Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2013 9:12:17 PM EDT
My sink sprung a leak at the tailpiece.  That's the piece that connects the sink's drain to the P-trap.

I'm wide awake now and I want to fix it RFN.  Why in the world don't they keep at least one store open 24 hours in a major city like freaking Houston?  I'd be willing to drive 45 minutes to go buy it.

Fuck.

Link Posted: 4/3/2013 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Because they'd sell one $4 part a night.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 9:14:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I dunno, charge double between midnight and 5am.  I'd pay it.

Shit.

Link Posted: 4/3/2013 9:15:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think they do them 24 hour anywhere anymore.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 9:15:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno, charge double between midnight and 5am.  I'd pay it.

Shit.

Still not taking into account all of the Sharkbites they'd lose to meth addicts wandering the aisles at 3AM.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#5]
big nation wide chains that arent 24 hours pisses me off

sometimes you are bored and cant sleep in the middle of the night come the fuck on!
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 9:19:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 9:19:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Portland's metro area is 1/3 the size of Houston's, and we have at least one 24-hour Home Depot.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Walmart has plumbing supplies.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 9:21:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Probably cheap plastic.  Which work just fine.

Link Posted: 4/3/2013 9:21:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Portland's metro area is 1/3 the size of Houston's, and we have at least one 24-hour Home Depot.  

It's a long drive from Texas to Oregon.

Quoted:

If I thought they had this, I'd be there in about 20 minutes.

Link Posted: 4/3/2013 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah. This right here.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably cheap plastic.  Which work just fine.

Fuck it, I'll go look at Wal-Mart.  Need some microwave food anyway since I can't use my GD sink.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 9:26:06 PM EDT
[#14]
nvm

go with Gloftoe

Limited in League City
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#15]
If you've got duct tape you're set...  Just had a galvanized drain pipe rust through in my crawlspace and fixed it with calk and duct tape... at least until I get a chance to cut all that shit out and replace it with PVC.  Too bad they didn't invent PVC pipe 50 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 9:34:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I always wondered why automotive shops don't have a 24/7 shop per city.

Charge double for the convienence of dropping your car off after work, and picking it up before you go in.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 9:34:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Was thinking Walmart too.  Tag for the update.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 9:37:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I hate to break this to you but if your willing to drive to Western North Dakota you will find them open and packed at anytime of the day or night, they are building houses around the clock and still can't keep up.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 9:42:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Because they use the night to restock the store using heavy machinery, etc.  Per company policy during customer hours, you need two employees per piece of heavy machinery.   It truly is a major hassle to do major restocking while there are customers about.  (worked at both companies for about 4 years)
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 9:45:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What one is 24 hours?
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#21]
There was one 24hr Home Depot in Hollywood CA but I don't know if it's still open and or still 24hr.

Walmart was a good suggestion.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#22]
610 N Loop at Ella. I think its a HD. used to be open 24/7

Well sorry, looks like 6 - 2200 like the rest now. Probably robbed too many times.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
610 N Loop at Ella. I think its a HD. used to be open 24/7

Well sorry, looks like 6 - 2200 like the rest now. Probably robbed too many times.

Too close to the ghetto....
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#25]

This.  You should have 30 years worth stock piled for TEOTWAWKI anyway.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 10:34:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Walmart was a good suggestion.

Yes it was.  $4 for the tailpiece.  $2 for a new flange.  Had to cut the plastic tailpiece to length but that was easy.  Filled the sink up and let it drain and no leaks.  

TY arfcom and FU home depot.

Link Posted: 4/3/2013 10:47:40 PM EDT
[#27]
When I had my house built the plumber used all SCH40 .

Something to think about.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 10:51:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

And I'm guessing less illegal aliens?

The theft in Houston would be by the truck load.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 10:55:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Cool, OP.  In Walmart we trust.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By GraniteClimber

Quoted:

What one is 24 hours?

+1, I've never heard of this. All the Home Depot's I know of in the metro area are 6a-10p. I worked at one last year for a few months, night shift freight. There ARE people working there at night, moving pallets around and restocking shelves. Of course they turn off half or 2/3's the lights, makes it kinda hard to see sometimes...

Link Posted: 4/3/2013 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#31]
These are the situations that 3D printing was totally made for.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 11:02:18 PM EDT
[#32]
I remember when Wal-Marts were your 24HR mini-Home Depot, and I'm only 32.

Then there was a brief period all the stuff you actually needed at 2:00AM wasn't around.

Pretty glad to see it all starting to trickle back in. As much as I loathe Wal-Mart (mainly because the one near me Ghetto-Mart Max), its good to see them going back to being a place with shit you needed and wanted.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 11:11:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 4:21:02 AM EDT
[#34]
There used to be one in Houston, 610 on the north side.  The changed the hours a few years ago though.

I totally agree with you, we need one.

Brad
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 4:31:26 AM EDT
[#35]
No shit. The pipe from the sump pump sprung a leak late at night right before having to leave for a week on spring break.  I did use duct tape and put a plastic tray under it so hopefully should hold. Luckily the forecast is dry the entire week. Murphy's law.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 4:34:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Electricity and wages are expensive.  If it costs more to keep the store open than they take in during that time, what's the point?

Having worked for Home Depot (one of the worst employers in The United States of America,) the reason for closing the store at night has to do with safety and restocking. If you've ever been in there when they were stocking a pallet of goods on a high shelf, you've seen them close multiple aisles and use multiple employees to enforce the barricades.

This is not silliness. Imagine if you were in the next aisle when someone accidentally pushed a pallet too far and knocked something into that aisle from the top rack. The regulations are part OSHA, part lawsuit, and part common sense. They have to replace the goods they sold every day. This involves multiple trucks and forklifts. If they could keep a cash register open, they'd do it. But it is far more efficient to close the store while they restock.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 4:37:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If you've got duct tape you're set...  Just had a galvanized drain pipe rust through in my crawlspace and fixed it with calk and duct tape... at least until I get a chance to cut all that shit out and replace it with PVC.  Too bad they didn't invent PVC pipe 50 years ago.

Actually that silicone self fusing tape works great for that. I always make sure I have some of that in the house. And epoxy putty.

Ironically I just had to do that this week, I discovered a leaky connection under the sink. It was a drain pipe making it even easier.

I read of people even fixing pressurized leaks with that stuff. Really seals electrical stuff too.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 4:40:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Because WalMart already has "People of WalMart" and one 24 hr reality show is enough.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 4:43:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
There used to be one in Houston, 610 on the north side.  The changed the hours a few years ago though.

I totally agree with you, we need one.

Brad

A couple years ago, there used to be a 24 hour Lowe's in Clear Lake.  I worked nights at one of the hospitals there and could go on my lunch break to grab whatever I needed.  Was really convenient, but they ended up changing the hours and I think later closing the store.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 4:48:56 AM EDT
[#40]
I used to work 2200-0600 at a lowe's that was open 0600-2200.  Nobody came in the store after about 2000.  We would sell maybe $100 of stuff from 2000-2200 in a store that did 20M a year.  Imagine what it would cost to have a cashier all night, and likely a security guard or two to deal with the drunks and thieves, as well as a manager to deal with the salesfloor, just to sell maybe one or two $4 parts a night?  Then think of what it would cost the night stocking crew who has to vastly reduce the amount of equipment they can use while the store is open.  Huge pain in the ass.  It works for walmart because they sell food/clothes as well which draws in a lot more people and they don't use major equipment to do their stocking process.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 4:50:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Why in the world don't they keep at least one store open 24 hours in a major city like freaking Houston?  I'd be willing to drive 45 minutes to go buy it.

Fuck.

Because selfish fucks like you forget that people who work retail are people too.  That they have lives.  That they have families.  They already work every holiday and most weekends.  Maybe they should be allowed to go home at 8-9pm
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 4:53:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually that silicone self fusing tape works great for that. I always make sure I have some of that in the house. And epoxy putty.

Ironically I just had to do that this week, I discovered a leaky connection under the sink. It was a drain pipe making it even easier.

I read of people even fixing pressurized leaks with that stuff. Really seals electrical stuff too.
Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I like the aluminum (?) tape with the horrendously sticky backing. Goes on and stays on even through water. Just wrap above and below the leak until you have time to fix it right. I think with that, you have to cut the pipe out, because you're not getting that tape off.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 4:54:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Why in the world don't they keep at least one store open 24 hours in a major city like freaking Houston?  I'd be willing to drive 45 minutes to go buy it.

Fuck.

Because selfish fucks like you forget that people who work retail are people too.  That they have lives.  That they have families.  They already work every holiday and most weekends.  Maybe they should be allowed to go home at 8-9pm

I work nights in a hospital.  If you selfish fucks wouldn't take bath salts and then come to the ER at 2am, I might be able to stay home too.

Link Posted: 4/4/2013 4:56:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Fuck.

Huh.. i didn't realize stores like that forced their employees to work one shift from opening to closing.  Silly me thought people worked regular 8 hour shifts, and that longer hours would be covered by more people (of course, more jobs for people is a bad thing too i guess).
Nor did i realize that people were being forced to work retail.. those poor slaves.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 5:19:15 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Originally Posted By GraniteClimber

Quoted:

What one is 24 hours?

+1, I've never heard of this. All the Home Depot's I know of in the metro area are 6a-10p. I worked at one last year for a few months, night shift freight. There ARE people working there at night, moving pallets around and restocking shelves. Of course they turn off half or 2/3's the lights, makes it kinda hard to see sometimes...

Looks like I was mistaken.  The one just off I-5 in Tigard used to be 24-hour, but now it's just 6a-10p.

Link Posted: 4/4/2013 5:25:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top