Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 21
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 1:18:01 AM EDT
[#1]
We've had lots of dags but the best were wiener dags.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 10:38:41 AM EDT
[#2]
How are they as far as barking goes?  I've always adored doxies, but if they're yappy, I'd lose my apartment.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 10:44:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Here is Oscar aka Mr weenie.  My first dax full of personality and at times a lil shit

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Great dogs.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 10:57:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't mean to be that guy, but I see some photos of peoples' dachshunds jumping, sitting up, overweight, etc.  Dachshunds are prone to spinal problems and run a high enough risk of getting them as-is.  When you allow them to become overweight, or jump while playing, or jump up/down from furniture, or sit up in that 'begging' position...those all add to the risk.

Owning a dachshund is a pretty big responsibility and if yours ends up with spinal issues the surgeries can be EXTREMELY expensive and aren't even guaranteed to fix the problem(s).  I've heard of too many dachshunds getting put down or placed in training wheels and all those things I listed above were allowed/encouraged by their owners.

They need a little special care compared to most other breeds, but you can still play and have fun with them.  Keeping their weight where it should be, training them to stay off the furniture, and buying or building steps for them are all easy/cheap to do and will help keep them safe and healthy.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How are they as far as barking goes?  I've always adored doxies, but if they're yappy, I'd lose my apartment.

They yap. It is a breed thing.

They love their families, but are distrustful of strangers.

A good example is that we have had contractors in our house every day for the last 2 months. The same guy, every damn day, and my Doxie still barks at him.

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 11:10:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They yap. It is a breed thing.

They love their families, but are distrustful of strangers.

A good example is that we have had contractors in our house every day for the last 2 months. The same guy, every damn day, and my Doxie still barks at him.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

My dogs bark at anyone they hear outside or any cars that pull in the driveway.  They'll bark at you as you walk in and then become your friend but if you walk outside for more than a second and come back you're a stranger all over again.  They'll bark at cats outside.  They'll bark at my cat inside.  If one starts barking then the other will start barking then they both start howling together until I either yell out "I'm gonna get the spray bottle!" or I actually go get the spray bottle and squirt the little shits with water.  My purebred acts pretty vicious to strangers but hasn't bitten anyone.

I've seen many other dachshunds that will bite strangers seemingly unprovoked.  My brother-in-law's parents own 4 dachshunds and their oldest one put a canine through the septic installer's hand as he reached over their fence to pet him.  This is a dog that has been harmless his entire life up to that point and after that point so far.

Not the best choice for an apartment because of the barking.  Definitely not a good choice if you're in an apartment complex and have lots of stairs to travel(see my post about spine issues above).  They're also very social dogs and demand a lot of attention from their owners.  If I'm gone for an extended period of time, or I split the two up for whatever reason, they'll become restless and whine a lot.

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#8]
My parents have two mini-Dachs, pure win.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine isn't yappy.  Right now she is sleeping.  If she gets a spurt of energy, she will want me to play fetch with her.
She will bark to alert, but not much else.

I think this is a background thing.  She came from a home where there was a lot of yelling.  When I'm loud or there is a loud noise (gunshot) she will cower or hide.
She is also overly friendly, not aloof with strangers like my last one.

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#10]
My first one, Bo, was the best farm dog ever. Fearless, always by my side, never bothered you, excellent snake killer. Sadly, the worst day ever was when I hit him with the hay mower and had to shoot him out in the pasture. His favorite thing was to run in front of the mower and grab field mice/rats as they scurried.Somehow he went headfirst in a hole and couldnt get out in time.

Second was a beautiful dapple blue male that had been locked in a pen as a breeder for his life. I tried the rescue deal,  and the mean bastard finally tolerated/trusted me but would attack my son if he came anywhere close to me. Wont tolerate an actual biting dog so he went back to being a stud.

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 11:39:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Goofy

Missy

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Otto in Dad's silly Daschund surgical cap

Otto again
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 11:52:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I never knew how great of a dog they were until we got one. She's the best dog I've ever known and loves my little girls to death!

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 11:52:50 AM EDT
[#14]
All of these dogs look at you and think..........."from the knees down you are mine bitch"

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I got bit in the face by one of those devil dogs, y'all can have them.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I got bit in the face by one of those devil dogs, y'all can have them.

Oscar says he is sorry and didn't mean it. Apology kiss?
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 12:13:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Max.  We got him on Mothers Day last year from a shelter.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 12:23:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Penny - RIP 2012

Lily on Cooper our Basset Hound

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Ni!

This is Oscar. He is a 35lb doofus who belongs to my sister.

Crouton the kitten asserting dominance over Oscar

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 12:50:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Awesome thread. I need one of those!
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 12:51:48 PM EDT
[#21]
35 lbs? That's a big dachshund!
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 1:20:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
35 lbs? That's a big dachshund!

Yep. No one believes hes a dachshund at first.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 1:24:25 PM EDT
[#23]
My grandmother bred them and my sister works with a rescue group.

Great dogs overall, small dogs with big dog personality.  They're definitely hounds - like to root around in undergrowth and dig and smell.

Be prepared for back problems though.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 1:25:54 PM EDT
[#24]
</a>" />

My girl as a puppy (She is the one on the right)

</a>" />
Pic of her Mom.

</a>" />

On Patrol

</a>" />l
on duty in overwatch ,checking out the camera
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#25]
I have two Mason and Dixon. They are twins, born in the same sac in their litter of 5 I think.  I just paid off Dixon's spinal surgery this week. He was injured and paralyzed one year ago last weekend from a ruptured disk he blew out jumping off the couch. He had little to no motor function of his rear legs and only deep pain response. We took him to Dothan, AL where Dr. Martin said he thought he could fix him. Three days later picked him up and I saw his tail wag for the first time in 6 days. The doctor let us have him because he had wet his bedding on the second or third day post opp. so they thought he was good to go. We got him home and he couldn't pee. We had to catheder  or express his bladder for the next two weeks. He once went 17hrs without relieving himself.

I would take him on his walk with his brother and pull him in a wagon. We got to his favorite stop sign and I would support his rear legs with a wide cotton belt and he would sniff the sign and try to pee. The 1st pee he squirted out was a milestone! Once his wound healed we went down to my neighbors pool and he wore a little doggy lifejacket and we would swim. He kept his back left paw tucked underneath his body and only kicked with his other three legs. I discovered that if I tickled his left paw during the swim stroke he would fire out a single kick, then two, next day three. In another week he would kick on his own as he chased his toy in the pool. On land, I would hold him up, supporting his rear legs with one hand, and mimicking a walking gait with my other hand manipulating his dead feeling little paw. I did this on a lot of different surfaces to get different feedback on his paw pads. One day he got up off his bed, and although wobbly, walked 25' across the patio to go pee on some dirt!

27 days after his injury he walked on his own for the first time. I was amazed at what that 10yr old little dog had done and still get emotional when I think about all he went through. I will never forget the way he looked up at me and all the pain in his little brown eyes, I was not going to give up on him because he never would give up on me. He is without a doubt the most brave and noble little creature I have ever known. He will be 11 in two days and now we get a little running in on our walks, sometimes he even out-kicks his brother to the finish line on our nightly race home. These two little dogs have added a lot of joy to our lives.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 1:37:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Rascal

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 1:42:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

My chocolate dapple is VERY quiet only barks at loud unexpected noises.  Like someone pounding at the door at 3Am. Then I don't mind the barking.  The smaller Black and Tan is much more vocal.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Cerv, what did the surgery cost you?
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 2:15:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 2:17:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I can't speak for others, but mine (page 1) does not yap. She barks with the force of a German Shepherd. However, she never barks unless someone comes to the door, or if she hears something out of the ordinary. Sometimes she'll go days without barking. She does whine a good bit though...
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 2:21:18 PM EDT
[#32]

Pure awesomeness.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Are they playful and good with kids?
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 2:33:19 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

They can be hard to pick uniforms for.

http://i42.tinypic.com/euh9qw.jpg

I lol'd.

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 2:36:39 PM EDT
[#35]
2 pages and no wiener dog nationals ?

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 2:39:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Are they playful and good with kids?

Mine is, but my previous one got less tolerant the older she got.
Kids (small kids anyway) need to understand that these dogs won't take pressure on the spine, and MUST be carried to support the spine.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#37]
I cant access my photobucket right now, but mine has brought complete joy to me since last February. He's sacked out on my lap as I attempt to post this.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 2:49:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rsM6vrTEvg

im cryin...lol
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 3:10:40 PM EDT
[#39]
awwww, this thread :)

I'll have to post a pic of my beagle/dachound. She is a really good tracker.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 5:38:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rsM6vrTEvg

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#41]
This guy survived a cottonmouth bite last month, protecting me and his territory:

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#42]

My Bernie Boy!

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 8:31:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Hank was a Mother's Day present about 5 years ago. Hank goes the the gun shop every day and has his own monogram chair. Sitting up high he can keep an eye on us and our customers. After Hank had owned us for around a year my wife asked me," If we had known about Dachshunds do you think we would have had kids?" I told her no.

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 8:34:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Dachshund ist best hund!

Longhairs are the best.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Hank was a Mother's Day present about 5 years ago. Hank goes the the gun shop every day and has his own monogram chair. Sitting up high he can keep an eye on us and our customers. After Hank had owned us for around a year my wife asked me," If we had known about Dachshunds do you think we would have had kids?" I told her no.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/ltcdwb/100_0701.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/ltcdwb/photo17.jpg

Hank is awesome.  

My folks have a mini weiner dog, and he is my bestest little bud when I visit them.  Such a great personality on him

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 8:38:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've got a little Red LongHaired Dapple laying beside me right now.

A hairy hot dog!
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I've always owed big mutts but this might be my next dag.

Big mutts in a small body.

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 8:42:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Do half-breeds count?

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/wdnuwndr/media/DSCN0605.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/wdnuwndr/DSCN0605.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/wdnuwndr/media/zeke2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/wdnuwndr/zeke2.jpg</a>

Holy crap. A wiener dog-pug cross?

It's a wiener pug!
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#50]

Two wiener dogs and their returning soldier.
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top