Site Notices
Page / 54
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

normal folks talking about normal stuff.  

WARNING: What has been seen, cannot be unseen:

Yup, normal people...
Just one more way to encourage people to join the ham lifestyle, err hobby.

Now, that's my kind of group! I'm usually walking around the house butt naked  

Yeah and you're always trying to get me to come over! I always ask, "why, what are you up to?" You then always tell me, "nothing, just walking around the house naked."

Glad I wasn't drinking anything.

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 4:09:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I worked a 2m machine from 42 miles away this morning, while drinking my coffee, with a wouxun HT.  It's amazing what you can do under the right conditions, on top of a hill, with a 1/2 wave comet antenna.

I am a newb but I can see how guys could get into this.  Also picked up a nice Uniden scanner, found some other repeaters that I hadn't heard before.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's a good source for a reliable  serial (not usb) programming cable for the Baofeng radios.  I know it uses the Kenwood version.  I got a cable w/ my UV-5R, but it appears to be causing problems.   It has shut down one of my desktops and the radio appears to be trying to broadcast when I have used it.  It's not consistent though.

Which OS is your computer running?

Are you using Baofeng's programming software, or CHIRP?

3 of them are on windows 7 64 bit.  One is on 8.    I've got a daily build of chirp and baofengs software.  Have tried both and tried it on all 4 systems.

The problem you're running into is the cheap USB cables have a Chinese pirated COPY of the true Prolific logic chip.  Since the Windows XP driver Prolific has included a chip checker in the driver and will disable the COM port if it detects a fake chipset.

The workaround is to remove the existing driver and get the XP driver installed before Windows automatically catches it.

OR

I've never had any issues with Kawamall's USB cables.  His are more expensive though...

He offers both the USB version and the DB9 version you asked about.

DB9 version:

http://www.kawamall.com/pd_1x_kwca0gst.cfm

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 4:27:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought this USB wire, and it works just fine in my Windows 7 64 bits computer

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are the 5R, B5, and B6 radios essentially the same?  Do they use the same programming software (Version, etc)?

No.  The 5R is a different radio and uses different software.  The radios do similar things.

The B5 and B6 are very similar, the main visible difference is the channel knob on the B5 which is missing on the B6.

I'll repost a comment that I have posted in various forms several times now in reference to the 5R, B5 and other similar radios:

One thing to keep in mind with ALL the Chinese brand radios, is that they are NOT primarily designed or intended for amateur radio use. They are products that are designed for the domestic Chinese LMR market as well as other asian LMR markets... they are somewhat trying to adapt to US amateur and LMR markets. So just keep in mind that those radios (for the most part) are designed to be programmed via a computer, do not necessarily have readily accessible front panel features or programming, do not generally have a freely tunable "VFO" mode, do not generally have true simultaneous dual-band operation, often have poor alphanumeric channel tagging (because of typical asian language characters, they tend to use numeric frequency display which is anathema to US LMR users), possibly poor or nonexistent documentation in English, etc. Those are the downsides to the low cost, but depending on your usage those may or may not be important to you.

They are inexpensive, useful and can be fun.  With that said, for most they are a poor choice to try to learn the craft of amateur radio.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 4:40:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't go to that page. I get the following message:

Unable to connect

It loads just fine for me, in either Firefox or Internet Explorer.

Here's a direct link to download the software:

http://www.baofengradio.com/UploadFiles/20121004122251143.rar

That doesn't work either. I wonder if my firewall is blocking it?

My Malwarebytes likes to block that site for some reason. Disable the web blocking portion of it if you are using it or whatever you are using.

Yep, that was it.  Thanks for that info!

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#7]
OK, now I've got an .rar file sitting on my desk top. I guess I'll extract the files and go from there?

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

OK, now I've got an .rar file sitting on my desk top. Now what?

Download WinRAR from rarlabs if you don't have a way to open a rar file

www.rarlabs.com
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, now I've got an .rar file sitting on my desk top. Now what?

Download WinRAR from rarlabs if you don't have a way to open a rar file

www.rarlabs.com

Thanks.  I have the file open and clicked on the test mode.   It wants a password....  Anyone know that the password is.  It has to be the default.

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

JK Radio.  That's where I got my cheapie that died.  Just don't be too rough with it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They are inexpensive, useful and can be fun.  With that said, for most they are a poor choice to try to learn the craft of amateur radio.

It's going to get a lot of people to try it out that wouldn't have otherwise.

Seriously, it's the internet age.  Ham radio is a hard sell already with the amount of homework necessary to even start.  The dough needed to get a quality radio is prohibitive as well.  The ham radio community also maybe isn't the most welcoming for beginners or those without quite the dedication of the diehards.

All that said, this isn't my first exploration into a technically and socially exclusionary communications medium.  When it gets too easy to get on, the quality of the community declines.  

I dearly hope the Baofeng radios aren't ham radio's AOL, even as I come aboard myself with one.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's a good source for a reliable  serial (not usb) programming cable for the Baofeng radios.  I know it uses the Kenwood version.  I got a cable w/ my UV-5R, but it appears to be causing problems.   It has shut down one of my desktops and the radio appears to be trying to broadcast when I have used it.  It's not consistent though.

Which OS is your computer running?

Are you using Baofeng's programming software, or CHIRP?

3 of them are on windows 7 64 bit.  One is on 8.    I've got a daily build of chirp and baofengs software.  Have tried both and tried it on all 4 systems.

The problem you're running into is the cheap USB cables have a Chinese pirated COPY of the true Prolific logic chip.  Since the Windows XP driver Prolific has included a chip checker in the driver and will disable the COM port if it detects a fake chipset.

The workaround is to remove the existing driver and get the XP driver installed before Windows automatically catches it.

OR

I've never had any issues with Kawamall's USB cables.  His are more expensive though...

He offers both the USB version and the DB9 version you asked about.

DB9 version:
http://www.kawamall.com/pd_1x_kwca0gst.cfm

I'll agree the cable has a problem, I don't agree it's the driver.   I've seen bad cables blue screen/reboot a system.  This thing has physically shut the machine off, and it' wouldn't come back on for a minute or so.  Something is majorly wrong w/ that cable.    I work w/ serial stuff and USB -> serial cables all the time.   I've seen the issues w/ the cheap knockoff cables.  This is way worse.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously, it's the internet age.  Ham radio is a hard sell already with the amount of homework necessary to even start.  The dough needed to get a quality radio is prohibitive as well.  The ham radio community also maybe isn't the most welcoming for beginners or those without quite the dedication of the diehards.

All that said, this isn't my first exploration into a technically and socially exclusionary communications medium.  When it gets too easy to get on, the quality of the community declines.  

I dearly hope the Baofeng radios aren't ham radio's AOL, even as I come aboard myself with one.

I'm just trying to set reasonable expectations of the radios and amateur radio in general.

I've found radio to be very welcoming to beginners who are interested in radio and willing to do things right.  It's a technical service built around a lot of freedom given to technically knowledgeable operators.  If your attitude is wanting to learn, you will get a better response than if it's just complaining about the tests, or rules/regulations, that it's too complicated, etc.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 7:04:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

JK Radio.  That's where I got my cheapie that died.  Just don't be too rough with it.

I think the radio came from somewhere else, I have to check the orders. So far, I'm very impressed with the quality of the Wouxun, it seems like a very solid radio

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 7:05:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I noticed that

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 7:13:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's all been downhill since the no code tech.
Seriously though, I'm glad I didn't have to relearn CW to get my general.  I have been looking for a good CW practice site.  CW just seems to have so much to offer for low power comms.

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 7:16:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Another reason to have an amateur radio?

The .gov and Verizon

Honestly I want to be trained and have a system that doesn't have a kill switch hardwired into Obama or any presidents desk.

The whole "lockdown" "blackout" "your under a police control" (ok that last one is from 5th element, but you get the point) is used wayyyy too much. We are seeing a mass movement away from things others control and mini-preppers are becoming very prolific.

I would never say I have enough stuff for anything more than some bad weather. But with that being said, a way to talk without the filter of the media and government if shit every goes sideways, is a good idea.

I never saw a Gadsden flag until a few years ago. Now they are a common sight in my very suburban area.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I'll agree the cable has a problem, I don't agree it's the driver.   I've seen bad cables blue screen/reboot a system.  This thing has physically shut the machine off, and it' wouldn't come back on for a minute or so.  Something is majorly wrong w/ that cable.    I work w/ serial stuff and USB -> serial cables all the time.   I've seen the issues w/ the cheap knockoff cables.  This is way worse.

Ah!  I must have missed the reboot 'symptom'...

That sounds most like an internal short on the USB power bus.

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another reason to have an amateur radio?

The .gov and Verizon

Honestly I want to be trained and have a system that doesn't have a kill switch hardwired into Obama or any presidents desk.

The whole "lockdown" "blackout" "your under a police control" (ok that last one is from 5th element, but you get the point) is used wayyyy too much. We are seeing a mass movement away from things others control and mini-preppers are becoming very prolific.

I would never say I have enough stuff for anything more than some bad weather. But with that being said, a way to talk without the filter of the media and government if shit every goes sideways, is a good idea.

I never saw a Gadsden flag until a few years ago. Now they are a common sight in my very suburban area.

I don't even have a tin hat, and I am not a prepper, but it does make me a little uneasy for the .gov to do this to Verizon so soon after what they did with the Associated Press. It makes me wonder what other intelligence gathering is going on that we don't hear about. I am not paranoid, but this administration just keeps doing things that are almost too much to believe and getting away with it, like F&F, etc.
I will be getting into amateur radio partly for the fun and challenge of it in itself, partly in case of weather or other disasters, to have something to take hunting with me for when I am not in cell tower range, etc. I will either get this HT or maybe spend a little more on a Yeasu or Kenwood.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#20]
My Baofeng UV-B6 must be female because my Yaesu FT-60R just got WOOD standing over her.

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My Baofeng UV-B6 must be female because my Yaesu FT-60R just got WOOD standing over her.
http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq314/Pacs100/w_zps32d7ad46.jpg

actually, i think it spells DOOM !!!

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The ham radio community also maybe isn't the most welcoming for beginners or those without quite the dedication of the diehards.

there is an example of just that right here in this thread -- and despite two separate requests from two separate folks to advise on when he got his license, he has ignored both.  
ergo, i am beginning to think this individual doesn't actually have an amateur license.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 10:48:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 10:53:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The ham radio community also maybe isn't the most welcoming for beginners or those without quite the dedication of the diehards.

there is an example of just that right here in this thread -- and despite two separate requests from two separate folks to advise on when he got his license, he has ignored both.  
ergo, i am beginning to think this individual doesn't actually have an amateur license.

ar-jedi

Who, me?  I was licensed in late 2011.  Just a no code Tech.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 11:00:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 11:02:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Anyone who's got known good USB cables for the Baofeng's, please list links, or if they've got more info on getting them working.

The USB cable I've been using was actually purchased for use with my Wouxun UV-5R - It also works fine with the Baofeng UV-B5. I got it from Ed at Import Communications.

Ed also offers a serial cable - haven't tried it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 11:02:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Big problems with the USB cables out there.

I've worked in IT for over 15 years, and and definitely computer savvy and I figured, "USB cable... what does it matter? As long as it's got electrical connectivity..." I just picked the first one that showed up on the list on Amazon, and didn't bother looking at the reviews.

[url=[/url]

WRONG. The "cable" is a USB to serial adapter, and apparently the Chinese, who'll counterfeit a damp cigarette butt laying on the street if they think they can make a $.001 USD profit off of it have counterfeited the common FTDI and/or Prolific USB to Serial adapter chips. Something that probably sells for pennies in bulk. Windows Update driver updates include the drivers among it's default set, and they've been updated to not work with any counterfeit chips that are detected.

The mini-CD-ROM that came with the cable is worthless, nothing will run in XP 32-bit or Win 7 x64, and just gives runtime errors and won't even load.

Depending on your version of Windows, it may or may not have the old drivers that will work with the counterfeit or anybody's chip. Big PITA fucking mess I'm still trying to sort out. At $10 or less, not even worth trying to mail the fucking thing back to China.

BEWARE.

Anyone who's got known good USB cables for the Baofeng's, please list links, or if they've got more info on getting them working. I'll update if I figure this out. [img]

I got my cable from here.

Running W7-64-HP, I had to go through the instructions here to get the driver working.  The error I got was for COM & LPT.  Once 3.2.0.0 was associated I had no problem using the Baofeng software to program frequencies.

I also found the "Optional Features" tab defaults to Chinese.  After the first programming I turned the radio off before unplugging the connection.  When I turned the radio back on everything was in Chinese.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 11:35:44 PM EDT
[#28]
I have the cable and software installed.  I can see the red LED flashing when the program tries to read the radio.  Then, at various percentages of completion, it fails.  The Chirp programming is not working either.  

I am about ready to chuck this.  I know I bought a cheap Chinese play radio, but I was looking to try this hobby out before I spent a lot of money on real equipment.  Is the programming software any better with the big brand names or does it all suck?

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 11:38:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 11:49:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Well, after my driver-drama, I'm up and running. Avoid the hassle and use one of the known-good cable links people are providing. If you got screwed on your cable, maybe what I've got above will help.

I got CHIRP connected, dumped the Baofeng into CHIRP, and imported a few dozen-odd repeaters for the Milwaukee metro area into it from Repeater Boook, and am listening to the chatter around town.

Easy-Peasy Lemon Squeezy.

Quoted:

I have the cable and software installed.  I can see the red LED flashing when the program tries to read the radio.  Then, at various percentages of completion, it fails.  The Chirp programming is not working either.  

I am about ready to chuck this.  I know I bought a cheap Chinese play radio, but I was looking to try this hobby out before I spent a lot of money on real equipment.  Is the programming software any better with the big brand names or does it all suck?

Sorry, re-read that. Thought it was failing on programming.

What is the error message CHIRP gives you? After about five minutes of play, I decided CHIRP was infinitely better than Baofeng's program.

Let me fire it up again...

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 11:57:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Here is the error message.  This was the last screen of the ones I posted.

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 11:58:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Here's the first screen:

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 11:59:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Next screen:

Notice the Upload to Radio is grayed out?

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 12:01:01 AM EDT
[#34]
The Settings:

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 12:01:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Some sort of warning about the driver being experimental

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 12:04:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Any Idea what I'm doing wrong?  When I try and use the Baofeng software, the red LED on the radio flashes so I know the computer and radio can communicate.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 12:21:12 AM EDT
[#37]
'bout what I got when my cable died on me.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 12:22:03 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 12:27:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  

Better the cable than the whole damn radio.  

Know how to solder?
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 12:29:45 AM EDT
[#40]
I just used the cable to write to the radio with the Boafeng software and it worked.  Of course, the only frequency in that program was 136.000.  I guess I'll have to manually input the info into the Baofeng software to use it.  The Chirp software let me download the area freqs from the internet.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 12:51:54 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I know it doesnt help but I used the link provided and got mine to program first try.

I wish I could help you out but I am the suck with this kind of stuff

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 12:53:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 1:07:32 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just used the cable to write to the radio with the Boafeng software and it worked.  Of course, the only frequency in that program was 136.000.  I guess I'll have to manually input the info into the Baofeng software to use it.  The Chirp software let me download the area freqs from the internet.  

Which cable?  Link?  Your OS?

Wondering if it's failing on some part of the transfer because of a cable/USB driver mismatch. Or the counterfeit USB/RS-232 chip issues.

If the Baofeng software is working, but it's only trying to program in one channel that's not exactly an apples-to-apples test.

I downloaded the USB drivers from the link in this thread. I think they were Prolific (On something like that).  They installed just fine.  When I plug the cable in, the device manager recognizes it and there are no "yellow question marks" so it installed correctly.  I'm using Windows 7.  The cable doesn't say Baofeng, so it must be a knock-off.    

The Boafeng software only came with 136.000 pre-programmed in.  

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 1:10:53 AM EDT
[#44]
My computer is on COM 4

You can change the COM number just by typing (if you didnt know that)
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 1:23:13 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

My computer is on COM 4

I can't change the com port number in the programming software.  I can change it in the device manager, but it doesn't show up in the program.

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 1:25:07 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Quoted:

My computer is on COM 4

I can't change the com port number in the programming software.  I can change it in the device manager, but it doesn't show up in the program.

Youre using chirp?

If so, when the com port box opens up, you can click

the cursor in that box and change the number. It worked for me anyhow (not trying to sound snarky)

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 1:27:00 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My computer is on COM 4

Youre using chirp?

the cursor in that box and change the number. It worked for me anyhow (not trying to sound snarky)

No problem, I'm using the Baofeng software.  I'll try the Chirp and see if that works.  Thanks,

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 1:28:46 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My computer is on COM 4

Youre using chirp?

No problem, I'm using the Baofeng software.  I'll try the Chirp and see if that works.  Thanks,

I just got the CHIRP to work.

Im having the issue of the cable keying the radio though

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 1:32:47 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My computer is on COM 4

Youre using chirp?

I tried com 4 and a bunch of other com ports.  None of them work.  The error message says:

could not open port COM3: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified.

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 1:34:15 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My computer is on COM 4

Youre using chirp?

I tried com 4 and a bunch of other com ports.  None of them work.  The error message says:

could not open port COM3: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified.

Yea, Im getting that code now.

Think the cable is shit here.

Youve heard that already though huh?

Page / 54
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top