Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2013 5:19:28 AM EDT
Looking at riding lawn mowers in the 46in class. Narrowed it down to a few and there's a few hundred dollar difference between the same model one with an automatic trans and the other with hydrostatic. What the hell is the difference and should I care to pay more for hydrostatic?
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 5:22:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I take it you do not understand the difference?
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 5:23:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I take it you do not understand the difference?

Nope. Dad has had the same John Deere for 14 years and I don't think he had the option. I noticed it when comparing and figured I'd start a discussion.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 5:29:03 AM EDT
[#3]

A cheap 'automatic' often means a single-speed forward-reverse gearbox with a variable pulley on it. Speed changes as tension on the belt causes the pulley to effectively change size.

A hydrostatic is a nicer, more variable, more mechanically complicated system. Automatics, IME, don't offer enough variability in speed. Mine mowed fine, but didn't have any speed at the top end.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 5:32:34 AM EDT
[#4]
HS is great if you do a lot of forwards and backwards work.

I bought my tractor with HS as I use my FEL for dirt work 70% of the time.

I would recommend it if you will be backing up or working tight areas.  If you just have a big flat square yard, you probably will not need it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 5:34:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

A cheap 'automatic' often means a single-speed forward-reverse gearbox with a variable pulley on it. Speed changes as tension on the belt causes the pulley to effectively change size.

A hydrostatic is a nicer, more variable, more mechanically complicated system. Automatics, IME, don't offer enough variability in speed. Mine mowed fine, but didn't have any speed at the top end.

Ok, so while a bit more expensive I can get more out of the hydrostatic when using it for everything from mowing to hauling some lumber or other materials?
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 6:59:40 AM EDT
[#6]

This is the front runner:
Ariens 46 in. 22 HP Briggs and Stratton Hydrostatic Front-Engine Riding Mower $1,499.00 and will be deliver assembled to the door.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 7:11:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 7:19:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ariens 46 in. 22 HP Briggs and Stratton Hydrostatic Front-Engine Riding Mower $1,499.00 and will be deliver assembled to the door.

I'm in the fence between the Ariens and Husqvarna. I've got to buy one in the next two weeks myself. Have you looked at the Ariens 20 hp 46" cut? Good reviews, hydro and a good bit cheaper. The single cylinder engine is less appealing then the twin, but the price is right.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 7:40:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in the fence between the Ariens and Husqvarna. I've got to buy one in the next two weeks myself. Have you looked at the Ariens 20 hp 46" cut? Good reviews, hydro and a good bit cheaper. The single cylinder engine is less appealing then the twin, but the price is right.

I read that Husqvarna made Ariens. Maybe I'm mistaken?
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 7:56:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

MTD bought Arens years ago.

Go with the hydrostat trans.

Link Posted: 4/27/2013 8:28:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MTD bought Arens years ago.

Go with the hydrostat trans.

Got a source? Everything I have read indicates Ariens is still in business and they contract with Husqvarna to make their lawn mowers.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've read the same thing as well, however the specs are not the same on the two lines.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've read the same thing as well, however the specs are not the same on the two lines.

I'm seeing that and now I've added this to my list:

Husqvarna
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 9:56:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Husqvarna/AYP Brands owned or Made for
Husqvarna
Craftsman Made For Sears
Poulan
Poulan Pro
Weed eater
Ariens Lawn & Yard Tractros Made For Ariens
Ryobi Lawn tractors that were sold at Home Depot
Black Max sold at Sams Club

Snapper was Bought by Simplicity. Then Simplicity was bought by Briggs and Stratton,

So Briggs own or Manufactures The following Brands
Simplicity
Snapper
AGCO outdoor Power in U.S.
Massey-Ferguson Outdoor Power in U.S. MTD makes MF in europe
Ferris
Brute
Murray. Murray Garden Tractors outside of U.S. made by Husqvarna/AYP
John Deere Push mowers Currently made by Briggs at snapper Plants

MTD makes alot of diffrent tractors an equipment for all diffrent Manufacturers
Currently they Make the Toro Lawn and Garden tractors since 2007
They have made snow blowers under the Frontier Label for JD

MTD Brands:
MTD
MTD PRO
BOLENS as of 2001
WHITE OUTDOOR as of 1981
YARDMAN as of 1975
MASSEY-FERGUSON in Europe AS OF 2006
LAWNFLITE
COLUMBIA
TORO tractors as of 2007
TROY-BILT as of 2001
CUB CADET AS OF April 1981.
SCOTTS all wheel steer tractors

Link Posted: 4/27/2013 10:05:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Husqvarna

That's the one I want and will buy if I can afford it when purchasing time comes. A lot depends on how much extra my upcoming move costs me.  Although the reviews on the 20 horse Ariens make it tempting as well, give that it is $400 cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 10:47:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Bought the same mower last year and love it,(Ariens 46 22 hp)

Was a huge improvement over a 10hp craftsman that i had for 26 years.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Husqvarna

That's the one I want and will buy if I can afford it when purchasing time comes. A lot depends on how much extra my upcoming move costs me.  Although the reviews on the 20 horse Ariens make it tempting as well, give that it is $400 cheaper.

I figure the extra year of warranty, less weight, cruise control, and name are going to push me in that direction
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Husqvarna

I have this one its been great over the last four years zero problems
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Hydrostatic will last longer than the mower. The auto will not...
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 12:55:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Husqvarna

I have this one its been great over the last four years zero problems

Oh, cool. Thanks. Any other insights?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top