Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/9/2013 11:39:12 AM EDT
I only ordered 20 lbs because I'm in Ohio, people are afraid.

What's the order of cooking for the mudbutts?

Boil with seasoning
Potatoes. corn. mushrooms, onions, sausage - Crawfish?
Shrimp
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Make water hot enough to bubble.  Put in seasoning.  Put in slow cooking stuff.
Put in mudbugs
Dump on table (not the water, the bugs and slow cooking stuff)
Eat.

If in Cajun country, research alternate meanings of "suck de head" and "pinch de tail".
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Must purge first
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 11:47:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Firstly, they're "mudbugs", not "mudbutts".

Purge crawfish.  (google it)  This is very important

Prepare your pot.  Correct amount of water.

Seasoning.  (I prefer "Swampfire" or "Slap Yo Mama" but the likelihood of you finding them in Ohio is very low.)

In addition to the crawfish I add:

Conecuh Sausage (a nod to my friends from AL  who introduced me to the best sassidge made)
Whole heads of garlic
Whole artichokes
small onions (peeled but whole)
halved and squeezed lemons
red potatoes
corn
whole mushrooms

Salt.  (this depends on which boil mix you use honestly.  Some of em are loaded w salt, some not)

Bring your seasoned water to a boil.  Add all but the mudbugs and return to a boil.  Once it has boiled, add the crawfish.  it will stop boiling.  return to boil and turn off heat.  Add 10# of ice.

HERE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART!!!!!!  Let it soak for MINIMUM 20 minutes.  This is where the flavor will get in the little critters.

Pull out the basket (you remembered that before you added anything to the pot right?) and dump on a table that isn't wood.  Enjoy.

ETA:  Make sure you get to the mushrooms before everyone else realizes that they are the best part of the whole damn party.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Seasoning.  (I prefer "Swampfire" or "Slap Yo Mama" but the likelihood of you finding them in Ohio is very low.)

Conecuh Sausage (a nod to my friends from AL  who introduced me to the best sassidge made)
Whole heads of garlic
Whole artichokes
red potatoes
corn
whole mushrooms

Salt.  (this depends on which boil mix you use honestly.  Some of em are loaded w salt, some not)

Bring your seasoned water to a boil.  Add all but the mudbugs and return to a boil.  Once it has boiled, add the crawfish.  it will stop boiling.  return to boil and turn off heat.  Add 10# of ice.

HERE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART!!!!!!  Let it soak for MINIMUM 20 minutes.  This is where the flavor will get in the little critters.

Pull out the basket (you remembered that before you added anything to the pot right?) and dump on a table that isn't wood.  Enjoy.

ETA:  Make sure you get to the mushrooms before everyone else realizes that they are the best part of the whole damn party.

I know they're mudbugs but the last time I had them the person didn't purge them and they were mudbutts.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 5/9/2013 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#7]
No mushrooms
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Boil with seasoning
Shrimp

Throw them in with your prime rib.

Boil till tender.MMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 11:54:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No mushrooms

Damn Yankees.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I will have mushrooms. I have a lot of stuff, just wanted the order of adding stuff so it doesn't over cook.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#11]
DO NOT PURGE IN SALT WATER, THAT JUST KILLS THEM.

Get a large pot and bring it to a boil. A very violent, rolling boil.

Add Zatarain's (zatarains.com) and salt along with potatoes, corn, garlic cloves and onions.

Put crawfish in a tub of clean fresh water - fill over their heads. Drain and repeat 3-4 times. This will get them clean. Discard any dead crawfish (straight-tails) and debris.

Dump crawfish into pot and return to rolling boil. Boil for 7-10 minutes.

Turn the fire off and let them sit for 20 minutes. This is where they will absorb the seasoning. If you would like them to be a little hotter, you can dump a bag of ice on top of them.

Drain, dump on newspaper spread out on table and enjoy.

Don't forget to suck the heads.

ETA: I was born and raised in Jefferson Parish Louisiana and lived there for 34 years. I've done this more times that you can count.

Link Posted: 5/9/2013 11:58:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Another good thing to boil (after the crawfish) is eggs.  Poke a small hole in the shell and toss in the boiling water.  Brussel sprouts are also good.  They soak up a lot of the seasoning and can get pretty spicy.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Ignore the screams.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#14]
20 pounds?

The fuck?

My girlfriend eats that much.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Must purge first

Dammit!  You were supposed to let him figure that out on his own!  
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 12:02:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Are you supposed to let the bugs sit in clean water for a day to help clean them out?  Thought I heard this.  

They are easy to catch but with so much boat traffic on the lakes here I feel like they are 1/2 pickled in gasoline.

Link Posted: 5/9/2013 12:03:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Crack a few dozen eggs.

DO NOT break the shell of the eggs. Simply create hairline cracks around the egg shell. Drop these suckers in the boil and you will have the best fucking eggs you have ever had.

We also add onions, potatoes, corn, and mushrooms.

Link Posted: 5/9/2013 12:03:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Boil with seasoning
Shrimp

Mudbutt?

I may not be versed on crawfish but I think they are called mudbugs.  I am pretty sure mudbutt is something entirely different.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Add Zatarain's (zatarains.com) and salt along with potatoes, corn, garlic cloves and onions.

Put crawfish in a tub of clean fresh water - fill over their heads. Drain and repeat 3-4 times. This will get them clean. Discard any dead crawfish (straight-tails) and debris.

Turn the fire off and let them sit for 20 minutes. This is where they will absorb the seasoning. If you would like them to be a little hotter, you can dump a bag of ice on top of them.

ETA: I was born and raised in Jefferson Parish Louisiana and lived there for 34 years. I've done this more times that you can count.

This man speaks the truth--was on the 10 year LSU plan myself.

Link Posted: 5/9/2013 12:09:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Crawfish in Ohio?????

Link Posted: 5/9/2013 12:17:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sounds good to me. We just spray the shit out of them with hose for a little while though.

Make one of these.

*not mine
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 12:21:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds good to me. We just spray the shit out of them with hose for a little while though.

Make one of these.
http://www.louisianasportsman.com/classifieds/pics/p1353508650865745.jpg
http://www.louisianasportsman.com/classifieds/pics/p1353508678144930.jpg
http://www.louisianasportsman.com/classifieds/pics/p1353508727908228.jpg
*not mine

That cooker is pretty impressive.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 12:30:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/9/2013 12:32:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Um, we just pull the tails off and put it on a hook.
Fish love um.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Whole heads of garlic
Whole artichokes
red potatoes
corn
whole mushrooms

this man knows what the fuck he is talking about.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#27]
So can you eat just any type of crayfish, or do you need special swamp ones from the south.

There are tons of them up here in the rivers, I catch them and use them for bass bait.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

return to boil and turn off heat.  Add 10# of ice.

Add ice? Sounds strange.  

What's the idea, keep 'em from overcooking?

Link Posted: 5/9/2013 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-H8U4T_nsujU/UYwKI5dM0EI/AAAAAAAACLw/P62Df2hzU9Q/w709-h532-no/IMG_0125.JPG

Add ice? Sounds strange.  

SCORE on the seasoning but you're gonna need more.  We get it in 5# bags. That'll season a sac of crawfish.  (~40#s)

As for the ice?  It's just how the coon asses who taught me how to do a boil showed me.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm also in OH, but I work with a ton of people from LA and TX.  I ate my first crawfish last year, and this thread has me very VERY hungry.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Yes, the ice keeps them from over cooking.  They'll keep cooking for a little while after you turn off the fire.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 1:00:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Zataran's ++ I like mine spicey.
You forget spicey smoked sausage Andouille preferred.
Locally I like "Savoie's Andouille Sausage.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 1:08:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-H8U4T_nsujU/UYwKI5dM0EI/AAAAAAAACLw/P62Df2hzU9Q/w709-h532-no/IMG_0125.JPG

Add ice? Sounds strange.  

SCORE on the seasoning but you're gonna need more.  We get it in 5# bags. That'll season a sac of crawfish.  (~40#s)

As for the ice?  It's just how the coon asses who taught me how to do a boil showed me.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I use it when making etoufee (spelling?).  

I have yet to do my own crawfish boil, but I do love those mudbugs.  And, yes, this yankee sucks the heads.  That's the best part.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 1:10:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Add ice? Sounds strange.  

makes the crawfish go "shit thats cold!!!" and they huddle up
for whatever reason it makes them suck up the juice/seasoning

personally I like my crawfish to be hot as can be... so no ice
they go in a cooler and then coated in crawfish boil seasoning and then a good shake and a small rest

ohh and 20 pounds LOL I know not everybody cant eat crawfish like me but for our crawfish boil Sunday we have 300 pounds coming

ETA: some lemons and butter will go a long way in making your crawfish easy peeling
+10000000 on the sausage...
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 1:19:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Add ice? Sounds strange.  

makes the crawfish go "shit thats cold!!!" and they huddle up
for whatever reason it makes them suck up the juice/seasoning

personally I like my crawfish to be hot as can be... so no ice
they go in a cooler and then coated in crawfish boil seasoning and then a good shake and a small rest

ohh and 20 pounds LOL I know not everybody cant eat crawfish like me but for our crawfish boil Sunday we have 300 pounds coming

ETA: some lemons and butter will go a long way in making your crawfish easy peeling
+10000000 on the sausage...

I forgot to mention the butter or oil.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Drool.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#37]
this no saltwater purge thing is interesting...

have always purged ours. they go crazy and almost immediately dirty up the water...
gritty crawfish is just about the worst offense you can make
rates right up there with no seasoning

ETA: if you use liquid boil. just take note it has about 3x the salt content in it and plan accordingly
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#39]
I like to get a can of baby corn, asparagus, or whatever vegetable to throw in the boil. Peel the label off and poke holes in the top/bottom and chunk it in with the rest of the stuff. Really soaks up the seasoning.

Cauliflower heads in a fine mesh bag works good too. Oh and boil a whole ham if you want one of the best things on this planet!
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Relocated by Katrina?
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 1:35:54 PM EDT
[#41]
This is a picture that was taken by a fellow ARFCOMer. The meme explains it all.

Link Posted: 5/9/2013 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#42]
The only time I ever ate crawfish it tasted exactly the way the dirt on the bottom of a muddy river smells.

Is that the way they are supposed to taste or is that from improper prep (not purging?) or bad craws?

I'm willing to give them another try, but the ones I had were totally unappetizing, and I am willing to eat things

people consider "gross" like raw oysters, pickled herring, etc.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The only time I ever ate crawfish it tasted exactly the way the dirt on the bottom of a muddy river smells.

Is that the way they are supposed to taste or is that from improper prep (not purging?) or bad craws?

I'm willing to give them another try, but the ones I had were totally unappetizing, and I am willing to eat things

not enough beer
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 1:45:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

not enough beer

LOL, you are probably right about that!
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 1:48:00 PM EDT
[#45]
This instructional is quite entertaining...

How to Crawfish boil with a cajun 2009
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

not enough beer

LOL, you are probably right about that!

I don't even like crawfish sober, but after a six pack I can eat 10 lbs of it.

Link Posted: 5/9/2013 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

They probably didn't purge it. Get it from a real Cajun and you'll love um.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Usually process 50lb sacks at a time in a large tub.  I've always filled tub with crawfish, water then salt them.  Let them sit for 10 minutes or so then drain the water. This is called puking or burping the crawfish.  Fill back with water, salt then sit.  Maybe once more depending on how dirty the water is coming out.   Learned this from my father who was born in Houma, Louisiana.  Hehe, I'm big city from Baton Rouge :P  Usually, we just dump a big jar of red pepper in with some crawfish boil.  Put in potato's, corn, sausage, onions, lemon, mushrooms.  Beware the corn, it will light you up :D  

Never eat a crawfish with a straight tail.  Means it was dead before boiled.
Link Posted: 5/9/2013 2:11:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Like this. Best work provided meal I've had.

Link Posted: 5/9/2013 2:15:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Like this. Best work provided meal I've had.

<a href="http://s176.photobucket.com/user/PantherArms/media/mudbutts_zps4f7e2f94.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w161/PantherArms/mudbutts_zps4f7e2f94.jpg</a>

is that cocktail sauce?!?!?!
corn is yellow
should be orange and taste like lava
2/10
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top