
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 10:46:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Just pulled a UV-B6 out of the package last night.  (or B5?  The one with the knob and #$@!* siren.)

I understand it may have better TX/RX than the UV-5R, but I think I like the feature set on the 5R better.  The 5R has a software option to at least turn that ridiculous siren thing into a "local only" option that just makes your pants loud without spamming the airwaves.  The B6 has no such option and an even easier to trigger alarm function.  Separate button right next to the antenna, and any touch of the button sets it off to howl stupidity at your active channel.  The 5R takes a press and hold at least.

So… Less than an hour out of the package, I opened up the B6… Because this radio is a damn paperweight to me if I can't figure out a way to disable the siren.  I think I about got it.  Opened her up, pulled the rubber button itself out, and cut the nipple out of the middle of it with wire clippers.  Now a simple press can't activate it.  It'll still go off if I shove a tool down in there and lean on it.

I guess I should've gotten the one with no knob, no siren, and a light instead, but I do like the knob for tuning.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Passed both!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Testing tomorrow!

Passed both!

Congrats!!!  Now the hard part,... waiting.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Ok, I got the UV-B5 last week and finally got sit down with it today.

After fiddling with it with the manual in front of me, I still don't know how to program a simple repeater freq into it.  147.24+, 82.5 tone, how hard can it be?

Simplified instructions for the baofeng-challenged, please?  If it's already been posted, sorry, I'm on my wife crap-apple laptop and couldn't find it.

thanks!
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 3:19:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Ok, I got the UV-B5 last week and finally got sit down with it today.

After fiddling with it with the manual in front of me, I still don't know how to program a simple repeater freq into it.  147.24+, 82.5 tone, how hard can it be?

Simplified instructions for the baofeng-challenged, please?  If it's already been posted, sorry, I'm on my wife crap-apple laptop and couldn't find it.

thanks!
View Quote

Really need software and programming cable for any of these radios.  I think it's possible, but I've yet to figure out how to set up a repeater from the keypad on the B5.

These radios are not primarily intended for or set up for amateur radio use and trying to set up programming manually from the keypad is challenging at best.  One thing to keep in mind with squelch tones/codes, is that few amateur repeaters seem to be set up to transmit a tone even if they require one on the incoming signals.  So you may need to try both with and without a receive tone.

Here is the miklor.com guide to B5 keypad programming:  http://www.miklor.com/UVB5/UVB5-ProgMem.php

For general info, the UV-B5 is now Part 90 type approved (as of January 2014).

ETA:  trying the miklor.com directions, I successfully set up a repeater channel.  The poorly-named menu item for repeater shift is set separately from the offset.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 11:48:18 PM EDT
[#40]
So, I've got the programming cable on order (along with a case and mic) and I've downloaded the CHIRP software.

Here's what drives me nuts; from the CHIRP Software Guide (emphasis added):

"Q:  How do I create and initial CHIRP image?
A:   Before an image can be uploaded to your radio, you must first create a template.  This is done by selecting the Radio tab in the CHIRP toolbar and 'Download from Radio'.

This shows CHIRP the existing parameters of your radio as well as what firmware your radio has. This gives CHIRP a starting point. From here you can make your changes and upload them back to your radio. "

Make what changes? C&P operation, type in each repeater info separately and one at a time - what?

I've heard people here in this thread state that they "copied" a list of repeaters and their frequencies, offsets, tones etc. and had it installed in the radio in "2 minutes".

What exactly did they do?  I *assume* they copied the repeater data from either some site (which I don't recall being specified or linked) or some document (Word, .pdf, what?; which isn't specified or linked either) specifically for their area and then pasted it into the CHIRP database (similar to an Excel file). I've been to several of the repeater database sites and see no obvious line items that are copyable.

Help me out here!

Yea, I know it's probably one of those "do once and it's obvious" kind of thing, but jeez, I wish people would be a little more clearer when they write instructions.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 11:53:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Available on Amazon for $33.  Prime shipping.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 12:39:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So, I've got the programming cable on order (along with a case and mic) and I've downloaded the CHIRP software.

A:   Before an image can be uploaded to your radio, you must first create a template.  This is done by selecting the Radio tab in the CHIRP toolbar and 'Download from Radio'.

This shows CHIRP the existing parameters of your radio as well as what firmware your radio has. This gives CHIRP a starting point. From here you can make your changes and upload them back to your radio. "

Make what changes? C&P operation, type in each repeater info separately and one at a time - what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You've pretty much answered your own questions.

When you use CHIRP to initially read data from a new radio, CHIRP displays all the frequencies, transmit offsets, output power settings, transmit tone frequencies, wide/narrow transmit deviation settings, etc. currently stored in the radio.

CHIRP then allows you to edit or change any of these settings on your computer before programming them back into your radio. Typically, you would use a local repeater directory (examples HERE or HERE) to determine what frequencies and tones to use in your area, manually enter those frequencies and tones into CHIRP, and then have CHIRP program this modified data back into your radio.

I've heard people here in this thread state that they "copied" a list of repeaters and their frequencies, offsets, tones etc. and had it installed in the radio in "2 minutes".

What exactly did they do?  I *assume* they copied the repeater data from either some site (which I don't recall being specified or linked) or some document (Word, .pdf, what?; which isn't specified or linked either) specifically for their area and then pasted it into the CHIRP database (similar to an Excel file). I've been to several of the repeater database sites and see no obvious line items that are copyable.

As an alternative to CHIRP, I've been using Baofeng's own UV-B5/UV-B6 programming software instead (available for download HERE).

7Zip works fine for decompressing the .rar file it downloads.

You can download my example radio file here, use the Baofeng software to edit it to add your own frequencies, and then program it into your radio.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 1:50:32 AM EDT
[#43]
With any radio and software used to program, ALWAYS read the radio first, make changes, then write back to the radio.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 10:03:39 AM EDT
[#44]
OK, I'll figure it out when I get the cable, I've got everything else.

Another question:

I want to make the Nat'l Simplex Freq (146.52) the freq for Channel 1 (A side).  Everytime I enter the freq via the keypad, it gets changed to "146.518".  It will not stay on 146.52 no matter what I do.  I've queried the channel/freq several times with no response (but that could be because of my location (there's like 15-16 hams in my whole zip code.  I've programmed Yas and Ken 2m mobiles without hardly looking at the manuals, they never changed any freq I entered, whatever I put, that's what the freq was.  The OEM nor the Miklor instructions mention nothing about the radio freq's being auto-changed.

ETA:  I am in VFO mode, the only way to change or input the freq.  I enter 146.52, press and hold VM/SCAN to display channels, it changes.  Enter 146.52 and try to save it, it changes.  Enter 146.52, and do nothing - yep, you guessed it, it changes to 146.518.

Why would the radio (UV-B5) auto-change 146.52 to 146.518 and what can I do to make stay on 146.52?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 10:24:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Another question:

I want to make the Nat'l Simplex Freq (146.52) the freq for Channel 1 (A side).  Everytime I enter the freq via the keypad, it gets changed to "146.518".  It will not stay on 146.52 no matter what I do.  I've queried the channel/freq several times with no response (but that could be because of my location (there's like 15-16 hams in my whole zip code.  I've programmed Yas and Ken 2m mobiles without hardly looking at the manuals, they never changed any freq I entered, whatever I put, that's what the freq was.  The OEM nor the Miklor instructions mention nothing about the radio freq's being auto-changed.

ETA:  I am in VFO mode, the only way to change or input the freq.  I enter 146.52, press and hold VM/SCAN to display channels, it changes.  Enter 146.52 and try to save it, it changes.  Enter 146.52, and do nothing - yep, you guessed it, it changes to 146.518.

Why would the radio (UV-B5) auto-change 146.52 to 146.518 and what can I do to make stay on 146.52?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Another question:

You need to set the radio to accept smaller tuning step increments. The smallest size (5 KHz) usually works best:

1. Press MENU, and then rotate the top selector knob or push the UP or DOWN buttons until 01 STEP (voice announces "Frequency Step") is selected.

2. Press the AB button to unlock the current step increment, and then use the top selector knob or UP and DOWN buttons until 5.00K is selected.

3. Press the MENU button to program this new step size into the radio (voice announces "Confirm").

I downloaded your file from the Zippyshare place; it's a .pgm file and I've tried Open Office Writer & Calc and Notepad++; all of them either gave me an "image error" message or something unreadable.  I don't have MS Word/Powerpoint/Excel on this machine.

It's a file that you open with the Baofeng programming software. If you attempt to open it with something else, it'll just look like gibberish.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 11:57:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I want to make the Nat'l Simplex Freq (146.52) the freq for Channel 1 (A side).  Everytime I enter the freq via the keypad, it gets changed to "146.518".  It will not stay on 146.52 no matter what I do.
View Quote

You're probably set for 6.25kHz or 12.5kHz channel steps, need to change to 5kHz.  Everything in amateur FM should work on 5kHz... nominally, the 2m band is set up on 15kHz steps, 70cm band on 25kHz.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 12:00:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Is it wrong that I want to get a HAM radio and mount it in my car simply because an attached antenna looks cool on the back of a Jeep?
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Is it wrong that I want to get a HAM radio and mount it in my car simply because an attached antenna looks cool on the back of a Jeep?
View Quote

Get a CB.  They're all I've seen (legally) used by jeepers anyway.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 10:02:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
[snip]

It's a file that you open with the Baofeng programming software. If you attempt to open it with something else, it'll just look like gibberish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
[snip]

OK, go it opened and saved.  Funny how you're first freq is also the NSF!

Quoted:
Quoted:
I want to make the Nat'l Simplex Freq (146.52) the freq for Channel 1 (A side).  Everytime I enter the freq via the keypad, it gets changed to "146.518".  It will not stay on 146.52 no matter what I do.

You're probably set for 6.25kHz or 12.5kHz channel steps, need to change to 5kHz.  Everything in amateur FM should work on 5kHz... nominally, the 2m band is set up on 15kHz steps, 70cm band on 25kHz.

Yep, this was it, fixored now.

What this issue proves what was stated several times in this thread:  Don't buy and then wait until the last minute hoping to use one of these radios during a SHTF moment - probably won't happen.  Buy and learn - before you need it!

Thanks for the help!

BTW:  I've been monitoring 146.52 and there's still no one on the channel that I can hear.  Ham must be pretty dead around here.

Link Posted: 5/29/2014 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Awesome thread. Thanks.
Page / 54
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top