Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/25/2013 7:45:50 AM EDT
Cool shit!

Grenade 'jumps' above target area after it has landed and then explodes for maximum target damage. Product of Swedish innovation

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f44_1366879511
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:48:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Cool shit!

Grenade 'jumps' above target area after it has landed and then explodes for maximum target damage. Product of Swedish innovation

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:50:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:51:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Pic of it in testing.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:51:47 AM EDT
[#4]
like a mobile bouncing betty.

Harsh business.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:51:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:51:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the idea, but when you throw a grenade behind cover, do you normally take cover yourself?  You'll need to do so with this device.  If you're caught in the open and need to throw a grenade over a wall that is less than the height of this jump, you're going to be in the blast radius.

I've never served or been in combat.  Anyone with experience want to say if my concerns are valid?
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:52:39 AM EDT
[#7]
That's bad ass.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:52:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:53:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd like two six packs to go please.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:53:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Like a bouncing betty landmine?
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:54:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Creative, but what if it lands on a slope and bounces the wrong way?
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:57:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I like the idea, but when you throw a grenade behind cover, do you normally take cover yourself?  You'll need to do so with this device.  If you're caught in the open and need to throw a grenade over a wall that is less than the height of this jump, you're going to be in the blast radius.

I've never served or been in combat.  Anyone with experience want to say if my concerns are valid?

Outside extreme circumstances, you always throw them hard enough so you are outside the blast radius.

Potato masher type grenades usually fly the farthest.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:58:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah, there's a lot of unpredictability involved here. Say you throw it through a window, or into a small cave entrance or something. This grenade is really only at it's best in relatively open terrain, where air support or artillery could likely do the same thing, but better.

A cool idea, but the more I think about it, the less practical it seems. FWIW, I've never thrown a hand grenade in combat, I just carried them around because they make you look cool.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, there's a lot of unpredictability involved here. Say you throw it through a window, or into a small cave entrance or something. This grenade is really only at it's best in relatively open terrain, where air support or artillery could likely do the same thing, but better.

A cool idea, but the more I think about it, the less practical it seems. FWIW, I've never thrown a hand grenade in combat, I just carried them around because they make you look cool.

I threw one at basic.  That's about it for me.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 7:59:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Oops, thought this was a Gen 4 Glock thread
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:00:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not  a problem if done correctly.
You throw it after burning off enough fuze time so it can't roll far or be thrown back at you.

The idea is to get fragments down into foxholes and behind small walls.

Those are the two most common concealment areas for troops.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:01:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You throw it after burning off enough fuze time so it can't roll far or be thrown back at you.

Can you "cook off" this hand grenade without it going all bouncy on you?
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:03:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can see an enemy combatant picking one up and having it pop out of his hand...he would have a split second to think, "Well, it was just my hand...could have been worse."
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:03:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Awesome, can't wait for these to start showing up at gun shows.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:04:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:04:48 AM EDT
[#21]
So basically this makes up for their inability to throw a grenade over a barrier?

They need more baseball players....
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:05:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Watching the slo-mo part of the video, there's an initial explosion which propels it into the air.  Unless the grenade knows which part of it is on the ground, I suspect that it's an explosion across the entire surface of the grenade.  IF that's the case, then if it goes off in the air there will be no jump.

Not sure how they would disable the jump completely, but it might be possible.  Seems like it'd be yet another thing that could go wrong though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:05:41 AM EDT
[#23]
If one grenade doesn't work, then throw 2 grenades....expend all grenades....

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:05:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:07:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Throw a shock charge next to it to slow the bad guys down.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:08:11 AM EDT
[#26]
"Hey dickhead you were short with your throw.  It landed in front of the wall."

"No problem we'll just take cover her....." *sproing*

*both look up*

"Fuck"

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:08:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Excellent.

I can haz a gross?
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:09:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Guess the days of throwing it back or jumping on are out.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:09:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Batter up
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:10:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Fuck yeah. A grenade with the shoulder thingy that goes up!!
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:10:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Harsh business.

That is pretty nasty looking.

So much for the greanade sump.

just have to out angle and dig them deeper
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:11:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Cool
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:11:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Here is the U.S. model.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:12:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Guess the days of throwing it back or jumping on are out.

I could see a guy yelling "grenade!" and trying to jump on it only to have it jump out of the way...
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:12:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Much deeper apparently.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:15:03 AM EDT
[#36]
I've thrown numerous M67s throughout my career, been issued frags for combat (that was an ominous feeling), and been the "pit NCO" & "pit SNCO" for more than a few training evolutions.

I foresee several training accidents occurring with a bouncing grenade of this type.  

I've had a Marine so incapable of, or so freaked out about throwing a frag, that he barely got it over the berm so that it (thankfully) rolled down to the ground in front of the pit and exploded a few feet away from us while we took cover as is SOP.  That was *interesting*.  Had it been one that "bounded", I would have been forced to sacrifice the Marine to ensure my safety so that training could continue for the day.    

Yea, I see problems with such the concept.

Oh, and by MCO (not sure what it is in the Army-probably the same), at least two and maybe three (can't remember) practice grenades have to be thrown before a live grenade is thrown down range, in case you were wondering.  Some people just freak when it comes to frags.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:17:07 AM EDT
[#37]
WOW
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:17:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:17:27 AM EDT
[#39]
wouldn't just taking a regular grenade and coating it with superball rubber have done the same thing?
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:20:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Needs to start playing "pop goes the weasel" as soon as you pull the pin...

Once activated, the bouncing grenade is not your friend.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:20:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I've thrown numerous M67s throughout my career, been issued frags for combat (that was an ominous feeling), and been the "pit NCO" & "pit SNCO" for more than a few training evolutions.

I foresee several training accidents occurring with a bouncing grenade of this type.  

I've had a Marine so incapable of, or so freaked out about throwing a frag, that he barely got it over the berm so that it (thankfully) rolled down to the ground in front of the pit and exploded a few feet away from us while we took cover as is SOP.  That was *interesting*.  Had it been one that "bounded", I would have been forced to sacrifice the Marine to ensure my safety so that training could continue for the day.    

Yea, I see problems with such the concept.

Oh, and by MCO (not sure what it is in the Army-probably the same), at least two and maybe three (can't remember) practice grenades have to be thrown before a live grenade is thrown down range, in case you were wondering.  Some people just freak when it comes to frags.

We had to throw the empty bottom practice grenades first.  Then we got "the speech" before we threw the frag grenade.  It gave the drill sergeants an excuse to ruff up the private they didn't like during the demonstration lol,  "First they will try to throw you out of the foxhole if you drop the grenade.  If you fight them, you will be throw down so they can get out of the foxhole."  Or something along those lines, it was a long time ago.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:20:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:20:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Watching the slo-mo part of the video, there's an initial explosion which propels it into the air.  Unless the grenade knows which part of it is on the ground, I suspect that it's an explosion across the entire surface of the grenade.  IF that's the case, then if it goes off in the air there will be no jump.

Not sure how they would disable the jump completely, but it might be possible.  Seems like it'd be yet another thing that could go wrong though.

Grenade bounces up do to the refraction of the initial charge.

If it went off in the air, it would just explode normally.

C_H, the "cook off" refers to pulling the pin, letting the spoon fly and the counting to X to get the right amount of remaining fuse time to flight time depending on distance.
It would be the same regardless if it is a bouncing grenade, flash bang or classic frag.

NATO grenades have a 3-5 second total fuse burn time.
Hopefully, you aren't holding a short fused reject.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Cool shit!

So what happens when it does not land properly and jumps back towards the thrower.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:24:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Some people just freak when it comes to frags.

I never freaked when it came to frags, just made my palms sweat.

Holding a live grenade with a 3-5 second fuse, made by the lowest bidder, for three seconds before throwing really tests the nerves.

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:24:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Harsh business.

That is pretty nasty looking.

So much for the greanade sump.

Ya, well, I'll volunteer you to carry the new sump digger!

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:26:39 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Like a bouncing betty landmine?

Exactly.  I thought they were outlawed.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:26:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holding a live grenade with a 3-5 second fuse, made by the lowest bidder, for three seconds before throwing really tests the nerves.

When I was doing that center of the chest carry to the fox hole I apparently had a strange "look" because they asked me, "Are you ok private"?
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:28:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I was doing that center of the chest carry to the fox hole I apparently had a strange "look" because they asked me, "Are you ok private"?

They always ask that to see your reaction.
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 8:29:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
They always ask that to see your reaction.

Didn't know that

I did a short throw though and I would have liked to seen their faces as they ducked down faster than any two human beings I've ever seen
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top