Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2013 9:07:08 PM EDT
So, I do almost all of my cooking these days with store bought lard. I attend a lot of cookouts/potlucks with Jews and Muslims. I am almost sure that store bought lard contains pig fat. However, the Muslims in particular ask not if my food contains pork, but if it contains pork or lard. I tend to make Mexican food, where I I deep fry beans and corn tortillas in lard (for tacos or corn chips). I also cook enough ground beef to render my own lard.

I'm wondering if beef lard is kosher/halal or not. Since lard is unhealthy, and most of God's food laws discriminate against unhealthy foods, I am thinking it probably is not. But I am curious as google has not been definitive.

I feel kind of bad telling the Jews/Muslims not to eat the food I bring just in case. I'd like to know if beef lard is halal or not.

FWIW I really hate cooking with vegetable oil.

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd think beef renderings are halal, but not kosher.

Kosher is a very strict set of rules.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#2]
A potluck with Muslims, Jews, and an infidel.

There's a joke in there somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 9:11:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

And they're eating tacos together... hmmmmm  
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 9:12:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Will there be pressure cookers ?
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Use rendered goose fat.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 9:21:50 PM EDT
[#6]
it should say on the container or have that -K- symbol
unless I am much mistaken
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 9:28:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So, I do almost all of my cooking these days with store bought lard. I attend a lot of cookouts/potlucks with Jews and Muslims. I am almost sure that store bought lard contains pig fat. However, the Muslims in particular ask not if my food contains pork, but if it contains pork or lard. I tend to make Mexican food, where I I deep fry beans and corn tortillas in lard (for tacos or corn chips). I also cook enough ground beef to render my own lard.

I'm wondering if beef lard is kosher/halal or not. Since lard is unhealthy, and most of God's food laws discriminate against unhealthy foods, I am thinking it probably is not. But I am curious as google has not been definitive.

I feel kind of bad telling the Jews/Muslims not to eat the food I bring just in case. I'd like to know if beef lard is halal or not.

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Solution: Cook for paleo enthusiasts, who happen to be atheists. It's an untapped market.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Regular lard IS pig fat.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 9:33:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/notsureifserious.jpg
I am from Arizona. The Mexicans whole heartedly approve of my home cooking. The Muslims are from Pakisatan. I feel bad telling them not to eat what I like bring, espeically since they always bring delicious spicy chicken. I'm wondering if I should go buy some konola oil for such gatherings or if I can get away with saving beef fat.  

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 9:33:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Depending upon how kosher/observant your guests are, you might be able to get away with tallow made with kosher beef fat BUT for those observant folks, it won't fly since the Torah tells us not to eat fat from cattle, sheep or goats. Hence my earlier suggestion: use goose fat (or chicken fat) that has been rendered. Doing that means you don't need to worry about mixing milk and meat too.

For the record, I eat bacon (so obviously I don't keep kosher) just telling it the way it is for others who observe that stuff.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 9:35:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's another thought: Why not list your ingredients, and let folks choose for themselves?
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Here's another thought: Why not list your ingredients, and let folks choose for themselves?

I do that already. I just want my food to be more inclusive. And I have a deep belief that food that should be cooked in fat does not taste as good cooked in vegetable oil.

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 9:49:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Cook it in vegetable oil if you want to be inclusive.

Otherwise stop worrying. THEY are the ones who have food hangups. Their burden, not yours.

If they want Kosher/Halal for every meal they can cook for themselves or go to the old country. Potluck is potluck.

Check out halal slaughter. Fucked up shit.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 9:55:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do that already. I just want my food to be more inclusive. And I have a deep belief that food that should be cooked in fat does not taste as good cooked in vegetable oil.

And you're dead nuts right, on that. Don't change it, to suit superstitious dietary demands. Make the best dishes you know how, and let people know what they're eating, so they can choose for themselves.

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 9:56:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And you're dead nuts right, on that. Don't change it, to suit superstitious dietary demands. Make the best dishes you know how, and let people know what they're eating, so they can choose for themselves.  

And I bet he'll be surprised how many either just enjoy it with no comment or say, "well, just this once!"  
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 10:03:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And I bet he'll be surprised how many either just enjoy it with no comment or say, "well, just this once!"  

Yup.

I've enjoyed bacon with many Jews at the IHOP after a late night drinking.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 10:08:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Doing that means you don't need to worry about mixing milk and meat too.

What the what??

How the hell can you make sausage gravy without milk?

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 10:13:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Explain to your Muslim friends that it is cow fat and not hog lard...shouldn't be a big deal.

Not sure about how the Jews feel about it though.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 10:21:47 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd like to here some more about this community where these diverse groups come together.

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 10:58:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I'd like to here some more about this community where these diverse groups come together.

Grad school. Every continent except for the continent of nanny state English felons are represented.

Link Posted: 5/14/2013 11:14:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Grad school. Every continent except for the continent of nanny state English felons are represented.

The triangle?

If so I can believe it. Lots of Muslims in school there.
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 11:29:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/14/2013 11:34:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Wait...You're in Grad School and you don't know that lard IS pig fat?  

You are right. I guess the right terminology would be beef tallow.
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 12:07:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Isn't it the method of preparation that determines what is halal?  Pigs are off the menu but cows (and I presume all cow-related products) provided they were slaughtered in an approved way.

Link Posted: 5/15/2013 12:37:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Cook it fucking correctly.  
Tell them no it is cooked the correct way and not how it was prescribed by a savage kiddie fucker and mass murderer.

Link Posted: 5/15/2013 1:08:46 AM EDT
[#28]
beef tallow is fine.You can also use rendered goose fat for kosher as well.
Link Posted: 5/15/2013 5:48:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No Aussie chicks.
Sorry man.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top