BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 20
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 11:43:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well I ended up finding a DJI 450 kit on amazon that I got.

I still need a radio and receiver.  I was looking at a turnigy 9xr.  I loaded everything up on the hobby king website, but the $35 on a 70 dollar order hurts.

Any suggestions?  For where to buy an rx, tx, and batteries?  What about other replacement parts like props, arms, and motors?

The closest hobby shop to me basically didn't have any quad parts in stock.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
anyone have recommendations for sites to buy from?
depends what you are buying

I still need a radio and receiver.  I was looking at a turnigy 9xr.  I loaded everything up on the hobby king website, but the $35 on a 70 dollar order hurts.

Any suggestions?  For where to buy an rx, tx, and batteries?  What about other replacement parts like props, arms, and motors?

Everything you need can be found on  Ebay mostly with free shipping and if you need the cheap price buy directly from the Chinese vendors.  When you buy from China or Hong Kong it just takes longer to receive but usually in about 10 days.  You can buy a $2 part from China and not pay shipping.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 3:52:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Everything you need can be found on  Ebay mostly with free shipping and if you need the cheap price buy directly from the Chinese vendors.  When you buy from China or Hong Kong it just takes longer to receive but usually in about 10 days.  You can buy a $2 part from China and not pay shipping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

transmitters rundown:

• 9XR (best value, if you get one that works. Does not include transmitter pod/antenna that plugs in back! I use this.)

• 9X (a bit old but okay, cheap)

• Taranis (the most features, but never in stock. Would get this one.)

• Dx7 (good radio, but into the money a bit)

• Futaba 7c or 8fg (good radios, but into the money a lot...most reliable maybe?)

Receivers:

• LRS 433mhz system (best range period but can be complex to setup, ~40 miles line of sight, can fly behind barns and through forests. Brands in order of what I would use: DTF UHF, Flytron OpenLRS, EZuhf, Rangelink)

• 2.4ghz system (easy medium range 5 miles los, can fly behind trees) FRsky, Flysky, Spektrum, Futaba etc etc its all good.

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 6:35:49 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Make sure you are ordering from the US website not the international.  That is why the shipping is so high.
View Quote
Yeah, all coming from the international warehouse.  It didn't appear to be an option to get it at the US warehouse.

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 6:36:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

transmitters rundown:

• 9XR (best value, if you get one that works. Does not include transmitter pod/antenna that plugs in back! I use this.)

• Futaba 7c or 8fg (good radios, but into the money a lot...most reliable maybe?)

Receivers:

• LRS 433mhz system (best range period but can be complex to setup, ~40 miles line of sight, can fly behind barns and through forests. Brands in order of what I would use: DTF UHF, Flytron OpenLRS, EZuhf, Rangelink)

• 2.4ghz system (easy medium range 5 miles los, can fly behind trees) FRsky, Flysky, Spektrum, Futaba etc etc its all good.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

transmitters rundown:

Receivers:

Thanks, I'll check into those.

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 6:37:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,  I looked for the control board I wanted on ebay but they were all about 2x the normal price which was disappointing.  I'll check for other parts there tonight.

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 6:58:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yeah, all coming from the international warehouse.  It didn't appear to be an option to get it at the US warehouse.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Make sure you are ordering from the US website not the international.  That is why the shipping is so high.

Hobby King?

If you paid with a cc or paypal (and I hope you did), be prepared to request a refund or cancel your order.

If you order from HobbyKing, only order if your item can be fulfilled at a US warehouse.  

The lead time on an international order is measured in months.  And that's assuming you'll actually get your order.  HK CS is virtually non-existent so a refund might necessarily have to be handled by your CC company.

I'm not spewing hyperbole here.  the list of pissed off people is long and varied over on Helifreak.com.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hobby King?

If you paid with a cc or paypal (and I hope you did), be prepared to request a refund or cancel your order.

If you order from HobbyKing, only order if your item can be fulfilled at a US warehouse.  

The lead time on an international order is measured in months.  And that's assuming you'll actually get your order.  HK CS is virtually non-existent so a refund might necessarily have to be handled by your CC company.

I'm not spewing hyperbole here.  the list of pissed off people is long and varied over on Helifreak.com.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hobby King?

Thanks for the headsup.  Didn't make the order.

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hobby King?

In the left corner above where you select what type of RC vehicle parts you are looking for is where you select Worldwide or USA warehouse.  The top of the blue section.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 8:37:26 PM EDT
[#9]
This stuff is overwhelming.

HK does have the turnigy 9xr from the US warhouse, but I'm still stuck on what module to get and what receiver I need.

I don't really know what needs to match up to get it to work?  Are there certain receivers that wont work with different flite control boards?  

I have a NAZA M Lite + GPS  on the way, and want to get it to work with the 9xr.  Do I have to make sure the tx module and receiver module will communicate with the GPS also?
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

HK does have the turnigy 9xr from the US warhouse, but I'm still stuck on what module to get and what receiver I need.

I don't really know what needs to match up to get it to work?  Are there certain receivers that wont work with different flite control boards?  

I have a NAZA M Lite + GPS  on the way, and want to get it to work with the 9xr.  Do I have to make sure the tx module and receiver module will communicate with the GPS also?
View Quote

I would do what I have done and look on Youtube for someone trying to bind that transmitter to a Naza m lite system and see if you can see what receiver they have.  I chose the AR6200 receiver based on some videos and I will only need 5-6 channels on my waterproof quads I am building.  I will be using my Spectrum DMX5e or DMX6i to fly those quads with naza lite GPS controllers.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 10:24:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would recommend the Frsky modules for the 9x/9xr/taranis.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=14349&aff=976815

There are a number of receivers that work with that system and they get good range.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 10:36:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Hobby King?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hobby King?

I ordered the majority of my build parts from the US warehouse and it showed in a week. The other parts from the international warehouse (separate order) took a bit over two weeks.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 11:35:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I ordered this Turnigy 9x 8 channel from HobbyKings US warehouse. It comes with the receiver and transmitter module. Just a thought, and whatever you get, make sure its "mode 2"
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 11:52:46 PM EDT
[#14]
And finally, my post Had a bit of time off because of a wisdom tooth removal, so I figured that I should get to putting my damn quadcopter together after the parts had been laying in my office for over 2 weeks. Despite the vicodin (or maybe thanks to it), I was feeling pretty confident. The frame was not quite as "user friendly" as I had hoped. Not only did the ESCs not fit into the arms like they were supppsed to, but all the cutouts for the motor mounts were just short enough that all of them had to be extended with a dremel. Add that on top of the fact that the flight control board plate not being large enough to screw all four of the kk2.1 board screws in, and I was not all too pleased.

Nonetheless, I got all of the hardware mounted (I put the ESCs under the arms with zip ties) and started configuring things. First, my transmitter would say "switch error" when I flicked it on. Turns out, all of the switches have to be in a specific position for the transmitter to turn on initially. Next, I had issues getting the kk2.1 to arm from safe mode. The receiver test would show me putting inputs on the transmitter which the board was seeing, but then wouldn't arm when I moved the rudder stick down and to the right as instructed. As it turned out, I wired the rx to the board incorrectly, failing to notice on the test screen that I had switched the rudder and airleron leads on the board. Everything now appears to be working, and I will post video as soon as I can take it out. Im pretty stoked

Boring video of me spinning up the motors for the first time
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 3:54:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=14349&aff=976815

There are a number of receivers that work with that system and they get good range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I support this advice. I have a FrSky Tx pack and a rx with diversity and it works great for medium range. It'll outdo any line of sight flying you may do.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 7:05:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I ordered the majority of my build parts from the US warehouse and it showed in a week. The other parts from the international warehouse (separate order) took a bit over two weeks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hobby King?

Some times, some folks get lucky.  Right now there's a thread started nearly every day by someone who got shite on by HK.  This primarily happens when shipping from an international warehouse.  

You stand to save quite a bit of money.  I'd like a couple 6s Turnigy batteries, but I don't want to piss away $100.  Some times a gamble pays off.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 10:02:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Some times, some folks get lucky.  Right now there's a thread started nearly every day by someone who got shite on by HK.  This primarily happens when shipping from an international warehouse.  

You stand to save quite a bit of money.  I'd like a couple 6s Turnigy batteries, but I don't want to piss away $100.  Some times a gamble pays off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hobby King?

There's definitely plenty of folks that seem to get burned, but I've had plenty of good luck with the international warehouse.  Shipping takes 2-5 weeks and tracking info is shoddy typically, but it's always gotten here.  I've placed 30+ orders with HK and I'm betting 3/4 were the Int warehouse.  Just pay with Paypal and if you haven't received it before the 45 day dispute period is up, dispute it.  Prices and availability is much better if you don't mind waiting for SLOW shipping.  

Rob78, if you want some of those 6s Turnigy batteries, let me know which ones you want and I'll add them to my next order.  If they don't show, then don't worry about them, if they do, you can paypal me for them and I'll ship them from Houston.

Here's some of my fun from the weekend.

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:06:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Are there any decent hobby shops in Houston?
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:09:01 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I support this advice. I have a FrSky Tx pack and a rx with diversity and it works great for medium range. It'll outdo any line of sight flying you may do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just to confirm, that link includes a receiver that goes on the quad too right?

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct, you'll receive the module that plugs into the back of the transmitter and the receiver module that mounts on the quad.  

This is the receiver that I use most.  Its nice and small and will do 8 channels through PPM and still output rsssi and telemetry.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Ladies and gentlemen, I just experienced the most Southern helicopter crash the world has ever seen.

I managed to ditch my Syma s107g in a bowl of bacon grease.  I rinsed it off in the sink and hit it with a hair dryer for a few minutes and it continued to fly until the battery expired.

I'm so confused right now. I'm concerned that it'll have permanent damage... but it smells fucking delicious.

Also, my Hubsan X4 arrives tomorrow. I got the one with an onboard camera.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ladies and gentlemen, I just experienced the most Southern helicopter crash the world has ever seen.

I managed to ditch my Syma s107g in a bowl of bacon grease.  I rinsed it off in the sink and hit it with a hair dryer for a few minutes and it continued to fly until the battery expired.

I'm so confused right now. I'm concerned that it'll have permanent damage... but it smells fucking delicious.

Also, my Hubsan X4 arrives tomorrow. I got the one with an onboard camera.
View Quote

I was flying my little Airhog Quad a few weeks back and always worry flying my other big quads over water for fear of crashing.  Where did that little Airhog end up but in the damn dogs water dish
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Pics from last weekend.

Link Posted: 4/1/2014 12:46:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Beautiful pics.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 3:28:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Beautiful pics.
View Quote

+1 great photos
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Wow....nice photos!
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

WOW!!!!   Where is that lighthouse?
View All Quotes

http://sites.mnhs.org/historic-sites/split-rock-lighthouse
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

http://sites.mnhs.org/historic-sites/split-rock-lighthouse
View All Quotes

Thanks!  Screw all that white stuff but that would make for a nice motorcycle trip in the summer.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#30]
It is nice in the summer.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#31]

Much more to my liking.  For you that live up north I don't know how you survive on 2-3 months of warm weather a year.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Much more to my liking.  For you that live up north I don't know how you survive on 2-3 months of warm weather a year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Me neither. I am a transplant from Texas.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Piss.

So I got this new Acro Naze32, test flew it today and its more stable
and lightweight than the APM I had installed. But I was flying FPV and
got to 50' and tried to come down just a bit and it just flipped and
flipped into the dirt. Guess I need to do more PID tuning and structural
reinforcements.

Worst part is that I broke the carbon fiber plate and I don't have a spare. :(

Link Posted: 5/17/2014 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm having a problem with props.

I have the DJI 2212/920 motors.  The props need to be keyed the entire depth of the hub.  I ordered these thinking they were the correct thing.

They are only keyed for half of the depth of the hub.  Any suggestions?

Link Posted: 5/17/2014 8:13:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I have the DJI 2212/920 motors.  The props need to be keyed the entire depth of the hub.  I ordered these thinking they were the correct thing.

View Quote

I have the same motors.  Keyed half way is correct.  Keyed portion faces up.  Push the round opening very firmly down on the shaft.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 9:04:54 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I have the same motors.  Keyed half way is correct.  Keyed portion faces up.  Push the round opening very firmly down on the shaft.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting.  My stock props were keyed the the entire depth.  My buddy tried putting them on, but couldn't get them far enough on to tighten the bolt.  

Link Posted: 5/18/2014 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#37]
I was just at AUVSI in Orlando last week.  The future is here, Skynet is self-aware, and we are pretty much fucked.

Something else I learned is that Turkish military guys look very sad when they're interested in your product and then they realize you're US based so BAM ITAR.
ETA: as someone who deals in automation, PID tuning is a bitch.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 10:57:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Has anyone used the Hobbypower Brushless gimbal?  It may or may not be the same as the goodluckbuy gimbal.  

I am having difficulty getting it to do anything.  I'm not sure what to connect to my naza m lite and receiver.

thanks.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 2:48:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Hobby King?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hobby King?

Last order I got from Hobby King, I kept an eye on my card, to see when the charge went through.  A few days after my bank showed that Hobby King had their money, I checked my order status on Hobby King's website, and it was still listed as waiting for my payment.  

I clicked on their customer service, typed out a nice message listing my order number, when it was placed, the transaction number from my bank, the amount of the transaction, the number of the account my bank sent the funds to and when the funds were deposited into that account, then pointed out that they were still showing my order as waiting on payment, when they had been holding my money in their hands for a few days.  They didn't reply to my message, but they did switch my order from 'waiting on payment' status.  I got the entire order a couple weeks later.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 12:52:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Here's what I've been playing with...

Link Posted: 6/13/2014 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Nice!  what kind of payload and flight times are you getting.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

That's a pretty sweet heavy lifter!

Since more and more people have been building the mini quads, I've watched more than a couple friends struggle to wire them up, especially those who'd never build a quad before.  So I came up with something to make it easier.  

Integrated power distribution board with 12v step up and OSD.
Makes building them a whole lot simpler.

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 3:27:40 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

just got my F450 w naza lite and DX6 all dialed in with LED lighting. I am wanting a discovery chassis with FPV SO bad right now!!!!  

View All Quotes
well the chassis came back in stock so I got a set on the way.

Link Posted: 6/21/2014 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Where do you fly? Doesn't seem to be many in North Texas...
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I was just at AUVSI in Orlando last week.  The future is here, Skynet is self-aware, and we are pretty much fucked.

Something else I learned is that Turkish military guys look very sad when they're interested in your product and then they realize you're US based so BAM ITAR.
ETA: as someone who deals in automation, PID tuning is a bitch.
View Quote

Haha try computer vision  (In all honesty though, control theory melts my brain)

Just curious, are you involved with a lot of the AUVSI events or just the one down in FL?
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Alright I've read most of these threads and am still confused, there are just too many levels to this stuff. If someone can post or IM me an answer to a couple of question I'd appreciate it. I'd like to get a DJI Phantom 2 with the H3-3D gimbal so I can use my own GoPro 3+ but would like to do FPV flying with my iPad Air as the monitor. I'm just interested in video/photography with as a  safe a set-up as possible so my investment isn't unnecessarily jeopardized...
1. Besides the Phantom and 3D gimbal, what else do I need for FPV with my iPad?
2. Is it cheaper more effective to use something besides an iPad?
3. What other questions about the above set-up/needs am I not asking but should be?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Alright I've read most of these threads and am still confused, there are just too many levels to this stuff. If someone can post or IM me an answer to a couple of question I'd appreciate it. I'd like to get a DJI Phantom 2 with the H3-3D gimbal so I can use my own GoPro 3+ but would like to do FPV flying with my iPad Air as the monitor. I'm just interested in video/photography with as a  safe a set-up as possible so my investment isn't unnecessarily jeopardized...
3. What other questions about the above set-up/needs am I not asking but should be?
Thanks!
View Quote

You will not be able to use the IPad with the P2.  You will need a 5.8mhz FPV system.  You asked this on the other thread and I assumed DJI explained this in your email.  The reason is the P2 operates at 2.4 ghz.  The P2V works on 5.8Ghz.  Wifi operates on 2.4 ghz.  You cannot run wifi with a quad that operates on 2.4 ghz because of interference with the flight control.  That is why the P2V is able to transmit FPV via WiFi.  Using almost any other quad other than the FC40 or the P2V you will need a separate FPV setup.  DJI makes a system specifically for the P2.  Do a little more searching.  All this info is in the thread link I posted and that forum is the ARFcom of RC.  All your questions can be answered there by much more knowledgeable RC enthusiast.  The GoPro can be used as the FPV camera via a special cable that plugs into the FPV transmitter but it will not be using WiFi to send that signal to the ground station.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You will not be able to use the IPad with the P2.  You will need a 5.8mhz FPV system.  You asked this on the other thread and I assumed DJI explained this in your email.  The reason is the P2 operates at 2.4 ghz.  The P2V works on 5.8Ghz.  Wifi operates on 2.4 ghz.  You cannot run wifi with a quad that operates on 2.4 ghz because of interference with the flight control.  That is why the P2V is able to transmit FPV via WiFi.  Using almost any other quad other than the FC40 or the P2V you will need a separate FPV setup.  DJI makes a system specifically for the P2.  Do a little more searching.  All this info is in the thread link I posted and that forum is the ARFcom of RC.  All your questions can be answered there by much more knowledgeable RC enthusiast.  The GoPro can be used as the FPV camera via a special cable that plugs into the FPV transmitter but it will not be using WiFi to send that signal to the ground station.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks!

DJI just said it wouldn't work, didn't offer any advice on what would. Funny, you'd think they'd want to make a sale. I've read all those threads (well just about all of them) and every time I think I have my questions answered it feels like I'm starting over. I was looking at their Lightbridge and then about fell out of my chair when I saw the price. Sounds like I need to ditch the iPad idea. I research the shit out of things and am a quick study on stuff, usually, this is making me feel like a grade schooler.
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top