Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/15/2013 3:08:28 PM EDT
Redoing my deck, and my friend mentioned that I should put in a hot tub.

For those of you with one, or a history of one...

What things would you do differently?

What pearls of wisdom can you give me that will help in buying a good one?

What have you learned which you believe would be beneficial to a new builder/owner?
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#1]
They are easy to wire it yourself, so you can save cash there. Go for the top end and the three major brands.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:12:49 PM EDT
[#2]
They are nice but require frequent monitoring/mainenace. Get a good cover.Go large and get all the bells and whistles.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Pain in the ass, expensive, not worth the trouble.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:13:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Didn't Aimless have one stolen a while back?
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:14:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Prepare for a doubling of your electric bill...
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:15:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Easily stealable.

Ask aimless about it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Friend of mine got a used one.  Cleaned it but not enough and every user the first weekend had a rash.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Agreed, just send me your money. I put it to good use.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:16:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They are nice but require frequent monitoring/mainenace. Get a good cover.Go large and get all the bells and whistles.

Yeah, not much different than a swimming pool AFAIK.

My aunt has one in a cabin she owns, and anytime I decide to rent the cabin for a few days, most of those few days are spent in that hot tub...LOL
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:18:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What is so difficult?

Check chemicals once a week.

The soak 'n' poke makes them worthy. Never mind the other soothing benefits.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:19:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

OMG, this.

Electricity is expensive, chemicals are expensive, and you'll use it a lot less than you'd think.

Sucks to maintain in Winter.

I've had mine drained/Winterized for 3 years now and I don't miss the weekly Check the PH level, level is too high, fix that, oops, Alkalinity is too high...blah blah blah.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:20:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Yea agreed. The house i'm leasing has a hot tub and a swimming pool. If my wife wasn't taking care of them I'd have drained those bitches long ago. Hot tubs aren't too bad for maintenance. Swimming pools are a huge ass pain. I'd rather have a sister in a whorehouse than a swimming pool.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Get a SPACAP! We had the old style foam cover and the new spa cap really kept the heat in better.

http://www.spacap.com/

Plus it was easier to take on and off since it's basically a big air pillow.

I love sitting outside in the hot tub in winter.

Alas our Hotsprings is 21 years old and took a shit last fall. Saving up to get a new one.

Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:23:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:28:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Stay with the top brands, and get a cover. I have one to help my with my pain therapy and it was the best money I have ever spent.

Yes they can be a pain the ass to maintain but shower before using it and keep the lid on it when not in use and that will help with the maintenance and the energy usage. I keep mine indoors because I use mine all the time and don't want to have it inaccessible because of weather.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:29:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:36:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Butt Soup!!!

had one for years--was pretty big  could lay across it eaisliy.
prob would not get that big again--- thinking 400+ gallons

Hotspring.  Liked it--was nice, would buy again.

chemicals---sometimes a pita--but generally no- consider UV and "salt water"

I wired myself, but watch codes--here it was 6' minimum from outside box to tub- and the gfci breakers are spendy.
not to mention the copper wire...

Kids MUST shower and be taught its not a place to piss in.  friend has one he lets the kids play in....that thing has full blown AIDS now..pretty much wrecked.

speaking of covers---anyone know where to get a "decent" cover cheap---said above buddies is trashed---and his is not a major brand...
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:40:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I've had all my wifes friends topless in mine.

[/thread]
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Just keep in mind, after the first year, you won't use it nearly as much.  My wife, who just had to have one hasn't been in ours for about a year.  In fairness she was pregnant for much of that time.

This is an excellent resource for your chemistry-

A lot of people on the forums recommend using simple laundry bleach for sanitizing.  I've done it for the past year with good results and you can't beat the price.  (there are more aspects than just sanitizing, but that's the big one.)

Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Sold mine a while back on craigslist.  Don't miss it at all.  Used it a bunch at first, then hardly ever.  Guess I have a short attention span.

Don't know if the story is true but the ol'boy that bought it from me said they were planning to cut out the floor of his mother in laws trailer to use it for her bath.  Apparently, she was a big gal.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:48:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

[/thread]

I was going to say add a firepit and a pineapple door knocker and the OP would be good to go.  

Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I would tend to agree with this but I have a spa room in my house, it might not be that bad outdoor. Tips, buy high end dont cheap out, do your maitenence, learn to do the chemicals yourself or check and see if you can do saltwater hot tubs, also make sure to cover it every night.

Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#24]

I miss mine so much...

It just plain feels good on the bones.  And sitting shoulder to shoulder in a sea of titties isn't horrible, either.  Something about a hot tub that makes pop topping perfectly acceptable in any company.  

I wouldn't get another one now that I live in the desert, but if I lived someplace like Indiana I would get another one in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Two words

Ass Soup!
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:56:06 PM EDT
[#26]
We've had ours for four years.  We still use it daily.  Keep it clean, keep it balanced.  Buy bigger than you think, get a good insulated cover, get a 220v.  Our bill only went up about $40 monthly after it was installed

I am left to take care of ours.  I check it every three days, clean the filter weekly and treat as needed.  Using it daily, I change the water every 2-3 months and replace the filter as needed (even cleaning only gets so much out).  You learn to feel and smell when the water needs attention.

If you or your family aren't allergic to chlorine or bromine, life will be easier, especially with something like a spa frog which treats slowl and continuosly.  If allergic or rashes break out, use Baqua spa which is peroxide based.  It is what I have to use for the wife.

Ensure your deck is rated to hold the weight.  Ours is ground level under an upper deck.  We had a concrete pad poured and built the lower deck around it.  And being under the upper deck, I wrap the area in heavy plastic in the winter and heat with a Mr. Buddy fed off of a 20# tank.  I can get it in the 60s when it is in the 20s with the hearter and spa open. The area is 10X20' It's our retreat and we enjoy it every night.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Leisure bays are the suck!
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:58:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Ozone system.  Much easier to maintain.

However, mine is pretty much a hole I pour my money into... I very rarely use it.  

I do tend to use it more when there is a woman at the house, though.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:59:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Hot tub=human crockpot
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I've had my Hot Springs spa for 15 years now. Once a week check of chemicals, use bromine in a floater. No rashes or other problems but I don't have lots of people over in it, just me and the woman. Use it almost nightly in the winter.

A Hot Springs is VERY well insulated, bet it doesn't add $10 to the monthly electric bill.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 4:00:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

[/thread]

Even the fat ones?
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 4:05:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

As someone who has owned one, I agree.  They are nice to sit in, but they require more maintenance than my pool.  I sold mine after the new wore off and purchased a nice shed which has proven to be a far better use of space and money.

I will say this.  There is no better way to get a woman naked  

Link Posted: 4/15/2013 4:07:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Soak n Poke is loads of fun. Get one with an Ozone generator and you will expend minimal effort/expense on chemicals.

If you have a party or something and have a bunch of people in it, throw a little scoop of chlorine in there, and in the morning toss in some clarifier. Piece of cake.

Get a good cover, and buy one with good insulation, and you really wont spend that much on power.
Having a warm hottub to retreat too also extends my usable pool season considerably.

All that said, you will use the hell out of it the first three months, and then hardly every after that. I'm glad I have mine, but I got a multithousand dollar unit for $600 because my friend sold his house and wanted to spite the new buyer. If I would have put big money into it, I would be bummed.

For the poster who had everybody getting a rash, check your pH and other levels. If it gets too far off neutral, the water can be pretty irritating.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 4:08:08 PM EDT
[#34]
make sure she swallows and not let it dribble out, not fun to clean
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 4:08:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
We've had ours for four years.  We still use it daily.  Keep it clean, keep it balanced.  Buy bigger than you think, get a good insulated cover, get a 220v.  Our bill only went up about $40 monthly after it was installed

I am left to take care of ours.  I check it every three days, clean the filter weekly and treat as needed.  Using it daily, I change the water every 2-3 months and replace the filter as needed (even cleaning only gets so much out).  You learn to feel and smell when the water needs attention.

If you or your family aren't allergic to chlorine or bromine, life will be easier, especially with something like a spa frog which treats slowl and continuosly.  If allergic or rashes break out, use Baqua spa which is peroxide based.  It is what I have to use for the wife.

Ensure your deck is rated to hold the weight.  Ours is ground level under an upper deck.  We had a concrete pad poured and built the lower deck around it.  And being under the upper deck, I wrap the area in heavy plastic in the winter and heat with a Mr. Buddy fed off of a 20# tank.  I can get it in the 60s when it is in the 20s with the hearter and spa open. The area is 10X20' It's our retreat and we enjoy it every night.

Possible to get pictures of this setup?

Any way of getting the electricity bill down?

SS
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 4:09:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Coney Island whitefish?
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[/thread]

Even the fat ones?

They generally float in water
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#38]
You better heat it with gas or you will double your electric bill.  Remember anything you heat with gas costs roughly half, they are more expensive but do the math on long term costs.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you or your family aren't allergic to chlorine or bromine, life will be easier, especially with something like a spa frog which treat slowl and continuosly.  If allergic or rashes break out, use Baqua spa which is peroxide based.  It is what I have to use for the wife.

Possible to get pictures of this setup?

Any way of getting the electricity bill down?

SS

I will get them for you tomorrow.  On phone currently.
For the cost, it in my opinion is well worth it.  A better cover may help mine but it's $600 to replace mine.  Ours is a three person, but really just for two.

Caldera Kauai

Link Posted: 4/15/2013 4:13:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You better heat it with gas or you will double your electric bill.  Remember anything you heat with gas costs roughly half, they are more expensive but do the math on long term costs.

No it won't.  Mine added maybe $10-$20 a month to my bill.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Two words

Ass Soup!

That's funny.

Americans could learn a thing or two from the Japanese about hot tubs or onsens.

Here's a clue, wash your stank ass before you get in it.

I've had a hot tub for 10 years. Use it mostly in the winter. It's about 15 feet from my 65" TV so it's pretty nice to soak the bones, watch NFL or NHL and get juiced. The one modification I made that you could probably request from the dealer is to install a ball valve with a garden hose fitting on the manifold. Makes draining and cleaning MUCH easier.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Chemicals are not expensive at all if you follow the advice at troublefreepool.com.  The only thing I buy from the spa supplier is testing kits and CYA.  Everything else the grocery or Lowes (bleach, baking soda, muriatic acid).  I was using a commercial product to put in borates but my next fill I'll just use straight boric acid.   5 pounds for 20 bucks should last 2.5 years that's hardly breaking the bank.  

You have a couple of choices in sanitizer, the most important thing to keep in mind is that there is no such thing as "maintenance free"  If you are on a SWG or three step bromine you can probably get away with checking your levels once a week once you have everything stabilized and know how your spa settles.   If you are on manual chlorine you need to be checking/adding chems at most every other day or every three days, but every day is really for the best.

Be careful taking advice from other spa owners and especially dealers.  Really everything you need to know is at troublefreepool.com.  Also poolspaforum.com.

I'm using an aftermarket salt water generator.  If you do the math, compared to the dichlor-then-bleach method this doesn't really save any money, if the generator lasts expected lifespan it ends up being a bit more expensive.  However once you get it dialed in it is fantastic and I almost never have to add sanitizer or really do much of anything unless there is a pool party or something.  

The newer models are supposed to be much more energy efficient, the people at the spa store told me it would only cost 20 bucks a month to run.  Frankly I don't believe them.  I don't know how much it costs and I honestly don't care this house is like fucking las vegas, hot tub energy use is the least of my goddamn worries.

Link Posted: 4/15/2013 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Coney Island whitefish?

3 gHey guys sitting in the hottub.

1 looked down and saw a Coney Island Whitefish floating around and said.....

"OK....who farted!!?"

Link Posted: 4/15/2013 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Before half walls

Ceiling and gutters for rain protection underneath

Wife said electricity bill was more like $20-25 increase.  Again we run it daily for two hours with us in it.

Link Posted: 4/15/2013 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Put it in the house, you will use it more.

AB
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This. I regret putting mine in.
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Before half walls

Ceiling and gutters for rain protection underneath

Wife said electricity bill was more like $20-25 increase.  Again we run it daily for two hours with us in it.

All but finished in walls?  Thanks for the pictures.

We have a $500 intex pool my wife loves but doesn't really take care of. I would use a hot tub.  I like the price of buying used but I don't think I could.

SS
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Back when I was single it was the #1 tail getting investment I ever made....... I got so much ass from that thing it wasn't even fair. Now that I am married I have no desire to have one as the divorce would cost me dearly!
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Half walls keep kitteh inside area for outside play time.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top